• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita firmware 1.8 is the one to watch for PSOne Classics

patsu

Remember that Sony firmware numbers don't make any sense so this could happen tomorrow or in two years.

Articles says summer but we knew that already. The version number is new info, perhaps implying a meaty update from 1.69.

According to rumors, we will get a major update in August. So 1.8 will probably arrive no earlier than that.

KAL2006

Banned
Articles says summer but we knew that already. The version number is new info, perhaps implying a meaty update from 1.69.

According to rumors, we will get a major update in August. So 1.8 will probably arrive no earlier than that.

What is this rumor

I have them on my ps3 but want to play them on my vita due to a smaller screen(less pixelation).
I can understand wanting to play it on a portable system, but I don't really understand this. Sit further away from your tv? They're still being rendered at the same res...

Grinchy

Banned
I hope one day they honestly disclose why this took so long. I just don't understand how PS1 emulation could have been a problem at any point. My toaster can emulate PS1 games.

Ran rp

With a million new games coming out all the time, and new consoles on the way...I just don't understand people wanting to replay old, dusty PS1 games anymore.

Because they're:

1. Fun
2. Classic
3. I never played most of them?

I guess I shouldn't have played MGS1 before tackling the HD Collection because, you know, it's old and dusty. Probably shouldn't have played those MSX games in the collection either. It's actually because of MGS1 that the Metal Gear series has become my favorite game series ever. But yuck, old games.

A good game is a good game. It doesn't matter when it was released. Just like people still watch old movies or read old books.

People replay old games for the same reason we watch old reruns on tv or old dvds of movies (star wars). They are classics and we want to experience them again. They are also great for dealing with software gaps of new games (something the vita is suffering from right now IMO).

My question is this. I have never played FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, and Metal Gear Solid. I have them on my ps3 but want to play them on my vita due to a smaller screen(less pixelation). I want to know if the vita firmware will be like the psp one where I just go to my downloads list on the ps store and redownload the games onto my vita. I don't want to have to wait for each game to get emulated. I want them all day one.

Thank you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I could be wrong, but I believe the opposite was actually confirmed -- that all games available on PSN (outside of those with possible emulation issues) will be available from day one.

I sure hope so! I don't want to be drip fed games each week waiting for the ones I own to show up.

Dracula X Chronicles!

Is there a way to play SotN without actually having to play through the DXC main game? I really can't stand the graphics in that game for some reason, but haven't seen an option to jump into SotN. I suppose i can just download a save file if necessary.

androvsky

From the older Vita PS1 thread and IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/07/e3-2012-going-hands-on-with-psone-classics-on-vita
The best news of all, however, is that if you already own a PSone Classic, whether on PS3 or PSP or both, you won’t have to purchase the game again. All you’ll have to do is connect your Vita to your PS3 or directly to the PlayStation Network and transfer the game(s) desired from your purchased items list. And if you don’t own a PSone Classic and want to play it on Vita, there will be no restrictions. Every game currently available in the PSone Classics catalog will be available for play on Vita with no exceptions.

However, another site posted almost the exact same phrase, except they cited a "Sony Rep" as the source, and we know how nameless Sony Reps are at E3. If nothing else, transferring bubbles from the PS3 should work for those with PS3s.

Ein Bear

Announcing the version number of the update, but not a date is Sony mocking us, isn't it? I honestly can't think of a reason to do it except to laugh at us. =(

I'd love to hear this 1.8 update is going to include some other improvements. Such as the friends and trophies apps being combined, or them not having a "loading" screen every time you enter them, etc.

As previously told it's not an emulation problem, it's licensing problem. That's why all the catalogue won't be available on day one...
Sad but true, like for PSP PSOne games need to be licensed by third party in order to be emulated on another system...

Different sites "confirmed" different things. Some said they were told all games would be playable, others confirmed they would be released in batches.

