• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

I've recently been playing around with dolphin and the pcsx2 emulators and they are both brilliant. I've been trying out my old ps2 games and the increased rendering resolution does wonders for their graphics.

I just finished playing X-men Legends and it ran perfectly well, with only some minor audio glitches. Still a fun game. Shadow of the Colossus runs at half speed but I've managed to get through half the game despite the slowdowns.

Sadly Destroy All Humans has a number of graphical glitches and crashes, but I'm going to persist in trying to get it to work.

Has anyone tried Ty the Tasmanian Tiger? I'd like to know if it works before I track down another copy.

Gvaz

Banned
They upped the assets and meshes but they redid the faces and somehow they look worse. More animu even. Is it using the FF13 engine? because that's a nice engine.

Blades64

Banned
I've recently been playing around with dolphin and the pcsx2 emulators and they are both brilliant. I've been trying out my old ps2 games and the increased rendering resolution does wonders for their graphics.

I just finished playing X-men Legends and it ran perfectly well, with only some minor audio glitches. Still a fun game. Shadow of the Colossus runs at half speed but I've managed to get through half the game despite the slowdowns.

Sadly Destroy All Humans has a number of graphical glitches and crashes, but I'm going to persist in trying to get it to work.

Has anyone tried Ty the Tasmanian Tiger? I'd like to know if it works before I track down another copy.

I just recently got into this whole emulation thing and Xmen Legends is the game I'm playing as well. Runs great at 1080p 2x MSAA. Works wonders for how the game looks.

I'm using the Lenovo y510p with dual 750m (I know the emulator only uses one GPU). Maybe Xmen Legends isn't so demanding? I see a lot of people mentioning laptops being no good for emulation but it's running fine for me so far.

Khaz

I have trouble with disc access. I tried playing Rez but I experienced freezes every time the music was changing: Basically on start disc spins, loads its data, then stop and goes silent. Then it has to start spinning again to access new data, which induces delay and freezes.

I don't know if I need to configure something in the emulator or if it's a problem with my disc drive (external usb).

[edit] Also does anyone has cool pcsx2 screenshots from Shadow of the colossus? How does it compare to the HD reedition? Does it solve the framerate problems? I have yet to play it (I know) but if I can make this emulator working right I will unwrap my copy!

RiZ III

Wow. FFX had some amazing artists. Those PS2 shots look almost prerendered, at least the faces. Too bad the PS3 version looks so bad compared to it.

Khaz

Did you try to make an ISO file of your disc? Solved some stuttering issues for me. But maybe it was just my disc drive which is kind of dying...

I didn't try but yes I can probably solve it like this. I was more thinking of some tuning to keep the disk spinning, or lower the disk-reading speed to that of a PS2, or something. I want to play with my disks, I like it better this way.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
How well is FFX running in PCSX2? I feel like playing it again but I don't know if I should wait for the PS3 remake or play the PS2 version in PCSX2.

mcmmaster

How well is FFX running in PCSX2? I feel like playing it again but I don't know if I should wait for the PS3 remake or play the PS2 version in PCSX2.

Runs perfectly, haven't ran into a single issue and i'm approaching the midpoint of the game, PCSX2 has come a long way so it plays most titles without any bugs

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Funny you'd say that, because one I've seen one of the scenes posted here screencapped on PS3.PS3:
Comparing both, it seems that the patch stretches things a bit too vertically. I wonder how easy that would be to match the PS3's ratio.

I think FFX is one of the better running games on it, depending on your PC.

Rufus

Comparing both, it seems that the patch stretches things a bit too vertically. I wonder how easy that would be to match the PS3's ratio.
I don't think that's the patch. Check the background, the buildings look identical. Their bodies have the same proportions as well. It's the new head models that make it look weird.
Nevermind, looked at the original res side by side and you're right. The difference doesn't stick out as much in the thumbnails.
The new faces look wrong, regardless.

Anustart

Final Fantasy XII crashed on me near the beginning of the game. Was right after the Air Cutter Remora fight. Is there an issue I can fix somehow? I haven't played it back to that part to see if it was a persistent problem or not, but figured I'd ask in case it was a known issue.

At the beginning, PCSX2 was basically made for FFX. It was one of the first games that ran really well and got lots of optimizations. Or at least it felt like that. All I know is that I remember playing through the game years ago and not only once. In fact, I started another run last week. Now you even get sweet things like automatic widescreen hacks, which is really nice.

Anustart

And FF X just crashed about 10 minutes in as well. Are these crashes just constant while playing on pcsx2? If so, I'm probably out. Don't really wanna be saving every 2 minutes to protect against non-stop crashes.

mcmmaster

And FF X just crashed about 10 minutes in as well. Are these crashes just constant while playing on pcsx2? If so, I'm probably out. Don't really wanna be saving every 2 minutes to protect against non-stop crashes.

