• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ version of Driveclub will have 5 tracks (1 country) and 10 cars.

Juzie

Neo Member
Here's what is either being missed or just is outright being ignored to continue this carnival - Why in the living hell would or should it matter if it was 6 tracks/20 cars and now it's 5 tracks (11 variations)/10 cars when this was going to be a FREE offering to Plus members which was a widely heralded decision given how lots of people here are excited and there are fence sitters.

Hey do you want a free Cookie? Just drop a 5 dollar bill in that Donation Box over there along with your name and address.

orochi91

The "bu bu but they promised!" posts are making me laugh the most. Like they're new to gaming or something. I'm all for bashing the man when they deserve it. But crying over something free is ridiculous. If you have such a hard on for the game surely you were going to buy the full game, right?

That's the crux of this debate. People were banking on the Plus version as being
a substitute for the full retail copy. Pathetic, really.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
so is this more of a principal thing, are you guys going to buy or not buy #driveclub now.

If this thread is anything to go by then it has to have not 5 but 6 tracks and not 10 but 12 cars and every single SP feature and mode.

Here's what I said once and I will repeat it again

Here's what is either being missed or just is outright being ignored to continue this carnival - Why in the living hell would or should it matter if it was 6 tracks/20 cars and now it's 5 tracks (11 variations)/10 cars when this was going to be a FREE offering to Plus members which was a widely heralded decision given how lots of people here are excited and there are fence sitters.

Outside of the possible changes to the amount of content, would 1 extra track and 5 more cars really make you say this is better than to at least be able to give a good chunk of this game a whirl with lots of the features in there? A demo would be a more accurate description after typing this post but surely even the concern trolls would agree that 5 tracks with 11 variations, 10 cars, and a good chunk of the SP isn't what would be considered bad right? RIGHT?

My goodness if this heavily bloated thread is not worthy of some of the negativity being spit out on a solid developer.

It's a demo with trophies and the ability to carry over data from it to the main game. I don't see the big deal, it's better than ridiculous micro-transactions for the full game, seeing as those are covered in the asking price of the game itself.

LiquidMetal14

Hey do you want a free Cookie? Just drop a 5 dollar bill in that Donation Box over there along with your name and address.

I suppose you think your half witted and meaningless contribution to this thread wins you anything. Me acknowledging your irrelevance should make you feel good enough and you can make sure to tell your friends and family that an internet poster quoted you and made your night. If that's why you posted that then feel good about yourself. I will stick to the subject at hand and refrain from sinking as low but don't expect me to not react and answer an asinine remark without putting you in your place.

PS+ is free?
DRIVE CLUB is free to Plus members. How hard is that to digest. This has been known since reveal. Are we going to try to move the goalposts now and try to knock this now for being a good "demo" being put up for Plus members and giving those very members a discount on the full release or are we going to continue to ignore that nice gesture?

Just admit you want the cookie.

My 4 year old handles that business.

Juzie

Neo Member
It's a demo with trophies and the ability to carry over data from it to the main game. I don't see the big deal, it's better than ridiculous micro-transactions for the full game, seeing as those are covered in the asking price of the game itself.

It's not a demo though, it's being labelled as our feature full game in a future PS+ offering.

People were misled. And they're in the right to be disappointed.

Misled by what? their own interpretation of what "few" means.

If few means 3 to you then you know it doesn't mean that to Rushy because it would be crazy for them to release a $60 game with 3 tracks removed for free on PS+.

I think "it's the full game with fewer cars and tracks" is an appropriate phrase for him to use, but turning few into a pronoun to replace an actual number was a mistake and when things turned crazy few=5 tracks? 10 tracks? 25 cars? etc...

Slashlen

I suppose you think your half witted and meaningless contribution to this thread wins you anything. Me acknowledging your irrelevance should make you feel good enough and you can make sure to tell your friends and family that an internet poster quoted you and made your night. If that's why you posted that then feel good about yourself. I will stick to the subject at hand and refrain from sinking as low but don't expect me to not react and answer an asinine remark without putting you in your place.

