• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

Eterniti

This might be redundant, but if it allows me to use my Vita to be able to play other touch enabled Vita games on my TV via Vita TV, then this is a purchase for me.

ibry0Yl08YFRcS.gif

iQ9YS6AzeTU4t.gif

halfbeast

Banned
Well, my interest in the new Vita model just took a nose dive, lol.

Also, the Vita TV better be compatible with the Dual Shock 4. Sucks that it's bundled with a DS3. :-\

I think it's more of an "early adopters" bundle, since it's coming before the ps4 in japan, it'll be playable with a DS4 as well, I'm sure!

$h@d0w

The PSVITA TV bundle screen showed the PS vita memory cards, so they couldn't even be bothered to add some internal flash memory or something ? Come on now.

Storage is not really needed when you're remote playing or streaming content from elsewhere?

Dragon

Banned
Some places and people are reporting you still need a Vita to be able to use it? I don't really see the point if this is just an expensive pass-through box they are selling instead of a cable + system update.

Who is reporting it? It has a memory card and game slot for Vita games...that would make no sense.

For 100 dollars you can play any ps1/psp/psv digital game you own. If you own a ps4 you'll be able to plug this into another tv and use your ps4 remotely.

madmackem

WOW megaton, anyone who has more than one room they game in normally need to fuck about moving console around or buy another one. This kills that problem for a low cost. Also its a cheap media streaming box, and it plays vita games im in fucking day one son. Love it.

I was so excited for the possibility of an HDMI out, that I didn't even consider this feasible. Seriously amazing that Sony would do this. Will buy it at launch.

Metfanant

Welp...ive always said that if i could play Vita/PSP games on my PS3/PS4 that i would buy some of the software....

i'd still prefer just to be able to install the Vita/PSP games straight to my PS4 HDD, but this is a DAMN close next best thing...for $100 i think i might bite...

PS4+PSvitaTV bundle for $449-$499 incoming?

Odrion

Banned
I'll be honest, I don't get it.
Needs more details.

It's basically a Vita console?
How do the touch/gyro/camera gimmicks work?
If they don't how do the games deal with it?
Can you just use it as a Vita, down to cartridges?
Can you connect a Vita to it and use it as a restreamer?
I just... it's so baffling.
Think of it as an Apple TV alternative. Except it also can play PS1/PSP/PSV games.

Not bad for $100.

Cartman86

Banned
Remember earlier in the year, the rumors of disk-less $99 Xbox360 that was suppose to compete with AppleTV & Roku? Sony just beat MS to it.

Yep. Did not expect this from Sony. I expected Microsoft to be the ones to do this streaming from one console to multiple dongles stuff first.

They just killed Apple TV. They effectively have one of the cheapest consoles on the market on top of featuring multi media apps that people can't get enough of. If they can get HBO and ESPN on this thing it's going to be a huge success. It also breathes life into VIta software.

Glass Rebel

This is a great idea. It's a bummer that not every game will work but at this price and with the added PS4 streaming functionality... wow.

bounchfx

I am so confused.. what exactly is this? Is there a press fact sheet? At first glance it seems like a device that plays vita games without the obvious benefit of portability.. which, I had thought, a ps3/ps4 was for? It seems like theres more functions though....? gotta learn more about it I suppose! I'm intrigued as long as it does more than just vita games.

It's basically what I wanted from Vita, although I'd be much happier with a portable Vita with HDMI out. Oh well, at that price I'll probably get it anyway.

EDIT: Oh, not all Vita games will be playable? Makes sense when you think about it, but yeah, I don't want it.

Top Bottom