• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS3] New Kingdom Hearts HD Screenshots

They're saving KHII for the second part of collection.

Anyway, just how significant is 3D in terms of story? I've read a few things and it sounds... kinda messy. I'm holding off on getting it, because it may just be remastered later on, but I kinda miss playing KH. I guess I can wait, though.

Not as important as say... Birth by Sleep, but the final world has some revelations (that are indeed kinda retarded messy) that'll likely be relevant to KHIII, if/when that comes aorund.

overcast

I cannot wait to replay 1 and finally beat COM. Would be nice to watch the cutscenes of the DS game too.

I've only beaten 1 and 2, loved both, these HD remakes may be the opportunity for me to get my interest back.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do we know if it's 60 fps yet?

Screenshots do nothing for me, especially of the movie part. They need to show some gameplay.

Berordn

I wish that much truly new content were coming out in these HD Collections, but it's not.

Could just be "new content" in the same way as the 358/2 cutscenes in this one. There's much better side game matches for 2 than BBS, which is treated as a full entry in the series in most ways. 2.5 will probably have Re:Coded or Days in playable form since they "set up" for a sequel, much as all the content in 1.5 sets up for 2.

Doomrider

You speak as if the others don't. :p

Hah! I was referring more specifically to (3D spoilers)
time travel. Makes my head hurt just thinking about how many Ansem dudes end up existing in the KH universe

KH is clearly a shining example of bad story/plot with terrible execution/scenario. There is always that KH summary spreadsheet popping in these threads at some point, and that's when one realizes the story is pretty dumb in itself, meaning one doesn't get to realize it first-hand for how poor the plot's execution is. Doesn't change the fact its thematics remain interesting. That is this series' greatest strength by far.

Yeah, the story/plot/writing could stand to be more concise but they just keep adding layers and layers of stuff, so it gets inevitably retarded. But you're right, when I'm playing I never really have the whole picture in my mind so it's still pretty enjoyable. I love me some KH, themes and tropes included. It ain't even a guilty pleasure, it's just honestly entertaining.

Not as important as say... Birth by Sleep, but the final world has some revelations (that are indeed kinda retarded messy) that'll likely be relevant to KHIII, if/when that comes aorund.

Hm. I guess we'll see if Nomura considers those relevant enough to include the game in a future HD collection. I enjoyed the demo, pretty fast paced. I'm really curious as to how KH3 is gonna play like.

Famassu

The problem with KHII for me (aside from the gratuitous use of Reaction Commands) isn't so much the battle system as it is that there isn't anything in the non Final Mix releases of the game that forces you to actually learn some of the combat's intricacies. Sephiroth is damn near the only boss in vanilla KHII that punishes button mashing, and even then he's still a joke if you use Counterguard and/or Reflect.

Admittedly, it's pretty stupid that it took an entire re-release of the game for them to get it right, and even then, you have to play on Critical Mode to get the most out of it, but a Critical Mode run in KHIIFM really lets the battle system shine. With a lot of the enemy encounters, you actually have to plan out and prioritize how and when you'll use all the tools available to you, which is how the game should have been in the first place.
KHII is a result of them listening to a (part) of their fanbase who thought

1) the sometimes complex level designs weren't fun (-> in II they streamlined worlds)
2) the game could be difficult if you didn't grind (-> II is easier)

and they kinda went to the extreme end of "fixing" these problems. Then II came out and they realized, hey, not all of our fans are children or shitty players, so ever since then they've included a bit more choice in the challenge department and not had such straightforward level design. Of course not all of the things they listened to fans on & thus changed were bad

-inaccurate jumping in the first game -> made it a bit better to control in II
-somewhat clumsy controls overall -> tightened it up
-no camera control on the right analog stick -> camera control with the right analog stick
-swimming world in I -> no (proper) swimming world in II
-gummy ship portions were boring -> gummy ship portions were a bit more exciting

They really do listen to the fans a lot with these games. That's why when BBS got such a great reception they've been taking that kind of gameplay further. If they continue this way, I'd wager that, say, the flow motion stuff will return in III but it'll be changed a bit, perhaps better balanced or a bit more limited to make using all that stuff a bit more strategic. And if the Pokemons ever return, I doubt rubbing them will be in (I guess you might still be able to do it, but it'll probably not be important at all).

Everybody likes to forget that they originally announced 0.5 in BBS:FM.

You're going to get Re:Coded in 2.5 and like it.

Everyone also forgets that SCEA doesn't allow individual packaging of PSP remasters (However, this is 100% okay in Japan. See: Peace Walker HD for a perfect example)

We'll get BBS with 2 and whatever other third game (if they indeed throw in a third game in the 2nd collection!) togethre here in the US, probably at a 10 dollar premium for most HD collections.

Also..those look about as good as KHII running in PCSX2, albeit with higher-res textures (instead of up-scaled textures). Those games upscale REALLY well anyway, because of the art style. Looking forward to this.

Weird, I'm looking forward to the 358/2 DAys movie the best. That game sucked to play, but it had an awesome story.