Nope crashes aren't supposed to happen, i'm using 1.0.0 and I haven't had it crash on a single game. Use 1.0.0, and if you already are then maybe your system just can't handle it

Of course it's not supposed to happen. It depends on how mature the build is you're using. If it's a nightly or otherwise not stable build, crashes can obviously occur.

Anustart

Nope crashes aren't supposed to happen, i'm using 1.0.0 and I haven't had it crash on a single game. Use 1.0.0, and if you already are then maybe your system just can't handle it

I'll try out 1.0.0 tonight and report my findings. My system shouldn't have a problem, running a 3570k and a gtx 760.

Is there any problems since I'm running windows 8.1 maybe?

Edit: Wait, I'm already on 1.0.0 (rev5350)

Would anyone mind showing me their settings where FF X doesn't crash? I'd be much appreciative.

mcmmaster

Try build PCSX2 SVN r5731, after a quick search on the PCSX2 forums I came across a few posts of other users having crashing issues on Windows 8.1.

Your system is definitely capable of running PCSX2 so it seems like its just a compatibility issue, try PCSX2 SVN r5731 and see if it makes any difference

Gvaz

Banned
I ended up fixing it by installing pcsx2 to a new folder entirely. For some reason that fixed it and I can't explain why.

How can I make Nocturne not look weird and blurry? The MC's eyes look really bad in motion.

nocturnehfu4a.jpg

Does PCSX2 benefit a lot from an SSD? Because I've got trouble running some Ratchet and Clank games for my little brother at a consistent frame rate on an Intel Core 2 Duo with a 2GB GTX 650 Ti Boost.

Does PCSX2 benefit a lot from an SSD? Because I've got trouble running some Ratchet and Clank games for my little brother at a consistent frame rate on an Intel Core 2 Duo with a 2GB GTX 650 Ti Boost.

There's probably some minor benefit, but your real problem is your old processor.

Cerity

The first ratchet and clank game ran terribly when I tried it, that was awhile ago though, so it might have been sped up a great deal since then.

Quoting myself, found these shots of Nocturne on the PCXS2 forums, they look so much clearer and colourful than what I have, anyone been able to fix this kind of problem before?

Take a screenshot of your settings for us. The one I want to see is your Emulation/ GS Window setting and the video plugin settings. The color could just be that the user tweaked the shade boost settings.

Take a screenshot of your settings for us. The one I want to see is your Emulation/ GS Window setting and the video plugin settings. The color could just be that the user tweaked the shade boost settings.
B5xfvZ8.jpg

I also played around a bit with Skipdraw to see if it would get rid of the blur, but it didn't.

Cerity

The first ratchet and clank game ran terribly when I tried it, that was awhile ago though, so it might have been sped up a great deal since then.

I'll quote myself to confirm this, dug up my copy of R&C and gave it a go, my 2500k @ 4.6ghz had trouble maintaining 45~. Speedhacks brought it up to 60 but it also wasn't a consistent frame rate dropping to 35 at some points in the first area, all at native res. Loads of graphical errors too.

Update on SMT Nocturne.

Using extremely recent PCSX2 release (r5839) with latest Gsdx plug-in:

Using same release with a Gsdx plug-in from PCSX2 9.6.0:

The latter looks so much better in motion despite re-introducing the bugged shadow, the latest Gsdx plug-in gives Nocturne a weird ghosting effect. I assume the second shot is more faithful to an actual PS2 colour-wise?

I'm trying to mod the ELF for ZOE2 so I can get widescreen, but I can't find the damn ELF-file when I open the .iso with winrar.

Anyone in the same situation?

Dwayne

I'm trying to mod the ELF for ZOE2 so I can get widescreen, but I can't find the damn ELF-file when I open the .iso with winrar.

Anyone in the same situation?

The ELF file is specified in the SYSTEM.CNF file which is editable with notepad.
Here's the PAL version:
BOOT2 = cdrom0:\SLES_511.13;1
VER = 1.01
VMODE = PAL

SLES_511.13 being the ELF file.

Jomjom

Banned
Don't know if this has been asked already but is it possible to transfer ps2 saves from pcsx2 and my ps3 and vice versa? I have the 60gb ps3 and the ps2 memory card to ps3 transfer thingy.

kai3345

Banned
Is there some sort of idiot's guide to configuring the emulator? I've taken a couple cracks at trying to get some games running and nothing's really worked out.

Santini

Don't know if this has been asked already but is it possible to transfer ps2 saves from pcsx2 and my ps3 and vice versa? I have the 60gb ps3 and the ps2 memory card to ps3 transfer thingy.