Just admit you want the cookie.

213372bu

Banned
The "bu bu but they promised!" posts are making me laugh the most. Like they're new to gaming or something. I'm all for bashing the man when they deserve it. But crying over something free is ridiculous. If you have such a hard on for the game surely you were going to buy the full game, right?

So I should buy a full priced game after the developers manipulated the "full SP experience" despite now being only given 20% of that in the free version. I don't monetarily support developers if they're just going both ways you can interpret this situation :

1. Developers who manipulate consumers by stating things such as having the "full experience" despite being locked out of almost all of the content. Basically boiling it down to "yeah you can do all the things that people who played full-price for the game do" with the legal note being *In the 20% of the section that is provided to you
  2. Or, you can see it as developers going back on their word and simply cutting content from the game to turn their game into a profit.

At this point in time, I'm just going to see how the developers react.

Juzie

Neo Member
Misled by what? their own interpretation of what "few" means.

If few means 3 to you then you know it doesn't mean that to Rushy because it would be crazy for them to release a $60 game with 3 tracks removed for free on PS+.

I think "it's the full game with fewer cars and tracks" is an appropriate phrase for him to use, but turning few into a pronoun to replace an actual number is when it turns crazy few=5 tracks? 10 tracks? 25 cars? etc...

This post thanks to dictionary.com

Few: a small number of.

and to avoid further confusion

Small: insignificant; unimportant.

Now that you know this, read what they promised IN AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT - This edit for a certain apologist a FEW; Meaning 2, not 500 :) posts below mine

213372bu

Banned
That's the crux of this debate. People were banking on the Plus version as being
a substitute for the full retail copy. Pathetic, really.

Man, those broad generalizations of quoting "that one guy" who doesn't get it and is arguing for all the wrong reasons, while ignoring the people who are genuinely concerned.

That's the crux of this debate. Pathetic, really.

golem

Of course it includes single player. It includes single player as a game mode. Obviously you can't complete it because the tracks are all not there. If you were going to argue otherwise, show me some racing games were you can "complete" the single player campaign without beating all the tracks they made for you and the percentage of such games out there.

It doesnt sound like a full game to me where you cant actually complete one of the game modes.

But we're down to arguing semantics so i guess theres no point to this.

LiquidMetal14

So I should buy a full priced game after the developers manipulated the "full SP experience" despite now being only given 20% of that in the free version. I don't monetarily support developers if they're just going both ways you can interpret this situation :

1. Developers who manipulate consumers by stating things such as having the "full experience" despite being locked out of almost all of the content. Basically boiling it down to "yeah you can do all the things that people who played full-price for the game do" with the legal note being *In the 20% of the section that is provided to you
  2. Or, you can see it as developers going back on their word and simply cutting content from the game to turn their game into a profit.

Let me reiterate for the 3rd time since I want to see someone poke holes to this point.

Outside of the possible changes to the amount of content, would 1 extra track and 5 more cars really make you say this is better than to at least be able to give a good chunk of this game a whirl with lots of the features in there? A demo would be a more accurate description after typing this post but surely even the concern trolls would agree that 5 tracks with 11 variations, 10 cars, and a good chunk of the SP isn't what would be considered bad right? RIGHT?

- NOTE, I'm bolding it this time because I feel this is incredibly stripped down to the point remarking on how this situation is and certainly is not worthy of some of the vitriol in this thread.

Now, are you really basing your decision to buy this on what they said last year and how you interpreted it? It was free then to Plus and it is now. You get a good taste of what the game is about including online features. Are you just moving the goal posts or were you that interested to begin with that you would have been fine with a stripped down version of game that if so good, would entice you enough to pay for the full version at a discount for Plus members? Can I not be clearer or you want to play the "they lied to us card"?

This post thanks to dictionary.com

Few: a small number of.

and to avoid further confusion

Small: insignificant; unimportant.

