• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Controller to be Wii-a-booed? - Sony invented the Motion detector

Sony will unveil their new PS3 controller at E3 and it will look like this:
5676556A62UC114199M.jpg

While the exterior is identical to the PS1/2 Dualshock, it's interior will be dramatically different:
norumble.jpg

No rumble motors based on patents copied from Immersion.

/end thread

kaching said:
They wouldn't have to go so far as that, just a unique pattern on the front of the controller that Eyetoy is programmed to recognize. I'm not sure that the goal would be something to track in 3d space, but just a reliable pattern for simple gestures - tilt, pitch, etc.

you would have to have multiple eyetoy cameras to track it in 3D space, a single camera can only truly track in 2-D space up and down left and right it wouldnt really be able to do pitch or tilt or depth too well

you would have to have multiple eyetoy cameras set up around the room and use something more than a simple patern

hell just look at expensive Motion Capturing systems alot of them use 8, 16 or more cameras and at the joints and other areas people and objects need to have giant bright white balls attatched to them to get accurate data, if you think Sony is going to accomplish that same feet with just 1 camera and a simple pattern on the controller your silly

Gaia Theory said:
Sony will unveil their new PS3 controller at E3 and it will look like this:
5676556A62UC114199M.jpg

While the exterior is identical to the PS1/2 Dualshock, it's interior will be dramatically different:
norumble.jpg

No rumble motors based on patents copied from Immersion.

/end thread

ding ding ding ding

ahmad

Banned
If Sony does copies the Wii controller then they will just prove themselves to be nothing more than copy cats

ahmad said:
If Sony does copies the Wii controller then they will just prove themselves to be nothing more than copy cats

They'll also show that they're smarter than alot of people think for not underestimating their competition. That's the way you stay on top.

WalkMan

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
I really liked the pressure sensitive buttons but outside of MGS games, it was rarely used to great effect.
Pretty much only used by Gran Turismo and creatively used by MGS. It was a nice feature but not many people thought of much. They'll probably just have some special thing built into the controller to allow the Eyetoy to find it easier. Or maybe have a USB port at the top for add-ons. Who knows.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Chrono said:
The mass hysteria will really hit once nintendo reveals the other secret and counter-owns sony in less than 24 hours from their conference. Believe. :D
:lol

Mrbob said:
I guess not, must explain why I own more DS games than PSP games at the moment.

I don't care about your game collection. I just tire of the rhetoric. I'm sorry my reply was caustic. I sure wish we could have an honest discussion without people falling back on dogmatic thinking. And it's even more egregious when such thinking is from posters who often attack others for groupthink practices.

Mrbob

Uhhh, the GC remote is garbage. Go spew your general generic overreaching comments onto someone elseeeeeeeeee boyeeeeeeeeeeee.

Mrbob said:
Uhhh, the GC remote is garbage. Go spew your general generic overreaching bcomments onto someone elseeeeeeeeee boyeeeeeeeeeeee.

Shades of gray. The difference between a DualShock and a GameCube pad is one analog stick and some button placement. They sport unique layouts but are all-but functionally identical.

If you can't see that current-gen systems (PS2, XBox, GC) are simply clones of one another, then you lack imagination. To say that a DualShock with motion sensing is perfect but a Wavebird with motion sensing is garbage within the same thread is hyperbole of the highest order, and it speaks directly to your blatantly dogmatic thinking.

There's too much of this crap for any real meaningful discussion.

Error2k4 said:
:lol now it's competing. I remember people saying that the Wiimote was a gimmick.

Oh don't worry, i still think it is. I'm just not worried about Sony doing it because i'm confident it won't negatively effect genres that already work perfectly fine with a standard controller.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
SolidSnakex said:
They'll also show that they're smarter than alot of people think for not underestimating their competition. That's the way you stay on top.

That's what they've been doing for a long time, but I think this time it might not work and Nintendo might be expecting it. Ultimately if they do this it could not go down as well with public perception as most people think now, there could be backlash. And that is because, as I understand, what Nintendo is trying to do with the "new" generation is based on the big art world ways of judging, and therefore you'll definitely see them bringing Sony's artistic merits into the table if they do this, and there's even a track record to go with it. It's like Reggie and co. go to mainstream media and talk in terms they already understand from Hollywood and Broadway language, instead of Sony going and begin talking about transistors.

like i said before whenever the subject is brought up, ... i don't think sony'd be crass enough to outright copy the wiimote. but theres a possibility they're probably doing something with it to that will change gameplay, may it be gyros, ect.

nintendo is shaping up to be a viable threat to sony this round (in japan at least) and sony just cant go on using the same formula every generation

ThirdEye

Mike Works said:
Nintendo fans pissed off at Sony potentially copying them again? Check.

