• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 goes live on April 30th

always in japan but with ps4 a lot of western input from internal studios.

This seems so strange to me considering the population base in NA and Europe is much much larger than JP (I know it's been out longer but even those media create sales trends look bleak) Why hasn't Sony moved the firmware team to the west and catered more to the tastes of their larger pool of players. Youtube support priority instead of niconico for one.

Metfanant

an option for it? sure why not. But hell no. It was the worst part of PS3 and 360 IMHO. I honestly couldn't care less if they log on unless it happens to be in a game I'm already in in which case more than likely I'll get an invite already. I don't need the redundancy of "your friend logged in. your friend sent you an invite." and if they don't send me an invite or aren't even in that game... umm.. I probably don't really care that they logged in then.

Absolutely an option for it..everything should be optional...

Shin-Ra

I honestly couldn't care less if they log on unless it happens to be in a game I'm already in in which case more than likely I'll get an invite already.
That's a good idea, if it just told you that a friend's online in the same game as you.

With the option to disable HDCP in the upcoming firmware update, how would you rate the purchase of the Elgato HD Game Capture device for recording gameplay videos off of PS4?

PSYGN

This update seems a bit extraneous in features besides HDCP removal. I want some basic, core improvements. Hopefully the next update will focus more on some of the recurring options/features users are asking for, unless there's more to this update than I am reading.

Lady Gaia

Now that HDCP will be switched off, can i ask any of the more knowledgeable in the field, if this means i can use a receiver with my ps4?

I have no problems with my PS4 and Denon receiver. Have you checked to see if there's a firmware update available for your receiver? On a more positive note, you may find that turning off HDCP does help if your screen goes completely black occasionally and then comes back. That's a pretty typical symptom of HDCP handshaking issues (... which I do get with my Wii U for some reason I haven't yet sorted out.)

KalBalboa

Banned
This update seems a bit extraneous in features besides HDCP removal. I want some basic, core improvements. Hopefully the next update will focus more on some of the recurring options/features users are asking for, unless there's more to this update than I am reading.

They usually don't announce the less-than-sexy stuff, typically. We now know that comments during video streams are no longer limited to the two-at-a-time below the video thanks to some screenshots from the Japanese post, and that wasn't detailed anywhere as far as I know.

Things like the streaming archive options are what I consider core improvements, too. I bet we'll see a few other small details like that once April 30th hits.

On Demand

Banned
This seems so strange to me considering the population base in NA and Europe is much much larger than JP (I know it's been out longer but even those media create sales trends look bleak) Why hasn't Sony moved the firmware team to the west and catered more to the tastes of their larger pool of players. Youtube support priority instead of niconico for one.

This exactly. That's probably one of the reason why most requested features take so long to be released. They have to go through Japan first.

mitchman

Gold Member

That reminds me.. What options are available if you do not want to record directly to a PC, but rather to a USB drive or similar? Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket seems like one option, but having a remote control to start recording would be good (and it doesn't appear to have that).

Liamario

Banned
Personally, I want less button prompts to do things. It takes way too many button presses to create a party and then even more unnecessary presses to invite someone. When the join party icon pops up, I should be able to hold the button down and then it will automatically join the party for me without having to go to the party screen.

As far as I know, all the games seem to have the join option, so it should be very easy to implement a game invite message. It would be nothing more than a link to the session.

I want to be able to permanently mute asshats on a system level. The speed at which profiles come up is WAAAYYY too slow and then when it does, there's no option to mute player. Implement it please.

The players met list is absolutely gobsmackingly awful. The most recent players met for me are a week old. This should be constantly updated and I can't fathom why it isn't.

All these things seem very basic to me and it's disappointing that they weren't there from day one.

abrack08

Yess, I was hoping this would hit before MLB The Show PS4. I really wanted it digital, but I also wanted to play it ASAP, now I (hopefully) can pre-load it.

FireCloud

Apart from a few hardcore fans .. hdcp off suport is nothing special.. who cares but a few?

While I agree with you that only a small fraction of the PS4 users will use support for HDCP off, Sony may believe that that feature will have a larger impact on the PS4 than the other firmware features. This, and support for coping video to USB, will allow users to upload their captured videos to Youtube which has a much broader audience than Facebook.

I don't know if we'll see direct Youtube uploading in the future. Microsoft may have struck a deal with Google for console video uploading with the XB1 and that is why Sony is suggesting to people to use USB to upload videos to Youtube. But either way, having PS4 content more easily accessible by potential buyers would be a good thing for Sony.

Given that there is cloud saving, is it possible do you think to have our saved recordings in a cloud folder temporarily (1 or 2 days) and have access to it on a computer?

NekoFever

Apart from a few hardcore fans .. hdcp off suport is nothing special.. who cares but a few?

The people who really care are the popular YouTubers and streamers, who have thousands of viewers and are an important way of raising awareness for games. It makes sense for Sony to dedicate resources to helping them out because it's going to result in more promotion of PS4 games.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
With the option to disable HDCP in the upcoming firmware update, how would you rate the purchase of the Elgato HD Game Capture device for recording gameplay videos off of PS4?

IMHO you either know you desperately need an Elgato, or you don't need one. Not much of an in between.

People use an elgato for 1080p60 recording, or streaming with their own proprietary setup (ads, professional streamer, alternate service, etc). The thing is, if you don't need any of that (and I use the word need specifically here), you are honestly better off with Sony's built in capabilities. Because if you don't do any of that stuff Sony's built-in capabilities actually give you more not to mention are much easier.

basically the people most excited about HDCP are the professional streamers and the people recording 1080p60 Let's Plays and stuff to send to youtube. IMHO everyone else is better off with Sony's tools.

Dunan

I think the 'X' to close is new for the system keyboard? Looks like a new hard return button by R2/Done.

Also L2+Triangle shortcut for less common characters and the SIXAXIS/DPAD typing switch button looks different, probably changes depending which you're currently using.

CURRENT
ibvIaUHp9SQN8k.png

ibs98OMrwxgKCm.png

Unless the Japanese keyboard already has this.

Any idea if we can input Japanese even if our system language is English?

It was mighty frustrating how the PS3 wouldn't allow you to type in Japanese unless your system language was also Japanese. When playing the FFXIV beta on a Japanese server, I kept having to switch the system language over before playing, because a lot of the Japanese players were annoyed when I'd type chat in romanized Japanese.

Kysen

Any idea if we can input Japanese even if our system language is English?

It was mighty frustrating how the PS3 wouldn't allow you to type in Japanese unless your system language was also Japanese. When playing the FFXIV beta on a Japanese server, I kept having to switch the system language over before playing, because a lot of the Japanese players were annoyed when I'd type chat in romanized Japanese.

Yes you can, go to external keyboard on the system screen and choose input languages. You need to press ALT+` (key next to 1) to switch between romaji input and English.

Was co-op via VitaTV remote play always going to be a thing? (3:00 mark). For local co-op I guess it's good if you don't have a second DS4?

Still cant turn off the annoying light on the controller?

You'll never be able to officially turn off the light but they have mentioned that you will be able to dim the light in a future update. I'm not sure if this is the update that contains that feature though.

Venfayth

I have a bad feeling that the HDCP removal will be something awkward like an option to turn it off only for games, and it won't work with the PS4 UI.

Eggbok

Can someone explain to me why I should care if HDCP can be switched off?

HDCP off is like having sex without a condom. The protection is off giving you direct access to what you want without having to buy extra equipment to do what you want to do. (stream, record, etc.)
Obviously you need a capture card with hdmi for it to even matter though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
HDCP off is like having sex without a condom. The protection is off giving you direct access to what you want without having to buy extra equipment to do what you want to do. (stream, record, etc.)
Obviously you need a capture card with hdmi for it to even matter though.

thanks.

good for those people.

I have a bad feeling that the HDCP removal will be something awkward like an option to turn it off only for games, and it won't work with the PS4 UI.

Ofcourse it'll only be for games. This should've already been built in the OS so that when you're playing a game it automatically turns off HDCP and turns it on when you are watching a Blu-ray.

Shin-Ra

Yes you can, go to external keyboard on the system screen and choose input languages. You need to press ALT+` (key next to 1) to switch between romaji input and English.
It's pretty cool. There's a dedicated on-screen keyboard button for switching too.

ioYZIIm32EmLN.gif

androvsky

Ofcourse it'll only be for games. This should've already been built in the OS so that when you're playing a game it automatically turns off HDCP and turns it on when you are watching a Blu-ray.

Doesn't Netflix require HDCP? If it turned off HDCP automatically during a game, it would force a new handshake when people switched between a game and video apps. I'm quite certain the connection resetting that much would affect more people than are bothered by having HDCP on.

Kysen

It's pretty cool. There's a dedicated on-screen keyboard button for switching too.

That switch is different to the method i'm talking about(that gif applies to controller input only). It should work like the Apple devices do and change everything but for some reason only the controller changes.

Doesn't Netflix require HDCP? If it turned off HDCP automatically during a game, it would force a new handshake when people switched between a game and video apps. I'm quite certain the connection resetting that much would affect more people than are bothered by having HDCP on.

I can guarantee you Netflix uses HDCP. And that's probably why it's a toggle instead of just disabling it.

Chaplain

I wish DLNA was a part of this patch.....

I think the fact that each feature has to be made from scratch means it will take sometime to get all of the things we are requesting.

"At the same time I found myself in the position to be the one on the forefront to the consumers and every day I get great feedback from consumers. Every morning is a humbling experience. All the features that they want on PS4… they believe that all the features that existed on PS3 should be there on day one on PS4, even though the architecture is very different and the system software guys have to make all the features one by one, so we still have a lot of work to do, but as long as we continue to talk with the consumers, I think… because there are lots of consumers, there are many people, and we can find great ideas… so as long as we continue to talk with developers including our own teams and third party developers, I think they will guide us to the right place." (Yoshida)

link

rothbart

Now that HDCP will be switched off, can i ask any of the more knowledgeable in the field, if this means i can use a receiver with my ps4?

Also, HDCP will NOT be disabled during Blu-ray playback so if your receiver isn't working well with the PS4's HDMI connection, it still probably won't when you're watching a movie.

PSYGN

Personally, I want less button prompts to do things. It takes way too many button presses to create a party and then even more unnecessary presses to invite someone. When the join party icon pops up, I should be able to hold the button down and then it will automatically join the party for me without having to go to the party screen.

As far as I know, all the games seem to have the join option, so it should be very easy to implement a game invite message. It would be nothing more than a link to the session.

I want to be able to permanently mute asshats on a system level. The speed at which profiles come up is WAAAYYY too slow and then when it does, there's no option to mute player. Implement it please.

The players met list is absolutely gobsmackingly awful. The most recent players met for me are a week old. This should be constantly updated and I can't fathom why it isn't.

All these things seem very basic to me and it's disappointing that they weren't there from day one.

Definitely. I hope the future PS4 update brings contextual intuition like that. Accepting a friend request takes like 5+ prompts/menus to go through. It's ridiculous.

Top Bottom