• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
feh, turned some nobs and cranked some dials and haven't been able to get VF4EVO to not run at half speed. oh well. no other game I've tried has given me trouble.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anybody on iMacs here running this? How intense do the specs have to be? I just got another iMac, though it's a base 21.5" iMac:

1.4Ghz Intel I5
8GB DDR
Intel HD 5000 1536MB

I only use my Macs for work, which is why I purchase base models, but I still figured I'd ask the question.

evilalien

Anybody on iMacs here running this? How intense do the specs have to be? I just got another iMac, though it's a base 21.5" iMac:

1.4Ghz Intel I5
8GB DDR
Intel HD 5000 1536MB

I only use my Macs for work, which is why I purchase base models, but I still figured I'd ask the question.

That CPU speed seems rather low to me, did you mistype it or maybe you are looking at its clocked down power conservation state? If it is actually a 1.4Ghz i5 I imagine you are going to have trouble with some of the more demanding games. I occasionally run into problems with my i5-3570k @ 4.3Ghz.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That CPU speed seems rather low to me, did you mistype it or maybe you are looking at its clocked down power conservation state? If it is actually a 1.4Ghz i5 I imagine you are going to have trouble with some of the more demanding games. I occasionally run into problems with my i5-3570k @ 4.3Ghz.

Ah, it looks like you're right. It's a dual core, and the base speed is 1.4Ghz. But it goes up to 2.7Ghz.

I'm currently emulating Grandia III. Everything's perfect but the movies. There's annoying, blinking artifacts at the top and bottom of movies. I've tried everything but can't seem to find what's wrong with my config. Any help?

EvB

The DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, and I want to the classic DS feel :)

You might convince me to use the DS3 if there's an alternative to Motioninjoy these days, I know there are separate executable but it seems like they're still using the same driver.

There are so few games that actually support it that it's not really worth worrying about

I'm currently emulating Grandia III. Everything's perfect but the movies. There's annoying, blinking artifacts at the top and bottom of movies. I've tried everything but can't seem to find what's wrong with my config. Any help?

If you are using dx9 or dx11 in hardware mode cutscenes in some games will have problems. You either have to switch manually to software mode using F9 or there is a game fix under emulation settings that switches automatically to software when FMV's play.

ViolentP

Is the OP up to date? Really, all I want is to replay DQVIII. I mean let's be serious, that replay is the only real reason I am still into gaming.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Is the OP up to date? Really, all I want is to replay DQVIII. I mean let's be serious, that replay is the only real reason I am still into gaming.

Yeah DQ8 is playable, I been playing it on the older version of PCSX2. Just a few graphic glitches but I can get a solid 60FPS.

bomblord1

Banned
You guys should drop some of those gorgeous screens in the emulator screenshot thread ;)

Also, I have PCSX2 installed but recently lost a lot of documents in a formatting accident (including my documents folder) I no longer have the bios for the system is there a simple way to dump them from a slim PS2?

If you are using dx9 or dx11 in hardware mode cutscenes in some games will have problems. You either have to switch manually to software mode using F9 or there is a game fix under emulation settings that switches automatically to software when FMV's play.

Ah, i see. F9 it is then, thanks!

Hmm, I'm trying to play Xenosaga 1 on my Sager gaming laptop and there seems to be some audio issues with the game.

The audio issues happen just before and after combat, entering and exiting the menu, and entering and exiting the in-game save menu at the save points.

Anyone here know what might cause it? Would GPU hardware acceleration cause this audio desync or glitch?

Hmm, I'm trying to play Xenosaga 1 on my Sager gaming laptop and there seems to be some audio issues with the game.

The audio issues happen just before and after combat, entering and exiting the menu, and entering and exiting the in-game save menu at the save points.

Anyone here know what might cause it? Would GPU hardware acceleration cause this audio desync or glitch?