Now that you know this, read what they promised again.

That was the point of my post, he used the word incorrectly, to the dictionary definition, because you would be crazy to think they were going to release the game for free with "a small number" or "insignificant" amount of tracks/cars missing.

But I use the words few/fewer to mean anything from 3 - 1000 depending on the question, so the amount of content hasn't shocked me especially when it is similar to GT5 Prologue.

Synth

If this thread is anything to go by then it has to have not 5 but 6 tracks and not 10 but 12 cars and every single SP feature and mode.

Here's what I said once and I will repeat it again

My goodness if this heavily bloated thread is not worthy of some of the negativity being spit out on a solid developer.

To be fair, regardless of if people should've known better or not, in terms of what to expect from the free version. Saying the free version is the full game except maybe a few cars and tracks, really does not sound like it could be talking about the vast majority of the cars and tracks. That's why people are disappointed. You can use whatever definition of the word "few" you like, but unless the game had a max of two countries, and very few cars before, then there was always more than "a few" being but from it.

I think this alone wouldn't have created a monster thread such as this, but there have been plenty of people, who because they aren't disappointed have tried telling those that are that they have no right to be, and that they need to quit being whining, entitled, cheap bastards essentially. This has caused both sides to argue back and forth more intensively than was ever necessary.

Yes, the current offering is not a rip off.
Yes, it is a demo really.
Yes, it has far more content than pretty much all other game demos.
No, it is not wrong to feel disappointed by it, because the words from the dev convinced people that it was something else initially... regardless of how unlikely that scenario may seem now.

As in being able to shape its entire direction? No, I don't think he does. There's enough Windows 8 in the Xbox One to determine that it's being influenced by MS' "one screen" vision as a whole rather than being the vision of a single unit (or person) within the company.

EDIT: I think I need to clarify here for anyone seeing this post and not the chain that lead to it. Yes, Penello's BS should be called out. I'm just saying that Rushy's claims here are equally valid for scrutiny.

He is a Senior Director of Product Planning . He is over the Xbox brand products and he cannot shape the direction?

You do realize how incredibly crazy that sounds and the fact that you are trying to compare him to Rush (who at the time of the post was not the directer of the game) is really stretching it.

Can I have a year of Plus? Apparently I'm an idiot for paying for it when you can get it for free.

PS+ is free?

As pointed out in a very direct manner by macewank

That's flawed logic.

If you're paying monthly to be able to play Driveclub PS+ for free, then yes, there is a cost associated. If you're paying monthly for any other reason then Driveclub PS+ is free.

If I buy 10 cups of coffee at Starbucks and get a complimentary coffee, that cup of coffee did not cost me $cup x 10. It cost $0. I got what I paid for originally, and this was a bonus.

So unless you guys are stating that you signed up for PS plus solely for driveclub then the game is an added freebie thrown in, for using the service. You are not actually paying for one particular title when the service is offered.

Edit: At this point in time, I feel the discussion will go around in circles but personally I think the reactions are overblown even though I understand the situation that caused it. People need to have more reasonable expectations imo.

Juzie

Neo Member
No.. it hasn't. They just said the PS+ edition of Driveclub will release at the same time as the full game.

Yes it has. PS+ Offers one feature full game per month (sometimes more but that's not the point). DriveClub Demo is being passed as that full game, unless of course they compensate us by giving us an extra feature full game. There is a problem there.

LiquidMetal14

To be fair, regardless of if people should've known better or not, in terms of what to expect from the free version. Saying the free version is the full game expect maybe a few cars and tracks, really does not sound like it could be talking about the vast majority of the cars and tracks. That's why people are disappointed. You can use whatever definition of the word "few" you like, but unless the game had a max of two countries, and very few cars before, then there was always more than "a few" being but from it.

I think this alone wouldn't have created a monster thread such as this, but there have been plenty of people, who because they aren't disappointed have tried telling those that are that they have no right to be, and that they need to quit being whining, entitled, cheap bastards essentially. This has caused both sides to argue back and forth more intensively than was ever necessary.

