• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcott

Start/Select buttons are definitely too difficult to press, they should have a slightly raised surface that is still rigid so you can get a feel for them easier when pressing blind. Even when you are looking, they are a bit of a pain tbh, unlike the awesome PS button which I tend to use for pausing instead for this very reason.

EU store update was pretty terrible for Vita content and playstation plus members. Is the general consensus on Sumioni to wait for a price drop? Hasn't been released in Europe yet.

I thought I was the only one having trouble.

When playing Uncharted, I'll have to find a good moment to access the guide book (select), or pause a moment in order to hit start and pause... since it's like my finger slides off or hits it in a bad angle where as the button is never actually pressed. I usually just hit the PS button to pause a game.

It's funny because in the past, accidentally hitting start was a big problem for handhelds. Now, it's like you forget it's even there.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I thought I was the only one having trouble.

When playing Uncharted, I'll have to find a good moment to access the guide book (select), or pause a moment in order to hit start and pause... since it's like my finger slides off or hits it in a bad angle where as the button is never actually pressed. I usually just hit the PS button to pause a game.

It's funny because in the past, accidentally hitting start was a big problem for handhelds. Now, it's like you forget it's even there.

Seriously, I am looking into making that button slightly stand out. Anyone got an idea what kind of rubber I could buy/use for this? Or what they used for PS3 controllers?

orioto

Good Art™
My problem is that it HURTS to press them often. Playing Motorstorm RC, sometimes I press the start button 20 times a minute for restarts until I get the first corner in the correct way. Doing that 10 minutes really starts to hurt.

I don't get that, why don't you use the touch screen to restart, i do that so easily it's a pleasure to break records!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You can use the touch screen to restart?

Seems like we found the truly mindblowing fact on this page. :p

Oh and:

Orioto said:
I do that so easily it's a pleasure to break records!
Ti0Su.jpg

mangaroo

Banned
Reckon we could slice off and glue some of that rubber from a broken controller?

Wouldn't want to use anything other than glue atm tbh, but I imagine it would just slide off after a while?

All it really needs is a ridge for each button, a wide but short, perhaps even slightly circular button on top.

So what is the general consensus on vita right now? Glancing through this thread gets me these:

- sexy screen
- Most games tend to have pretty unstable framerate.
- start and select are in weird positions
- right analog is easily hit by accident
- triggers aren't too hot.
- a lot of OS glitches/bugs/crashes/etc.
- awesome dpad

Toma

Reckon we could slice off and glue some of that rubber from a broken controller?

Wouldn't want to use anything other than glue atm tbh, but I imagine it would just slide off after a while?

Thats what I am thinking too. I am imagine it would hold up quite well if tightly glued together.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
No one playing Treasures of Montezuma Blitz?, pretty awesome for a free game, your lives seem to charge up quite quickly.

Toma

No one playing Treasures of Montezuma Blitz?, pretty awesome for a free game, your lives seem to charge up quite quickly.

Free game? Never heard of it, released in the last PSN update?

Number45

So what is the general consensus on vita right now? Glancing through this thread gets me these:

- sexy screen
- awesome dpad
I don't have an issue with the framerate on anything I'm playing, but then I'm quite tolerant on that front. Triggers are fine if you've ever played PSP, I never find myself knocking the right stick and personally I haven't had any issues on the OS at all.

orioto

Good Art™

- sexy screen
- awesome dpad

I would add, but that's maybe just me, that the backpad isn't a great idea... For exemple i just tried the Dungeon Hunter Alliance demo and you have to touch the backpad to place your fairy thing, but as i always touch the back of the vita to hold it...

Also i definitely bend my thumb way to much to use the left stick... It hurts after one hour or so. Vita will kill my thumb in no time.

Also i've had embarassing crashes, like black screen and i had to push the power button many times and long to randomly have some reboot screen appearing after 3 minutes...

mangaroo

Banned

- sexy screen - especially when not in a very dark room and the brightness all the way down
- Most games tend to have pretty unstable framerate. - Not most games, only a few really For example wipeout would be nice with higher fps but given the graphics, it is understandable. Modnation racers on the other hand has pretty horrendous dips. I'm certain it will improve (in other games and future ones). Are they going to unlock the speed like they did with the psp?
- start and select are in weird positions - Mentioned above but basically slightly difficult to press.
- right analog is easily hit by accident - Rarely, only if you are lazy and you don't raise your thumb to press X
- triggers aren't too hot. - Slightly better than the PSP ones, but haven't had any issues, I'm an advocate of angled triggers, but heard mixed reviews about the PDP trigger case.
- a lot of OS glitches/bugs/crashes/etc. A lot have experienced them, but they hardly happen commonly on a day to day basis. Perhaps once or maybe twice a week. Heard Unit 13 in particular had extra issues.
- awesome dpad - Yep, face buttons aren't bad either although a tad small but very crisp to press. Hopefully they will stay that way :)

In da quote. Also so far, I'd agree with the above poster about the rear touch pad. Ordered a controller from HK which will hopefully help.

Also not going to reply like this again hah.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Free game? Never heard of it, released in the last PSN update?

