• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita firmware 1.8 is the one to watch for PSOne Classics

Miutsu

Pretty much. I had a N64 during that generation so I missed out on a lot of great PS1 stuff. Now I have over 25 PS1 games downloaded to my PS1 which I'd like to play on my newly acquired Vita.

Where do they sell these PSN Capable PS1? ;P

Eusis

With a million new games coming out all the time, and new consoles on the way...I just don't understand people wanting to replay old, dusty PS1 games anymore.
Doesn't matter if there's a million new games if the PS1 games are what interest me more. Not going to avoid checking out old movies or old books just because newer ones are filmed or written.

Sony really need to change the PS Store and launch PS Mobile soon. Vita store should be filled with Play Store/Appstore type games.

Syntsui

What about the streaming feature? They talked about playing ps3 games on the vita via streaming but still today no game is compatible and they never talked about it again, any news that I don't know?

patsu

What about the streaming feature? They talked about playing ps3 games on the vita via streaming but still today no game is compatible and they never talked about it again, any news that I don't know?

You mean RemotePlay. There are a few compatible ones. I don't have the list handy.

Shuhei mentioned that the ICO and the GoW collections are being patched to add higher resolution RemotePlay support. I remember you can also RemotePlay PS1 games from PS3.

With a million new games coming out all the time, and new consoles on the way...I just don't understand people wanting to replay old, dusty PS1 games anymore.

Some PS1 games have aged well, and are still fun to play. Its nice to have access to the old library.

I wonder if Sony has cut the budget of the Firmware dev team after the lackluster Vita sales.. is that why it takes them so long? It's just bizarre to me.. they should be doing everything they can to at least cover their basis. PS1 support should have been there from day 1.

Syntsui

You mean RemotePlay. There are a few compatible ones. I don't have the list handy.

Shuhei mentioned that the ICO and the GoW collections are being patched to add higher resolution RemotePlay support. I remember you can also RemotePlay PS1 games from PS3.

Do you know why only a few are compatible? I remember that it is possible to use this feature with a psp with all the games (don't know if cfw), no?

impact

Banned
Considering what the competition has done with N64/SNES on 3DS (which is nothing) they're doing great, comparatively.

I've had my Vita since day one less than five months back, and PSone support has been my #1 most requested feature. Luckily I've had a bunch of great games to tide me over with.
Nintendo are inept so that's not really saying much. I just want a vast JRPG library on my Vita and PS1 games are unplayable on my TV so I haven't even played Vagrant Story yet :(

DBT85

Do you know why only a few are compatible? I remember that it is possible to use this feature with a psp with all the games (don't know if cfw), no?

With a PS3 with CFW then yes it is possible to get it working on all games, however it looks janky on a fair few of them. But Sony should have enabled more by now. Sony should have done lots of things. I suppose they only have a certain amount of people to do things and we have no idea what they are doing. It might be PS4 OS stuff, it might be Vita OS stuff. Who knows.

The simple reason that it isn't available on more was because the PS3 was designed in such a way that developers had to support such features, thereby removing some CPU/GPU/RAM from their clutches.

With the Vita they have wisely done the OS so that things like cross game chat run in the OS and not the game. So Developers can't claw back any performance by not supporting it. They don't even have a choice.

Similarly things like the Screenshot function on the Vita devs have to opt OUT rather than in. There is no performance hit that I'm aware of so the only reason we can fathom is because some (many) Vita games look a bit ragged in screens.

KalBalboa

Banned
Because many classics are better than a majority of the games that come out now.

C'mon now, let's not put the rose tinted glasses on to quickly.

There are a lot of reasons to want to have access to vintage games. I frankly want to FINALLY beat FF8, and having it on the go will help me in that quest. I also happen to love playing Twisted Metal 2 to this day, but I wont pretend TM: Black and Twisted Metal (2012) weren't superior games.

patsu

Nope RemotePlay was never a universal feature officially. A CFW PS3 turned it on for all games, but the final experience may not be consistent (e.g., Last of Us may choke if it pushes the limit further).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been dying for this feature. I'd say PS1 games on Vita hardware was the main reason I got one. No, I didn't want a crappy PSP.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Good stuff.

They better improve Vita's PSP BC with fw 1.8 too, I need some anti aliasing option like 2xAA or something with the PSP games ( it's should be easy for the Vita SGX5 GPU I think).

Jomjom

Banned
Releasing PS1 support like this is almost like no support at all. Sony is just asking for hackers to break their system again. Just release complete backwards compatibility with PS1 games already!

I understand with PS2 games it needs to be done in this slow trickle manner, but there is absolutely no excuse for PS1 games!

Why can't they just unlock every ps1 game and have a page where users can report issues as they find them? You know, the same way they handled BC during the ps3 launch.