Sony fans trying to mask their controller related insecurities and everything they've said about Nintendo's controller up until this day by attempting to divert attention to "look at those nintendo fans panic lol"? Check.

Mass hysteria less than a week before E3?

checkmate.jpg
Microsoft fans fearing to drop out of the next-gen to the rosebudded xbox 1.5? Check.

Ahmedz

I personally don't think it's that big of deal. Maybe it's an Eye Toy thing. But if Sony really did it, and just stole Nintendo's ideas, I may actually start to hate their guts :) .

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Cold-Steel said:
I really liked the pressure sensitive buttons but outside of MGS games, it was rarely used to great effect.
How many times have you used /\ in Socom 2/3 to kneel around corners or dive for your life from enemy fire? :)

mj1108

_leech_ said:
Oh don't worry, i still think it is. I'm just not worried about Sony doing it because i'm confident it won't negatively effect genres that already work perfectly fine with a standard controller.

In other words, new things are gimmicks if Nintendo does them but if Sony does the same thing it's great?

Gotcha. [/sarcasm]

mj1108 said:
In other words, new things are gimmicks if Nintendo does them but if Sony does the same thing it's great?

Gotcha. [/sarcasm]

Re-read my first sentence in that post.

edit: Nevermind, i'll just explain. I think the idea is a gimmick (whether it's done by Nintendo or Sony is irrelevant), i just won't have a problem if Sony does it because if they were to integrate it into a Dual Shock, none of the games and genres i like playing (fighters, for example) will be negatively effected, unlike the wiimote.

WalkMan

Banned
_leech_ said:

edit: Nevermind, i'll just explain. I think the idea is a gimmick (whether it's done by Nintendo or Sony is irrelevant), i just won't have a problem if Sony does it because if they were to integrate it into a Dual Shock, none of the games and genres i like playing (fighters, for example) will be negatively effected, unlike the wiimote.
Also it ensures that Backwards-compatibility works to 100% by having a controller use the same form-factor.

Mrbob

mj1108 said:

Gotcha. [/sarcasm]

Nintendo comes up with the idea and then Sony improves on it. ;)

Mike Works said:
Nintendo fans pissed off at Sony potentially copying them again? Check.

Sony fans trying to mask their controller related insecurities and everything they've said about Nintendo's controller up until this day by attempting to divert attention to "look at those nintendo fans panic lol"? Check.

Mass hysteria less than a week before E3?

checkmate.jpg
i don't know how you do it, but good job sir.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What is that? :0

That's wacky!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shin Johnpv said:
you would have to have multiple eyetoy cameras to track it in 3D space, a single camera can only truly track in 2-D space up and down left and right it wouldnt really be able to do pitch or tilt or depth too well
Good thing I wasn't talking about tracking the pattern in full 3d space then, eh? Looks like you gave my post a very perfunctory read and didn't even bother reading follow-up conversation with Pkunk. FTL, sir.

hell just look at expensive Motion Capturing systems alot of them use 8, 16 or more cameras and at the joints and other areas people and objects need to have giant bright white balls attatched to them to get accurate data, if you think Sony is going to accomplish that same feet with just 1 camera and a simple pattern on the controller your silly
But we're not talking about doing industrial strength motion capture of an entire body, grabbing motion data from multiple points simultaneously as a series of complex motions are performed and applying it to a full skeletal simulation in realtime. We're talking about tracking ONE point of reference through a series of much simpler motions. It's basically the equivalent of adding a 3rd analog stick without requiring the user to grow a third thumb in order to use it. Why don't you overreact a little more?

kaching said:
Good thing I wasn't talking about tracking the pattern in full 3d space then, eh? Looks like you gave my post a very perfunctory read and didn't even bother reading follow-up conversation with Pkunk. FTL, sir.

But we're not talking about doing industrial strength motion capture of an entire body, grabbing motion data from multiple points simultaneously as a series of complex motions are performed and applying it to a full skeletal simulation in realtime. We're talking about tracking ONE point of reference through a series of much simpler motions. It's basically the equivalent of adding a 3rd analog stick without requiring the user to grow a third thumb in order to use it. Why don't you overreact a little more?

