• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA 3.30 up tonight

Massa

Wait, they renamed vita tv to PS TV in Europe? Hahahaha, that's cold. Sony really does not give a damn.

Vita TV is a bad name for something that only plays select Vita games. I don't get why people act surprised when the old name is confusing even to gaffers, let alone mainstream.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dat Danganronpa theme.

http://youtu.be/tHdUS76dzP0

(The backgrounds might be a bit spoilery so watch out)
Uuugghhh, I hate paying for themes, but that is so tempting. Would be amazing if NIS America made it a pre-order or LE bonus.

You can customize which of the multiple backgrounds appear on Page 1, Page 2, etc, right? Really cool that there's different pictures depending on the page you're on, but would be nice to change the order they're in. since I only have two pages.

Lucifon

Dat Danganronpa theme.

Sony are really doing nothing to sell me on these. They all look absolutely horrible - cheap and cluttered. From a design perspective they're not appealing in the slightest. It's like they've just slapped on any old wallpaper that makes everything look super busy.

SerTapTap

Vita TV is a bad name for something that only plays select Vita games. I don't get why people act surprised when the old name is confusing even to gaffers, let alone mainstream.

Plus if they didn't give a damn they wouldn't be MAKING the PS TV. It's also the only product of it's kind more or less, closest to a Game Boy Player/Super Game boy but totally stand alone, and it doesn't play just ONE system's games. And it can be really important to minimize confusions, look how many people STILL don't understand the PS+ edition of Driveclub they've been completely clear about every time they've ever talked about it.

Sony are really doing nothing to sell me on these. They all look absolutely horrible - cheap and cluttered. From a design perspective they're not appealing in the slightest. It's like they've just slapped on any old wallpaper that makes everything look super busy.

Game themes are for hardcore fans of a theme that want a ton of (game) crammed in every nook and cranny. IF you want clean, generic and inoffensive that's what the original design is for.

Imouto

Banned
You forgot about the theme music. What other theme has music included?

I'm not sure what's cluttered there, as they are pacing pretty well the space for you to arrange the bubbles. From design perspective I would say they appeal to the game users better than you think. You only need 4 bubbles for each screen, and it's look extremely good.

That golden ratio.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks nice, but other than the icons it doesn't really add anything.

And holy shit that guys voice was annoying.
OPEN THE SCREEN!

PAGE 1! PAGE 2! PAGE 3! TALKING OVER THE MUSIC THAT I SAID CHANGES WITH EACH THEME SO YOU CAN'T HEAR IT WELL!!!

Considering you can preview PS3 themes on the browser store, I hope they do the same for Vita themes. Or heck, would be cool if I could do it on the Vita itself.

I appreciate the subtle UI improvements. The notifications/modal pops seem to be a bit subtler now.

Unless they fix the delay I will stick to using a solid black background though.

It would be nice if they could get Netflix and Youtube to update their apps. And if the PS4 could actually recognize the Vita.

Lucifon

Game themes are for hardcore fans of a theme that want a ton of (game) crammed in every nook and cranny. IF you want clean, generic and inoffensive that's what the original design is for.

I think there's a way of creating a nice inoffensive game design without cramming stuff into every nook and cranny - as someone who deals with design on a daily basis with my job I'd just call that approach lazy. Anyone can chuck everything onto a screen and say it's done.

completely disagree. you can make themes, based on games or otherwise, that are clean and aesthetically pleasing.

Do not like this update, every time I scroll between menu screens instead of instantly displaying my backgrounds it now displays the default blue screen for a few moments, before finally loading my background image.

It is really annoying, especially since I use my backgrounds to search for where the bubble I want is.

Do not like this update, every time I scroll between menu screens instead of instantly displaying my backgrounds it now displays the default blue screen for a few moments, before finally loading my background image.

It is really annoying, especially since I use my backgrounds to search for where the bubble I want is.

It's a pain in the butt, but do this:

Go in and change the background on all your screens to the pre-installed plain black, and then go back and reset them to your custom. I saw all my screens were fading in and out of the blue wave between transitions, but I did the above and now it fades in and out to black.

On the downside, it looks like two of my wallpapers disappeared from my storage somehow. I couldn't find either my main screen (that I use for settings, trophies, friends, remote play, browser etc) or my "cracked LCD" one that I use for my very bottom page.

That fixes it.

SerTapTap

I noticed this, but previously it did the same except with a black screen, I consider them about equally annoying.

dracula_x

I think the PS Vita Themes are not release in NA or EU as of now. Kinda weird releasing the update but not releasing the themes.

Yep, it's weird. So, as I understand, we will receive those themes only on next Tuesday/Wednesday, when the next PlayStation Store update goes live.

SerTapTap

I think the PS Vita Themes are not release in NA or EU as of now. Kinda weird releasing the update but not releasing the themes.

It's a "getting ready" update, half of it seems intended to prepare for Vita TV. And updating the store AND firmware would probably be a disaster since SCEA can barely update the store without problems on a normal week

Zareka

Dat Danganronpa theme.

I need that Danganronpa theme if only for the music. I'd love to have that playing instead of the default. I'm also extremely intrigued by Another Episode now after seeing those backgrounds.

Oh yeah, how do I download themes? I have the update but can't find the themes anywhere.

Kolma

I need that Danganronpa theme if only for the music. I'd love to have that playing instead of the default. I'm also extremely intrigued by Another Episode now after seeing those backgrounds.

Oh yeah, how do I download themes? I have the update but can't find the themes anywhere.

Themes aren't out yet in NA :(

j-wood

Why in the world would Sony release a FW update with a theme engine and then....not include any themes. At least have them up on the store already Sony, come on.

Top Bottom