LOL, only 12 games per quarter. Can somebody find out how many ps1 games are currently up and calculate how many years it will take Sony to catch up? The ps4 is going to be so pathetic, lol.

I can't believe they would seriously only release 12 a quarter. I'm still hopeful that every game on PSN will be playable day one since it hasn't been confirmed yet either way. But, that would be crazy to only put out 12 a quarter, unless they put out a fuck ton right off the bat.

Metal Gear, Final Fantasy VII, and Vagrant Story day one, or I will be pissed. Let this overly entitled gamer give you his money, Sony!

demigod

I'm just going to put this here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38805425&highlight=#post38805425

I got lot's o' hate for this, but it seems like most of it was accurate.

I'm gonna have to go with "bs" on this one. Oh and FF7 doesn't look bad on the Vita. In fact, it looks better than playing it on PS3.

The Psone emulator they showed at E3 was really limited and early.
It was clarified that when it's released it will support full screen, analog controls, manual resize touch screen functionality. Those are not things that wil be implemented at an unknown date, they just weren't present in the E3 version of the emulator.
As for the games it will be like the PSP emulator, Vita will have its own compatibility list and games will be re-tested before saying it's compatible. So through a PSVita you will only be able to buy the officially working and tested games, but if you already have other games you can try them and most probably they will work too.

This makes more sense. Why would they release the PSP Emulator and only release 12 games totally?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why can't they just unlock every ps1 game and have a page where users can report issues as they find them? You know, the same way they handled BC during the ps3 launch.

I'm not buying games with my own money to be a beta tester. I'd say they botched that BC but it turned out alright.

Ein Bear

It's taken so long because Sony have secretly been implementing the best feature - making all the PAL PSOne classics run at 60hz. You'll see!

:'(

This thing needs a better crack already so it can start doing what Sony is slow to implement. Like psx games, better media playback and transferring, and a e-reader/comic reader. The vita will be godlike once homebrew devs start doing work on it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
How have we managed to go from only selected titles from that firs report to then all titles from joystiq or wherever it was back now to only selected ps1 games?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really wonder if their PS1 emulator will end up being some really advanced stuff that upscales games internally, filters textures etc. like ePSXe on PC does. I don't understand why else they'd be delaying it so much when they were able to run a completely faithful PS1 emulator on a lowly PSP. If they wanted just that on Vita, they could have recompiled that for day 1 release.

I really wonder if their PS1 emulator will end up being some really advanced stuff that upscales games internally, filters textures etc. like ePSXE on PC does. I don't understand why else they'd be delaying it so much when they were able to run a completely faithful PS1 emulator on a lowly PSP. If they wanted just that on Vita, they could have recompiled that for day 1 release.

It's just the same bare bones, no frills emulator but with a couple of vita specific options. No reason to take six months and then have to test each game individually. They should all run pretty much perfectly. We're not talking about ps2 emulation here.

How have we managed to go from only selected titles from that firs report to then all titles from joystiq or wherever it was back now to only selected ps1 games?

From what I can gather, there has been one source for each theory. IGN says they were told all at once, Joystiq said they were told in waves. Every place else has just been using them as a source and Sony hasn't said shit (which probably isn't a good sign). A gaffer says they were told 12 games a quarter, and while I'm sure he's not lying, the people running the booths at e3 don't always know what the fuck they're talking about.

And now, here we are.

Glix

From what I can gather, there has been one source for each theory. IGN says they were told all at once, Joystiq said they were told in waves. Every place else has just been using them as a source and Sony hasn't said shit (which probably isn't a good sign). A gaffer says they were told 12 games a quarter, and while I'm sure he's not lying, the people running the booths at e3 don't always know what the fuck they're talking about.

And now, here we are.

I made a thread shortly after Vita came out lambasting Sony for all this. Many people told me I was being impatient and entitled, but even back then, it was plain to see that it was going to go in this direction.

Sony doesn't have a CLUE what they are doing, they are constantly fucking up, and not following through on initiatives. I have no idea what is going on with the company, but it is scary.

KAL2006

Banned
Just read on another forum apparantly if you try to copy a PS1 game on the PS3 there is now a Vita option. This option wasn't available before. Of course if you try to copy to Vita you get an error. This could mean the PS1 Classic support could be coming quite soon.

Glix

Just read on another forum apparantly if you try to copy a PS1 game on the PS3 there is now a Vita option. This option wasn't available before. Of course if you try to copy to Vita you get an error. This could mean the PS1 Classic support could be coming quite soon.

I heard they are only releasing 12 every quarter, but the others can be downloaded to PS3 and then transfarr'd over.

It's better like that.

Furoba

I can't believe they would seriously only release 12 a quarter. I'm still hopeful that every game on PSN will be playable day one since it hasn't been confirmed yet either way. But, that would be crazy to only put out 12 a quarter, unless they put out a fuck ton right off the bat.