Hmm not really sure but you could try changing the pcsx2 audio plugin settings by changing the synchronizing mode from Timestretch to Async MIx it might fix the problem.

benzy

Is there a guide to implementing custom GSDx plugins for a game?

I just downloaded a custom dll for Enthusia from the site below which is supposed to fix the vertical lines at high res, but I still get the lines showing up. I'm not sure which folders I'm supposed to drag all of the files into.

http://www.tocaedit.com/

Is there a guide to implementing custom GSDx plugins for a game?

I just downloaded a custom dll for Enthusia from the site below which is supposed to fix the vertical lines at high res, but I still get the lines showing up. I'm not sure which folders I'm supposed to drag all of the files into.

http://www.tocaedit.com/

You need to put the GSdx32-AVX-enthusia.dll into the plugin's folder. After that open up pcsx2 and go to config>plugin/bios Selector and under GS select the plugin that says enthusia.

benzy

You need to put the GSdx32-AVX-enthusia.dll into the plugin's folder. After that open up pcsx2 and go to config>plugin/bios Selector and under GS select the plugin that says enthusia.

I tried that earlier and PCSX2 keeps shutting down on me whenever I boot the game, so I thought I wasn't doing it right. I'm on pcsx2 v. 1.3.0. Any ideas? The Enthusia RAR also contains a GSDx folder with a bunch of files in it, do we not need those?

benzy

I think the readme says you have to us pcsx2 v. 1.0 or 1.2

I got it to work, had to change the renderer from 3D11 to 3D9. Thanks for the help though. :)

mobpuy.png

hszpco.png

zhvljh.png

gelf

feh, turned some nobs and cranked some dials and haven't been able to get VF4EVO to not run at half speed. oh well. no other game I've tried has given me trouble.

I've never been able to get VF4:Evo to work satisfactory either, I've been trying for years. Every so often I'll download a new version of the emulator to see if things are any better but there's always slowdown issues on certain stages and unstable framerate no matter how basic the settings I use. Its one of the only PS2 games I really want to emulate too.

KyleCross

Seems I'm stuck with 2x native resolution, if I do 3x or 1080p it'a generally fine but will occasionally suffer fleeting moments of slowdown.

Intel i5-4430 3.0GHz
8GB Ram
GeForce GTX 645
Windows 7

Much else I can do?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Much else I can do?
I think it would depend on the game.

I was using an i5-2500k to test some games, and they ran fine at 3x.

I think you can enable some speed hacks, too, but that varies as well.

dang, i'll probably just use my ps2->usb converter i have somewhere in the house then.
It's actually quite easy to use the SCP driver. If you have the right Bluetooth dongle, you can even use it wirelessly.

Awesome thread. Been working to try and get Dragon Ball Z: Bufokai Tenkaichi 2 to work just right. The main issue I am having is the cutscenes are dropping down to about 20fps. The battles are 50-60fps sometimes dropping to 40 when some stuff is getting destroyed. Looks amazing though. Using just 3x scaling no less. My comp just isn't potent enough to really crank everything up from what I've seen so far.

Playing Tenkaichi 2 reminds me how it is the pinnacle of outstanding DBZ fighter design. Like it even more then Tenkaichi 3 since the battles don't have those cinematic moments happening all the time. Just ultimate attacks really causing that sort of thing to occur but those can be evaded / cancelled with various attacks. Great game! LOVE it.

iy3GQ2bnRdzHn.png

Thats how I got it looking so far. 4x Scaling atm with DX11 Hardware running. Nothing else currently running. Got the City sections running at 45-50fps instead of the 20 from before. Seems a bit more stable even with higher scaling and DX11 running. Seems DX11 actually smoothed it out a bunch.

BossRush

Silent hill 2 is running perpetually at 30 fps or less with stuttering for the voice acting. I don't know how to make it run faster. here are my specs.
a2e4a825edfaf7b7f2955ce034f3ed08.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Awesome thread. Been working to try and get Dragon Ball Z: Bufokai Tenkaichi 2 to work just right. The main issue I am having is the cutscenes are dropping down to about 20fps. The battles are 50-60fps sometimes dropping to 40 when some stuff is getting destroyed. Looks amazing though. Using just 3x scaling no less. My comp just isn't potent enough to really crank everything up from what I've seen so far.

