• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I have never understood why systems still have such shittiest cameras.
The 3DS was the first I thought would finally have at least maybe a 5mp camera or something but no, and then the VITA also released with a shitty camera.
Even terrible cel phones these days have better cameras then these things.

The systems don't have enough power to process AR games at 60 fps at 5mp per frame. So they went with a low resolution camera, but kept the framerate high..

Orca

The camera on the Vita is so shockingly TERRIBLE that I'm wondering if my system has a defective camera, or if everyone's Vita camera is this bad. I know that some of the hardware reviews have mentioned the low quality camera, but this is much worse than I expected. The old PSP snap-on camera had far better quality. I have a digital camera that's approaching 15 years old, and even that has significantly better image quality than the Vita.

No, it's just that bad. I took a pic with it when I first got it and was surprised but figured it was the poor light. So I pulled out the 4S and took a shot in the same spot - no comparison at all.

It's passable for AR stuff outside or in sunlight, but any kind of dim light ruins the image quality.

Agent X

The systems don't have enough power to process AR games at 60 fps at 5mp per frame. So they went with a low resolution camera, but kept the framerate high..

The resolution and frame rate are moot when the camera has difficulty detecting the placement of the cards on the table as it is now. I'd imagine that whatever is causing the extreme grain on photos is interfering with the system's ability to "lock on" to the cards in Table Soccer.

I searched the Web, and evidently I'm not the only one that has experienced this problem.

Agent X

Well, after the fourth try, I finally got Table Soccer to work. Cute concept, but very difficult to play. Everything's accomplished with gestures on the touch screen, and the gestures don't always work the way you think they should.

Like the other two games, it's held back by limitations of the AR setup. I'd almost prefer that these weren't "augmented reality" games, and instead could be played instantly from a comfortable position without the need to set up AR cards in advance.

Grinchy

Banned
Ok so what's the best way to convert video to the vita? I checked first post but didn't see anything about playing video on the vita.

I've used Handbrake a couple times with this plugin for Vita.

Just remember that you have to go to one of the tabs and change the slider for video quality. Somewhere around 20 is usually just fine. If you don't change it, you'll end up with the worst quality video you've ever seen.

This needs to be put in the OP imo.

Yeah I agree. And if the OP does put it there, feel free to use this picture as well.

s7hpg.png

KooPaL

I asked a few pages ago and no one replied. I ended up buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YFDRHW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It just arrived today. This does seem to charge the Vita, but you need to plug it in through the Galaxy Tab adapter (included) for it to charge.

Thanks for the heads up. So just a quick question... Can you play while charging and I dont need to buy anything else right? I was also thinking of getting the 11000 MaH version so hopefully that should work too. I am curious about how many charges can you go for the 9900 mah one?

I'll post this here since I don't want to fill the other thread up with port begging - I hope Epic Mickey 2 comes to the Vita in some form. My impression from the other thread is that its coming to PS3/360/Wii/3DS so hopefully there is a chance

Personally I think it will reflect poorly on the Vita if it can't pick up major multi-platform releases like this. Yeah exclusives drive a system but multi-platform games that aren't lego or sports are still really important too. I hope Sony is doing what they can to get Vita this type of support

Honestly I'm at the point where I don't even want to buy something on the PS3 anymore. Give me a vita option and I'll pick it every time

Ken

I'll post this here since I don't want to fill the other thread up with port begging - I hope Epic Mickey 2 comes to the Vita in some form. My impression from the other thread is that its coming to PS3/360/Wii/3DS so hopefully there is a chance

Personally I think it will reflect poorly on the Vita if it can't pick up major multi-platform releases like this. Yeah exclusives drive a system but multi-platform games that aren't lego or sports are still really important too. I hope Sony is doing what they can to get Vita this type of support

Honestly I'm at the point where I don't even want to buy something on the PS3 anymore. Give me a vita option and I'll pick it every time

That'd be cool. I always wanted to try EM1 but didn't want to bother with hooking up my Wii to the CRT and everything.

pramath

Banned
Okay, got my first PS Vita game today.
The cartridge is so adorable and so tiny. I mean, I thought it would be impossible to get a smaller cartridge size after the DS, but nope!
I love the cartridges... is it weird that I'm talking about this so much?

That'd be cool. I always wanted to try EM1 but didn't want to bother with hooking up my Wii to the CRT and everything.

I always wanted to try the first but the poor impressions turned me off at full price and I just kind of forgot about it until the EM2 rumors started last week or so

Think I'll just wait for 2 at this point assuming its this year

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm still wondering if Silent Hill will come out next week. 27 is still the release date on the Sony page and Amazon, and the snippets for the OST are already out.

patsu

The resolution and frame rate are moot when the camera has difficulty detecting the placement of the cards on the table as it is now. I'd imagine that whatever is causing the extreme grain on photos is interfering with the system's ability to "lock on" to the cards in Table Soccer.

I searched the Web, and evidently I'm not the only one that has experienced this problem.

It may be a combination of software issue and environmental complications (reflection, too bright/dark).

The Markerless AR seems to work ok when conditions are favorable:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466197

Wonko_C

UMvC3 Vita scrub lobbies, anyone?

I have not done anything wtih my Vita gaming-wise in a loooong time.

I'm an UMVC3 god (ok not really but I have made lots of people ragequit and send me hate-mail thanks to my 100% combos), but I only play well with 2 characters (Zero/Spencer, I want to master Hiryu but Vergil is easier to play cheap with), so this would be a good way to try new characters like Phoenix Wright :p.