They really do listen to the fans a lot with these games. That's why when BBS got such a great reception they've been taking that kind of gameplay further. If they continue this way, I'd wager that, say, the flow motion stuff will return in III but it'll be changed a bit, perhaps better balanced or a bit more limited to make using all that stuff a bit more strategic. And if the Pokemons ever return, I doubt rubbing them will be in (I guess you might still be able to do it, but it'll probably not be important at all).

I just hope they keep the difficulty of BBS and 3D, some battles there really make you think on your feet.

Squire

Banned
I hope SE charges $50 for this, but I'm not holding my breath. I also hope they were actually smart enough to make 358/2 an actual movie and not just selectable chapters (Is there clarification on that?). That would be dumb, but the fact Nomura "directed" Advent Children would make for double damage.

Famassu

Everybody likes to forget that they originally announced 0.5 in BBS:FM.
They've since scrapped the plans for BBS Vol. 2 due to deciding that they need to bring the series back to consoles, meaning III will be the next release and since III ends the Xehanort saga, there's no need for BBS Vol.2 (at least in the form Nomura originally intended) in the future either, since that's what it would have tied to. Not to say we won't get any other KH games taking place in the past. Those just won't be related to these two collections.

You're going to get Re:Coded in 2.5 and like it.
Yeah, ReCoded will be in the collection.

As a Days-style cutscene version.

peronmls

I'm sure those screen shot are computer renders and not console renders becuase some of them before had very noticeable edges. (Not bad edges)

I hope SE charges $50 for this, but I'm not holding my breath. I also hope they were actually smart enough to make 358/2 an actual movie and not just selectable chapters (Is there clarification on that?). That would be dumb, but the fact Nomura "directed" Advent Children would make for double damage.

http://kh13.com/news/34919-famitsus...slated-with-a-wealth-of-3582-days-information

It looks like it's divided in chapters. I personally don't mind, since I don't plan to stick around for almost 3 hours consecutively NOT playing the game.

Squire

Banned
http://kh13.com/news/34919-famitsus...slated-with-a-wealth-of-3582-days-information

It looks like it's divided in chapters. I personally don't mind, since I don't plan to stick around for almost 3 hours consecutively NOT playing the game.

I see. Actually, that might be alright if there's an option to "Play All" so you can just watch continuously until you've had your fill.

When was KH 3D announced for the west? That was a March release in Japan, too; July in the west. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same for this.

They've since scrapped the plans for BBS Vol. 2 due to deciding that they need to bring the series back to consoles, meaning III will be the next release and since III ends the Xehanort saga, there's no need for BBS Vol.2 (at least in the form Nomura originally intended) in the future either, since that's what it would have tied to. Not to say we won't get any other KH games taking place in the past. Those just won't be related to these two collections.

I was so glad in KH3D when
the credits spelled out "This leads to Kingdom Hearts III" Those credits sequences were done really well.

Famassu

It's. only got one moderately important scene in the entire game.
And Roxas, Axel & Xion eating icecream for 2,5 hours out of that 3 is very important? :p

Yeah, Coded isn't that important, but it's not that big of a job to include it so they just might do it anyway. Perhaps because Coded isn't that big or important, they could do 3D's cutscenes as well...

It damn well better.
I doubt Star Wars. But Pixar is a REAL possibility given Nomura has said he'd like to have them in KH some day.

And Roxas, Axel & Xion eating icecream for 2,5 hours out of that 3 is very important? :p

Yeah, Coded isn't that important, but it's not that big of a job to include it so they just might do it anyway. Perhaps because Coded isn't that big or important, they could do 3D's cutscenes as well...

I doubt Star Wars. But Pixar is a REAL possibility given Nomura has said he'd like to have them in KH some day.

We were THIS close to having Buzz and Woody in KH2FM, but they were pulled out.

Famassu

No reason to doubt SW. KH3 will likely hit in between or in the same year as a new movie.
Sure, but if what I believe is true (that KHIII is already in development by the Osaka team), then Nomura & Co have maybe already planned & decided as well as gotten an OK from Disney on what worlds they'll use in III. And the Star Wars news might've not been early enough to be taken into consideration when making those plans.

Of course maybe III isn't in development yet at all and all is still open.

sappyday

No reason to doubt SW. KH3 will likely hit in between or in the same year as a new movie.

Ehh I don't think they'll fit. People thought the same when Disney bought Marvel but they haven't done anything with it in the series. If they haven't even gotten Pixar I doubt Star Wars will come before.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ehh I don't think they'll fit. People thought the same when Disney bought Marvel but they haven't done anything with it in the series. If they haven't even gotten Pixar I doubt Star Wars will come before.

Who the hell saw that coming?

KH.jpg

Squire

Banned

They did Tron and Pirates of The Carribean. There's no reason Star Wars can't or won't be included unless the game is so deep in development it's impossible. And I highly doubt that's the case. SW is worth more and more recognized than anything Pixar ever made.

No one I guess but at least in that world those characters are still under-powered compared to the characters of Kingdom Hearts. Anyone in Star Wars can probably kill Sora.

You already get what you ask for at the end of Kingdom Hearts 2.

You've got Gods in Hercules, power levels aren't a worry.

Top Bottom