• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

JPS Kai

EDF 4.1 feels a bit faster. No slowdown during the low impact mission I hopped into (mission 12 on normal). There's still a tiny bit of texture popping on the character model during initial load.

Damn AC Unity is a fucking game changer with Beast Mode. Holy crap, just what the game was MEANT to be now. Thank you Sony!!!!

image.php

Yo LB...i hope you got in on this update since you have been such a help in that thread. Unless youre part of SCEA or something?
No, not a Sony employee at all! And in fact, I don't have a Pro (and probably won't for a while). I just thought I could try and make a useful resource for GAF, that has given me so much entertainment and energizing discussion for a long time.

JPS Kai

Yakuza 0 is running at a higher frame rate and actually forces much of he game to run at a faster pace too from first glance. Combat with Majima in Breaker style was super quick.

And if anyone asks, OutRun also runs faster too, so good luck getting that 5 million score!

-griffy-

Banned
Really? Fuck. Guess I still won't bother re-playing it again then. Still can't believe they took out the downsampling. Fuckin bullshit.

Changes like that require updates to the individual games. This is just opening up extra resources from the CPU/GPU so games without Pro support can run better in their existing state.

FrankWza

No, not a Sony employee at all! And in fact, I don't have a Pro (and probably won't for a while). I just thought I could try and make a useful resource for GAF, that has given me so much entertainment and energizing discussion for a long time.

Damn. That good of you. Good man

ganaconda

Really glad they're doing this. Definitely makes perfect sense to do and was surprised they weren't before. I guess they wanted to do more testing, but having the option to turn it off for the rare game where it doesn't work out solves everything.

I know it's still really early, but does anybody have a summary of the games that people have tested and what the improvements have been?

Tohsaka

Yakuza 0 is running at a higher frame rate and actually forces much of he game to run at a faster pace too from first glance. Combat with Majima in Breaker style was super quick.

And if anyone asks, OutRun also runs faster too, so good luck getting that 5 million score!

Joke's on you, I couldn't even get 3 million!

renzolama

Right now some engineer at Sony is watching the internet and thinking "I told those corporate idiots to delay the PS4 Pro marketing and launch until the spring when we had boost implementation figured out."

Fredrik

Ps4 (pro) is beast confirmed. Planning to get mine for Horizon anyway. External drive support is awesome too.
PS4 Pro is The Beast™ confirmed, any other name is just wrong at this point. Thinking of buying The Beast™ today buy I won't hunt for a beta code so I guess I'll wait until this firmware release go live first.
MS needs to be very aggressive to be able to counter this, the Beast vs Scorpio fight just got a whole lot more interesting!

Velikost

Does anyone have Bloodborne footage from Old Yharnam? The beginning of that area chugs like a motherfucker; wanna see if that's all framepacing or if this smooths it out some

SOLDIER

Tried a few games of my own, including some lesser-tested titles:

Until Dawn: Substantial improvement, much smoother framerate when outdoors.

Dragon Quest Builders: No change at all, unfortunately. Still the occasional dips in framerate when things get busy.

Attack on Titan: Noticeably smoother framerate, didn't dip as much when the screen got filled with Titans.

Dark Cloud 2: Unchanged. Was curious if PS2 games would improve at all, but I suppose not.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag: Didn't notice much difference here either.

Yakuza 0: The screen tearing is gone, update is terrific for this alone.

Really want to get an external drive now. Any good sales going on?

KyleCross

This was the first concern that came into my mind when this new feature was revealed. Many older PC games suddenly start running in high-speed if they achieve framerates they weren't designed to, I'm worried about that happening here too.

Gasian

All this talk of massive improvements got me like

H10smFb.gif

How soon do these firmware updates usually go public after the beta tests?
As someone who has been apart of all the PS4 beta tests, it is usually a few weeks. I expect it to last until Horizon comes out. Maybe they will launch it that week. Just me assuming from past tests. Guess we will see

KyleCross

I'm sure kicking myself for not signing up for the beta. I never expected this kind of feature... then again, doubt anyone did.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm sure kicking myself for not signing up for the beta. I never expected this kind of feature... then again, doubt anyone did.

The past few updates have always had secondary unannounced features that have wound up being a bigger deal to me than any of the main ones.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Playstation Now individual license support by a by game basis for ps3 discs, and ps1 and ps2 bc, and I will marry Sony.

Fredrik

I expected it at first, before the details on how the Beast (Pro) handled unpatched games was out. Actually complained a lot that they tried to get us to buy a $399 hardware upgrade and then leave it up to the devs if we would get an upgrade or not. But it was so long ago that it still feels unexpected to get this boost and I'm super hyped right now!

I don't have PS+, is there an easy way to transfer saves from a launch PS4 to a Beast without moving the physical HDD? some kind of transfer mode available like with Nintendo hardware? Connecting two consoles through USB or wi-fi? USB memory transfer?

Anyone tried Destiny?

There's a long post earlier in the thread that detailed how load times are significantly improved between tower and various places.

Up to 10 second load time improvements.

Edit: yeah but haven't seen anything on frame rate.
It's pretty much rock solid 30fps 99% of the time tho.

Here's the post

Destiny was already a locked 30fps game, but it did improve on the load times.

Orbit to the Tower
Boost- 56.65 (tested twice)
No boost- 1:10.12 sec

To orbit from tower
Boost- 10.53
No boost- 16 sec

Orbit to iron temple
Boost- 50.77
No boost- 1:11.44

Iron temple to orbit
Boost- 9.72
No boost- 10.98