Metal Gear, Final Fantasy VII, and Vagrant Story day one, or I will be pissed. Let this overly entitled gamer give you his money, Sony!

JPN store has +1000 Game Archive titles last time I checked.

KAL2006

Banned
Here is what i read on the other forum

Thought i share it because ive just discovered it myself, wasnt sure if it was already posted.

I tried copying a ps1 game and i notice it has:
"when using on a ps vita system"
"connect the ps vita system using a usb cable, and then start content manager on the pa vita system"

Seems like now we just need a vita update for it to work.

DBT85

LOL, only 12 games per quarter. Can somebody find out how many ps1 games are currently up and calculate how many years it will take Sony to catch up? The ps4 is going to be so pathetic, lol.

I'm going to just wait for Sony to tell us what they are doing rather than taking the word of a guy who spoke to a rep on the trade floor who, (honestly) might not know his arsehole from his elbow.

Especially when Elios83, who (iirc) seems to typically be fairly good, says something different.

News sites can't even agree on what is happening.

Eusis

I actually wonder if that "twelve games per quarter" thing might actually be about new PS1 games, and he got confused in answering? Because that actually sounds like about how many they put out, if we're lucky anyway.

Alternatively, he may mean one game per week.

androvsky

I have no clue what this is or means.

EDIT: Doing some googling, so they have some games from systems outside of the PS on there? Crazy. Sony needs to step up their game in the US.

Game Archives is mainly PS1, there's also a couple dozen PC Engine and Neo Geo games too.

The US PSN has games from all of those systems, just not nearly as many. Sadly, I don't think any region is getting any more PC Engine (aka TG-16) games, since Konami's pretty much shut down Hudson. It's a shame since the TG-16 emulator is really good on every system and all the released games work on the PS3, PSP, and Vita.

On a side note, does this news suggest that we're getting a firmware update 1.7 in July that doesn't have PS1 support? And Sony Japan wants us to know that it's in 1.8 so everybody doesn't freak out when 1.7 hits?

what firmware is Vita on now

511783_o.gif

Sorry I had too.

patsu

Game Archives is mainly PS1, there's also a couple dozen PC Engine and Neo Geo games too.

The US PSN has games from all of those systems, just not nearly as many. Sadly, I don't think any region is getting any more PC Engine (aka TG-16) games, since Konami's pretty much shut down Hudson. It's a shame since the TG-16 emulator is really good on every system and all the released games work on the PS3, PSP, and Vita.

On a side note, does this news suggest that we're getting a firmware update 1.7 in July that doesn't have PS1 support? And Sony Japan wants us to know that it's in 1.8 so everybody doesn't freak out when 1.7 hits?

Not sure if new...

A few PSOne games made it to Playstation Certified hardware earlier this month ago:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/07/0...other-psone-titles-hit-the-playstation-store/

Sony has added seven new titles to the PlayStation Store for PlayStation Certified devices. The biggest name on the list is bona-fide classic Silent Hill by Konami. Other titles include Bishi Bash Special by Konami, three titles from Midas Interactive (Miracle Space Race, All-star Boxing, and Super Slammin’ Dodgeball) and two titles from XS Games (Airboat Racing and Sorcerers Maze).

It is possible that the PSOne compatibility team is working on the software run-time for multiple hardwares at the same time.

If PSOne compatibility is indeed coming in August-September timeframe, it's actually very close now (Mostly just last minute fixes, and QA, QA, QA).

If they have 1.7x fixes, they should just roll everything into 1.8 and focus on 1 big testing effort -- unless 1.7x contains security updates.

androvsky

Not sure if new...

A few PSOne games made it to Playstation Certified hardware earlier this month ago:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/07/0...other-psone-titles-hit-the-playstation-store/

It is possible that the PSOne compatibility team is working on the software run-time for multiple hardwares at the same time.

If PSOne compatibility is indeed coming in August-September timeframe, it's actually very close now (Mostly just last minute fixes, and QA, QA, QA).

If they have 1.7x fixes, they should just roll everything into 1.8 and focus on 1 big testing effort -- unless 1.7x contains security updates.

Isn't that at least the second run of PS1 games hitting PS Certified? Crash Bandicoot was in the first group over a year ago.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/1...ash-bandicoot-sims-3-pre-installed-at-launch/

From what I understand, PS Certified releases require a separate submission from publishers than regular PSN PS1 Classics, and they require a separate purchase. The slow roll-out of PS1 games on PS Certified is most likely due to excruciatingly slow sales and all the extra publisher work required.

If Sony's using the same emulation core in PS Certified devices and the Vita, the above suggests they had a retail ready emulator a year before the Vita launched in the US. Granted, there's another 1000 games or so they needed to test in Japan and the PSP emulation to work on too, but it seems strange that a year later they still don't have relatively simple features on the Vita emulator shown at E3, such as analog input.

Top Bottom