Yes, the current offering is not a rip off.
Yes, it is a demo really.
Yes, it has far more content than pretty much all other game demos.
No, it is not wrong to feel disappointed by it, because the words from the dev convinced people that it was something else initially... regardless of how unlikely that scenario may seem now.
Fair enough points. I still vehemently stand by what I said and it's more directed at the more far out remarks but thank you for being concise and well spoken about your point.

AkIRA_22

People are complaining because they have been given something free? I hardly think there were many (if any) that bought PS+ solely for Driveclub, if so... well, your stupidity should be a lesson for the rest of us.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yes it has. PS+ Offers one feature full game per month (sometimes more but that's not the point). DriveClub Demo is being passed as that full game, unless of course they compensate us by giving us an extra feature full game. There is a problem there.

Nobody has said this will be the only game offered. Save your outrage for October.

sneaky77

Have they actually said that Driveclub is the PS+ game for October?

orochi91

Man, those broad generalizations of quoting "that one guy" who doesn't get it and is arguing for all the wrong reasons, while ignoring the people who are genuinely concerned.

I find it hard to sympathize with those that are concerned about this though.
I will try out the Plus version and if I like what I see, I will buy the full retail copy.

That's it. It's that simple.

I will not latch on to what Rushy might have implied prior to the delay and management
change at his studio. Common sense would dictate accordingly.

Take the Plus version for what it is and if one does not like it, simply do not buy the game.
Vote with your wallets folks, not cyclical argument.

viveks86

There is some serious retconning going on here. Until today the argument was always about whether the PS+ version was a glorified demo or not. I'm not sure how and when people started thinking they were getting something even close to the size of the full game. Since the first ever thread made on this game, I've been following them religiously and making sure people aren't misinformed on what the PS+ edition allows you to experience and I've never come across a debate about a "full" single player campaign.

It makes me sad that we've come down to this. What's even more disturbing is that people who intended to only go with the PS+ edition haven't even invested in the game yet. So even if it's scope had changed during the course of development, these people would not have been affected. Anyone claiming they bought a year of PS+ just so they can play driveclub whenever it is released in the future need to consider if they are being honest with fellow posters here, and more importantly, to themselves.

So unless you guys are stating that you signed up for PS plus solely for driveclub then the game is an added freebie thrown in, for using the service. You are not actually paying for one particular title when the service is offered.

That's stupid.

You are paying for every piece of content in every month you are subscribed. So all PS+ subscribers will pay for Driveclub and whatever content releases on October. You're paying the content you get.

LiquidMetal14

In the large picture of it all I will not be upset if this is our Plus game for the respective this comes out but God help all the cynics, if we get this and a free game on Plus for PS4 that month then a lot of the critical people in this thread will be eating some crow.

But I want to be clear on how that is mainly referring to those saying this is a ripoff if this is our free game for that month. I really don't care given Plus has payed off in dividend on those types of arguments are seemingly reaching for straws if now we're trying to criticize the Plus offerings when they have been amazing on tops of the sales but that, to me, is off topic.

That's stupid.

You are paying for every piece of content in every month you are subscribed. So all PS+ subscribers will pay for Driveclub and whatever content releases on October. You're paying the content you get.

And what part of the amazing sales and great offerings is wrong with that still? The goalpost has moved on to Plus and I have no problem rebutting any point anyone tries to make in downplaying if Plus is worth it or not. But if you're making your point on this being the potential free game for that month then you are reaching then. And factually wrong.

Lmao at people and their use of "free".

This is a good point but there is higher chance it's the only game that month. I just hope they don't make the whole Prologue thing a demo.

This is what I think btw BUT God help people if we get this and a full free game/indie.

Slashlen

I signed up for the IGC. Are you saying that I didn't pay for anything? Either your logic is wrong or Plus is a scam.