Playing Tenkaichi 2 reminds me how it is the pinnacle of outstanding DBZ fighter design. Like it even more then Tenkaichi 3 since the battles don't have those cinematic moments happening all the time. Just ultimate attacks really causing that sort of thing to occur but those can be evaded / cancelled with various attacks. Great game! LOVE it.

iy3GQ2bnRdzHn.png

Thats how I got it looking so far. 4x Scaling atm with DX11 Hardware running. Nothing else currently running. Got the City sections running at 45-50fps instead of the 20 from before. Seems a bit more stable even with higher scaling and DX11 running. Seems DX11 actually smoothed it out a bunch.

As a heads up, that shot is super stretched.

Question: I have a pretty great PC for this (2500k @ 4.7ghz, 7970) and have never played FFX. Would I be better off buying a PS2 version and emulating than playing the HD remaster for PS3? From the FF12 screenshots, it looks like I would be better off emulating, but I don't know if FFX would be the same.

Silent hill 2 is running perpetually at 30 fps or less with stuttering for the voice acting. I don't know how to make it run faster. here are my specs.
a2e4a825edfaf7b7f2955ce034f3ed08.png

You can try enabling more speed hacks (config/emulation settings/speedhacks). Your PC is pretty slow though, most games should have slowdowns.

Question: I have a pretty great PC for this (2500k @ 4.7ghz, 7970) and have never played FFX. Would I be better off buying a PS2 version and emulating than playing the HD remaster for PS3? From the FF12 screenshots, it looks like I would be better off emulating, but I don't know if FFX would be the same.

The HD remaster has some improved textures, model detail, sound, native 16:9 and the like (some are not happy with stuff like Tidus' new face though). You won't get that in PCSX2. Advantages would be the use of higher resolutions or fast-forwarding cutscenes.

AAAWWWW YEA!!!!!!

Got this badboy up and running with FF12 zodiac version wiht the english patch, had to change some of the buttons around, like that HELLA confusing, ass backwards camera control, and the circle button being the confirm. Now we're good to go.

This is my second favorite final fantasy. It's great to get back into this game after such a long time without.

SparkTR

Does this emulate the poor performance of games? I'm playing Liberty City Stories and it's not the best running game, but it's also not emulation slowdown (with that strange slow audio). I've heard the PS2 port for that game was shit, and I'm wondering if it's just that.

I hadn't touched the program in years but I just gave Persona 3 FES a spin, and man, it works great. Persona itself I'm going to bail out on in favor of the PSP/Vita port but I need to try out some other games with this. Maybe scratch that SSX itch...

AAAWWWW YEA!!!!!!

Got this badboy up and running with FF12 zodiac version wiht the english patch, had to change some of the buttons around, like that HELLA confusing, ass backwards camera control, and the circle button being the confirm. Now we're good to go.

This is my second favorite final fantasy. It's great to get back into this game after such a long time without.
Dammit, I just might have to do this. I HATED the default camera control when playing on my PS3. Also have wanted to play Zodiac version and never even beat the normal game, got stuck on some earth dragon boss or something can't really remember...I think I will do this.

My system :

Radeon 6770 1GB GDDR5 @ 950Mhz
I-5 2400 @ 3.9Ghz Quad core
8GB DDR3 RAM
24x CD/DVD drive

Xenosaga Episode 1
3x Scaling
DirectX11 Hardware mode
AF x16

iljlhYssOxe2G.png

Running full speed without any issues so far. Theres something up with my emulator and audio where, say if I use a brand new spell thats never been used before, it will slow down for a moment and the audio will slow to a crawl for about a second and then it rushes to catch up with the on screen action and then from then on using the same spell or whatever will be fine.

