• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 goes live on April 30th

Dingy

Neo Member
PS3 doesn't even show vita and ps4 users online.

Notifies you about messages you've read on ps4 as unread and you have to manually delete or open each individually.

Can't receive picture attachments from ps4 not sure about vita.

And quite a few other things aswell. It sorta seems Sony has abandoned it :/

I hope they will fix this things you mention in a future PS3 Firmware Update.
I also want the same "Massgae-App" on PS3 like on PS4/Vita.

I have usually 50 friends online on PS4, on PS3 it only shows like 6 of them. I stopped bothering with PS3 friend system because of that, shame because PS3's friendlist trumps PS4 friendlist.

PS4 friendlist downsides:
1. slow loading, pushes you back to the top if it wasn't done loading, so annoyinh
2. no motto like on PS3, why is this removed? Inconceivable
3. displays like 5 friends at a time in a small box
4. Hidden away under what seems like an app, not part of the homescreen

For these things to change, they need to redesign the whole UI, it's a mess, with 20 games in my library, I already start to experience the shitty horizontal design.

Winter John

Like most people, I would just like mp3/mp4 playback and a decent YouTube app. I don't understand why those aren't already on there, but I hope they sort it out before the end of the year

Melchiah

I don't know what he means exactly, but in my case, i got an issue when moving through the screenshots in preview mode (Triangle and then L1/R1) suddenly the next screenshot will be shown all black and i need to exit and re-enter the preview mode to see the shot.

Same here. The problem started after the February update.

ChrisW

I wish when hovering the "friends" tab on the home screen, you could use the right thumb stick to scroll the list of people instead of having to go into the app, takes to make button pressed to see who's online and what they are playing.

Trying to join someone on BF4 from the friends list takes about 1 minute for it to show the "Join" option

MavFan619

Banned
Like most people, I would just like mp3/mp4 playback and a decent YouTube app. I don't understand why those aren't already on there, but I hope they sort it out before the end of the year
If I'm not mistaken isn't it up to YouTube to make a YouTube app? Though I certainly want media playback as well.

I wish when hovering the "friends" tab on the home screen, you could use the right thumb stick to scroll the list of people instead of having to go into the app, takes to make button pressed to see who's online and what they are playing.

Trying to join someone on BF4 from the friends list takes about 1 minute for it to show the "Join" option

Yup, this would definitely be great.

Melchiah

I wish I could delete captured screenshots in the preview mode. It would be far more convenient than how it's now, as you can't even preview the images in the deletion mode.

NeoRausch

I know it won't happen in this update but they really need to get rid of that 'scroll trough'-UI for games and apps. or at least folders.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Or 1.71 when 1.70 bricks some PS4 systems...

Well, there's 7M consoles sold so far. If -- let's say -- 2% of install base breaks per year, it means that nearly 400 consoles are broken every day. When you download the firmware and happen to be one of those 400, you will put two and two together getting five, and deduce that the FW update bricked your console. And then you go on Twitter, Facebook and every possibl forum telling that Sony's FW update bricked your console. And then Polygon makes a news story of how Sony's FW update bricks consoles.

And this is how legends are born.

Massa

PS3 doesn't even show vita and ps4 users online.

Notifies you about messages you've read on ps4 as unread and you have to manually delete or open each individually.

Can't receive picture attachments from ps4 not sure about vita.

And quite a few other things aswell. It sorta seems Sony has abandoned it :/

Your issues are all PSN related, Sony simply didn't have PS3's limitations restrict what PSN on PS4 and Vita is.

They're still actively working on PS3 in both OS and even hardware, though the focus is on Gaikai tech.

Linconan

I hope the new firmware fixes the 'grey screen' when viewing screenshots.

Do you know what causes it?

Mine does it now and then, but always comes good if i let it sit there for awhile (about a min) before opening one up.
It never used to do it, but then i started noticing it a month or so ago. weird.

Mine does it now and then, but always comes good if i let it sit there for awhile (about a min) before opening one up.
It never used to do it, but then i started noticing it a month or so ago. weird.

Yeah never used to do it for me and just started recently.
Sorry, don't know what causes it. Something with the HDD maybe?

Edit: it started with infamous SS, so it's fairly recent. Yesterday I browsing through my Tomb Raider screens and none of them would load until I closed down the app and I think I may have restarted the console.

