• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Hey guys. I know it's not exactly the same thing but I'm trying to run ePSXe on my Windows 7 machine with a 3770k. I'm having trouble running a game, it looks like it loads up but just hangs on a black screen indefinitely.

I assume it has something to do with which plugin I used?

http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

I just don't know which one I should be using.

Any idea? Thanks.
This is a little old, but it's a decent guide.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps1/enhance-ps1-graphics-with-the-best-epsxe-plugin-settings

benzy

So instead of getting the laptop I built a desktop instead. So much more worth it for running PCSX2.

Specs:

Core i5 4790k
Radeon HD 7850
8gb ddr3

FFX and XII run pretty smoothly at 60fps with 6x Resolution and 16xAF. For DQVIII I have to lower the resolution to 4x for near 60fps otherwise it'll dip to 40fps.

Is there a way to output the screenshots to a normal aspect ratio or do you always have to resize them and stretch them in paint or photoshop? All of my screenshots output to 4:3 ratio even though I'm playing in 16:9.

iRe1oPIflekdU.png

iK1d3ThmNtUHd.png

So instead of getting the laptop I built a desktop instead. So much more worth it for running PCSX2.

Specs:

Core i5 4790k
Radeon HD 7850
8gb ddr3

FFX and XII run pretty smoothly at 60fps with 6x Resolution and 16xAF. For DQVIII I have to lower the resolution to 4x for near 60fps otherwise it'll dip to 40fps.

Is there a way to output the screenshots to a normal aspect ratio or do you always have to resize them and stretch them in paint or photoshop? All of my screenshots output to 4:3 ratio even though I'm playing in 16:9.

iRe1oPIflekdU.png

iK1d3ThmNtUHd.png

GSDX takes the screenshots at the resolution the game is rendered. If you want them to have your output (display) resolution you have to use other screenshot tools. You can use the same that you'd use for PC games, like Fraps.

hateradio

Are PS2 textures harder to overwrite than GC/Wii? I notice that there are UI packs for GC/Wii games, but never for PS2.

benzy

GSDX takes the screenshots at the resolution the game is rendered. If you want them to have your output (display) resolution you have to use other screenshot tools. You can use the same that you'd use for PC games, like Fraps.

Thanks. Guess I'll just resize them in paint.

C0615ax.jpg

So, I am having these ugly lines appearing on the left side of the character / monster models in FFXII. Anyone know why? I don't know what to change in settings to fix it.

Mr.Fox

I would like to just leave a small contribution here and ask for suggestions, I have been trying to run Rogue Galaxy, found a couple of problems, but experimented around and found a solution for some of them.

My Specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits
CPU: AMD FX8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

Emulator configs:
All default, except for Video and sound.

GS: GSdx 0 (MSVC 18.00, SSE41) 0.1.16 [gsdx32-sse4-r5875]
-Renderer: Direct3D9 (Hardware)
-2x Native resolution
-Alpha Correction (FBA) DISABLED (when enabled, causes a video glitch that shows a black box around the characters weapons)

-Everything else on default

SPU2: SPU2-X r5830 2.0.0 [spu2-x-r5875]
-Output Settings:
.Module: XAudio 2
.Synchronizing Mode: Async Mix or None (This minimizes the audio lag that happens when you open the game menu)

-Everything else on default

The remaining problems:
-Small framerate drop that happens every time I press ▲ to open the in-game menu, it drops 10~15frames for a sec, it is specially irritating because it also slows the audio, breaking the music for 1~2 seconds.
-The flashback cutscenes are all visually glitched, you can "solve" it by pressing F9 to switch the renderer mode to "(Software)", it will fix the visual bug but the framerate will drop drastically, the game runs in slow motion here when I do that. So I prefer to run in Hardware mode and only listen to the audio.

hateradio

People make changes/fixes to the code, and those changes are pushed to nightly automated builds.

Stable (official) builds are typically good, but may have a few issues that have been fixed in the nightly builds. However, the nightly builds may have other issues of their own.

KyleCross

Yeah, I can't even run PS2 games on their native settings on my weak ass computer.

CPU: AMD A6-3420M 1.50 GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 4.00 GB

Tried out Persona 3 FES, and although it runs fine, I've noticed that it definitely feels quite sluggish, even though the window says it's running at 60fps. Tried with and without speedhacks, but no luck. Is this just a limitation of the game probably being designed with a lower framerate in mind?

Also it seems to have graphical glitches that go away when you use software mode, but that means a shitty resolution and worse performance.

EDIT: Well, seems like the graphical glitches were due to me accidentally setting it to Direct3D9 instead of 11.

Tried out Persona 3 FES, and although it runs fine, I've noticed that it definitely feels quite sluggish, even though the window says it's running at 60fps. Tried with and without speedhacks, but no luck. Is this just a limitation of the game probably being designed with a lower framerate in mind?

The fps display just indicates if the game hits its desired output refresh rate (60 hz for all NTSC games). If so, the game runs like it would run on a real PS2, so 30 fps games are still rendered in 30 fps (each frame is displayed twice).

Two questions:

1) Is PCSX2 available on Mac? I got Dolphin running no problem on my Macbook Pro and I'm wondering if this is just as simple to set up and run.

2) Do Silent Hill 2,3,and 4 run well on it?

Decided to try Killzone out with my new PC, runs smooth with multithreading enabled, but every time there's a slight slowdown the audio drags massively and I can't get to the end of the first level without it crashing for some reason at random with no warning signs. Any suggestions? While it's nice my new PC can do PS2 emulation at full speed, it's rather annoying having these errors.

KyleCross

So I got a new computer and it seems to be able to hand everything I throw at it fairly well. All things considered, are there some general settings for PCSX2 which most people agree on?

Here's a screenshot I took of Berserk, I just randomly threw some upressing settings on without much knowledge of what I'm doing. Does anyone know how to make the HUD appear in this game btw?

37bb.png

hateradio

Two questions:

1) Is PCSX2 available on Mac? I got Dolphin running no problem on my Macbook Pro and I'm wondering if this is just as simple to set up and run.

2) Do Silent Hill 2,3,and 4 run well on it?
The Mac port is quite old, I don't know if there are active ones, so you may as well try it in Bootcamp.

I think those games are fine, but I don't know about four.

I actually wrote out a big post but while researching that I found this post from the PCSX2 forums that explains things:

Short answer: Emulating game consoles is super difficult. You might think that the SNES can be easily emulated on a 400mhz machine, but those emulators cut a lot of corners. Higan, an emulator that replicates SNES output 1:1, requires at least a dual-core machine to be playable.

It'll be decades before that style of PS2 emulation is possible. Until then, it takes a lot of research and corner-cutting, which takes a lot of time and a lot of effort.

I know this question and response were from last month, but I just saw this thread on the front page so I thought I would chime in. As others have pointed out, emulation is very CPU intensive. Here's a fantastic article from back in 2011 that talks a lot about emulating the SNES and how difficult it actually is to accurately emulate a 22-year-old console on even modern hardware.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/3/

Static Jak

Sorry, but does anyone have any tips for setting up Persona 3 FES? What would I use to get the best picture out of it? Stuff like widescreen and so on.

I've run some games in the past with no issues but it was a while back.

Thanks.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I'm trying to play some Aero Elite: Combat Academy. The game in general is working fine but everytime I try to use a multiplier for the resolution over the native one I get a weird effect on screen every couple of seconds. It's like if the emu can't quite keep the resolution, it flashes back to a lower a resolution for half a second every couple of seconds.

Any ways to fix that??

Edit: ok looks like switching to DX9 solved it.

Red

I just set up PCSX2 on running on a stock A10-5800k and FFXII is running full speed at 1024x768 with FXAA. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have imagined such a cheap system would be able to emulate PS2 so well so soon. The only issue I am having is some shadows aren't rendering properly and look like black squares, and there is a large border on the bottom of the screen during cutscenes (but this may be the space for subtitles?).

Fixed the cutscene bar by forcing widescreen through PCSX2 and enabling widescreen in-game. Now the video output is centered between two black bars at all time, almost an anamorphic kind of thing. I don't know if I prefer this solution, but at least it's consistent.

Do any recent builds add new features or improve performance? I am using the latest stable release.

benzy

Has anyone been able to get Enthusia to run higher than 1200 x 1200 res without getting those vertical lines on the screen? I'd like to run it at least at 4x scale but the vertical lines ruin it.

This guy managed to get the game running fine at a considerably higher resolution but no one knows what his custom GDsx hacks are.

http://youtu.be/HWTcFcGquiE

Has anyone been able to get Enthusia to run higher than 1200 x 1200 res without getting those vertical lines on the screen? I'd like to run it at least at 4x scale but the vertical lines ruin it.

This guy managed to get the game running fine at a considerably higher resolution but no one knows what his custom GDsx hacks are.

http://youtu.be/HWTcFcGquiE

The guy who made that video explained it here but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Dmax3901

So I'm playing God of War II and I'm getting an issue where the cutscene after you break Atlas' chains just fails. It goes to a black screen, I can hear Kratos moving around and attacking if I press square, but otherwise nothing happens.

I managed to get passed that by using the skip mpeg patch but then it gets me to acquiring Atlas' quake, but after I kill all the dudes it fades to black and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ha, fixed it two seconds after posting, nevermind!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Has anyone played Shadow of the Colossus on this recently? Have there been good performance increases? I'm thinking about playing through it again but the PS3 is at my dads house.

So I'm playing God of War II and I'm getting an issue where the cutscene after you break Atlas' chains just fails. It goes to a black screen, I can hear Kratos moving around and attacking if I press square, but otherwise nothing happens.