I'm constantly amazed with what I'm seeing out of this emulator. Its fantastic. A lot of the graphical techniques used back then translate incredibly well to scaling and AF. DQVIII is just phenomenal

ixROiBlOaDtoi.png

The battles in particular look fantastic. The games will start to falter in FPS if I use AA. DQVIII in towns will slow down to about 45fps if I use any kind of AA.

Palom

I have a couple speed-related questions.

First, do most people play with Vsync off? I can only get 60 fps using the OpenGL plugin if I turn Vsync on. Using the D3D plugins, I only get about 45-53 fps. I'm using an i5-4670k @ 4.2GHz with a GTX 760 and Windows 8.1. With OpenGL, I can run Tales of the Abyss at 6x internal resolution and all of the speedhacks off and still maintain 60 fps. But with D3D, I get about 53 fps using native resolution and all of the speedhacks turned on. If I turn off Vsync, D3D runs full speed just fine, but screen tearing is pretty noticeable.

Second, I seem to have an issue with games accessing data causing slow down. For example, when entering a battle in Tales of the Abyss, I'll get about one second of slowdown and the audio kind of "stretches" while the game loads the battle data. This doesn't happen all the time, though. Some times it happens when a character uses their mystic arte in battle, and other times it can happen in the middle of a long cut-scene. In Final Fantasy XII, it does it during the tutorial boss fight at the beginning of the game, when the game loads its special attacks. In other games, it can happen while accessing the memory card. Playing Mana Khemia 2, I get a drop to 56 fps right after it loads my save data, then it goes up and stays at 60. If, after that, I load my game from the save point, it stays at 60 fps during the whole load process. Is this just normal behavior, or am I missing a setting somewhere? I've tried enabling and disabling all the recommended speedhacks, but I see no difference.I tried playing ISOs from my SSD, which seemed to help a little bit, but the problem still persists.

I'm constantly amazed with what I'm seeing out of this emulator. Its fantastic. A lot of the graphical techniques used back then translate incredibly well to scaling and AF. DQVIII is just phenomenal

ixROiBlOaDtoi.png

You're not bothered by that huge lens flare coming out of nowhere? The missing character shadow? (switching to software mode shows how it should look like if it was rendered correctly)

I have a couple speed-related questions.

First, do most people play with Vsync off? I can only get 60 fps using the OpenGL plugin if I turn Vsync on. Using the D3D plugins, I only get about 45-53 fps. I'm using an i5-4670k @ 4.2GHz with a GTX 760 and Windows 8.1. With OpenGL, I can run Tales of the Abyss at 6x internal resolution and all of the speedhacks off and still maintain 60 fps. But with D3D, I get about 53 fps using native resolution and all of the speedhacks turned on. If I turn off Vsync, D3D runs full speed just fine, but screen tearing is pretty noticeable.

Have you tried changing your VSync settings in the driver's control panel?

Second, I seem to have an issue with games accessing data causing slow down. For example, when entering a battle in Tales of the Abyss, I'll get about one second of slowdown and the audio kind of "stretches" while the game loads the battle data. This doesn't happen all the time, though. Some times it happens when a character uses their mystic arte in battle, and other times it can happen in the middle of a long cut-scene. In Final Fantasy XII, it does it during the tutorial boss fight at the beginning of the game, when the game loads its special attacks. In other games, it can happen while accessing the memory card. Playing Mana Khemia 2, I get a drop to 56 fps right after it loads my save data, then it goes up and stays at 60. If, after that, I load my game from the save point, it stays at 60 fps during the whole load process. Is this just normal behavior, or am I missing a setting somewhere? I've tried enabling and disabling all the recommended speedhacks, but I see no difference.I tried playing ISOs from my SSD, which seemed to help a little bit, but the problem still persists.

I guess it can be normal depending on the game. However, I don't seem to have that issue in FF12. I guess it is the same in software mode?

Top Bottom