• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flunkie

Banned
All these negative impressions of Katamari are disheartening, as I just played the demo and thought it was really slick! I've gotta say - what a difference two analogs make. The last two Katamari games I've played were on PSP and iPhone, and both made me want to quit the franchise. It felt.. refreshing to be back on dual analog again. But if you guys say it's not worth $30 then I'm sure I can find something better to spend it on. Like Blob and Monster Hunter or 3rd Birthday. Still trying to figure out what exactly I want to do. with my remaining PSN credit.

I really have a hankerin' for Super Monkey Ball Last Man Standing Cannon Mode - it'd be SO awesome on Vita. Hope the next PSN update enables SMB Adventure to work on Vita.

For now, I golf.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That's why I'm going all digital. F the card slot!

Yeah, I would love to go all digital, but I have a 16gb card, and after setting aside space for videos, music and DLC, I don't have room for more than a few games. Is it confirmed that I can preserve my saves by backing up games with the PC content manager? Because that's my biggest concern about going digital, since I will eventually have to rotate games due to the lack of storage space. I really would love to have games like Wipeout and Hot Shots on my Vita at all times.

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah, I would love to go all digital, but I have a 16gb card, and after setting aside space for videos, music and DLC, I don't have room for more than a few games. Is it confirmed that I can preserve my saves by backing up games with the PC content manager? Because that's my biggest concern about going digital, since I will eventually have to rotate games due to the lack of storage space.
I'm pretty sure you can backup games to your PC/Mac or PS3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How do I import save files from PSP?
Weird process.

Make a save on your Vita.
Use the Vita Content Manager to transfer your save to PC.
Copy the save from your PSP to where the Vita transferred your save (replacing it).
Then use the Content Manager to transfer the new save back to the Vita.

It's so dumb that they didn't think people would want to move saves between devices on PC.

I assume it's easier on PS3? But I have no idea.

Played most of the new demos tonight, and one old one.

Modnation Racers. Uh yeah, this game is a complete mess. I'd pay for Asphalt Injection 10 times over this game. (Actually I like Asphalt) The frame rate is indeed horrid, and in typical Modnation fashion, there is something about the controls that seem off. I can stay on the courses well enough, but I'll be God damned if the shit you have to do to play these games don't make your hands cramp up. Every damn version of this game I play, I have this issue. Anyway aside from that it's a generic, uninteresting racer.

Unit 13. This is the new version of the old demo. It worked well enough and once I tweaked the aiming sensitivity, it felt alright too. But the game itself doesn't seem very interesting. Go through a tutorial (yawn) then go into a warehouse to do some uninteresting shit while shooting generic bad guys 1, 2, and 3. Blah. Just very "same old same old." I don't know what's happened to Zipper, but lately their games have all been fairly mediocre. This is no different, it seems. It's not terrible by any means, just nothing to get excited about.

Dynasty Warriors. Not bad, in fact easily the best of the bunch. Nothing I would ever buy, but it was a competent hack and slash. I don't think the touch screen stuff they added was very interesting or necessary but overall it controlled well. And it was also one of the better looking demos. Not bad, not bad at all.

I haven't tried Katamari yet.

You guys were right about Lumines. Amazing game. Started playing it tonight and couldn't put it down.

Going to check out some downloadable stuff tomorrow and maybe look at getting another retail release. I already have Rayman: Origins on PS3, so I was thinking either Uncharted or Wipeout.

Eusis

Depends on what you want to do. If it's just a save or two you want, yeah, it's easier on PS3. If you want ALL OF THEM however it's more practical to do that. I used MHX myself to make the save, it's a short game and I barely made progress in the first place, so I had no problem with restarting it.

Of course, NOW it'll be easier to deal with PSP saves from PS3 because unlike the PSP I can copy them over to the PS3 in one giant batch from the Vita.

How do you change the background of the lockscreen?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I select LBP on my PS3, turn on my PSVita, copy it, and it won't finish copying. I always get an error.

I don't think you're using the Vita's content manager. Just after you connect the Vita, the Content Manager bubble will pulse on the Vita. Touch it, and use that to transfer Vita games from the PS3 to the Vita. It's how I got Valkyria Chronicles 2+DLC, Patapon 2, and Killzone: Liberation onto my Vita.

Weird process.

Make a save on your Vita.
Use the Vita Content Manager to transfer your save to PC.
Copy the save from your PSP to where the Vita transferred your save (replacing it).
Then use the Content Manager to transfer the new save back to the Vita.

It's so dumb that they didn't think people would want to move saves between devices on PC.

Thanks, I managed to get it working.

whitehawk

Banned
I don't think you're using the Vita's content manager. Just after you connect the Vita, the Content Manager bubble will pulse on the Vita. touch it, and use that to transfer Vita games from the PS3 to the Vita. It's how I got Valkyria Chronicles 2+DLC, Patapon 2, and Killzone: Liberation onto my Vita.
I was using the Vita's content manager. -_-

I selected content manager on my Vita and tried to transfer it. It worked for Killzone, but not LBP. I've tried it 3 times now. Maybe it's corrupted and I have to re-download it.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Loving Super Stardust. This is the perfect portable game. While I'm loving my time with Trails in the Sky, I'm constantly coming back to Super Stardus.

