• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ version of Driveclub will have 5 tracks (1 country) and 10 cars.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Were people expecting the full game? They do need to make money.

You can still play the multiplayer and have all the features of the retail version, you just don't have all the tracks and cars.

If this is a demo, then what was Ground Zeroes. A Proof of Concept?
Without tracks and cars, it's nothing more than a demo

Synth

It's in the OP :D
Second big quote.

While that is usually true, the impression certainly I got was that it was going to be a long turnover game, like Infamous 2 and Uncharted GA that stay long term. That was why I assumed the game would be of some substance.

To be honest I don't remember what happened when either of those hit. Did they not have anything in their place for the following months?

I only tend to check IGC stuff whenever I see a GAF thread telling me what's coming up, so if a month was skipped, the chances are, I wouldn't even notice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. It'll be nice to get a feel for the game before deciding whether to buy it.

PBY

Banned
What do you consider "the full game minus a few cars/tracks"?

Does that automatically mean to you "less than half the total content"? Or "at least half the total content"?

Because the people who don't care about this/defend this think the former, while those who are disappointed think the latter.

I mean- I read that quote in the context of their huge PS PLUS blowout that had DC front and center.

So yea, I expected more.

Megatron

I'm loving the amount of entitlement, here.

That word gets thown around way too much. It' not entitlement, the game isn't free, we pay for it through our plus subscription. For a lot of us, Driveclub is the one game we have been looking forward to for PSPlus as it's not an indie title. Also the initial quote was
Yes, the PS Plus version will be the exact same as the full version, except that it may be missing a few assets such as cars or tracks, that will be found in the full version.
Missing a few cars? Well I guess we'll see how many the game winds up having, but dropping it down to 10 seems like it will be way more than 'a few'. I guess if there's only 15 cars in the game, this will still be true, but if it's 40 cars or 50 or 100? Dropping down to 10 can in no way be justified as 'a few'.

On top of that, they told us the game would be out at LAUNCH and then when they very quietly delayed that, they only told us it would be ready 'soon' but refused to give a date. All those people who bought PSPlus subscriptions with their PS4 expecting to get Driveclub soon will now have to buy another PSPlus subscription if they want to play it more than a month. Putting us through that delay should have made us get a better version of the game, it sounds like they probably took more out of it to get more purchases and try to make up the cost of the delay. It's okay to not defend the company when they do something shady, and this certainly seems like it could fit.

I was never one to ever mind playable game content that I didn't have to fork over a cent for.

Could you please link me to these free Playstation Plus subscriptions you are getting? Because I am paying for this.

Loudninja

Whoa, pretty content rich for what is essentially a demo. I remember getting demos with just one/two cars and one track and playing them to the point where I had the track memorized to perfection.

Good times, good times.

Anyway, a question, does this mean there's only 5 tracks per country or have they limited the number of tracks for the Plus version?
Sound like it really so atleast 20+ tracks.

EGM1966

Someone needs to tell Rushy what "a few" means.

To be fair the focus on the game has likely changed. As a launch title I could imagine them being more generous with the initial Plus version - small install base and a nice reward for the really early guys. Sales expectations would be less on the smaller install base and the game would probably have been more DLC focused over time.

Now it's launching to a bigger install base and needs to show good sales to be counted as a success - easy to see why they'd reduce the Plus content version. They knew not honouring it would attract a lot of criticism so the answer? Deliver the Plus version but make it smaller and put the focus on buying the full game.

That's how I see it anyway from the available info - without any definitive view of what content was planned for the initial launch date Plus and retail vs the new one and whether there really is more/less it's hard to be sure though.

I was never one to ever mind playable game content that I didn't have to fork over a cent for.
Don't pay for PS+ and see how much of this game content you get access to.

I've always planned on picking up the full version of this game anyway, so never expected much out of this slim-line demo version.

Someone needs to tell Rushy what "a few" means.
Do we know the full game's track and car count?

Alternatively, the month Drive Club comes out, they could up the PS4 PS+ free game count to 3 and have Drive Club be the 3rd game for a year or whatever before replacing it with something else. Make it feel like Drive Club is a cool extra and not a below average PS+ month.

In short, Drive Club was supposed to be a highlight of how great PS+ is, but if they don't play their cards right, it could drive a lot of people off.

pelican

Another empty promise

- You can earn the platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition, remember its the full game minus a few cars/tracks.

The quote obviously coming from Rushy's GAF post breaking down the PS+ version.

This appears to be a glorified demo. Looking forward to the spin to explain the change of heart.

VanWinkle

I guess my opinion of it IS pretty soured, remembering now that Rushy used the phrasing a "few less cars and tracks" before.

bryehn

If "slightly scaled" back is only 5 tracks and 10 cars, how little content is in the full version? This is the game I plan to buy a PS4 for at this point, hoping there's a meaty amount of content.

Why is everyone glossing over "assets"? Thats a pretty key word.

