• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 goes live on April 30th

Meaning? A Thumbnail? Does any player do that?
The PS3 did, amongst others. (It's as simple as including a small image file on the disc that the player can identify to showcase. Though with the current grid tiles on the PS4 only newer BD titles would have the appropriate thumbnail size.)

Gattsu25

Banned
Yup, wonder what is taking so long for the youtube app. The youtube web site is ass as far as UI is concerned. I love the youtube apps, and being able to watch youtube videos on my 42 inch in HD is a sight to behold.

Watching freddie wong videos on the big screen is classy.
http://YouTube.com/tv

It's the same as the ps3 ui but due to no native controller support is still a pain to navigate

Tsundere

Banned
The PS3 did, amongst others. (It's as simple as including a small image file on the disc that the player can identify to showcase. Though with the current grid tiles on the PS4 only newer BD titles would have the appropriate thumbnail size.)

Rarely played Blu-Rays on my PS3 (only at the start) and when I did I don't think I ever left it on the home screen long enough for it to load any thumbnails. And on my standalone players they auto load the movie.

But I guess it could be a neat addition, but hardly a priority since it's entirely aesthetic.

When should we expect a Ps Blog post confirming all the additional features??

Expect highlighting the main features of the Firmware, and perhaps additional information on the more key changes. But as for "all" changes, it'll either be in the Firmware notes, or stealth.

andycapps

Sony is reading.

Good, I'd like to keep the HDMI and optical output at the same time that it currently has, but obviously I want the optical to output surround sound. I like being able to have sound on my TV if I don't feel like turning on my receiver, without having to fiddle with settings every time I want to do that.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Pair the website with your phone and you can select the video on the youtube app and have it play on the tv.

I have this webpage as default website on my PS4 browser. I don't need an app for watching youtube video, it even works in the background!

Sure a app would be nice to have, but youtube integrated in the OS would me much nicer to have.

Shin-Ra

I don't think they'll allow that. Imagine some little brother or sister getting on your PS4 account and deleting games you have platinums in. *Nightmare fuel*

They can do it like Xbox has done for ages; let you delete games there are no achievements/trophies in.
Trophies 'deleted' could first be moved to a deletion list where they remain until 1, 3 or 6 months have passed and of course you could undelete from the separate list if you change your mind. A Notification could remind you a few days before permanent deletion. You'd also need to reenter your PSN password when first deleting.

rafaelr

Has anyone tried Apps that exist for PS3 and PS4 on both systems? How do they compare performance-wise?

I am streaming NBA games through the gametime app on PS3/4 and i constantly (10-15mins) have to restart streams on the PS4 version, while on the PS3 i can watch complete games mostly without any interruptions. The app itself seems identical functionality-wise but performance, it´s no contest so far.

So are there more apps that have these issues and is it system or app specific, what do you think/know?

FireCloud

Has anyone tried Apps that exist for PS3 and PS4 on both systems? How do they compare performance-wise?

I am streaming NBA games through the gametime app on PS3/4 and i constantly (10-15mins) have to restart streams on the PS4 version, while on the PS3 i can watch complete games mostly without any interruptions. The app itself seems identical functionality-wise but performance, it´s no contest so far.

So are there more apps that have these issues and is it system or app specific, what do you think/know?

Of the apps I've used on PS4 that are also on PS3, my experience has been that the PS4 apps are better.

• Netflix
  • Amazon Video
  • Crunchyroll
  • Crackle

Especially Crunchroll. The PS3 app would crash after watching three episodes back-to-back. I haven't had that issue with the PS4.

I don't have any of the sport apps subscriptions however. There may be something with how they are implemented on PS4 that makes them inferior. I don't know.

The PS4 does have some sort of networking issue with streaming apps though. Sometimes the Live from PlayStation app stops streaming. Sometimes I can get it corrected until I shutdown the PS4 and restart other times restarting the app is sufficient.

Pillville

Instead of deleting trophies, how about a "Hide" switch?

Set a trophy to "hidden" and it won't show up in your trophies list. Then have a "Hidden Trophies List" where you can see all those hidden trophies and "Un-Hide" them if/when you want.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They'll probably put up a video detailing what's in it right before or as the firmware is going up.

j-wood

They never publicly mention everything.

Well it seemed like they should when they say stuff like:

"And this is only a few of the things in this update, which has something for everyone! We'll share more of the features in the weeks to come."

Good, I'd like to keep the HDMI and optical output at the same time that it currently has, but obviously I want the optical to output surround sound. I like being able to have sound on my TV if I don't feel like turning on my receiver, without having to fiddle with settings every time I want to do that.

All I ask is a simple OPTION to disable it, like PS3 had. I don't have any audio problem with my PS3, why can they copy the same settings for PS4?

Right now LPCM multichannel via HDMI on games is broken (No center Channel) and Optical multi-channel is broken with any format because I can't stop HDMI audio from going to the TV HDMI port.

Personally, I want less button prompts to do things. It takes way too many button presses to create a party and then even more unnecessary presses to invite someone. When the join party icon pops up, I should be able to hold the button down and then it will automatically join the party for me without having to go to the party screen.

As far as I know, all the games seem to have the join option, so it should be very easy to implement a game invite message. It would be nothing more than a link to the session.

Far as I'm concerned this is the lazy nonsense that brought out the Kinect for navigation on the Xbox. 5 button press, my god what an effort!

This should the on the very lowest rung of the priority ladder in my opinion. Long as a option is in a menu, in an obvious place, that is good enough.

Maybe further along they can create custom sub menus where you can pin your favorite functions. But until then, they should concentrate on actual features.

Liamario

Banned
Far as I'm concerned this is the lazy nonsense that brought out the Kinect for navigation on the Xbox. 5 button press, my god what an effort!

This should the on the very lowest rung of the priority ladder in my opinion. Long as a option is in a menu, in an obvious place, that is good enough.

Maybe further along they can create custom sub menus where you can pin your favorite functions. But until then, they should concentrate on actual features.

This sort of thing was on the 360 since 2005! Quick, easy and intuitive.

Shin-Ra

Umm yes they always detail the firmware in the blog, and they will this week for 1.7 close to launch.
PlayStation Blog rarely if ever details everything. You usually have to visit a couple of regional PlayStation.com sites to get the full breakdown on feature updates, some region specific and even then some very minor things aren't always detailed.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This sort of thing was on the 360 since 2005! Quick, easy and intuitive.

yup...there is a ton of contextual stuff that the 360 does that i would love to see in PS4. for example, one button game and party invites (use that damn triangle button!). instead we have to send out an invite like we are sending a message.

PlayStation Blog rarely if ever details everything. You usually have to visit a couple of regional PlayStation.com sites to get the full breakdown on feature updates, some region specific and even then some very minor things aren't always detailed.

release notes have been pretty good on ps4 for both games and firmware

quickwhips

yup...there is a ton of contextual stuff that the 360 does that i would love to see in PS4. for example, one button game and party invites (use that damn triangle button!). instead we have to send out an invite like we are sending a message.

You are my hero I feel the same way...also can we have notifications disappear after i have read them or can't take the invite anymore....

SHADES

Sometimes, yes it can be an effort. Say your in the middle of a firefight or a decent run on whatever MP game you're in and you get a party invite from someone that's just joined your game so having them on comms ASAP is beneficial but having to wait until you die to join the party because it does take a fair bit longer than the 360 set up to join/start parties.

This happens to me every time my playing partner jumps in with me whilst on BF4 so I don't think laziness would be an issue if they made the process quicker to begin with.

Shin-Ra

They probably won't detail the on-screen keyboard and maybe the avatar setting additions for example.

Hmm really?? don't ever recall that being the case.

B_Boss

So here's the question......given the newly released video editing app, can we (or perhaps should we) expect the Share/Capturing function on the PS4 to be fixed? I sure as hell hope so...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
friend notifications confirmed.
jk
No friend notifications is my favorite thing. They drove me nuts on PS3 with the constant X is Online, X is Offline but turning them off got rid of ALL notifications so I missed a lot of messages. If I need to know if someone is online, I'll check. I hope I can keep them off and/or customize them.

No friend notifications is my favorite thing. They drove me nuts on PS3 with the constant X is Online, X is Offline but turning them off got rid of ALL notifications so I missed a lot of messages. If I need to know if someone is online, I'll check. I hope I can keep them off and/or customize them.

It's drives me NUTS that it doesn't have it. I don't know when my buddy's log in and they don't know when I do unless they explicitly and periodically check and we've missed opportunities to play together as a result. The simple solution so this is exactly like Microsoft is doing and you can create sub sets of your friend list to enable all notifications for.

There's no way that if friends coming online/going offline came to PS4 that it would be an on/off system. There's way too many potential friends(2000) for that to happen now.

The friends logging off notification was so dumb. It never should have been there. Thankfully they left it off the Vita.

There's no way that if friends coming online/going offline came to PS4 that it would be an on/off system. There's way too many potential friends(2000) for that to happen now.

The XB1 already has it figured out. You can mark certain friends as "favorites". In the notifications settings you can choose just favorites to show up, or all.

The friends logging off notification was so dumb. It never should have been there. Thankfully they left it off the Vita.

The XB1 already has it figured out. You can mark certain friends as "favorites". In the notifications settings you can choose just favorites to show up, or all.

seriously pre ps4 release, sony showed off a video, i think gin has it and they done a rewind on it. friends app had the favourite logo on the right, and they said maybe its favourite, you don't want 2k friends popping up saying he is off, he is on. Why isn't that in the ps4?

Top Bottom