Still waiting for a Plus code.

Metfanant

do you think the development cost is the same between a AAA title like Driveclub and a game like Mercenary Kings??

offering driveclub through PS+ is a complete break from what is generally offered...which are either smaller titles at launch...or AAA titles that have been out for quite some time...

orochi91

There is some serious retconning going on here. Until today the argument was always about whether the PS+ version was a glorified demo or not. I'm not sure how and when people started thinking they were getting something even close to the size of the full game. Since the first ever thread made on this game, I've been following them religiously and making sure people aren't misinformed on what the PS+ edition allows you to experience and I've never come across a debate about a "full" single player campaign.

It makes me sad that we've come down to this. What's even more disturbing is that people who intended to only go with the PS+ edition haven't even invested in the game yet. So even if it's scope had changed during the course of development, these people would not have been affected. Anyone claiming they bought a year of PS+ just so they can play driveclub whenever it is released in the future need to consider if they are being honest with fellow posters here, and more importantly, to themselves.

A remarkably astute post. I agree.

Mifune

Mehmber
That's stupid.

If in a year you are paying for all the content in that year, then yes most of the games are factually, mathematically, free. Since it only takes like four months to get fifty bucks of value in PS4 games alone.

LiquidMetal14

This is what I was getting to earlier when I posted the same point 3 times. But some other posted will come in and flame or just continue to believe the devs lied to us or maybe we will get an LOL 30fps quip the way this thread has been evolving.

Juzie

Neo Member
If in a year you are paying for all the content in that year, then yes most of the games are factually, statistically, free. Since it only takes like four months to get fifty bucks of value in PS4 games alone.

That's not true at all. When you buy a package that says 1 free full game a month for 12 months. You aren't paying for 11 free full games and a demo.

Wereroku

Actually they give 2 free ps4 games a month it's just that resogun had been the second one since launch. I would guess this takes the place of resogun.

Can I have a year of Plus? Apparently I'm an idiot for paying for it when you can get it for free.

PS+ is free?

And around and around this thread goes. I'm a PS4/PS4/Vita owner. I don't even touch half of the games they give out for free. Either because i don't have any time or just not interested. Why oh why would i bitch about their Oct plus promotions when it's 5 months away? With all the "free" games i get plus enormous discounts that Driveclub+ edition is probably worth 5 cents from the $30 Year Plus card i got on black friday. So yeah, this "demo" is worth the money.

Mifune

Mehmber
That's not true at all. When you buy a package that says 1 free full game a month for 12 months. You aren't paying for 11 free full games and a demo.

For the love of god, nobody has confirmed that this will be the only PS4 Plus game for October. Stop acting like they have.

213372bu

Banned
Let me reiterate for the 3rd time since I want to see someone poke holes to this point.
Oh my god, stop with the passive-aggression.

Because we are missing out on 4/5 countries, which we can safely assume have a proportionate amount of cars and tracks in each country. Assuming this the "few" we are missing out on is as much as 80% of the game.

To be more direct, I was actually going to buy the game, if you didn't read any of the posts you quoted. I don't stand for developers who do the same thing in the exact same quote that you pulled from me. I, once again, have an opinion other than the dolt in this thread making everybody concerned look like an imbecile.

Outside of the possible changes to the amount of content, would 1 extra track and 5 more cars really make you say this is better than to at least be able to give a good chunk of this game a whirl with lots of the features in there?
No, it's because of the two reasons I mentioned above.

A demo would be a more accurate description after typing this post but surely even the concern trolls would agree that 5 tracks with 11 variations, 10 cars, and a good chunk of the SP isn't what would be considered bad right? RIGHT?
Nobody has ever said that. Also your cap locks key is broken, unless you're being "edgy" in that I must point out I'm being really direct and calm.

- NOTE, I'm bolding it this time because I feel this is incredibly stripped down to the point remarking on how this situation is and certainly is not worthy of some of the vitriol in this thread.

