• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Near set to automatically update, and I'm surprised it doesn't do it by default.
See, I have mine set to that, too. But every time I go somewhere, it seems to ignore the fact that I went out and captures the area right around my house.

I surprised by how many people actually post on mine but it's always for games I don't have :( (then again I have only 3 games lol)
Every once in awhile I get a Hustle Kings avatar(that I can't use because I don't have the game) and that's it. It sucks.

Another small tip, if you want to quote multiple people in the same post, hit the plus sign next to quote.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
See, I have mine set to that, too. But every time I go somewhere, it seems to ignore the fact that I went out and captures the area right around my house.
I feel like you'd need 3G to make Near work well away from home. I'm glad there isn't a chart for the distances I've traveled, because it would be one mile, one mile, five miles, one mile, 7392 miles, one mile, and so on. It's a weird application.

RkOwnage

Picked up ModNationRacers Vita today since it was 9.99, couldn't pass up on that offer. Unfortunately the Vita is packed away so I won't get to try it out until next week. Oh well, didn't wanna miss out on that deal.

Still can't wait for PSone support.

Koroviev

Chapter 18 or so in Gravity Rush...

Getting sidetracked too much by monster hunter and trails in the sky. I need to buckle down and finish it. Kat is getting impatient.

This is me. Every time I think I'm going to start a Vita game, I end up playing a PSP game instead. Haven't really played a Vita game yet, despite having three :x

Edit: Anyone with Persona 2 care to post impressions? Still thinking about getting it before the sale ends.

Chapter 18 or so in Gravity Rush...

Getting sidetracked too much by monster hunter and trails in the sky. I need to buckle down and finish it. Kat is getting impatient.
totally forgot to respond to this

It's okay. I was pumped to play and love the game, but I still haven't made it past Chapter 5 or so.

This is me. Every time I think I'm going to start a Vita game, I end up playing a PSP game instead. Haven't really played a Vita game yet, despite having three :x

Edit: Anyone with Persona 2 care to post impressions? Still thinking about getting it before the sale ends.
Same here. Every time I get the urge to play a Vita game, I just end up playing SFA3:Max since I absolutely loathe these games' load times.

Which games in particular? I only have UC:GA, UMVC3 and Hot Shots, so I was curious which have bad load times?
UMVC3 is awful compared to the PS3 version. That alternating red/blue "Now Loading" screen is the stuff of nightmares for Mission Mode :-(

NGS+ and MGS:HD are decent though, but I'm not sure why even they are as long as they are since it's all flash memory. Must be some major compression.

RkOwnage

UMVC3 is awful compared to the PS3 version. That alternating red/blue "Now Loading" screen is the stuff of nightmares for Mission Mode :-(

NGS+ and MGS:HD are decent though, but I'm not sure why even they are as long as they are since it's all flash memory. Must be some major compression.

I have considered MGS:HD for a while now, but I don't know, I own these games on PS2 and Xbox 360 (shoulda bought PS3 with PSV in mind) so I'm not completely sold on them..

plus I heard they only run at 30fps...not that I EXPECT 60, but it's kind of disappointing.

Koroviev

I have considered MGS:HD for a while now, but I don't know, I own these games on PS2 and Xbox 360 (shoulda bought PS3 with PSV in mind) so I'm not completely sold on them..

plus I heard they only run at 30fps...not that I EXPECT 60, but it's kind of disappointing.

30 fps for MGS3, variable fps for MGS2, which actually makes it more noticeable.

NGS+ goes straight into first person mode if you tap the touch screen, even the very corner, so I accidentally lose my zen at least once every 20 seconds. It's still very playable if you can get used to it (I can't...)

MGS:HD looks OK, despite the sub-native res and disappointing framerate. MGS3 actually still looks stunning in parts.

Neither game matches up to its console counterpart - you're not missing anything.

Newline

MGS3 looked really smooth to me, can definitely tell its not at the solid 60 but its in no way off putting.

Man virtua tennis 4 was so worth the fourty bucks. Im digging the career mode so far, but it feels like a quality game.
I was planning on trying some hot shots golf but ill have to get to bed. If you can find a copy, or download i highly reccomend the game.

For anyone that owns the PSOne Classics version Ridge Racer Type 4, does it include the bonus content on the second disc from the original PlayStation release? I found videos of Ridge Racer Turbo on YouTube and am having the biggest nostalgia kick right now.