It was released on the EU store today.

There's a cool down on your lives replenishing so you have to wait after five lives are used in succession or pay 79p, but as I said they seem to charge back up quite quickly.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I did a similar test with Netflix. My vitas screen looks nicer then my iPad 3s :(

I haven't used Netflix a lot yet, but I started episode 1 of Archer and was blown the fuck away by the image quality (on Vita I mean - I don't have an Ipad)

edit- hahaha wow I had NO idea you were actually using Archer for the comparison. For some reason your picture didn't show up and I had to copy and paste the location

edit: having the first post on a page sucks ass, I need to pay more attention to the post # :(
lmao I know this feeling

CLEEK

Wait you didn't even try that :) ??

I do everything possible to avoid fingerprints on my screen, so didn't ever dream of randomly jabbing at it mid game to see if anything happens. Fingerprints are a big reason I dislike the touch-only fascism of LiveArea.

mangaroo

Banned
I haven't used Netflix a lot yet, but I started episode 1 of Archer and was blown the fuck away by the image quality (on Vita I mean - I don't have an Ipad)

Picturing this, I am extremely tempted to subscribe now. Can't be a worse decision then yesterday's playstation plus. I was foolishly hoping the FF sale would hit EU too, heard I missed it already.

Edit: There is none -.-

And yep psp demos not on vita sucks too. Also learnt that the harder way.

Toma

Pics please if you do that :p

I will def. attempt that. I'll let you guys know here when I find a suitable material. I am more worried about the rubber being used than the glueing itself.

orioto

Good Art™
I do everything possible to avoid fingerprints on my screen, so didn't ever dream of randomly jabbing at it mid game to see if anything happens. Fingerprints are a big reason I dislike the touch-only fascism of LiveArea.

Oh, i totally agree with that! I hate that on Vita and if i can avoid touching the screen it's great, but for Motorstorm it doesn't bother me i guess, and just touching it is fine. The bad sweaty marks are caused by vertical slice for me.

Wazzim

Banned
MHF is on EU PSN for €9,99. Nice to have MH1-MH2 expansion for only €20 on your Vita.

Also, they added screenshots for some PSP games.

ZeroAKA

My Vita screen apparently has a small scratch on it. I actually noticed the scratch around the second day of getting the Vita but I didn't do anything about it initially because I thought it was a problem with the screen protector. I'm probably going to replace it now.

Does anyone know how Amazon handles returns of the 3G bundle? I have already paid for the 3G service, and my memory card already has content in it, so would I have to return those too?

DiscoJer

So it actually came out? This is the first I've actually heard of it being released.

Alawar does a lot of Minis for the PSP/PS3, so I follow them and knew about it, but it seems to be very much under the radar.

Just got my vita from the taco bell contest! It's so amazing I love the screen the only time I was able to use it was for welcome park with the demo units. I have hot shots, motorstorm and little deviants. I'm thinking of selling little deviants though, I heard it wasn't much of a game. Advice?

orioto

Good Art™
About minis, i have a question, despite i fear the obvious answer. Does minis on vita are the psp versions or the ps3 one ? I mean, are they half rez ?

Massa

About minis, i have a question, despite i fear the obvious answer. Does minis on vita are the psp versions or the ps3 one ? I mean, are they half rez ?

minis only have a low-res, PSP version. I believe Hungry Giraffe is the only exception that somehow managed to use higher resolution assets when played under the PS3.

SharkJAW

Just got my vita from the taco bell contest! It's so amazing I love the screen the only time I was able to use it was for welcome park with the demo units. I have hot shots, motorstorm and little deviants. I'm thinking of selling little deviants though, I heard it wasn't much of a game. Advice?

Little Deviants in interesting in its use of all of the Vita's inputs (especially the AR), but its quite shallow, imo.

jogarrr

Does anyone know how Amazon handles returns of the 3G bundle? I have already paid for the 3G service, and my memory card already has content in it, so would I have to return those too?

I had to do a return of my first edition bundle and since they ship the replacement immediately and give you 30 days to return the defective one I just kept my original memory card and swapped the SIM card when the new one arrived.

matmanx1

Finally got around to starting Uncharted a few days ago and made it through Chapter 17 tonight. Chapter 17 was by far the best thing I've seen in the game so far and was gorgeous, fun and contained some great music. And I can easily say that of all the launch games I've played so far Uncharted has the best lighting. The game may be subqHD but it's still a very good looking game and easily among the best looking launch games.

I was skeptical when the early reviews and previews started coming in but after getting the game for $40 from Toysrus.com I can say that my fears were unfounded and Golden Abyss is a true Uncharted game and unless the quality tanks in the last half of the game it easily stands among it's console brethren in quality.

edit- hahaha wow I had NO idea you were actually using Archer for the comparison. For some reason your picture didn't show up and I had to copy and paste the location

lmao I know this feeling

I have iPad 3 and colors on vita are better (as expected with oled) but iPad screen is larger so I just use that for Netflix personally.

SRTtoZ

I would sell Deviants for something like Rayman, Uncharted, UMvC3 or Lumines.