If you're interested in converting from PS3 to PCSX2, I have you covered. I converted over 100 saves a few days ago, and can vouch for this method. =)

You'll need to do some Google searching for the following PC-based tools (I can't vouch for how trustworthy/good some of the sites I've seen these on are):

-PSV Exporter v1.1
-PS2 Save Builder v0.8
-mymc

1) On your PS3, transfer your PS2 save onto a USB stick. You should have a .PSV file that you can copy on to your PC.

2) Load up PSV Exporter. Open up your PSV file with it, then select "Extract All Files" from the File option. Select a destination directory to save to; the program will create a folder within this directory named something like "BASLUS-21334Grandia3".

3) Load up PS2 Save Builder. In the Root/ID field, type in the name of the save directory that PSV Exporter created for you exactly as it appears. In this case, we'll use "BASLUS-21334Grandia3" as our example.

Open the save directory, and select all of the files that are there. In my Grandia 3 save, these files were:

BASLUS-21334Grandia3
icon.sys
icon0.ico
save00.dat
save01.dat
save02.dat
save03.dat
save04.dat
save05.dat

Drag and drop all of those files into PS2 Save Builder. Once you've done this, select File, Save As, and type the name of your save. It doesn't matter what you name it this time, but you should select to save as type "X-Port 2 (*.xps)".

4) Load up GUI version of mymc. It will ask you to choose a Memory Card Image to open up. This is the memory card you use in PCSX2, e.g., "Mcd001.ps2". Once open, choose File, Import, and choose your newly created .xps file. You should see the game save name and other info on your PCSX2 memory card. Exit out and you're done!

I haven't tried and don't actually know how to get PCSX2 save files back on to the PS3, but I'm presuming it can be done.

e.g., mymc has an option to export individual game saves as .max (Action Replay Max) files, so if you have one of those for your PS2, you can use that and then use the PS3 transfer tool to get them back.

Donos

Major thanks everybody for this thread. Saw this two weeks ago after the update and thought, why not try it. Got back my FFXII copy from a friend which i gave him after i sold my PS2 a few years ago. Disc is still in good condition. Only played half through the game back then (around 70 hours) till i sold the PS2.

Installed pcsx2 and tried it reading from Disc which made problems. Made an ISO and now it runs without problems on my laptop (i5-430M, 8 GB RAM and Radeon Mobility HD 5650). Could crank up more resolution and extra settings but i'm fine atm.
It's really easy to use and set up.

Put every other game back till i finally finish this badboy. Sadly, i already fucked up the Zodiac spear requirement, doh. Remembered it to late and didn't want to restart again just for it.

The future is now: (going to try my Bluetooth adapter with my DS3 soon).
b3abb5a.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
If you're interested in converting from PS3 to PCSX2, I have you covered. I converted over 100 saves a few days ago, and can vouch for this method. =)

You'll need to do some Google searching for the following PC-based tools (I can't vouch for how trustworthy/good some of the sites I've seen these on are):

-PSV Exporter v1.1
-PS2 Save Builder v0.8
-mymc

1) On your PS3, transfer your PS2 save onto a USB stick. You should have a .PSV file that you can copy on to your PC.

2) Load up PSV Exporter. Open up your PSV file with it, then select "Extract All Files" from the File option. Select a destination directory to save to; the program will create a folder within this directory named something like "BASLUS-21334Grandia3".

3) Load up PS2 Save Builder. In the Root/ID field, type in the name of the save directory that PSV Exporter created for you exactly as it appears. In this case, we'll use "BASLUS-21334Grandia3" as our example.

Open the save directory, and select all of the files that are there. In my Grandia 3 save, these files were:

BASLUS-21334Grandia3
icon.sys
icon0.ico
save00.dat
save01.dat
save02.dat
save03.dat
save04.dat
save05.dat

Drag and drop all of those files into PS2 Save Builder. Once you've done this, select File, Save As, and type the name of your save. It doesn't matter what you name it this time, but you should select to save as type "X-Port 2 (*.xps)".

4) Load up GUI version of mymc. It will ask you to choose a Memory Card Image to open up. This is the memory card you use in PCSX2, e.g., "Mcd001.ps2". Once open, choose File, Import, and choose your newly created .xps file. You should see the game save name and other info on your PCSX2 memory card. Exit out and you're done!

I haven't tried and don't actually know how to get PCSX2 save files back on to the PS3, but I'm presuming it can be done.

e.g., mymc has an option to export individual game saves as .max (Action Replay Max) files, so if you have one of those for your PS2, you can use that and then use the PS3 transfer tool to get them back.

Thank you!! Gonna start converting saves and playing on my PC!

Stein3x

Is there any way of not using software mode in Onimusha 2 and still avoid seeing characters and objects through solid matter if you use hardware renderer? I know the problem is due to the pre-rendered backgrounds but it's jagged as hell in software mode (even with Edge AA)

Top Bottom