IGN said:
Every game currently available in the PSone Classics catalog will be available for play on Vita with no exceptions.

joystiq said:
The launch won't just be flipping a switch on all the PSOne Classics available on PSP and PS3. Instead, Vita PSOne Classics will be rolled out gradually starting this summer, Sony informed Joystiq today

Did we ever get either confirmation confirmed?

patsu

I hope one day they honestly disclose why this took so long. I just don't understand how PS1 emulation could have been a problem at any point. My toaster can emulate PS1 games.

PSOne classics games have been announced for a l-o-n-g time for PS certified hardware. Perhaps they are working on the same code base for these hardware + Vita. It may be tied to their store revamp too, so who knows !

On a related note, I heard your toaster will also receive a v1.8 update in summer to play Uncharted over Gaikai.

EDIT:
I'd love to hear this 1.8 update is going to include some other improvements. Such as the friends and trophies apps being combined, or them not having a "loading" screen every time you enter them, etc.

My guess is usability issues will get prioritized all the way down as usual. 8^P

impact

Banned

God damn, six months to get PS1 games running? Embarrassing for Sony.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

If they're only the actual original games, that isn't going to happen.

DBT85

If they're only the actual original games, that isn't going to happen.

I think he means the liva area section for every app and game on the Vita. The Settings App for example should just go straight there, not go to the Live Area which has sod all on it. Once you press the PS button to back out THEN it should go to the Live Area.

flattie

A lot of moaning here, but it isn't such a massive deal. 6 months is nothing. This is an auxiliary feature of Vita, there to add value. If it truly is that important for some then go and buy a cheap PSP.

I'm just glad that it's inbound soon and that there'll be no need to re-buy games.

A lot of moaning here, but it isn't such a massive deal. 6 months is nothing. This is an auxiliary feature of Vita, there to add value. If it truly is that important for some then go and buy a cheap PSP.

I'm just glad that it's inbound soon and that there'll be no need to re-buy games.

It is a big feature and it didn't take the ps3 six months to get ps1 emulation. Should have been there day one, all games available. This just shows how incompetent the current Sony is at launching new hardware and it does not bode well for next year's ps4 launch.

Is there a way to play SotN without actually having to play through the DXC main game? I really can't stand the graphics in that game for some reason, but haven't seen an option to jump into SotN. I suppose i can just download a save file if necessary.

It takes a couple of minutes to do in-game. You don't need to beat the entire Dracula X game to find it. Just go to the stage 3 cemetary level and you can snag it behind a wall. It took me no time at all to do when I unlocked it a few days ago.

Skilletor

Yeah, just DL the save.

Yeah. That's the best solution.

This shit should have been in at launch. That's really all there is to it.

It takes a couple of minutes to do in-game. You don't need to beat the entire Dracula X game to find it. Just go to the stage 3 cemetary level and you can snag it behind a wall. It took me no time at all to do when I unlocked it a few days ago.

Damn. Didn't know this. I cant' stand the new Dracula X either but was wanting to see SotN.

Aru

You don't have to play all of DXC to unlock SotN.
You just have to find a hidden item in stage 3, IIRC.

Elios83

Hopefully 1.8 brings significant improvements to applications like video and music which currently are really limited in both controls and features.
Also they should update the browser so that links to videos are passed to the internal youtube app player although this is probably too much for them :p
About Psone compatibility I don't expect the emulator to be much better than the PSP one, at E3 they said that it would support Vita's touch controls (ex it will be possible to resize the game window using two fingers) but sadly I don't think that there will be new features to make the games look better although they could have implemented a high res mode with the option to turn if off if it doesn't work.

patsu

*shrug* Depends on what else they are/were working on at the same time.

I have very short history with Playstation. Have no desire or sympathy for PSOne games myself. ^_^

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You don't have to play all of DXC to unlock SotN.
You just have to find a hidden item in stage 3, IIRC.

Thought you had to get the key in Stage 2, fight the alternate boss, progress through stage 3 , and knock down some plant thing to get to the tombstone you break to unlock SOTN?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
With a million new games coming out all the time, and new consoles on the way...I just don't understand people wanting to replay old, dusty PS1 games anymore.