Unfortunately, no it is not included. I wish it was though cause that 60 fps Ridge Racer was really something else!

stupei

Picked up a Vita last week and while I did get Gravity Rush, I also loaded it with a few PSP RPGs I want to replay/finish.

For some reason my copy of Persona has a digital manual but none of the other PSP games appear to have one on their live screen. I guess it's possible I did something differently with Persona at some point without realizing, but otherwise is there a reason some games appear to have digital manuals and others don't?

It's been useful so far for some status effects that aren't as common across other RPGs, even other SMTs. Would be nice to have for the others too.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Besides book of memories, does anyone think we'll get a survival horror title exclusively for the Vita?
Book of Memories isn't even really a survival horror title. If the Siren team has positive experiences after Gravity Rush, it would be great to see a Siren game. To be honest though, portable survival horror games are never too scary. I'd love a Fatal Frame game with the gyro, but I'm pretty sure that's a Nintendo IP now.

Koroviev

Picked up a Vita last week and while I did get Gravity Rush, I also loaded it with a few PSP RPGs I want to replay/finish.

For some reason my copy of Persona has a digital manual but none of the other PSP games appear to have one on their live screen. I guess it's possible I did something differently with Persona at some point without realizing, but otherwise is there a reason some games appear to have digital manuals and others don't?

It's been useful so far for some status effects that aren't as common across other RPGs, even other SMTs. Would be nice to have for the others too.

I had that happen, too. There's a manual for Tactics Ogre, but no manual for FFT :\

Iacobellis

Unfortunately, no it is not included. I wish it was though cause that 60 fps Ridge Racer was really something else!

Wow. In the case, I am going to have to get the cash and buy a PS1 and relive my childhood. Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, etc. The majority won't be on PSN anyways.

So what would be the better first experience to the MGS series.

MGS1 + HD collection on my ps3,

Or the same (when ps1 support happens) on my vita?

I know MGS series is known to use pretty much all the buttons, so I wonder if I will get a compromised experience on the vita.

patsu

I feel like you'd need 3G to make Near work well away from home. I'm glad there isn't a chart for the distances I've traveled, because it would be one mile, one mile, five miles, one mile, 7392 miles, one mile, and so on. It's a weird application.

You can manually force a Near update next time you go out. It should note your location even if it has problem contacting the Near servers.

When you get home. Do another update. It should show you information about your previous location also.

If not, something is amiss.

MGS3 looked really smooth to me, can definitely tell its not at the solid 60 but its in no way off putting.

MGS3 is pretty much locked at 30fps on Vita ...more so than the HD collection is locked at 60 on PS3. Only dips during heavy shit like Volgin's lighting strikes in cutscenes (which also happens on PS3 anyways)

Honestly I preferred playing MGS3 on my Vita rather than on PS3. Preferred touchscreen inventory and no stupid pressure sensitive buttons. Also, holding L to "stalk" >>>>> DualShock D-Pad

Pisses me off though that Armeture didn't just lock the fucking framerate to 30 for MGS2. I could have easily lived with that. Instead, we get a sloppy, constantly fluctuating framerate the moment action happens.

You can manually force a Near update next time you go out. It should note your location even if it has problem contacting the Near servers.

When you get home. Do another update. It should show you information about your previous location also.

If not, something is amiss.

Would that be "Turn on near automatic location updates"(which seems to be 3G only?) or "Obtain location automatically at regular intervals?" If the latter, that's still how it works, for some reason. I go out with my Vita and it never tracks where I go and only the areas surrounding my house(like a block or two away and whatnot).

Not like I care much, but always nice to share, yes?

Benedict

I keep playing Tombs of Montezuma Blitz... Even though I have just bought Unit 13, Virtua Tennis 4 and Gravity Rush...

Edit: would really like to see a updated version of Gravity Crash to Vita...

Jawmuncher

Is there any word yet on if ZOE HD Collection is coming to Vita.
I recall he said the PS3 version would have transfarring, which you'd assume would confirm as much. But they haven't mentioned it at all since they first revealed the games.

I'm assuming that their just going to release the vita version a few months later, much like the MGS HD collection was. Considering we all knew it was coming just not when.

patsu

Would that be "Turn on near automatic location updates"(which seems to be 3G only?) or "Obtain location automatically at regular intervals?" If the latter, that's still how it works, for some reason. I go out with my Vita and it never tracks where I go and only the areas surrounding my house(like a block or two away and whatnot).

Not like I care much, but always nice to share, yes?