Ugh, I have been trying for a while to copy a game from the PS3 to the Vita and am getting a "could not connect to ps3 system" error when I open the content manager. WTF

Edit: Nevermind it worked. But it irritates me not knowing why this happened. But it worked right after I pressed the PS button on my Dualshock 3.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Afaik there isn't a way. I don't know why you would want to anyway. (Well I do know, I just think fullscreen at 5" is better than a super shrinked image.

Because as it stands you either get pixelated poo or blurry poo

I'd rather have the smaller window.

Just unpacked and set up mine, played a little Katamari. I love the feel of this thing, and aside from the lack of apps I'm surprised by how much content the store already has.

tenz0r

Really? I've checked some in NorCal and nothing hori at all. What have you seen? Hard cases? Silicon protectors?

SoCal here, but I've seen the hori game card case (blue and black), the hard pouch (black/red) and (blue) and the silicon cover.

The only hori products that I didn't see were screen protectors and the face cover case (the one that is $12.99 on amazon)

If it helps, Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...6_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0&se=polaris&

Has the card case by hori available for store availability check. Put your zip code in, and chances are if your store nearby shows in stock for that card case they will stock the other hori products.

You probably don't know what you are talking about. You are talking about micro GBA size screen.

Yeah, it would literally be a 2.5 inch screen at native resolution, taking up only one quarter of the screen space on a Vita. Sure, it would look sharp, but it'd be a chore to read anything!

Is there any way of forcing a PSP game onto the Vita.

Like a retard I bought Tiger Woods 10 for PSP without checking if it was compatible, it says cannot be downloaded using PS Vita and its not showing up in content manager when I connect Vita to PS3.

BIGWORM

I pulled the trigger on Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars which works perfectly fine. Also grabbed Power Stone Collection, SFA3 Max, and Ultimate Ghouls N' Ghosts. I'm still on the wall about my first Vita game purchase, though.

Danielsan

vita's oled screen is just perfect for 2d colorful games. PLus 0 ghosting . I hope more devs make 2d games for the system.
Looking forward to the inevitable Patapon game. That game is also cut out for that Near game goods business I keep reading about.

Do you guys think that its possible to have a Skyrim port on the Vita?
I'd rather have another Elder Scrolls Travels game or some other spin-off. While the Vita has more memory than the PS3, it also has weaker processing power. I'm not sure why you would want to play a severely downgraded port.

Footos22

Anyone use the official Sony case?
04-PS-Vita-case.jpg

I like the idea of it transforming into a stand.

I use it, Didn't really want it as I only wanted the pouch but the starter kit was on offer and i now don't use the pouch at all and just this.

Works great as a stand and you can just let it hang ( i thought id hate this but you don't notice it at all and doesn't get in the way)

Waiting for my SPF case though

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Today I was using the web browser, and after 5 minutes the screen went off like normal. After a short while I unlocked it and refreshed the page, but it didn't reload anything. I looked at the wi-fi signal, but it wasn't there. Turns out I had been disconnected when it went into standby. I had to go to the Wi-fi Settings in order to connect manually, which also entails standing at the end of the hallway closer to the router. Is this going to happen every time my Vita goes resumes from standby? It's really a hassle that it doesn't just reconnect automatically.

Also, do I really have to scroll all the way to the top of the page to hit Refresh? It's hardly feasible in these huge threads, especially the ones with images. And it would be nice if pages loaded to the right area when viewing a specific post.

Received my 16Gb card yesterday and could finally boot up my Vita and play some games.

It's all I hoped for and some more

- The huge OLED screen is gorgeous, it's made for playing videogames, miles ahead of the old PSP LCD. I'm glad I skipped Rayman on the PS3, it's a perfect fit for the Vita.
- It's light and sturdy
- the directional pad is really good and so are the analog sticks, although I might need some time to get used to them (I got pwned in the Uncharted demo).
- the OS is fast and easy to use and looks good too
- Multitasking is amazing
- Good speakers, haven't tested it with headphones yet.

The cons are:

-the horrible browser, when I scroll down, the page stays blank with those gray squares for half a second and then only shows the content. This isn't acceptable on such a powerful device.
-the glossy back, don't know why but I thought the touchscreen on the back was matte.

I'm a happy camper, don't think I'll regret day 1 purchase.

Eusis

-the glossy back, don't know why but I thought the touchscreen on the back was matte.
I think early pictures made the back look matte. Maybe that was even the original plan before going with a glossy back, think they should've stuck with matte if possible myself.

Twinduct

Noooooooo! Was busy downloading my preview copy of Frobisher says (whilst playing Rayman Origins) and I as I got to the end of the level, where you get scored, it said I didn't have enough space to save! ... Damn you 4GB!

Luckily I could just jump back to home and delete a demo.
Starting to like this OS more and more. But just got ICS via myTF101 and need folders ... fix it GG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom