• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

Just a note about the dynamic normalizer: if it's the same tech Sony uses on their Walkmans and SE phones, it can impact the sound quality quite a lot. If you don't care so much about that though, useful stuff.

Gbeav

Banned
Stupid update broke my Smashing Pumpkins rip. Everything else seems to play.

What does Sony have against the Pumpkins!

____

Tntnnbltn said:
That's partially from the background downloading while you read the change log and agree to the terms and conditions. Always makes it look really fast at the start.

Oh, I never knew that. Thanks :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What the hell, this update downloaded in less than 30 seconds... Did they start delivering differential updates only, instead of the whole flash rom file?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
still slow for me on hard wire.

The update killed gaf though. 500 errors out the ass today.

Fuck this is awesome! Now when I play Demons souls it will be a lot easier to talk to the people im co-oping with. Can't wait.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
____ said:
:lol

The install is taking longer than the download it seems
Yes. That's what made me think, it's still not a differential update. Install took maybe 30-40 seconds. Download probably around 20. Maybe it was downloading in the background while I was reading the feature list though.

rexor0717

They must be working on some kind voice chat, because when you look at the chat room from the XMB it says "Text Only". That kinda implies that there will be some other form of chat.
:/

LOL text chat feature is pretty shitty. Censoring bad words and there's a limit to the amount of text you can send :lol

EDIT: Obviously "horse" is considered a bad word now.

Shearie

I think the feature for this fimware that they should have showcased in the video demostration is that you can finally copy and paste text in the internet browser.

DMPrince said:
LOL text chat feature is pretty shitty. Censoring bad words and there's a limit to the amount of text you can send :lol

You just send a second message. If you stop mid sentence the people will know you aren't done...

Does it stop you at one line or something?

tzare

only 2-3 minutes to dwl FW, great :)

If you press PS button while text room open, you return to game, if press PS again it returns you to text room, not XMB. Nice

MvmntInGrn said:
You just send a second message. If you stop mid sentence the people will know you aren't done...

Does it stop you at one line or something?

you can continue typing but when you hit Start or enter it cuts it off to that limit.

comrade

Sony finally gave me a reason to go buy the Chatpad. I hope it works like how MSN messenger does with the 360. You press two buttons at once on a usb keyboard/chatpad and a transparent MSN window would come up in-game. Press it again and it disappears.

____

lowrider007 said:
Any stealth updates/changes noticed by anyone yet ?

It has that "Internet Search" functionality Sin said it had earlier.

In any game or demo on the "GAME" icon on the XMB, you can hit "triangle" and go to "Internet Search" and it'll do an automatic google search of the title of the game.

I haven't tried it in-game yet. Let's see.

EDIT: Nope, the option is blacked out in-game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Downloading the update right now :D

Guymelef

comrade said:
Sony finally gave me a reason to go buy the Chatpad. I hope it works like how MSN messenger does with the 360. You press two buttons at once on a usb keyboard/chatpad and a transparent MSN window would come up in-game. Press it again and it disappears.

If you are in text chat just press PS Button for go to the game, press the button again and the chat window automatically open.

dfyb

Banned
it works great. if you're in a chat room, it will load it instantly when you press PS button (rather than whole XMB).

edit: not a big issue, but i hope they change it to where the chat button on the chatpad takes you to the chat, rather than XMB

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
dfyb said:
it works great. if you're in a chat room, it will load it instantly when you press PS button (rather than whole XMB).
Hell yeah, nice touch
Sorry haters, this firmware delivers :D

BradleyUK

The firmware update had to be released when I left my only controller at a friend apartment in Colchester and I live in London. -_-

Bad timing Sony =(

Unregistered007 said:
Honeslty I am pretty disappointed in the changes... wern't there all the stuff like the Gamercard will load faster and other tweaks ?
All of that was rumors. It was basically a made up list by someone who claimed to have sources. That reminds me of 2.0 all over again when some believed that fantasy update, and almost none of that came true.

Download: 3 min
Install: 1.5 min

Never understood why people bitch about fw update times.

They SHOULD be bitching about how long it takes to d/l fucking ANYTHING from the playstation store.

Top Bottom