• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow the browser is a LOT faster. Hulu loads up nearly instantly. Took about 12 seconds for the last firmware.

-PXG-

SuperSonic1305 said:
Because not everyone has a mic on PS3 nor wants one.

I know. And it sucks too. I hate not being able to talk to my team in Killzone. What's the point in playing online if I can't talk to my teammates or my friends? I might as well just play with bots offline. :/ I swear Sony does shit just to piss people off. It's almost as if they just don't fucking care anymore.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I need volunteers to form a union for a thread on cencored words for the PS3 chat. As with Spielbergs PS1 on PSN initiative, I will need volunteers for service. I needs screenshots of Speevy, idiot, imbecile, and as the list grows we will need graphs. GAF, collectively this will come to fruition. Thank you

Another stealth update, when you download something now it tells you how long until it finishes. If that was there before I completely missed it.

GQman2121

Banned
-PXG- said:
I know. And it sucks too. I hate not being able to talk to my team in Killzone. What's the point in playing online if I can't talk to my teammates or my friends? I might as well just play with bots offline. :/ I swear Sony does shit just to piss people off. It's almost as if they just don't fucking care anymore.

Just because people have money to buy a $600 console and $60 games doesn't mean they have an extra $$$ to spend on a $15 bluetooth headset. Get over your self you Damn Richer!

comrade

yellowjacket said:
Another stealth update, when you download something now it tells you how long until it finishes. If that was there before I completely missed it.
You could press Information and see how many MB's of the total it had downloaded. Estimating how much time is left seemed like the next logical step. Glad they did it. (if that's what you mean.)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nope, thats new!

The good thing about the chat is that you can be in the chat room and then press the PS button to make it go away. When you press the PS button again, the chat room is instantly displayed, no waiting at all. Nifty.

Seems ok to me. Not sure what the drama is all about... ??? Some of you sound like you want Xbox Live. Why not just use Xbox Live? Don't whine that Sony isn't catering to the lowest common denominator. I doubt they ever will. (Thankfully.)

EDIT: Just watched the video re: 2.7. The purchased video back-up and interoperability with the PSP is great.

Slavik81

-PXG- said:
Because bots play absolutely NOTHING like human players.

Micromegas said:
Seems ok to me. Not sure what the drama is all about... ??? Some of you sound like you want Xbox Live. Why not just use Xbox Live? Don't whine that Sony isn't catering to the lowest common denominator. I doubt they ever will. (Thankfully.)
You are dumb.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The copy/paste function means we can now hook up a mouse and actually use it the way it's meant to be used

Micromegas said:

sigh.

DuckRacer

Micromegas said:
Hahahaha. Either you're joking or you're beyond help.

Also, the new content and most popular lists in the PS Store now have scrollbars, so you can see more info. I don't think those were there before

The browser's much faster, too

Is PSN still free?

Oh it is? Okay, because from all the complaining I'm reading, I thought maybe they started charging for it.

I see no reason to cry about features that come free to us by firmware updates, but maybe that's just me?

No_Style

-PXG- said:

You can talk. Just that not everyone will respond. Most of the time I mute those who talk.

"Don't tell me what to do!"

Tom Penny

drakesfortune said:
PS2 BC confirmed!

Word

2r6jf4l.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ah, so the text chat DOES display on the screen when your playing the game, in the form of bubbles. Awesome!

And yes that PS Store screen is a joke.

UFRA

chubigans said:
Ah, so the text chat DOES display on the screen when your playing the game, in the form of bubbles. Awesome!

And yes that PS Store screen is a joke.

Yes, nice feature. Although probably the reason for the 32 character limit maybe? :\

Speevy

Banned
You can say

peeve
peer
peed
speed

and any other regular word containing pee, but when you use a word not in the language, that happens to contains the word "pee", you're censored.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
a Master Ninja said:
You are dumb.

Real, real dumb.

lowrider007 said:
I can confirm this also, much faster, and also I don't seem to be suffering from any web browsing freezes any more which used to be quite a common occurrence before.

This is awesome. Off to try it when KillZone high ends.

jonabbey

Speevy said:
You can say

peeve
peer
peed
speed

and any other regular word containing pee, but when you use a word not in the language, that happens to contains the word "pee", you're censored.

Ahhhh. That makes sense, in an epic fail kind of way. Clever of them to go to those lengths to screw with peoples' communication.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
chubigans said:
Wow the browser is a LOT faster. Hulu loads up nearly instantly. Took about 12 seconds for the last firmware.

I can confirm this also, much faster, and also I don't seem to be suffering from any web browsing freezes any more which used to be quite a common occurrence before.

Friends List:- Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.- Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.- Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.Gamer Card & Trophies:- Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.- Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting ?Recent Trophy History? option.- Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background- Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.In-Game XMB:- Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.- ?Theme settings? options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.- Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.- Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.- Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.Misc:- Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements.

Here's what I've noticed so far that I didn't see mentioned yet:

BROWSER:
-Seems faster/better
-copy+paste text = cool (yay I can read spoilers on ps3!), but as you can see from above, it's not perfect

TROPHIES
- Seems a little faster, the layout didn't look like it changed much
- The best thing I've seen in this firmware so far : When I compare trophies to someone else, the games they/I haven't played show up with a '-' instead of showing 0%. Now I can tell who sucks at a game vs who hasn't played it!
- I didn't see this 'recent trophies history' thing mentioned

IN GAME
- No in game browser
- Items that are not accessible do not appear as grayed out

WTFS
- Clock... this must be a running gag at sony which they never intend to fix
- The 'more game info' option by clicking a game just does a google search with that games name... fucking useless. I tried it on Worms, and the first link was just some wiki on actual worms. retarded.

I haven't tried the text chat, but overall nothing too special this update. At least it downloaded fast! Total time for me was like ~5min

Top Bottom