If you're using 1 camera then you can only track up and down left and right style motion you can not track tilt, or depth it doesn't matter how simple the motion is

Motion capture systems dont usually apply it directly to the skeleton usually the motion capture data which is just x,y,z coordinates in 3d space for each point being captured is fed into another program which handles the skeletal animation

You're talking about tracking 1 point moving up down, left and right, which is really kind of pointless in conjunction with a regular controller. What does adding a "3rd analog stick" really acomplish, it's just not the same as tracking motion in full 3d world space

and I don't know why you think some one expressing their opinion on why your idea really wouldnt be effective is over reacting I dont see any OMG!!!! or exclimation points in my post, it was quite calm, just my opinion on why using a single camera eye toy to track motion while using a regular controller along side it just isn't very effective

Plus it sounds very unintuative. I think one of the reasons why the Wii remote is getting attention is because it is intuative. I think moving your controller with both hands up while pressing one analog stick to the left the other one down and pressing a button seems much less intuative.

I just think if they are going to try to make something to compete with the Wii controller than you need to track data in 3d world space, which is something a single camera Eyetoy just is not going to be able to do.

LOcKY

i do have a theory on how the eyetoy could possible read movement in the Z-axis.

first it will need to detect the object, object being hand or whatever. it will then reconise the object shape and then maybe turn it into a rectangle, sphere or whatever.

so in theory, all it needs to do is if the object is closer to the camera then the object shape becomes larger hence the eyetoy will know its a forward movement. and of course the object becomes smaller if they are moving backwards.

however how it will turn out into real gameplay experience is unknown but you can get a rough idea how it will work, the problem lies is whether there is a slight delay for the eyetoy to calculate all this but im very certain its no way as sophisticated as the wii mote :)

but im sure you can create some basic gameplay mechanics.

what do you think?

HaliKali

While I'm a bit interested about Sony's take of a motion sensing controller, with which the company would combine the best of both worlds (Hi-def graphics and freestyle controller), I think It would be an even more cynical ripoff than the rumble, the shoulder buttons, etc. were...
In my opinion, Sony will just expand the Eye Toy functionality with video conferences and more creative approaches with their games.
Just a couple of days and we will know for sure.... I hope...
(Excuse my current basic english skills, I think living in France is destroying my english :lol )

LOcKY

i cant remember if anyone seen that video of the eyetoy device which scans in their face and then it changes your hair, puts patterns on your face etc... just imagine how many girls would buy that! and maybe guys....

mmm.. i wonder what hair style i should do.. I KNOW i'll just turn on my ps3 and see what styles i can choose from the HAIR SImulator (NON GAME).

basically its your PS style editing but applying motion features. bleh.

hey just an idea :-\

_PsiFire_

_leech_ said:

Hold up here..

Nintendo has the shell (which they havn't shown yet) that will enable traditional controls for fighters, etc and you're saying Nintendo is screwing things up because nobody will be able to play things the "old" way??

Maybe you really are ignorant to what Nintendo is bringing out for the Wii.

Ponn

Banned
_PsiFire_ said:
Hold up here..

Nintendo has the shell (which they havn't shown yet) that will enable traditional controls for fighters, etc and you're saying Nintendo is screwing things up because nobody will be able to play things the "old" way??

Maybe you really are ignorant to what Nintendo is bringing out for the Wii.

Is the shell included? Will it be standard? Will they keep going back to the shell giving up on embracing the Revmote idea? If the shell isn't included and not standard how many developers will actually take advantage of it?

There's a big difference in making the "Revmote" your standard controller with a nunchuck attachment and adding some type of motion sensing to a "standard" controller. They are going in almost two different directions. Nintendo cannot cop out and fall back onto a "shell controller" for their new console. Just like Sony, IF (and big fucking if) they tried to add motion sensing tech to their controller could not create the same experience of gaming with the Revmote because thats not what it was designed for.

Ponn01 said:
Is the shell included? Will it be standard? Will they keep going back to the shell giving up on embracing the Revmote idea? If the shell isn't included and not standard how many developers will actually take advantage of it?

There's a big difference in making the "Revmote" your standard controller with a nunchuck attachment and adding some type of motion sensing to a "standard" controller. They are going in almost two different directions. Nintendo cannot cop out and fall back onto a "shell controller" for their new console. Just like Sony, IF (and big fucking if) they tried to add motion sensing tech to their controller could not create the same experience of gaming with the Revmote because thats not what it was designed for.

But from what has been said, it's quite possible for the motion sensing feature to be active even with the FHC docked into the controller shell, effectively resulting in a controller with motion sensing. It has been said that Twilight Princess would take advantage of the FHC, and what better way would there be? Just imagine, for instance, being able to wave the controller while holding down, say, the backside button, to be able to freely look around.

Top Bottom