Are there 2 options ? If so, no harm trying them both. The location update should work on WiFi also since it's based on SkyHook technology. It uses the WiFi signal strength surrounding you to map your location based on a huge database of known WiFi access points.

patsu

Wololo explained this process, check his blog. not actually played on vita, just stream.

http://wololo.net/2012/07/09/left-4-dead-on-the-vita-is-cool-but-not-what-you-think/#more-4819

The game is not running on the vita, it is running on the dev’s PC, and the result is streamed to the console, while the console’s buttons are mapped to some specific keys on the PC. If you’ve ever used VNC, that’s basically the idea.

Some people are amazed at how good it looks, and at how there is no ping, but that would be expected on a local network.

As a matter of fact, such a thing already exists on the 7-years-old PSP, and you can basically achieve similar results using Portable VNC or PSPDisp, as shown in the video below:

the interesting point here is that to get PSP Disp to run on your PSP, you need a CFW. That is not the case here, as everything is coded using the official playstation suite.

As far as this remote desktop application ever making it to the official playstation store… only time will tell. In the meantime, the author said he would be releasing it “soon”, which probably implies he will be releasing the source code for those of you who have the pss sdk and want to compile it.

Man virtua tennis 4 was so worth the fourty bucks. Im digging the career mode so far, but it feels like a quality game.
I was planning on trying some hot shots golf but ill have to get to bed. If you can find a copy, or download i highly reccomend the game.

Picked this up the other day from an online company for £15.50 I think, cheaper than the digital download on the PS Store even with their sale price. Great game and graphically so smooth and sharp!

Jawmuncher

Maybe a Dead Space spinoff of DS3?

You know were still waiting for that Resident Evil Portable.
To this day we still have no clue what that was and if it was ever moved over to the vita for devlopment.

My dream is that the game was a portable version of outbreak with online play and voice chat. Since to me it would make a lot of since especially when you consider the Japan side of things since the game could be played through ad-hoc and gain the sort of craze that MH has when it comes to playing with all sorts of different people.

Picked this up the other day from an online company for £15.50 I think, cheaper than the digital download on the PS Store even with their sale price. Great game and graphically so smooth and sharp!

it's easily the best looking vita game and is the best game to flaunt the system imo.

Native res.

60 fps.

No texture compromise (that I can see).

Takao

Banned
You know were still waiting for that Resident Evil Portable.
To this day we still have no clue what that was and if it was ever moved over to the vita for devlopment.

My dream is that the game was a portable version of outbreak with online play and voice chat. Since to me it would make a lot of since especially when you consider the Japan side of things since the game could be played through ad-hoc and gain the sort of craze that MH has when it comes to playing with all sorts of different people.

Oh, you thought RE: Portable actually existed

1234295418_hermione%20kiss.gif

Jawmuncher

Hmm tell me what to buy; my first game

1. Uncharted or
2. Rayman or
3. Stardust

I would say Uncharted followed by stardust.
While I love rayman, the game is still better on a console with the coop included.
Especialyl since you can grab it for cheaper there as well.

SAFCDan

Neo Member
Hello! :)

My account has just been activated, so whilst I'm a new member I've been lurking for some time reading the thread regularly - it's quite clear that VitaGAF is best GAF so I'm looking forward to being able to contribute.

I'm a UK Vita owner having picked up my console on launch day, really love being able to buy games digitally and have them all ready to play without having to carry multiple cards around with me (I lost a few of my PSP Pro-Duos so don't stand a chance carrying loose Vita cards). The downside of this is that I've maxed out my 32GB card, waiting patiently (or should that be desperately) for a 64GB....

What I've picked up so far...

Retail Cart
Virtua Tennis 4 (My favourite launch game, played through career but online seems a little too laggy)

Retail Digital
Everybody's Golf
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Modnation Racers : Road Trip
Ridge Racer (Yes I know :( It was cheap thanks to the Katamari voucher and I was desperate for a racing car game - F1 2011 was a rubbish port)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13
Wipeout

PSN Games
Escape Plan
Hustle Kings
Motorstorm RC + DLC
Super Stardust Delta
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

PSP Games
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Tactics
Half-Minute Hero
LocoRoco
Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker
Persona 2
Persona 3 Portable
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Ys I & II Chronicles

Also have Final Fantasy V,VI,VII,VIII and IX waiting ready for the 1.8 update, though I'll need to make space or buy a new memory card I guess. :(

I think that's all, sorry for the long post but an introduction post seemed like the right thing to do after seeing a number of other junior members do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom