• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My question is: Which big publisher game gets killed by boost mode for Sony to make it an optional toggle?

Probably none.

SOMA locks up in pro mode.

Its definitely a percentage of games although obviously not the majority.

That's a good point. What's the technical reason for this? I don't understand this abstraction layer concept.

Its just Direct X. MS dont actually get as close to the hardware metal as Sony does, so they can just kinda smooth over any direct compatability issues. This goes for 360 titles as well as XB1S and even likely Scorpio

Does this improve things other than framerate? Is resolution improved in dynamic res games?

Should improve the minimum res hold in dynamic res games, yes. DOOM is dynamic resolution right?

Curious to see DF's test on that. Having tried DOOM out a bit, it holds 60 FPS way better now, especially at the later stages. But I'm not sure about how well it holds the resolution target.

Bustanen

Witcher 3 and GTAV run butter smooth now. Didn't notice any drops whatsoever. Load times are quicker too. Thanks Sony!

FHIZ

Playing Yakuza 0 earlier in the week I noticed some tearing, but tonight, all smooth sailing. This is a pretty great update.

I have to imagine the people at Digital Foundry were probably getting ready for the weekend then this shit hit and then had to have just let out a big "oh no..."

Elginer

Damn AC Unity is a fucking game changer with Beast Mode. Holy crap, just what the game was MEANT to be now. Thank you Sony!!!!

SURGEdude

Anyone tried Alien Isolation?

Wasn't it locked at 30? If that's true were their drops? If there were thats crazy considering how lightweight it was on PC.

This new boost mode is really making me regret buying so many multiplats on XB1 recently. Figured I'd be safe with old ones like TEW and now this.

FHIZ

Came back just to leave this here:

EMZxamv.gif

It's been a good day for PS4 Pro owners.

MaKTaiL

Can anyone check if Amnesia Collection is suffering the same problem SOMA is having? I already sent a tweet to Frictional's official Twitter account so they can take a look at this.

Luigi87

Anyone test out Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep 0.2?

I noticed some occasional stuttering in it before, and it seemingly already had a fairly variable framerate that goes between 30~60

JPS Kai

Dynasty Warriors is running as smooth as ever, turning the camera just feels so buttery smooth.

I'm playing Godseekers

Vashetti

Banned
A tad aggressive.
I was not aware.

It's just frustrating going through the thread and seeing people saying

Test FFXV!

Test KH2.8!

Test Overwatch!

Test etc.!

If the game has Pro support, it's already seeing the improved hardware in the Pro. Boost mode is for software that hasn't been patched for the Pro, ergo, it can't automatically detect the better hardware without it toggled on.

taizuke

Wasn't it locked at 30? If that's true were their drops? If there were thats crazy considering how lightweight it was on PC.

This new boost mode is really making me regret buying so many multiplats on XB1 recently. Figured I'd be safe with old ones like TEW and now this.

I can tell the difference when a game goes from 30 to 60fps but i can't for the life of me notice when it's minor drops and believe me i played Alien Isolation to death on base PS4 and couldn't tell any drops.

But, i did notice some cool water effects on PC not seen on PS4. It would be cool if the Pro could pull that off now.

Luigi87

It's just frustrating going through the thread and seeing people saying

Test FFXV!

Test KH2.8!

Test Overwatch!

Test etc.!

If the game has Pro support, it's already seeing the improved hardware in the Pro. Boost mode is for software that hasn't been patched for the Pro, ergo, it can't automatically detect the better hardware without it toggled on.

I asked a simple question and did a search in the thread for KH.

Kilvas

This is really cool and finally gives some justification to the pro purchase. Not sure I'll ever get one, but if I ever had to replace my og ps4 I'll now have a valid reason to upgrade.

Yakuza 0 doesn't have a Pro patch and after playing it extensively before this Beta, it feels...weird now. It was 60fps but the camera is so fast now, the difference is noticeable. I guess it's better lol.

Naruto 4 is nice now too. The bigger flashier moves dont have issues anymore (even some simple combos would make the frame rate dip). It used to dip below 30 for sure, don't see that anymore.

Top Bottom