• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS3] New Kingdom Hearts HD Screenshots

Roubjon

I've got no idea what even happens in Days, so this should be good, but I seriously can't wait to replay KH1 like this. I'll play CoM simply because it's there; I remember the cutscenes being really well done, but man the battles got repetitive. Once you make the best deck out of what you have, why not just do the same attacks in the same order over and over again?

Squire

Banned
Disney movies always have two different levels of interpretation, as well. Seems like you would rather have aesthetics to be in ad-equation with plots' depth. That's what Versus does.

LOL, no one knows what Versus does because no one has played it.

I agree about Disney's films, but it's not about my preference. Just saying anything about or involving Disney characters is made with fairly young children in mind first because they (or rather their parents) are the cash cow. Lots of adults enjoy this stuff to, but they're not critical to success by any means.

1.5 is for the titles that lead up to 2. They'll make 0.5 for Birth by Sleep and 2.5 for the titles that lead up to 3

and then 3 will never come
BBS is likely to come in 2.5. SCEA policies don't allow physical releases of single standalone HD remakes. 2.5 is likely to be KH2FM, BBSFM, and the cutscenes from KH3D. Re:Coded isn't important to keep around.

To be fair, in spite of as confident as I sounded, my memory may be deficient here. Played both no less than almost six years ago, actually. Beat the LLC on December 2006 and FM+ right when it came out. Descriptions stand, at any rate.
My memory is a bit fuzzy, too, but I remember the frustration with FM very well.
But one day, that score will be settled. One day.

Squire

Banned
BBS is likely to come in 2.5. SCEA policies don't allow physical releases of single standalone HD remakes. 2.5 is likely to be KH2FM, BBSFM, and the cutscenes from KH3D. Re:Coded isn't important to keep around.

Given this is coming West, they're definitely adhering that policy.

Good. Thank you, SCEA.

Looks like every bullshot they release for a KH game :lol

Hopefully it is real this time tho ;). I have no fear that the game looks good but oh god fix the framerate. It looked absolutely horrible for Re:CoM in the trailer.

sappyday

so is this just a remake of kingdom hearts 1 or is a combo of games?

HD Remaster of Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix (which is like bonus content that was only released in Japan way back when) and Kingdom Heart Re:Chain of Memories and a HD movie out of all the important scenes in the DS game Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

The remasters are having a few tweaks in gameplay but not much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disney movies always have two different levels of interpretation, as well. Seems like you would rather have aesthetics to be in ad-equation with plots' depth. That's what Versus does.

I'm not sure that's true.

Take Dumbo.

Kid's level: Dumbo might look funny, but look, his ears let him fly, so everyone who made fun of Dumbo looks dumb now, don't they? Same story as Rudolph, Ugly Duckling, etc. Also, it is sad that Dumbo can't see his mother because she is locked in a cage.

Second, deeper level: ... ... ... I guess that in 2012 you can extract race commentary on the Jim Crow character and even the anonymous black men setting up the circus, but that wasn't really intended meaning as much as it was cultural context. You could probably interpret many of the scenes of the circus as cruel, but again it's the cultural context of the now, not an intended level of the work. I guess there are gender dynamics at play with the gossipy elephant women, but I'm not sure that's an intentional thing to be interpreted. Beyond that, what else is there? Dumbo gets drunk on champagne during the Pink Elephants on Parade scene, but what follows is basically a psychadelic world music/jazz trip, not really any "level of interpretation".

Or, say, Mulan.

Kid's level: Mulan is told she is not able to be a hero because she is a girl. Mushu is not thought to be a good protector because he is tiny. We learn that girls and small things can still be heroic, because bravery comes from within. Don't judge a book by its cover, same theme as Hunchback, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Second, deeper level: The gender stuff is surface level. There's no real insight on Asian culture. What's the second level?

Take Dumbo.

Kid's level: Dumbo might look funny, but look, his ears let him fly, so everyone who made fun of Dumbo looks dumb now, don't they? Same story as Rudolph, Ugly Duckling, etc. Also, it is sad that Dumbo can't see his mother because she is locked in a cage.

Second, deeper level: Scar kids for life with that weird ass pink elephant shit

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Never played Coded or 3D, but KH2 FM's battle system? Lmao. It's just a flashy button-mash fest. Hardly any strategy involved, and magic was useless.
If mindless button-smashing à la BTA is your thing. Props to FM+ for at least making some use of that mirror spell. Barely played the rest.
KH2 really was a mindless button masher. I'm glad the newer games went away from that direction. Magic was actually useful in 3D.

Is this gonna be 720p or 1080p?

Those look good but are so small > . <

I heard 1440x810 2xMSSA and 1280x720 4xMSAA. Don't know how credible that is though. I hope the movie is mastered in 1080p though with no aliasing. It's a freaking pre-rendered movie it better have good IQ.

RE:Coded is important. I hope they just keep 3D to the 3DS :/

Bladenic

Not gonna lie, there is a part of me that wishes they fully remade 358/2 Days. Of course, they would have had to truly remake it, as the game wasn't very good. But still.

Oh well, hope we get an NA announcement soon and that the release date isn't much further from the JP one.

Valnen

Love the art in Kingdom Hearts, it's so clean and pleasing to the eyes. Definitely getting this day one, along with 2.5 when/if it comes.

Saw this floating around

WZvMCTC.jpg

Also, there was news this week about a new "Roxas Diary", more secret reports (not surprising) as well as the inclusion of an in-game encyclopedia. Guess they're really trying to explain everything.

and here I was thinking the HD port wasn't so impressive.

DAY ONE.

:)

People who've beaten CoM, teach me how to not hate the battle system.

