• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 can't connect via ethernet switch?

Quick question , I have my PC and 360 on a switch and it works fine. The PS3 won't work with the switch? With the 360 all I needed to do was manually input the MAC address, the PS3 won't let me do this. Has anybody tried this and got it to work ?

To be honest I probably won't go out and get a router just to suit the PS3 for the situation I am in now.

test_account

XP-39C²
I use a switch (or at least i am pretty sure that it is a switch, it could maybe be a hub instead) that my PS3 and my PC is connected to and it works fine for me :) This is a pretty basic and cheap switch though, it just has 4 ports (or 5, since one port is used for the "ethernet internet cable") and a place where to put the power adapter in. I can change any settings or anything on this switch. How is your switch?

EDIT: I didnt have to manually input my MAC adress on my PS3 by the way, at least not from what i can remember.

JPT

A switch is just a switch so I guess that is not your problem, then again having to input a mac address to get something working is not quite logical for a normal switched ethernet lan either.

Could you explain a bit more about your setup, does your PC and X360 connect directly to the internet throught the switch, ie without a router? If so does your PC/X360 get global ip's ie not 192.168.1.x or 172.16.x.y or 10.x.y.z?

Is it the internet you want to access? Or is just for LAN connection? Maybe you don't have a DHCP server on your LAN and need to manually configure an ip address?

Burger

You'll need some sort of router on your network. You can't just have a switch plugged into a cable modem and expect multiple devices to function, the cable modem (or dsl modem) only has one IP address to hand out.

I have Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Bridge in between my ISP and my PS3, so I doubt that a vanilla switch is the issue.

It's something I had, it's a 5 port 10/100 ethernet switch. The PC is plugged into it and the 360 took 5 min to get up and running on it, the 360 gave me the option to input the MAC during config. and as soon as I did Live was up and running.

I didn't think it odd the PS3 needs it's own ip address I thought it odd the 360 actually worked with it. I take it I will obviously need a router from what you guys have already stated.

If I input everything manually during PS3 setup it will manage to find the IP Address but then go to a DNS error.

Edit - I am surprised that the 360 works with the switch as intended as I am running Live and using my internet connection to talk to you people at the same time, without any visible/noticable slowdown.

Im having problems with my router too.

I have a PS3 and PC connected to a D-link router, I tried to reserve the PC and portforward the right stuff but it didnt turn out well. I took off the reserve and just ran auto on the Router but I have to reset it every morning cause it always screws up.

If someone is willing to help me step by step setup a static IP, I will love you for life :)

Sorry for the hijack *runs*.

Gbeav

Banned
Check with your ISP, some limit the number of connects per tier you are on. You are at 3 and you could be at the max, phone them.

User2k

Anerythristic said:
It's something I had, it's a 5 port 10/100 ethernet switch. The PC is plugged into it and the 360 took 5 min to get up and running on it, the 360 gave me the option to input the MAC during config. and as soon as I did Live was up and running.

I didn't think it odd the PS3 needs it's own ip address I thought it odd the 360 actually worked with it. I take it I will obviously need a router from what you guys have already stated.

If I input everything manually during PS3 setup it will manage to find the IP Address but then go to a DNS error.

Edit - I am surprised that the 360 works with the switch as intended as I am running Live and using my internet connection to talk to you people at the same time, without any visible/noticable slowdown.

I don't understand why this is surprising?
Why do you need to manually set up your MAC address manually?
I have a single external IP address split that is sometimes split in to 8 internal addresses on 8 different devices.

Anyways, I've connect PS3s using switches quite literally hundreds of times without issue. Something is funky.

User2k

Lion Heart said:
Im having problems with my router too.

I have a PS3 and PC connected to a D-link router, I tried to reserve the PC and portforward the right stuff but it didnt turn out well. I took off the reserve and just ran auto on the Router but I have to reset it every morning cause it always screws up.

If someone is willing to help me step by step setup a static IP, I will love you for life :)

Sorry for the hijack *runs*.

Static IP is tied to the PC, not the router. You just have to set it up so its in the router's range. What OS are you using?

User2k said:
Static IP is tied to the PC, not the router. You just have to set it up so its in the router's range. What OS are you using?

Im really ignorant in these things. Im using XP though.

I have my modem in bridged mode, not Routed (DHCP off). Should the modem be in routed mode?

tok

Neo Member
Have a Netgear router which feeds my computer room. One port of that feeds a switch for a computer out in the living room and the PS3. Never had an issue.

test_account

XP-39C²
Burger said:
You'll need some sort of router on your network. You can't just have a switch plugged into a cable modem and expect multiple devices to function, the cable modem (or dsl modem) only has one IP address to hand out.

I have Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Bridge in between my ISP and my PS3, so I doubt that a vanilla switch is the issue.
Ah yes, that is a good point :) I forgot to mention that i have 2 static IPs (1 for the PC and one for the PS3), i guess that is why it works fine for me just to have a switch and to be able to be online with the PC and the PS3 at the same time without having to use a router.

Durante

As others said, your setup seems a bit strange. Why would you ever need to manually input ethernet addresses because of a switch. For the record, my PC, 360 and PS3 (and printer) are connected to a switch, which is connected to a router, which is connected to a cable modem. And none of it ever required any additional configuration (obviously because the router hands out DHCP information).

Top Bottom