Well when you focus on the one idiot in the thread and you have to repeat yourself go figure.

Now, are you really basing your decision to buy this on what they said last year and how you interpreted it? It was free then to Plus and it is now.
Yes, I don't stand for this crap for the sake of gamers. And hey, you're actually responding to my points now.

You get a good taste of what the game is about including online features.
True, this is the only sense where it can be interpreted as a "full experience"

Are you just moving the goal posts
This is my exact position on many topic like this. We know you GAf a lot, no need to say moving the goal posts if you're addressing the average comment though. Or for that matter calling the genuinely concerned trolls.

or were you that interested to begin with that you would have been fine with a stripped down version of game that if so good, would entice you enough to pay for the full version at a discount for Plus members?
Well you started off listening and you ended up totally ignoring my points. Hey, at least you read a sentence though.

Can I not be clearer or you want to play the "they lied to us card"?
Are you purposefully saying this so that so that if I say "they lied/manipulated gamers" it would make it seem like a cop-out decision despite my clear stance on what is going on. Hey, I'm good at mind games too.

Mental gymnastics all up in hurr.

Synth

He is a Senior Director of Product Planning . He is over the Xbox brand products and he cannot shape the direction?

You do realize how incredibly crazy that sounds and the fact that you are trying to compare him to Rush (who at the time of the post was not the directer of the game) is really stretching it.

I'm not really directly comparing them, and would agree that Penello is (or at least was) more senior at the time he made his posts than Rushy was in regards to Driveclub. However both are directly attached to the product they are posting about. Neither has full dominion over that product (do you think Penello could say "no, were not having Windows 8 in there"?). And finally both should be able to easily confirm the details before posting information that would lead their consumer base to expect a product different from what is being delivered.

If a NeoGAF forum post is anywhere near as harmless coming from an employee as is being suggested, then that needs to be the case for all employees within all companies. Hell, we hold 'insiders' accountable here, because a single post CAN make a huge difference... as this situation is currently showing us.

Metfanant

I have no interest in arguing what "slightly" or "few" means. They are not the right words to use, for sure. But I didn't think we would argue semantics for so long. Carry on, Gaf. Vent it all out. When the dust settles, if you still want to talk about the game, I will join you. Till then, Goodbye!

Truth.gif

People should demand a refund. Maybe Sony will credit us with the 83 cents that Driveclub technically cost us.

LiquidMetal14

Let's come back in a year and see how this goes because if the past is anything to go by and all the amazing sales and free games across 3 PLATFORMS is anything to go by then you are already wrong by default.

Just remember though, if there is a free game on top of this in October then you and others will look even more foolish but the value of Plus and what it has offered and continues to provide then I emphatically disagree and have facts, games, discounts, and awesome features to prove you wrong.

viveks86

I have no interest in arguing what "slightly" or "few" means. They are not the right words to use, for sure. But I didn't think we would lawyer up and argue semantics for so long. Carry on, Gaf. Vent it all out. See if you can get your pound of flesh. When the dust settles, if you are still interested in the game, I will join you with full enthusiasm and forget this ever happened. Till then, Goodbye!

That's stupid.

I paid $50 in December for PS+. Don't Starve was released in January. It appeared on the store and it cost nothing to download. I didn't have to add money to my account and no money was removed from my wallet. Therefore it was free to download.

orochi91

And around and around this thread goes. I'm a PS4/PS4/Vita owner. I don't even touch half of the games they give out for free. Either because i don't have any time or just not interested. Why oh why would i bitch about their Oct plus promotions when it's 5 months away? With all the "free" games i get plus enormous discounts that Driveclub+ edition is probably worth 5 cents from the $30 Year Plus card i got on black friday. So yeah, this "demo" is worth the money.

Because at this point, those two are being intentionally disingenuous.

This is not a thread to talk about the game, is about what the PS+ version of the game offers compared to what was said.

Plenty of other threads to talk about the game. And you did an awful work, if that's true lol.

Top Bottom