For Sora:

• Create separate decks based on levels and bosses. If you're using one deck the whole time, you're doing it wrong.
  • As you learn more sleights, add them to your deck and choose the ones you like based on the type of enemy rooms you create.
  • At a certain point, you'll want to be using nothing but sleights in normal encounters. A good deck with powerful sleights can down all foes in the arena in 1-3 moves, but if you find yourself needing to reload your deck once, add an ether of some sort to the end. If you need to reload more than twice, reconsider you deck or simply add ethers accordingly.
  • Use item cards in a sleight with a high sum combo to prevent it from being countered. If you're using an item that reloads items also, there's no excuse to not do this.
  • If a sleight only requires two cards to execute, add a disposable card in the front of the three card combo. Remember, every first card you draw for a sleight is lost for the remainder of the battle unless reloaded with an ether. By adding a disposable card in front of a two-card sleight, you'll extend your ability to use that sleight until you lose a card that makes up that sleight combo. This is particularly handy for cure spells. Still excise caution as low sum sleights can still be countered by 0s and high sum combos.
  • Boss cards you get can be pretty handy for all encounters. For normal encounters, consider any boss cards that will simply aid in completing battles quicker. For boss battles, boss cards that aid in survival-ability can be helpful especially if you're under-leveled. Boss cards that help you execute sleights are great too.
  • In a boss fight, when you're not attacking or maneuvering, recharge your deck but stop before you actually complete the reload. This way, when you need more cards quickly, it'll take a second to reload. A great time to charge your deck is when you're waiting to counter boss moves you can't dodge. Another tip: when you reload your deck, consider charging again immediately so you can essentially have two decks ready with multiple sleights at your disposal. This is great when paired with boss cards that make you immune to card counters for a short time.
  • Pay attention to boss moves you can simply avoid and moves you must counter. If you can't counter with a 0 card, know that before hand and get ready to set a disposable sleight you expect is within a chance to counter a move.
  • When you create rooms, pay attention to cards that will give you some sort of advantage or preemptive strike, such as a card that only gives enemies half hp. If you're skipping rooms, use disadvantageous cards and simply avoid all enemies.
  • Do not button mash.

For Riku:
  • Button mash. Grind. Remember to use boss cards.

Narolf

Banned
Albeit they release their goddamn game.

Edit:

Sure.

Sorry about the edit, wasn't sure if my post made sense. Near as I could remember, it's not grammatically correct to start sentences with "albeit", hence my edit.

Take Dumbo.

Second, deeper level: ... ... ... I guess that in 2012 you can extract race commentary on the Jim Crow character and even the anonymous black men setting up the circus, but that wasn't really intended meaning as much as it was cultural context. You could probably interpret many of the scenes of the circus as cruel, but again it's the cultural context of the now, not an intended level of the work. I guess there are gender dynamics at play with the gossipy elephant women, but I'm not sure that's an intentional thing to be interpreted. Beyond that, what else is there? Dumbo gets drunk on champagne during the Pink Elephants on Parade scene, but what follows is basically a psychadelic world music/jazz trip, not really any "level of interpretation".

Or, say, Mulan.

Kid's level: Mulan is told she is not able to be a hero because she is a girl. Mushu is not thought to be a good protector because he is tiny. We learn that girls and small things can still be heroic, because bravery comes from within. Don't judge a book by its cover, same theme as Hunchback, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Second, deeper level: The gender stuff is surface level. There's no real insight on Asian culture. What's the second level?

Last time I watched Dumbo was more than ten years ago (I'm 21) and yep, I don't quite recall any deeper meaning lying on a second level of interpretation apart from that drunk scene you mentioned. When I watched that one as a kid, I thought he was dreaming. It isn't satirical, either. Dumbo is indeed a good example to back your stance, for it remains one of the very few one-dimensional Disney to date.

As for Mulan, I completely disagree. No need to even tackle interpretation and all that good talk here, the sole fact it highlights Huns speaks alone. Kids will see them as barbaric warriors, while literate people will get the historical references behind.

SykoTech

If so, SCEA's policy would work in our favor for once. Nice.

RE:Coded is important. I hope they just keep 3D to the 3DS :/

At the unbolded: No, not really.

At the bolded: Why? What would you gain from that?

Pffft Days? No one cares about that stupid game (Nah, people do) but show me screenshots of the first KH...that's the game we're all wanting to see!

Squire

Banned
Because the game is really too recent and it's still on a brand new system. If it happens I won't be too pissed, but I will be upset because I want to play it on my 3DS

Why would you be pissed at all? Putting it on anything else won't stop you from playing the 3DS version.

Narolf

Banned
So she's just like Kairi, and Naminé? Works for me.

As much as we dig the concept of Doppelgänger ourselves, you ought to admit KH soaks it up to a point it nullifies the symbolical value behind. All those third party characters were such a mess I stopped taking the series any seriously. KH just tries that hard to be complex.

Must be a breath of fresh air for the artists who worked on the original as this is probably closer to what they were looking at while developing the game.

botty

Banned
As much as we dig the concept of Doppelgänger ourselves, you ought to admit KH soaks it up to a point it nullifies the symbolical value behind. All those third party characters were such a mess I stopped taking the series any seriously. KH just tries that hard to be complex.

I wasn't really referring to the Doppelgänger stuff. Kairi and Naminé are plot devices because their roles can be reduced to nothing but an end goal. Obviously, Kairi and Naminé are much more than that, but I was being factious, and just tried to make a point.

But continuing on from the Doppelgänger concept, I do agree it is tried and tired in the series. Ven looking exactly like Roxas still rubs me the wrong way.

Top Bottom