Linconan

Edit: it started with infamous SS, so it's fairly recent.

Are you talking about when you noticed it happening? because i'm pretty sure mine was doing that before Infamous:SS release. I could be wrong though..

Either way, hopefully with this new Editor, they've sussed out all the minor bugs.
Can't wait to hit the Editor, Vids and Pics. LOL

Are you talking about when you noticed it happening? because i'm pretty sure mine was doing that before Infamous:SS release. I could be wrong though..

Either way, hopefully with this new Editor, they've sussed out all the minor bugs.
Can't wait to hit the Editor, Vids and Pics. LOL

Yeah, it started to when I was browsing through my infamous grabs. Didn't happen before that for me.

I've read others on this forum who get it as well.

Update will be sweet.

Tsundere

Banned

It's most likely a caching thing.

breakfuss

So with this update we should be able to export raw footage to an external HDD? Or we'll still need a separate capture device?

Dinjooh

So with this update we should be able to export raw footage to an external HDD? Or we'll still need a separate capture device?

You'll still get whatever quality the share function provides, but you'll get around further compression from third parties (facebook, twitter etc)

That's how I understood it atleast.

Shin-Ra

Live streaming now offers HD720p quality (at an unknown bitrate and efficiency) but it's not known if other recording features have improved in quality from before.

Respawn

Banned
I have usually 50 friends online on PS4, on PS3 it only shows like 6 of them. I stopped bothering with PS3 friend system because of that, shame because PS3's friendlist trumps PS4 friendlist.

PS4 friendlist downsides:
1. slow loading, pushes you back to the top if it wasn't done loading, so annoyinh
2. no motto like on PS3, why is this removed? Inconceivable
3. displays like 5 friends at a time in a small box
4. Hidden away under what seems like an app, not part of the homescreen

For these things to change, they need to redesign the whole UI, it's a mess, with 20 games in my library, I already start to experience the shitty horizontal design.
Its perfectly fne how it is [The motto thing I give you but be patient something so many of you seem to lack]. Also slow loading? Comes right up istantaneously for me.

Shin-Ra

I wonder when SCEJ will start developing Torne for PS4. With the secondary custom chip there should be a lot more flexibility in low-power modes and background tasks.

I wonder if they'll try to release it in Europe too. SCEE Cambridge developed PlayTV I think but support dropped relatively quickly. As Torne's been very successful, it makes sense to start with that and just localise region unique features.

ron_bato

Yeah never used to do it for me and just started recently.
Sorry, don't know what causes it. Something with the HDD maybe?

Edit: it started with infamous SS, so it's fairly recent. Yesterday I browsing through my Tomb Raider screens and none of them would load until I closed down the app and I think I may have restarted the console.

It started with Tomb Raider: DE for me, so I think it's been going on for a while now.

mf.luder

I'm also experiencing the expanding library. What if we had the option for folders (yes, previously discussed) but what about a folder that would automatically put a game you haven't played in X weeks there?

I wonder when SCEJ will start developing Torne for PS4. With the secondary custom chip there should be a lot more flexibility in low-power modes and background tasks.

I wonder if they'll try to release it in Europe too. SCEE Cambridge developed PlayTV I think but support dropped relatively quickly. As Torne's been very successful, it makes sense to start with that and just localise region unique features.

Support was there for quite a while with the additional series link and TV chat functions added at a cost. It puzzled me that Sony never announced a HD version and hope that they might do something with the PS4 similar.

Melchiah

I'm also experiencing the expanding library. What if we had the option for folders (yes, previously discussed) but what about a folder that would automatically put a game you haven't played in X weeks there?

Sounds like a good idea. I think 3-5 last played games visible on the bar would be an optimal amount.

Shin-Ra

Support was there for quite a while with the additional series link and TV chat functions added at a cost. It puzzled me that Sony never announced a HD version and hope that they might do something with the PS4 similar.
The PlayTV decoder supported HD broadcasts in parts of Europe but not the UK.

SCEJ should try to support Torne v.1 hardware if possible, with expanded functionality and sleekness with new PS4 exclusive hardware.

mf.luder

Sounds like a good idea. I think 3-5 last played games visible on the bar would be an optimal amount.

What would be really cool, and just thinking of this now, is if you clicked the trackpad, it brought up a 'hotkey' menu. Swipe up for game X, wipe down for app Y. This would also be customizable.