Agent X

I downloaded the three augmented reality games (Cliff Diving, Fireworks, and Table Soccer) a couple of weeks ago, but never got around to trying them until today.

Cliff Diving and Fireworks are OK games, especially considering they're free, but they really don't make good use of AR. All they are doing is superimposing the "playfield" on whatever surface you're using. I actually felt more restricted by the AR elements, since I have to aim the Vita's camera at the card to continue playing, rather than being able to play from a comfortable position of my choice.

Then I went to try Table Soccer, and I got stuck on the tutorial! When it asks me to "zoom in", I try moving the system forward, but it won't progress to the next step. I can zoom up to about an inch away from the table, it still won't progress. If I zoom back more than about 2 feet from the cards, it'll report "out of range". Moving the 01/02/03 cards closer or further apart doesn't seem to affect this. This will change the size of the playfield (as it's supposed to), but the size of the playfield doesn't matter because the range for the distance from the Vita to "see" the cards is still 2 feet or less. No matter what I try, it just never detects my repeated efforts to "zoom in". I had no choice but to quit out of the game.

I then figured I'd switch to the camera to see if there's some lighting issue that I'm missing. Lighting seems to be OK, but my goodness, the image quality is truly one of the absolute WORST I have ever seen from anything purporting to be a digital camera. The amount of grain is atrocious, and there's no settings that you can adjust to compensate.

The camera on the Vita is so shockingly TERRIBLE that I'm wondering if my system has a defective camera, or if everyone's Vita camera is this bad. I know that some of the hardware reviews have mentioned the low quality camera, but this is much worse than I expected. The old PSP snap-on camera had far better quality. I have a digital camera that's approaching 15 years old, and even that has significantly better image quality than the Vita.

At this point, I've become disenchanted with the concept of AR games on the Vita--this is turning into a real bust. Between the difficult camera tracking, having to hold the system relatively close to a card to maintain the virtual playfield, and games not really utilizing the environment, it's seriously disappointing. Developers might be better of just forgetting about AR altogether. I'd prefer to simply use the touch screen to drag onscreen icons for item placement, than to place cards in the real world. It might be a cute gimmick to see a playfield rendered in your kitchen or your bedroom, but there are too many restrictions that hinder the level of enjoyment.

Elios83

It's spring, almost April.... I'd say it's time for a big firmware update.
I hope for Psone compatibility and more features for the video/pictures/photo apps which in the current state are pretty much barebone.
Also they promised non gaming apps in spring like the alarm clock and paint.
If I have to wait until June for new games (Gravity Rush and MGS Collection) at least give us more features and the ability to play the Psone back catalogue Sony.

Hex

Banned
I downloaded the three augmented reality games (Cliff Diving, Fireworks, and Table Soccer) a couple of weeks ago, but never got around to trying them until today.

Cliff Diving and Fireworks are OK games, especially considering they're free, but they really don't make good use of AR. All they are doing is superimposing the "playfield" on whatever surface you're using. I actually felt more restricted by the AR elements, since I have to aim the Vita's camera at the card to continue playing, rather than being able to play from a comfortable position of my choice.

Then I went to try Table Soccer, and I got stuck on the tutorial! When it asks me to "zoom in", I try moving the system forward, but it won't progress to the next step. I can zoom up to about an inch away from the table, it still won't progress. If I zoom back more than about 2 feet from the cards, it'll report "out of range". Moving the 01/02/03 cards closer or further apart doesn't seem to affect this. This will change the size of the playfield (as it's supposed to), but the size of the playfield doesn't matter because the range for the distance from the Vita to "see" the cards is still 2 feet or less. No matter what I try, it just never detects my repeated efforts to "zoom in". I had no choice but to quit out of the game.

I then figured I'd switch to the camera to see if there's some lighting issue that I'm missing. Lighting seems to be OK, but my goodness, the image quality is truly one of the absolute WORST I have ever seen from anything purporting to be a digital camera. The amount of grain is atrocious, and there's no settings that you can adjust to compensate.

The camera on the Vita is so shockingly TERRIBLE that I'm wondering if my system has a defective camera, or if everyone's Vita camera is this bad. I know that some of the hardware reviews have mentioned the low quality camera, but this is much worse than I expected. The old PSP snap-on camera had far better quality. I have a digital camera that's approaching 15 years old, and even that has significantly better image quality than the Vita.

At this point, I've become disenchanted with the concept of AR games on the Vita--this is turning into a real bust. Between the difficult camera tracking, having to hold the system relatively close to a card to maintain the virtual playfield, and games not really utilizing the environment, it's seriously disappointing. Developers might be better of just forgetting about AR altogether. I'd prefer to simply use the touch screen to drag onscreen icons for item placement, than to place cards in the real world. It might be a cute gimmick to see a playfield rendered in your kitchen or your bedroom, but there are too many restrictions that hinder the level of enjoyment.

I have never understood why systems still have such shittiest cameras.
The 3DS was the first I thought would finally have at least maybe a 5mp camera or something but no, and then the VITA also released with a shitty camera.
Even terrible cel phones these days have better cameras then these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom