• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Small favor to ask, but would anyone with a copy of Sega Superstars (the original Eyetoy one) be able to snap a high quality PNG shot of Sonic's title screen, but without the menu icons:

iFVHJyN0sLmAb.png

Preferably when he's at the closest at the screen like at this instance.

I wouldn't mind it if someone also snapped some shots of Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity and Sonic Unleashed on PS2 as well. :)

Palom

Have you tried changing your VSync settings in the driver's control panel?
Wow, I didn't even think to try that. That helped a lot, thanks.

I tried loading up FF12 again and didn't get the loading frame drop when the tutorial boss used its special attack, but did when I reached the cut-scene at the door at the top of the stairs. I'll have to mess around more and see, but it's typically only noticeable when playing a game for a while, since it seems to only happen at random.

Also, as an aside to anyone, is there a way to force a custom aspect ratio? 4:3 doesn't quite look right to me. The PS3 seems to use about a 6:5 aspect ratio when playing PS2 games, so I'd like to mimic that.

Hi, I've been wondering if my laptop is good enough to run PCSX2, here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
6Gb of Ram
Nvidia GTX 660M

I tried to play Nocturne but the game kept bugging and crashing so I want to know if it's my laptop who can't handle it.

Harro

You're not bothered by that huge lens flare coming out of nowhere? The missing character shadow? (switching to software mode shows how it should look like if it was rendered correctly)

To fix the shadow, you just have to put 1 in skipdraw in the hack options.

Has anyone got this to work with a surface pro 1? I messed with the settings and I get over 30 fps in games and the menus/dialogues feel fast but my character moving feels like he's in molasses. Should I be changing certain settings? I'm trying to play the shin megami games because it said they shouldn't be very intensive for it.

Thanks.

evilalien

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-15%20at%209.39.53%20PM.png

How do I get to the licenses thats not connected to the board??? The ones at the top.

Espers connect most of the lone spots to the main board. Try to give the esper to whichever person gets access to the best stuff from it. The spots directly above your starting position are gambit plus licenses, and I'm guessing you aren't far enough in for those to show up yet.

stn

Can my PC run this? I'd love to be able to use it so that I can preserve my PS2. My specs:

8GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4200 HD, Phenom 2 X4 810 Processor.

paolo11

I really need help. My laptop is a powerful one

i7 4800MQ
Dual 980M GTX SLI
16GB RAM

I installed PCSX 1.2.1 and I could not run my games on 1080p. I did these settings

Adapter GTX 980m
Rendere Direct3d11 Hardware
INterlacing none

scaling 3x native
AF 16x
Enable shade boost
enable fxaa

It's still on low res when playing games like Nocturne or DQ 8. Please help

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Even if it is a powerful laptop they are Mobile components, so they won't be as good as their full-powered ones.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
But the emulator is very CPU heavy. I mean it does depend on the GPU, but if you can't get it to run games at a good speed even at native speeds, it's going to be your CPU.

paolo11

But the emulator is very CPU heavy. I mean it does depend on the GPU, but if you can't get it to run games at a good speed even at native speeds, it's going to be your CPU.

i 74810MQ is a weak CPU? Are you pulling my leg?

Ok, I finally got my games to run to 1080p. Runs really good. :)

i 74810MQ is a weak CPU? Are you pulling my leg?

Ok, I finally got my games to run to 1080p. Runs really good. :)

Yes, even at its full boost it runs 1GHz slower than a properly overclocked desktop quad-core. It might be a nice laptop, but it's still a laptop.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Finally decided to put my computer through its paces. Running MGS3 at internal resolution of 3840x2160.

Internal resolution at 1920x1080.

Woah, when did they fix MGS3?

I've been playing on 360 and it's a great port there, but it would be interesting to check it out again on PCSX2 afterward.

Woah, when did they fix MGS3?

I've been playing on 360 and it's a great port there, but it would be interesting to check it out again on PCSX2 afterward.

Was it broken? I had tried it a year ago, but I chalked it up to my Q6600 being too old as the reason why I couldn't run it. There are a few graphical glitches and post-processing doesn't work, but overall, it runs/looks great so far.

http://www.twitch.tv/tsunami643/b/619421371

I was considering playing the HD collection as well, but I heard it runs at 720p.

Pro

Was checking out Rogue Galaxy and it seems it only runs well at 2x Native Resolution. Any higher and the game severely slows down both audio and speed. Any insight on this? It's a pretty game and I would really like to play it at max resolution.

Pro

Was checking out Rogue Galaxy and it seems it only runs well at 2x Native Resolution. Any higher and the game severely slows down both audio and speed. Any insight on this? It's a pretty game and I would really like to play it at max resolution.

Quoting myself. Answer to this question for anyone interested in Rogue Galaxy is use PCSX2 1.3.0 r5889 and crank up the settings to whatever you like. It will run good.

Harro

Started playing this. Can you share your configs? I have settings cranked way up but it seems like there is still aliasing (around sword edge). Plus your colors look a lot warmer.

ihxn8pZgWfEDi.png

What internal resolution did you use? Try incrase this, it should remove aliasing without any anti aliasing option.

And for the colors, you can adjust the Shade Boost Option

1367156427-shade-boost-on-off.png

All righty guys, questions for you. I have 3 computers at my disposal to try this on, and they're all running on "meh" specs. Which of these do you think will do the best with the emulator:

Desktop
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core 2.80 GHz
Geforce GT640 1GB

Asus Laptop
Core 2 Duo P7450 (2.13GHz)
GeForce GTX 260M

Acer Laptop
AMD A10-5757M 2.5GHz
AMD Radeon HD 8650G

Will any of them work? Don't want to waste my time if it's going to take some mad configuring for each game to make them playable.

Pro

What internal resolution did you use? Try incrase this, it should remove aliasing without any anti aliasing option.

And for the colors, you can adjust the Shade Boost Option

1367156427-shade-boost-on-off.png

Thanks for the tips. I was using a custom internal resolution of 2720 x 1700 so it should be plenty high enough to remove any AA. But I do have the aliasing button checked in the emulator. Maybe I need to have that turned off if I'm already rendering at a high resolution. I'll have to try the shade boost option as well.

Iorv3th

Quoting myself. Answer to this question for anyone interested in Rogue Galaxy is use PCSX2 1.3.0 r5889 and crank up the settings to whatever you like. It will run good.

Where do I find that build? Not finding it on their site even under development builds. Unless i'm looking wrong.

edit: NM just got the latest dev build.

Pro

Thanks for the pointers all. Think I've got it good enough to my liking. Configs are posted. Using 4x Native rather than a Custom Resolution is what allows the anti aliasing to actually take effect. If I try 5x Native or even add in 2x MSAA I drop to 50fps which is actually pretty noticeable in this game. So I'll keep it here for 60fps. Saturation may be a tad high but I like bright, vibrant colors.

Rogue Galaxy Configs - PCSX2 1.3.0 r5889

ibtmbjNHWgnj1b.PNG
iZwQtxodeRRLx.PNG

imE53SlZw1Nnt.png

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Thanks for the pointers all. Think I've got it good enough to my liking. Configs are posted. Using 4x Native rather than a Custom Resolution is what allows the anti aliasing to actually take effect. If I try 5x Native or even add in 2x MSAA I drop to 50fps which is actually pretty noticeable in this game. So I'll keep it here for 60fps. Saturation may be a tad high but I like bright, vibrant colors.

Is there a way to "tag" a post for future reference? I don't want to be that guy that posts "tagged for future" even though I kind of am right now.

Rufus

Is there a way to "tag" a post for future reference? I don't want to be that guy that posts "tagged for future" even though I kind of am right now.
Bookmark it using its ID number in the top right corner. It's a link that leads straight to a post, and only loads the post itself.

Harro

Rogue Galaxy Configs - PCSX2 1.3.0 r5889

ibtmbjNHWgnj1b.PNG
iZwQtxodeRRLx.PNG

imE53SlZw1Nnt.png

Yes the custom resolution was the problem I think.
I don't think you need HW hack for this game.
And most of all, apply the widesreen hack for this game, it is much better, really.
I see you activated the FX shader but did you modify something in GSdx_FX_Settings.ini? if not, this option is useless.

Here is a screenshot I just made with widescreen hack, and some tweak in the ini shader

1423255304-pcsx2-2015-02-06-21-40-28-31.png

All righty guys, questions for you. I have 3 computers at my disposal to try this on, and they're all running on "meh" specs. Which of these do you think will do the best with the emulator:

Desktop
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core 2.80 GHz
Geforce GT640 1GB

Asus Laptop
Core 2 Duo P7450 (2.13GHz)
GeForce GTX 260M

Acer Laptop
AMD A10-5757M 2.5GHz
AMD Radeon HD 8650G

Will any of them work? Don't want to waste my time if it's going to take some mad configuring for each game to make them playable.

I think its worth a try on the desktop. But my guess is only the most compatible and light weight games will run decently. I'd stick to 2d games and also the persona games run very well, but if you were looking to run MGS 3 or Shadow of the Colossus i'd recommend a new cpu overclocked to 4.0 ghz or more.

I've been trying to run some of my games on this lately because my PS2 is in closet and I didn't wanna worry about hooking it up. While they can look nice, I have been thrilled with some of the performance. Dolphin runs games so much better, but the slowdown, and weird issues with textures or vertical lines in some games is so frustrating, and hard to figure out.

I realize I have to tweak the settings, but remembering everything for each game is just such a hassle.

Pro

Yes the custom resolution was the problem I think.
I don't think you need HW hack for this game.
And most of all, apply the widesreen hack for this game, it is much better, really.
I see you activated the FX shader but did you modify something in GSdx_FX_Settings.ini? if not, this option is useless.

Here is a screenshot I just made with widescreen hack, and some tweak in the ini shader

1423255304-pcsx2-2015-02-06-21-40-28-31.png

Yeah I'm sure i have unnecessary items activated such as the FX Shader and the HW Hack, but it doesn't hurt anything. I don't have any experience modifying the GSdx_FX_Settings.ini file. Also yes I definitely have the widescreen hack applied. Never play without it!

Could you explain the .ini file and what settings you use? Example?

Harro

I've been trying to run some of my games on this lately because my PS2 is in closet and I didn't wanna worry about hooking it up. While they can look nice, I have been thrilled with some of the performance. Dolphin runs games so much better, but the slowdown, and weird issues with textures or vertical lines in some games is so frustrating, and hard to figure out.

I realize I have to tweak the settings, but remembering everything for each game is just such a hassle.

There are frontends that allow you to memorise specific setting for each game. Configure one time a game and when you launch it, the profile for this game is loaded.

http://pcsx2.net/download/viewcategory/43-frontends.html

Yeah I'm sure i have unnecessary items activated such as the FX Shader and the HW Hack, but it doesn't hurt anything. I don't have any experience modifying the GSdx_FX_Settings.ini file. Also yes I definitely have the widescreen hack applied. Never play without it!

Could you explain the .ini file and what settings you use? Example?

Really, widescreenhack is applied in your screenshot? Jester seems to be stretched. ok

Sorry I m not on my PC now, but you just have to activate FX shader in the option (like you already do), open the ini inside the shader folder and tweak it. Here, tonemap, bilinear filtering, and some other option, I don't remember sorry. Switch on/Off with HOME button ingame. You have to reset the game to apply each new modification.

Terra

So, a question.

Do you think an i7 960 with a GTX 980 would be enough to run FF12 totally hassle free?
Or is that processor too old?
Asking as I rather won't dig out my old stuff until I know for sure :).

So, a question.

Do you think an i7 960 with a GTX 980 would be enough to run FF12 totally hassle free?
Depends on the emulator's backend stuff. I'd say it should, just out of sheer power, but the PCSX2 still runs Ratchet & Clank games like hot garbage, so who knows until you try it.

There are frontends that allow you to memorise specific setting for each game. Configure one time a game and when you launch it, the profile for this game is loaded.

http://pcsx2.net/download/viewcategory/43-frontends.html

That's very cool, and thanks for that. My problem still kinda is I'm not sure how to get the best performance out of each game. I look up configurations for games sometimes, and still get weird shit, like vertical lines that I can't find answers for, or just shitty frame rate.

Alric

So, a question.

I ran it on a 580 GTX a few years back at 3 or 4 x resolution and it was just fine. You shouldn't have any issues.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Was it broken? I had tried it a year ago, but I chalked it up to my Q6600 being too old as the reason why I couldn't run it. There are a few graphical glitches and post-processing doesn't work, but overall, it runs/looks great so far.

http://www.twitch.tv/tsunami643/b/619421371

I was considering playing the HD collection as well, but I heard it runs at 720p.

HD collection is 720p60, emulated is (any resolution)variable 30fps.

And the post processing was my main issue. The forest looked really rotten, and it totally took me out of the game.

Terra

FFXII is one of the less demanding/more optimized games. According to this: http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Final_Fantasy_XII, you should be just fine.

I ran it on a 580 GTX a few years back at 3 or 4 x resolution and it was just fine. You shouldn't have any issues.

Great. Will give it a try today!
Looking forward to it, and my i7 960 will be put to the test...

I might return if I need some help on the way.

EDIT: It seems to run fine just from the get go. I have no idea how to tinker around with the settings and plugins but I guess DirectX11 is the way to go? What is the best graphics plugin and settings?

Terra

FFXII works perfect on my i7 960! Who would have thought.
Even in a crowded place like Rabanastre! :)

Will there be more stuff later on in the game that can cause me slowdowns? Like battle effects and stuff?

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
FFXII works perfect on my i7 960! Who would have thought.
Even in a crowded place like Rabanastre! :)

Will there be more stuff later on in the game that can cause me slowdowns? Like battle effects and stuff?

You will be fine, I grantee. As others already said, it's one of the more optimized/least demanding games on pcsx2

Terra

You will be fine, I grantee. As others already said, it's one of the more optimized/least demanding games on pcsx2

So great! I bought this game back in the PS2's heydays. But life came around and I never got to experience it.
The game went to storage along with my PS2.

I have never made it past the first quest. I am so excited that this runs on my PC now!

_Ryo_

So any configurations that anyone can share for truly low end computers/laptops? Like maybe 4GB ram, intel 128-256mb ram.. Not looking to play in HD or anything, or achieve an amazing framerate. I can run psp and dreamcast games at 60fps on standard resolution and x2 render resolution. Would 480p work? I am using Linux Mint 17, if that helps.

So any configurations that anyone can share for truly low end computers/laptops? Like maybe 4GB ram, intel 128-256mb ram.. Not looking to play in HD or anything, or achieve an amazing framerate. I can run psp and dreamcast games at 60fps on standard resolution and x2 render resolution. Would 480p work? I am using Linux Mint 17, if that helps.
I dunno if you can do much with something like that. I can't even get PS2 games to run at normal frame rates with a Core 2 Duo & 4GB of RAM.

Terra

No idea. I don't think that PCSX2 is at all that optimized yet.
My i7 960, 16gb ram seems like a minimum for comfortable gaming without too much hassle.

Top Bottom