This is also in addition to being able to scroll through lists with the touchpad.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Well, there's 7M consoles sold so far. If -- let's say -- 2% of install base breaks per year, it means that nearly 400 consoles are broken every day. When you download the firmware and happen to be one of those 400, you will put two and two together getting five, and deduce that the FW update bricked your console. And then you go on Twitter, Facebook and every possibl forum telling that Sony's FW update bricked your console. And then Polygon makes a news story of how Sony's FW update bricks consoles.

And this is how legends are born.

lol :D

When they add a folder structure, I just hope the voice commands won't only work for the main list you have in the menu now.
Saying the name of a game should still take you to that game even if it's buried in a folder.

The PlayTV decoder supported HD broadcasts in parts of Europe but not the UK.

SCEJ should try to support Torne v.1 hardware if possible, with expanded functionality and sleekness with new PS4 exclusive hardware.

That's because PlayTV has a DVB-T Tuner

UK uses DVB-T2 for HDTV....

Twinduct

When they add a folder structure, I just hope the voice commands won't only work for the main list you have in the menu now.
Saying the name of a game should still take you to that game even if it's buried in a folder.

Man I should really start using the voice com stuff. Still not completely comfortable just talking out loud to myself

AndyD

aka andydumi

That would be nice. Few recent games show up, the rest are in the library.

And I also like the idea above of using the touchpad for stuff. Click it for a quick menu with quick action icons.

Jonnax

Was PlayTV any good? Looking at how laggy the video streaming apps on PS3, I can't imagine it would be the smoothest experience.

Was PlayTV any good? Looking at how laggy the video streaming apps on PS3, I can't imagine it would be the smoothest experience.

Very Good DVB-T Receiver, supported HDTV from the first day here in Italy. It can record a Channel while watching another one. (Dual-Tuner).
Some updates were behind a paywall (TV Guide)

Yes it was great, the worst thing about it was the boot time tbh. Sony missed a trick and should have had a dedicated button on the remote control to boot directly in to PlayTV rather than having to boot up and then choose PlayTV you were talking close on to a minute from turning on the machine to watching something.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Man I should really start using the voice com stuff. Still not completely comfortable just talking out loud to myself

ya I never use it as I feel like an idiot talking to myself. it does work well in TR:DC though for the map

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I don't think they'll bother with a PS4 dependent hardware solution. They have Nasne in Japan which is a headless standalone recorder that you interface with from your Vita or PS3.

I don't know if they have already released the Torne software on PS4 but if not, they will soon.

I'd love a Nasne equivalent for Europe. Record HD on a big HDD and stream to your PS4/Vita/tablet/laptop/smart TV

I hope the new firmware fixes the 'grey screen' when viewing screenshots.

I get that as well, though they occasionally come up properly for reasons unknown (watching videos or something.)

But if you view your pictures under "ALL" category, they're viewable.
It's just when you go into the specific game folders to view the pictures, is when you run into that issue.
Actually you might still get the grey screen if you try and flip through the pictures too fast using the shoulder buttons. Not sure on that, didn't actually test to try and break it.

For minimal voice interaction you can operate the PS4 like this:
- Press L2 on the main screen
- say the name of the game out loud (it will go to the game it thinks you've said)
- press X to start (or check for DLC etc.).
Fastest way to find a game (and launch it) which could be helpful once folders & games accumulate over the years.

As a non-native speaker, it even recognizes my English commands but then you realize you don't know how to properly pronounce certain games... :D
The good thing is you don't have to actually say "Final Fantasy Fourteen" or "Killzone Shadow Fall" but just Final Fantasy or Killzone.

Jonnax

I don't think they'll bother with a PS4 dependent hardware solution. They have Nasne in Japan which is a headless standalone recorder that you interface with from your Vita or PS3.

I don't know if they have already released the Torne software on PS4 but if not, they will soon.

I'd love a Nasne equivalent for Europe. Record HD on a big HDD and stream to your PS4/Vita/tablet/laptop/smart TV

There was a guy on neogaf who connected quite a few dots that implied that Sony was waiting on DLNA 2.0 to be finalised before releasing it for PS4.

Talking about headless TV streaming have a look at this video of a cable box being used on a PS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAuxCGOz6po

Top Bottom