A few assets such as cars and tracks v.s. a few cars and tracks. Thats a pretty big difference.

blazeuk

Sounds like Sony has spent too much time and money on it to be able to deliver what they actually intended so we've ended up with a slightly cut down version of the full game turning into a hugely cut down version of the game. Not big on racing games in general so it will still probably be good enough for me, but I can absolutely see why some are disappointed.

BibiMaghoo

To be honest I don't remember what happened when either of those hit. Did they not have anything in their place for the following months?

I only tend to check IGC stuff whenever I see a GAF thread telling me what's coming up, so if a month was skipped, the chances are, I wouldn't even notice.

Yes, new games came in, but they were there for a year, and I think still are maybe, I've not checked. That bumps the numbers of available games but is a shitter for people like me that burn through them. With this game, I expected - and still expect - it to fill this shoe for PS4, to be the game that stays in the collection long term, and a demo just doesn't cut it at all.

A few assets such as cars and tracks v.s. a few cars and tracks. Thats a pretty big difference.

Because that wasn't all that was said. This was:

You can earn the platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition, remember it’s the full game minus a few cars/tracks

I mean- I read that quote in the context of their huge PS PLUS blowout that had DC front and center.

So yea, I expected more.

I think it's easy to expect close to a full game considering that PS+ game giveaways are always a full game, never a demo, even a "beefy" one.

On the other hand, DC is different because the PS+ version is releasing exactly at launch, so by definition it can't be the full game.

On a "third" hand, DC having a free PS+ version was the main thing that Sony used to sweep the pay-to-play multiplayer on the PS4 thing under the rug. Delaying the game a year and then revealing it's little more than a beefy demo is kinda underhanded.

On the "fourth" hand, the terminology was vague and open to interpretation. They can (and most likely will) easily claim that "full game minus a few cars and tracks" means "full game minus 75% of content" and still technically be consistent with what they said last year.

Alternatively, the month Drive Club comes out, they could up the PS4 PS+ free game count to 3 and have Drive Club be the 3rd game for a year or whatever before replacing it with something else. Make it feel like Drive Club is a cool extra and not a below average PS+ month.

In short, Drive Club was supposed to be a highlight of how great PS+ is, but if they don't play their cards right, it could drive a lot of people off.
I highly doubt if we are going to start getting 2 PS4 PS+ games per month. I expect the usual 1 PS4 game per month to continue going forward. Not really expecting much.

StuBurns

Banned

What is a big difference? Cars and tracks are assets, it's missing a few assets. That's irrelevant anyway, because they specifically used both phrases.

dugdug

Banned
No, promising one was insane.

People aren't in the wrong because Sony told them they were getting practically a full free game. Moreover, it was due at launch. You don't tell someone to wait eleven months then under deliver.

They shouldn't have ever claimed we'd get it, or they should have been transparent about what it really was.

I agree they worded things poorly and over-promised.

But, at the same time, everyone should have known from the start that it would be a gimped version. They called it PS+ Edition for a reason.

Smart thing for Sony to do here would be to *not* let it be October's PS4 IGC game. Just add it to the roster for that month.

K.N.W.

I would had bought this at launch just for the graphics but, since now I'm not 100% sure about the purchase, it's good to have this "big" demo =)

If this is classified a demo, that's a hefty demo by racing game standards. They are usually insanely stingy when they do them with racing games. Besides, 5 tracks is more than enough to perfect and shave time off of in my experience. Now, give me a price for the upgrade from Plus to Full.

I really would like to play the "demos" these guys are playing if 5 tracks and ten cars with full online is a demo.

This is more than enough for me. I have no intention of buying the full game but yet I'm getting a decent percentage of the experience anyway.

And really, who thought they were getting the full free game? Are you really that stupid?

Even if Sony promised the full game, there would of been a catch. No publisher in the world is going to fund a complete full game and then give it away for free.

It's a pretty big demo and it's a discount on the full game. Fine with me!

That said, did they seriously say that rear-view mirrors will NOT show cars, only the environment? Huh?

schaft0620

They should of just called it a demo

y6ZjK04.gif

bombshell

If "slightly scaled" back is only 5 tracks and 10 cars, how little content is in the full version? This is the game I plan to buy a PS4 for at this point, hoping there's a meaty amount of content.

4 (or is it 5?) countries have been revealed so far, so that's already a lot more content offered in the full version. Then there's unrevealed countries adding to that amount of content.

People do know the game was delay a year chances are more content has been adding since then .
What might seem like a fair amount of content at launch for the PS + version should be less now.
Truth is after the game get delay a year had a feeling they would have to make hard choices year of dev time don't come cheap .

hawk2025

That's what I'm hoping.

If October has DriveClub PS+ AND the usual Indie game, I'll be very happy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As I recall Plus members would receive a special version of the game that was maybe a little more than your typical demo.
In typical fashion some gamers over expected and are now upset because they're not getting the majority of the game for free. You guys do realize Sony wants to sell copies of this right? How would they do so if they were giving every Plus owner the version you imagined?

Top Bottom