• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

Despera

Banned
Megaton.

Definitely getting one of these once everything's clear about what I'd be missing without the touch controls.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Who is reporting it? It has a memory card and game slot for Vita games...that would make no sense.

For 100 dollars you can play any ps1/psp/psv digital game you own. If you own a ps4 you'll be able to plug this into another tv and use your ps4 remotely.

Seen several mentions on Twitter and Joystiq says it "connects with your Vita." Maybe it's wrong, I certainly hope so because it makes no sense at all.

Hung_real

dfuq is the point of vita portable exclusives, when you can get a device that is half the price to play the same games.

Its clear that Vita isn't doing very hot

This cheap device will (hopefully) boost the sales of software and in turn developers will create more titles for PSVita + Vita Tivi

Also it can streams PS4 games !!!

web01

No reason why devs cant patch games to make touch features optional / re assignable.
Would be surprised if 1st party games were not patched.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's more of an "early adopters" bundle, since it's coming before the ps4 in japan, it'll be playable with a DS4 as well, I'm sure!
Yeah, I'm sure the DS4 will be compatible, but I'm still bummed it's not being bundled with it. They can spare a few DS4s before the PS4 launch, right? ;-)

Some places and people are reporting you still need a Vita to be able to use it? I don't really see the point if this is just an expensive pass-through box they are selling instead of a cable + system update.

No, it's a standalone console. You can buy the bundle with the Vita TV and a controller and you'll be able to play digital and physical Vita games, as well as use all those entertainment apps like Netflix.

And for $100. Great deal even if you aren't a gamer.

Chanser

i9iK0hFhlnOtF.jpg

iboA6hCeKk5TZj.jpg

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So uh... Uncharted GA, Tearaway, Murasaki Baby and so on so forth are a no-go. Guess I still gotta mod my Vita for capture then.

AngryMoth

That really is an amazing price for access to (most of?) the vita library.

I don't understand the remote play thing, is it just so you don't have to move your ps4 from room to room?

I'm sure it's a cost thing but it's a shame they couldn't use a dualshock 4 for it instead as the touchpad would help with compatibility. edit: oh it doesn't come with a controller? ok

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They just eliminated the need for a ton of people to own the Vita...

assuming they make similar profit from this, they won't care - if it grows the addressable market for vita devs it is good news.

This is a great idea for PS4 remoteplay around the house. If the quality is good enough, it is something I'd buy almost immediately just for that - let me play on a TV in the bedroom rather than on my Vita.

I hope this means they'll make a bigger push for apps though - it could be a really nice little media box if they open it up. (will be a nice netflix alternative to my ipad too)

Question: how does the vita handle PSN account sharing? One option for this would be to use my PS+ account and access to vita games, but would my kids be able to play at the same time I'm on my Vita? eg for local or online multiplayer it would be a cheap way to get a pseudo second vita in the house.

Foffy

Banned
So how does this work? Do you connect your Vita to the device for TV-out, or is it already designed to replace Vita? If the latter, how in the world do touch games work?

Chuck

Still without luck
Ask away. What do you need to know?

90% of sony made vita games use the touchpad, how will that work with this setup?
is the system itself a vita requiring a vita mem card and game cartridge?
can the vita be used as a controller?
can the DS4 be used as a controller?

Zoggy

wait so i don't need to get a vita now to play all these vita games i got on psplus?

and kz:mercenary?

i'm down

kubricks

I still don't understand... what is this thing?
Is it a standalone device that is essentially a PSV, but instead it's like a console where you plug in the TV and play (with a DS3/4 controller)?

Anyhow, if this will widen the audience and encourage developers to make good games on the Vita then it would be great news!

madmackem

But the touchscreen for the Vita games and the touchpad for the PS4 games man! I'm confused. Maybe the Us/Europe versions will have DS4s.

Map them to the l2 r2 hold them down and use the stick to make it a touch button. Alot of games either dont use the touch screen or you can use a button instead already so mapping the touch screen shouldnt be much issue.

J-Man

Why create a system that will compete with the PS3 and PS4? Seems like a mistake to me. Too many systems in the marketplace. Just get the PS3 price down (especially now that it's flash memory).

And if they were going to do it, at least do it right: don't make people buy overpriced VITA memory cards.

Top Bottom