Count me in... at certain hours because my internet only works OK for gaming in the morning or midnight.

totowhoa

Banned
Whoa I thought there was a choice of like four games or so for the free AT&T game. Went ahead and got the 3G model since it came with the memory card a few weeks ago. Was about to sign up for 3G a few minutes ago for the game when I decided to make sure I was still eligible since I've waited so long... turns out it's super star dust only which I had no idea :( I bought that day one! Oh well, should have looked into it more first.

Epcott

I need some PSN Vita friends! Feel free to add me:

PSN: thunderbear

sent a request, my PSN: Epcott

Man, I need a larger memory stick, I want to buy Monster Hunter or some Vita games online, but this tiny card, I don't think she can take it.
I looked on Tiger Direct, and they're just as expensive. This is driving me crazy.

frequency

It would be pretty worrying if a multi-platform release hit everything except the Vita.
Especially when there was so much talk about how easy it is to port to the Vita. If publishers/developers skip it for a multi-platform release, it would have to be a sales-based decision.

3DS version right now is just a rumour right?

Anyone using a portable charger with their vita?
apparently there's some wiring shenanigans that means a lot of chargers simply don't work.

I have two official chargers ordered, but i noticed that there's a third party Vita specific charger available now in stores. I -might- get it seeing as i've got a long trip coming up (27 hours door to door)
That's what I'm a little worried about. The official vita one apparently needs the vita charger and USB cable to charge it, which is a pain. And if it doesn't also charge iPhones etc then it's a one trick pony. I might check eBay, see if they sell USB cables that flip the wires inside, which would let other chargers charge vita too

I was annoyed that my iPad square USB charger didn't charge the Vita, but the NOOK Simple Touch Adapter works fine:

It is smaller than the iPad charger, priced great, and as an unexpected bonus it charges my iPad too which means I can let it pull double-duty. Major increase in bag space because of this thing.

Why does Sony insist on these VCR cords for portable devices?

zoukka

You're comparing a dedicated gaming device to a tablet that is not, not to mention the huge difference in screen size. Fair comparisons were thrown out the window a long time ago.

Well you went apeshit with your comparison, that's for sure. I made a comparison because I use my ipad daily in similar situations as I do my handhelds. It's just portable enough inside my house for that. I doubt any handheld will impress me technically anymore now that the tablet devices are here to stay. That is with raw performance. The Vita was incredibly light though.

Also the overly bright screen of the ipad is well suited in portable situations, whereas as a TV screen I hate too bright images.

wowzors

Just bought corpse party, can't help but feel I should have got the 3rd birthday or sumioni instead. Here's to hoping it gets better (about an hour and a half in).

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Treasure of Montezuma Blitz, it's a trap, waiting for lives to replenish is fine, but I didn't realise that you had to purchase crystals with real money also :-(, I love these types of games, I nearly considered buying some crystals but had to give myself a mental slap to stop myself, I think I may buy puzzle quest instead to get my fix for now.

Grinchy

Banned
When I load this preset, handbrake crashes :(
I have no problem with other presets, I don't know what's wrong.

Damn I wish I knew how to help you out but I never came across that problem. To be honest I have only even had to use the program a few times so I don't know much about it to begin with.

Argyle

Thanks for the heads up. So just a quick question... Can you play while charging and I dont need to buy anything else right? I was also thinking of getting the 11000 MaH version so hopefully that should work too. I am curious about how many charges can you go for the 9900 mah one?

Yeah, you should be able to play while charging. I think the Vita internal battery is about 2200mah? Be aware that the other NewTrent battery packs do NOT come with that Galaxy Tab adapter (that just shorts the data pins), which is why I bought the model I chose.

I just finished the Uncharted demo (looks great) but it just restarted after clearing the bad guys off the bridge is that normal?

Edit: Also I take it you can't charge the Vita via USB on the PC?

Just tried Dungeon Hunter: Alliance as I was craving a loot collecting fest on the Vita. So disappointed by the demo. The loading is still slow, maybe marginally faster than the PS3 game but still slow, and dropped frames left and right. Still craving though...
The frame rate is abysmal, but I still found it worthwhile. Ubisoft games tend to drop in price quite fast, so you might find it at an acceptable price soon.

Grinchy

Banned
How do I copy movies onto my Vita? Where do I put them so the CMA can find them? I have a ripped Inception in .x264 and it's not seeing it :(

Open up Content Manager on your PC. You have to tell it what folders to use for the different types of media. Then as long as you have the right folder, the Vita should see it when you do the PC-->Vita transfer

I'm sure this isn't new information but I haven't seen it posted, you can change your banner in the friends list. Go to your account settings and there will be a panel options there are a ton of different panels from different games to chose from it's pretty cool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I asked a few pages ago and no one replied. I ended up buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YFDRHW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It just arrived today. This does seem to charge the Vita, but you need to plug it in through the Galaxy Tab adapter (included) for it to charge.

cool, thanks for potentially taking one for the team. So with the adapter it'll charge the vita, and then normally it'll also charge iphones/ipads etc? sounds good

edit: Amazon UK doesn't have that model, wonder if you can get the cable separately

Just saw final fantasy tactics at $6.99. So incredibly tempted, but do I need a forth copy of this game? (ps1, umd, and ios)

Also, I'm curious about the metal slug series. Any one on the store more worth it? Thinking of buying the first one for the low price ($6.99). Never played the series but am a Contra fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom