• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 goes live on April 30th

Fnord

Now that HDCP will be switched off, can i ask any of the more knowledgeable in the field, if this means i can use a receiver with my ps4?

Currently i have my ps3 hooked up to my tv, and my ps4 hooked up to my monitor, but i would like to hook up both my ps3 and ps4 to my monitor via a receiver i purchased, (2 input, 1 output) so whenever i am done watching netflix on my ps3 on tv, i just have to switch the hdmi cable on the back of my ps3, rather than fiddle around the underside of my monitor.

The issue i am having is that, with the ps4 attached via the receiver, after about 15 minutes to half an hour it starts flickering, very badly. Sony have said the ps4 does not work with receivers after i phoned up support.

Ps3 never has this issue btw, never flickers at all using the receiver.

My PS4 works perfectly with my receiver. Even turns it on (if necessary) and switches to the correct input when I turn the PS4 on. Never had an audio problem at all with it.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I'm surprised to see this info coming out of Japan.

My understanding was that Japan handled ps3 software and the move to ps4 would also move firmware development to the US.

Do we know where the firmware is being developed?

always in japan but with ps4 a lot of western input from internal studios.

RedAssedApe

Banned
oops posted in the old thread...

well here is another confirmation from Europe.

English Community Manager at PlayStation Europe
Chris Owen ‏@Envisager_ 22m
Heads-up: PS4 firmware update 1.70, inc. SHAREfactory and HDCP Off, goes live on 30th April. More soon!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yup, wonder what is taking so long for the youtube app. The youtube web site is ass as far as UI is concerned. I love the youtube apps, and being able to watch youtube videos on my 42 inch in HD is a sight to behold.

Watching freddie wong videos on the big screen is classy.

i just end up using my paired phone or tablet to navigate or search content. youtube/tv is so non-intuitive i always press the wrong things haha

Looks like there still might be stuff they still haven't announced

@IrishViperr 7m
@Envisager_ What else is in 1.70 ? Any ideas,It seems to be all about share factory and the ability to remove HDCP is that all that's in it?

Chris Owen
‏@Envisager_
@IrishViperr Not at all, we will be releasing more details before the release.

although it could just be the stuff we already know about that they haven't talked about explicitly

amardilo

My PS4 works perfectly with my receiver. Even turns it on (if necessary) and switches to the correct input when I turn the PS4 on. Never had an audio problem at all with it.

Did you do anything special (or turn any settings on/off) to get the PS4 to turn your receiver on? My receiver (some 3/4 year old Onkyo AV receiver) turns on with my Xbox One but not my PS4. I have HDMI control turned on on the PS4 but it doesn't turn on my receiver or my TV.

Hasney

But will we be able to pause downloads yet...? Preloading is useless if we can't even pause a download.

Why would that make it useless? If I'm preloading, surely I'd want it all downloaded and not being able to pause it wouldn't take away from that?

I'm not saying that pausing in general wouldn't be useful to those with slower connections, but genuinely curious as to pausing pertaining to pre-loading specifically.

Shin-Ra

I think the 'X' to close is new for the system keyboard? Looks like a new hard return button by R2/Done.

Also L2+Triangle shortcut for less common characters and the SIXAXIS/DPAD typing switch button looks different, probably changes depending which you're currently using.

CURRENT
ibvIaUHp9SQN8k.png

ibs98OMrwxgKCm.png

Unless the Japanese keyboard already has this.

Hasney

The only keyboard thing I would want is if I'm using a physical keyboard and then move the joypad, it doesn't mean I now want to use the virtual keyboard, it means I want to navigate away from that field.

MavFan619

Banned
About damn time. Took you long enough Soony.

TBH pretty lackluster set of features though. After having to wait this long I was expecting much more than whats showed in that video.
Really? I think ShareFactory alone as a substantial expansion of the share tools is going to be really nice to mess around in. But if you don't get much use out of share I can see how this firmware is thin. I can't wait for some media features. Then again if we were to get every single desired feature at once in one update I don't think that update would have been right around the corner happy this one is.

Shin-Ra

Might be good if the numbers changed when SHIFTing just like a regular keyboard.

!@£$%^&*()

I think the windowed streaming view has a more vertically compact chat log now too in addition to fullscreen split having sidebar chat with darker background

HD Streaming [and niconico for Japan]

USB SHARE is for screenshots and video clips

Shin-Ra

They should put the camera and mic graphics beside the camera feed so there's an extra line for chat.

Number of viewers and chat messages (do we need the latter?) could go there too.

Now that HDCP will be switched off, can i ask any of the more knowledgeable in the field, if this means i can use a receiver with my ps4?

Currently i have my ps3 hooked up to my tv, and my ps4 hooked up to my monitor, but i would like to hook up both my ps3 and ps4 to my monitor via a receiver i purchased, (2 input, 1 output) so whenever i am done watching netflix on my ps3 on tv, i just have to switch the hdmi cable on the back of my ps3, rather than fiddle around the underside of my monitor.

The issue i am having is that, with the ps4 attached via the receiver, after about 15 minutes to half an hour it starts flickering, very badly. Sony have said the ps4 does not work with receivers after i phoned up support.

Err...could be a handshake issue but the PS4 usually works fine with AV Receivers like my Sony STR DH820. Mabe you need a new receiver. And wtf Sony saying the PS4 doesn't work with receivers! Unless they just meant your model, which I doubt.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

This sounds like a problem with your receiver, I have a Yamaha and have never had a single issue.

Vashetti

Banned
I want SIMPLE features like being able to pause/resume downloads and the ability to alphabetise the Trophy list (as well as save a local version to the console so we don't have to be online to see them).

Sweep14

I'm surprised to see this info coming out of Japan.

My understanding was that Japan handled ps3 software and the move to ps4 would also move firmware development to the US.

Do we know where the firmware is being developed?

Firmware are developped by SCEJ

Majanew

Banned

There's some kind of issue with your receiver and PS4 (may be a handshake issue). My PS4 has been hooked to my Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH since day one and I've had zero issues.

I was having a slight handshake issue with my receiver and the Xbox One. If my Xbox One was on and I switched the receiver to another input and then switched back to the Xbox One input, the audio would crackle badly cutting in and out. I haven't run into that issue since one of the updates so I'm not sure if anything changed.

mitchman

Gold Member

The PS4 works just fine with receivers, I've used it with 2 of mine. Either they misunderstood what you were asking about or you did. If the handshake issues is due to HDCP, the firmware might help as you can disable HDCP. But to me it sounds like a receiver issue, what receiver is this? Onkyo? Tried looking for a new firmware for it?

Kysen

I think the 'X' to close is new for the system keyboard? Looks like a new hard return button by R2/Done.

Unless the Japanese keyboard already has this.

Every version of the PS firmware is the same, you can change to the JP keyboard in the settings at any time. Yes this looks new.

NinjaBoiX

I don't care about any of this stuff, superfluous cack IMO, waste of time and effort.

How about just making it function like the old XMB? I want to be able to do really complex stuff like, um, play mp3's and put stuff in folders.

I know it's a lot to ask...

Shin-Ra

I don't care about any of this stuff, superfluous cack IMO, waste of time and effort.

How about just making it function like the old XMB? I want to be able to do really complex stuff like, um, play mp3's and put stuff in folders.

I know it's a lot to ask...
I give this a 7 on the irritatometer. Congratulations!

Not exactly SCEJ which is just a software publisher, but it is developed in Japan by a separate group within SCEI.
Which firmware? The ARM code running in the Second custom chip as Southbridge or the WebGL and AMD X-86 code that calls ARM APIs. There can be two firmwares this time and it might cause confusion.

I found Epic's announcement that they, with support from both Microsoft and Sony have; Epic opens up their Unreal development tools to everyone with a $19 subscription service." and 5% royalties (PS4 and XB1 to be negotiated).

Support for: PS4, XB1, Linux (Steam), PC, iOS, Android, Mac and HTML5

"A quote from Epic’s Tim Sweeney, the wizard behind the Unreal Engine, talking about something I’ve been saying for years — that the performance gulf separating ever-improving mobile devices from their comparably inert set-top peers is on the way out. Think tectonic shifts that make mobile gaming’s recent past seem tame. Here’s Sweeney:"

"With the introduction of this revolutionary processor (Tegra K1), we can take applications that run on PC or console and run it on Tegra. From here onward, I think we’re going to see the performance and feature gap between mobile and PC high-end gaming continue to narrow to the point where the difference between the platforms really blurs."
This is the year the "Connected Home", Game streaming and casual games, (HTML5 - WebGL and Android) start. In part because ARM and mobile GPUs have evolved to be similar in performance to last generation consoles and in part because of HTML5 <video> and DLNA CVP2.

Top Bottom