I managed to get passed that by using the skip mpeg patch but then it gets me to acquiring Atlas' quake, but after I kill all the dudes it fades to black and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ha, fixed it two seconds after posting, nevermind!

You should post how you fixed it. Always useful for anyone who comes upon the same problem and is googling it later.

Has anyone played Shadow of the Colossus on this recently? Have there been good performance increases? I'm thinking about playing through it again but the PS3 is at my dads house.

You should post how you fixed it. Always useful for anyone who comes upon the same problem and is googling it later.

Agreed. A quick post about what you did to fix it would be helpful! I can't count how many times I've had an obscure problem with something and found a someone else who had the same issue but there only reply was "Fixed it myself, thx guys!" and there was no actual solution. Very frustrating!

Dmax3901

Sorry didn't see those replies until now.

Basically I started up the emulator without applying the skip Mpeg patch, then played the climbing section prior to the cutscene and then when it reached the cutscene itself I alt-tabbed and applied the skip Mpeg patch.

This got me to the QTE where you're in between two of Atlas' fingers and have to hammer L1 and R1, you then get Atlas' quake ability and fight some dudes, but then that next cutscene was failing as well

I believe what I did was saved a save state when I was fighting the little dudes, quit the emulator, started it up, made sure mpeg patch was off, loaded God of War II, loaded the save state, killed the little dudes, then when the cutscene started I alt-tabbed and applied the mpeg patch, which worked.

54-46!

What brand of USB adapter should I get for the DualShock 2? is there anything that supports pressure sensitive buttons?

54-46!

A PS3 controller.
No thanks, if I wanted to use any other controller it'd be the DS4 which I already have hooked up.

Btw, is it possible to straight up copy a save from a PS2 Memcard (using uLaunchELF) for use on PCSX2? and then copy it back to the PS2 MC?

54-46!

They all work with pressure sensitivity. Its rare to find a PS2 adapter nowadays but if you have any other DualShock its not necessary.

The DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, and I want to the classic DS feel :)

You might convince me to use the DS3 if there's an alternative to Motioninjoy these days, I know there are separate executable but it seems like they're still using the same driver.

mrlion

The DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, and I want to the classic DS feel :)

You might convince me to use the DS3 if there's an alternative to Motioninjoy these days, I know there are separate executable but it seems like they're still using the same driver.

Really? The DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitivity? I didn't know I thought they all did lol.

And the drivers that I use is the Scarlet Crush drivers its not like MotionInJoy at all instead its based on XInput so most programs think its a 360 controller but pressure sensitivity in PCSX2 is emulated via Lilypad you can adjust each button's pressure sensitivity to your liking.

benzy

The guy who made that video explained it here but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Yeah, it seems no one was interested in it so he didn't bother putting up his settings. I've got the game running in custom res at 1200x1920, which gets rid of the black vertical lines. Game also runs much smoother in dx11 compared to dx9.

cj_iwakura

I tried to run Katamari Damacy on my gf's cpu off the disc and it runs terribly as soon as it gets to the first stage, randomly locking up and saying there's display adapter errors.

I'm using ZeroGS because it's all that works. Should I be trying something different? None of the others ran, period.

I tried to run Katamari Damacy on my gf's cpu off the disc and it runs terribly as soon as it gets to the first stage, randomly locking up and saying there's display adapter errors.

I'm using ZeroGS because it's all that works. Should I be trying something different? None of the others ran, period.

Which CPU and GPU does this PC have? GSdx should be the best option for almost all games, but that might be different if the GPU is really outdated.

Also, always use an image if possible.

Anyone know if either of the Ar tonelico games would run fine on a Surface Pro 3 (256GB SSD/8GB RAM)? The website says both games appear to run fine (marked as "green"). Some minor slowdown would be okay I guess, but I wouldn't want to have the game go to a standstill or something.

Amazon still apparently has third party sellers that sell the console for $120 or so, but I dunno what the quality of the models that would still be out there are.

Also, assuming a wired X360 controller works out-of-the-box with the emulator?

Magnus

I've decided to fire up Final Fantasy XII IZJS again - thank goodness for the amazing work on that English patch.

What's the best build of the emulator to work with for XII?

Tried loading up THPS4 last night. First time using PCSX2 and I was getting average 55 FPS with constant drops. Frame unlocked I would get a maximum of 70 FPS. Before I go in and try to find a fix for this anybody else able to emulate this game with a solid 60?

My rig

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
8GB DDR 3 @ 1333Mhz
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB

Edit: I'm new to emulation outside of 2D games so I'm still figuring a bunch of things out. I see that it's faster if you use an ISO over the disc so maybe ripping the ISO will help.

Edit 2: Also I was running at native res with no enhancements. Sound seems to cut out a lot and is extremely dependent on the framerate.

Top Bottom