• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 cannot connect to network at all, anyone had this before?

SumGamer

So my PS3 is about 3 years old and it worked perfectly fine up until recently.
I know about YLOD but this is not one of them.

Right now I can use my PS3 normally except connecting to network. Wireless or LAN, same result. I checked my router and it doesn't detect anything on the LAN LED status. Using wireless only to not be able to find any AP, and my PS3 is like two feet away from the router.

This happened when I was still running 3.41 for around a month, I think. I took my PS3 to my friend's place and still getting the same problem, so I pinpoint it the PS3 problem. I updated 3.42 yesterday and that doesn't fix it. Anybody know what is causing the problem and/or how to fix it?

Sending it to Sony is not an option for me. I bought this when I was in Singapore and now I'm in Thailand. A friend sent his PS3 to Sony Singapore last year and never hear from it ever since.

On the side note, I got a 360 a while back with same problem with LAN port stop working only a little over a month after I bought it. Is there some sort of setup I should be aware of? My router works fine though, been using this one for a long time.

SumGamer

GavinGT said:
It's very rare that a LAN port would just stop working. If that's really the case though, the 360 should give you a secondary error code indicating this (http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-codes.htm).

Barring that, I would check whether your router has mac address filtering enabled. I struggled with this for hours once, only to remember I hadn't added the console to my "allowed" list.

Not juest LAN port but Wireless too. So I think some sort of Network module inside the PS3 is now dead. I would check Mac address filtering only if my PS3 can see access point, but no luck :(

expy

Banned
Really weird how both the Ethernet port and the Wireless both don't connect, they're separate devices. There might be something else preventing you from connecting, I doubt both of them died at the same time.

I actually had the exact same problem with my old 60 gig PS3. It didn't seem to detect the network at all. I thought I was fucked. But the next day, for some reason, everything worked fine again. Hopefully you have the same luck.

SumGamer

mr_nothin said:
It happened to 1 of my PS3's (PS3 FAT) and it turned out to be and overheating issue....

Is it temporary? Because my PS3 (40GB FAT) fan is running so loud for a month or two before this happened.

GavinGT

Banned
expy said:
Really weird how both the Ethernet port and the Wireless both don't connect, they're separate devices. There might be something else preventing you from connecting, I doubt both of them died at the same time.

Exactly. It's gotta be a router issue. If you're totally unsure of how to proceed, maybe take out a safety pin and hold that reset button on your router for 30 seconds. Hopefully that will clear whatever bogus setting is keeping it from connecting.

Luigiv

That's weird. My PS3's WiFi connection craps out on me all the time (my access point doesn't seem to like it much) but I've never heard of both the Ethernet and WiFi crapping out simultaneously. Sounds like some sort of software problem to me.

mr_nothin

Banned
SumGamer said:
Is it temporary? Because my PS3 (40GB FAT) fan is running so loud for a month or two before this happened.
It works when it wants to work basically. Try this:
Let the PS3 stay off and cool down for a while and then upon your next bootup, hurry up and try to see if it'll connect to your router via ethernet. It'll probably connect for a shot period and then crap out but just do it so we can see if it's heat related. I'm guessing it is since those are the same symptoms I had and you said your PS3 has been really loud for the past month or so...

Your PS3 shouldn't be loud. I know 1 person that had a loud PS3, and that's because he smoked inside his house. The cigarette ash killed his PS3. If you won't send the PS3 in, open it and clean it, though I always prefer sending in the product unless it's too old.

SumGamer

GavinGT said:
Exactly. It's gotta be a router issue. If you're totally unsure of how to proceed, maybe take out a safety pin and hold that reset button on your router for 30 seconds. Hopefully that will clear whatever bogus setting is keeping it from connecting.

But I was trying to connect to at least 3 routers :S, I dont think that's the problem. But I think it's kinda weird as well. Especially when considering that my 360 used to have the same problem, before I sold it.

mr_nothin said:
It works when it wants to work basically. Try this:
Let the PS3 stay off and cool down for a while and then upon your next bootup, hurry up and try to see if it'll connect to your router via ethernet. It'll probably connect for a shot period and then crap out but just do it so we can see if it's heat related. I'm guessing it is since those are the same symptoms I had and you said your PS3 has been really loud for the past month or so...

Tried that already but no luck :(. It works beautifully last time I turn it off though, no freeze or unexpected shutdown.

phosphor112 said:
Your PS3 shouldn't be loud. I know 1 person that had a loud PS3, and that's because he smoked inside his house. The cigarette ash killed his PS3. If you won't send the PS3 in, open it and clean it, though I always prefer sending in the product unless it's too old.

It wasn't before but the last couple of months was quite a noise that I have to shut it down and let it cool down.

Maybe I should mention that, I sent it to a local technician I know who fix game consoles for a living. He checked everything, even replace the motherboard (I understand that the whole network HW is on that MB as well), he couldn't get it to work either.

The last refurb Sony sent me, the same 60 gig that I had a similar, though temporary problem, was loud as fuck. And it was always loud. So I got rid of it and bought a slim. And I never smoke in the house.

I had a similar problem when I took my PS3 to Florida with me last month, where it refused to connect to the network that everything else was already connected to. However, I had a very easy (and overlooked for a few hours while I tried to troubleshoot the PS3) solution : restart the router + modem. Once it booted back up, the PS3 connected successfully. I know it's a simple and possibly farfetched solution, but it worked for me...

Top Bottom