• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
onken said:
Well on the off-chance that it's not bullshit, it would appear they've cloned/modified the factory repair dongle thingy.

Also, $119 :lol
WTF at that price. IF IT'S EVEN LEGIT, that is a total rip off for a stupid little adapter. If anything I guess I can be glad because only the serious legit users will want to buy and it will deter the actual pirates who want everything free.

D4Danger said:
I hacked the PS3 this morning. I'll make a video of me holding a USB key to prove it.
Don't forget to watermark it!

And loading them off the USB is slow? If you're willing to put up with that then knock yourself out. It would be appealing to the legitimate users if the thing worked fast. And didn't cost $119.

Guyver

onken said:
Well on the off-chance that it's not bullshit, it would appear they've cloned/modified the factory repair dongle thingy.

Also, $119 :lol

I'm sure someone will hack that dongle so that we can turn any normal usb stick to be like one. (like the pandora battery)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
androvsky said:
Apparently several sources received it in the mail at almost the exact same time? Also, it's been two hours since his first post, so if the thing works, it's really slow (or everyone's installing MGS4).

:lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's playing off the hard drive and it does take a while to rip a bluray to the internal hard disk. I've done it with blurays and from memory it takes about 1hr, maybe more or less depending on size of course.

LiquidMetal14

evlcookie said:
It's playing off the hard drive and it does take a while to rip a bluray to the internal hard disk. I've done it with blurays and from memory it takes about 1hr, maybe more or less depending on size of course.
You mean on a PC or with this mod?

dangrib

from the whirlpool thread

"Gah – uncharted taking wayy to long to dump
45 mins and it was only 9gb through

can someone tell me whats the smallest of

Rachet and clank – tools to desc
racher and clank – booty
resistance- fall of man
risistance 2
uncharted 1
haze
ninja gaiden sigma
metal gear 4
infamous"

there's your slow ripping answer

androvsky

evlcookie said:

For movies, maybe. Multi-platform PS3 games aren't going to take up much more than 6 GB (many probably use less), and given the time it takes to install 5 GB for PS3 games that have installs, a typical game shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do a full install, even assuming this whole thing is kinda slow.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
LiquidMetal14 said:
You mean on a PC or with this mod?

No on the PS3.

You have been able to make bluray backups on the ps3 using tools for ages, you could do it on linux or use a small bootable app called the ps3 swiss army knife.

It's not the fastest thing in the world.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boney said:
Even if it is real, Sony will plug it in inmediatly.
So, you don't update. If you have some spare cash, you an have a PS3 able to play every PS3 game made before mid 2010.

If this is real, Sony can't do anything if people were to play offline only.

don't think they will make you have a internet connection to PSN like those games like Assassin Creed for pc.

tass0

Banned
some screens i managed to find:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i'm leaning towards fake, but we'll see.

TheExodu5

Banned
I hope it's true. I would totally get this to dump my games to my 500GB HDD. <3

The only thing that would suck is if I'd need to buy a second console and keep it offline. =\

McLovin

Even if it works, you probably won't be able to update your system anymore, because you know they will patch that hole up. So that means no more online + if it backs up an ISO file then its going to blindly back up the whole thing. If you have a 60gb ps3 you'll end up with 1 game on your hard drive.

KAL2006

Banned
SephirothRK said:
what about my arcade tournament edition sf4 stick? :(

Sony:
The TE Stick is not an official sony controller, so it is not our problem, we only reccomend you buy official controller :D

Anyways my mate will be all over this, the only reason he bought a 360 over PS3 is because he can play free games.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I would find it odd if it actually was fake. Only because of ozmodchips. The guy has been around for a while now, selling all sorts of random shit over the years. I see no benefit for him to come out and say it's real, if it turns out to be all a hoax people won't be buying off him in the future.

If only i wasn't at work and i actually had a drivers license, i would drive down to his store and check it out :lol

LiquidMetal14

SephirothRK said:
If this is real, Sony can't do anything if people were to play offline only.

don't think they will make you have a internet connection to PSN like those games like Assassin Creed for pc.
You will just have to live with every game being offline only. And for me that is not an option with all my friends and heavy investment in PSN. Unless you want to say goodbye to your friends and all online functions (except the browser) then this is a no win. It's nice saying that this is a legit means to play backups but the more serious issue is always piracy. And PS3 games (at least 1st party) are huge. And 45 minutes just to install a 9GB portion of UC? New tech and all (if real) but that is ridiculous.

androvsky

tass0 said:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hmm, so he's got two pics of installing LittleBitPlanet, but he's complaining about how long Uncharted took to install? Or is this one of the other sources (with a watermark from the same store)?