I still fire up games like Super Mario Bros 3/World/Yoshi's Island, Castlevania 3, Contra, Link to the Past, Flashback, etc, etc, despite having played those back in the 80's and 90's on their respective systems, because those games are fun and hold up.

There are more than a few games in the PS1 library that hold up incredibly well (ie, the FF games, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Vandal Hearts, Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, Castlevania: SOTN, etc, etc).

I got to play with the PS1 emulator on the Vita at E3 this year, and,

1) It still seemed pretty janky. Either that, or Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation is a lot worse than I remember (I think it's a combination of the two). The controls seemed off, and the performance was questionable. At least for Tomb Raider. The buttons were also configured for Japanese (O to confirm, X to cancel, etc). Settings were disabled, so I couldn't adjust anything.

2) Final Fantasy VII looked really, really good on that 5" screen. It was only displaying at 4:3 aspect ratio, but I was surprised at how nice it looks, so I can't imagine how fantastic some of the 2D games and games like FFIX and Chrono Cross are going to look.

Some game play is just universal and transcends console generations.

Many of us are playing these games for the first time as well (never played Alundra beyond the first dungeon, or Tomba, or Vagrant Story, etc).

Some of us just want to replay our favorites on the go (ie, I'm dying to replay Chrono Cross, and I have a long bus ride to and from work in the mornings).

patsu

It certainly is the best solution for over-entitled gamers who are too impatient to wait a few months for a side feature.

... or play some good ol' PSP games in the mean time, like what I'm doing now.

[weird VC2 laughter]

KalBalboa

Banned

Considering what the competition has done with N64/SNES on 3DS (which is nothing) they're doing great, comparatively.

I've had my Vita since day one less than five months back, and PSone support has been my #1 most requested feature. Luckily I've had a bunch of great games to tide me over with.

Elios83

I'm just going to put this here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38805425&highlight=#post38805425

I got lot's o' hate for this, but it seems like most of it was accurate.

The Psone emulator they showed at E3 was really limited and early.
It was clarified that when it's released it will support full screen, analog controls, manual resize touch screen functionality. Those are not things that wil be implemented at an unknown date, they just weren't present in the E3 version of the emulator.
As for the games it will be like the PSP emulator, Vita will have its own compatibility list and games will be re-tested before saying it's compatible. So through a PSVita you will only be able to buy the officially working and tested games, but if you already have other games you can try them and most probably they will work too.

patsu

The Psone emulator they showed at E3 was really limited and early.
It was clarified that when it's released it will support full screen, analog controls, manual resize touch screen functionality. Those are not things that wil be implemented at an unknown date, they just weren't present in the E3 version of the emulator.
As for the games it will be like the PSP emulator, Vita will have its own compatibility list and games will be re-tested before saying it's compatible. So through a PSVita you will only be able to buy the officially working and tested games, but if you already have other games you can try them and most probably they will work too.

Got a link ? I wish someone would ask Sony reps whether it's the same PSOne emulator as PS certified hardware. Just curious.

Pretty much unless you grew up with 360 as your first console and are now 12.

I'm neither and still haven't played any PSOne games.
When they are released, it would be good to start a LTTP PSOne games thread.

Afrikan

Can someone tweet Yoshida to put Colony Wars 1 on the US PlayStation store, before this update? as well as 1Xtreme (ESPN Xtreame Games without the License). (I hated 2Xtreame)

It still boggles my mind when I read that complaint that the PSone games at E3 ran at their native 4:3. I can't imagine it any other way. Stretching looks terrible.

Judging by how they're handling the PSP games, "12 PS1 games a quarter" might actually turn out to be true for Sony of America. The European branch will probably have them all up within a fortnight.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PSY・S;39471184 said:
Because they're:

1. Fun
2. Classic
3. I never played most of them?

Pretty much. I had a N64 during that generation so I missed out on a lot of great PS1 stuff. Now I have over 25 PS1 games downloaded to my PS3 which I'd like to play on my newly acquired Vita.

Top Bottom