RobertM

tass0 said:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So basically the usb drive is acting as a fake game allowing you to run a backup utility, interesting. It's kind of like swap magic in USB form.

Guys, Sony clearly needs to protect themselves from piracy and kill all the USB ports in the next update.

It's for everyone's good you know. Horrible pirates.

androvsky

Dragona Akehi said:
Guys, Sony clearly needs to protect themselves from piracy and kill all the USB ports in the next update.

Yeah, especially if the hack doesn't work.

JardeL

His posts so far ;

dumping a game now
you need to have 1 retial game to run from HDD inside at all times
i will make a video of uncharted 2 inside, and the ps3 playing Little big planet

but yeah, its real, no need to call fake on this one :)
---
you install an app on your ps3
go into there
insert disc
and it dumps on your internal or external
its meant to ask which one, but mine didnt, probably because there is only 2gb left on my internal HDD
---
its working on 3.41

apparently its upgradable, but yeah, im gussing sony will try something pretty quickly

anyways, i will post more on psx scene soon
---
come to the store and check it out man
---
Its not exclusive
we jsut always get shit first when its sent from china
I know 2 other people in australia that have it

and im guessing when the canadians wake up in the morning they will have it too
---
can someone let me know how big the God of war 1+2 remake disc is roughly?
its actually dumps quite slow, so just want to dump all of my smallest games first
---
Gah – uncharted taking wayy to long to dump
45 mins and it was only 9gb through

can someone tell me whats the smallest of
---

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
McLovin said:
Even if it works, you probably won't be able to update your system anymore, because you know they will patch that hole up. So that means no more online + if it backs up an ISO file then its going to blindly back up the whole thing. If you have a 60gb ps3 you'll end up with 1 game on your hard drive.
Protip: Buy a bigger hard drive. I have a 160 GB Hard Drive for my PS2, and a 320 GB Hard Drive for my Wii.

androvsky

PS3 Dev Notes on PS JailBreak:

Mathieulh: psjailbreak's so called "Backup Manager" (which is pretty much the only thing available to download on their website) is a debug package including a regular fself compiled with the (massively privately leaked) 1.92 sdk, The package itself is generated with Sony's official sdk tool (make_package_npdrm revision 1203 probably from that very same sdk) that makes it illegal to share because I am quite sure psjailbreak staff doesn't have the appropriate license to be using the official Playstation 3 SDK and its tools.

The binary itself seems to use the usual sce apis when it comes to the gui or copying files over. It does run on a debug console and displays a "nicely" done GUI that lets you "backup" your game to the external or usb hdd and "run" them later on.

Needless to say the backups wont "run" as their "backup manager" is just a regular fself running with game privileges and doesn't make use of any exploits that I can think of. Needless to say that if their so called usb dongle is real (which I doubt) it does extensive use of leaked sony's software and keys/certificates.

RichDevX: I hope nobody gave them money.

CJPC: Haven't tried it, but it looks like it will copy the game on a Debug PS3 but won't decrypt the executable... so, it's basically a giant "copy dev_bdvd/* hdd0/*" for lack of a better term.

That would explain why he's gone through three games without posting proof.

KAL2006

Banned
androvsky said:

What if a good hacker took a closer look at the illegal sdk code thingy and made it so it works

dangrib

just recieved an email from the guy doing it (i asked if i can come see) and he said within the next 10-20 mins he'll have a proper video up.

-PXG-

Dragona Akehi said:

But what if allows you to watch your Blu-Rays again ;)

Rhindle

androvsky said:
Yeah, my guess is that - if this thing is legit at all - all its doing is running a backup utility in the PS3 service mode.

That does not translate into being able to install and execute the dumped files in regular mode.

-PXG- said:
Will someone think of the poor execs and investors? What ever will they do? :lol

Heavens to Murgatroyd, what will they do? Clearly the only solution is to cut away features away from end users. Then they will be safe.

Top Bottom