• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

TLZ

Banned
Lichdom Battlemage runs like a beaut.

I really like the upload/download saves from the main screen.

black070

Finally picked up the Evil Within season pass after testing the main game, smooth as butter folks, and that's with the black borders disabled. :')

onQ123

tR99tJk.jpg

Simple. Sony had reservations about implementing it due to unforeseen circumstances.. Obviously they tested it further and came to the conclusion that it was worth letting users brute force the machine, and toggle it if there were any issues.
I'm not a programmer, but I'm guessing that Sony must be adding some sort of hardware abstraction in firmware 4.50 via Boost mode. We know that they tested it and were seeing a lot of problems at launch, so maybe in the interim they've discovered the root cause of most of the issues and were able to build in a workaround via hardware abstraction (Boost mode) that seems to be fairly reliable, with the new firmware doing the heavy lifting and leaving the underlying base mode game still blissfully unaware of the Pro hardware.

91fps?!

That can't be accurate.

I don't see why it's not possible. OG PS4 ("The Amateur") has a 1.8 TF GPU. PS4 Beast ("The Professional") has a 4.2 TF GPU. Ignoring all other factors like the horrible AMD Jaguar CPU, you're looking at a linear scaling in graphics power of 2.3x. If for some reason you found a game which was completely GPU-bound, you could expect about 2.3 times the base framerate scaling from The Amateur to The Professional.

In the case of Rainbow Six: Siege, in that particular scenario, it seems we have found a game which is completely GPU-bound. So there it is.

El_Chino

Some guy clocked 110fps, this is in Terrorist Hunt with Vsync off though and vsync is 30fps so lots of tearing or no frame rate boost unless they patch it.

I don't see why it's not possible. OG PS4 ("The Amateur") has a 1.8 TF GPU. PS4 Beast ("The Professional") has a 4.2 TF GPU. Ignoring all other factors like the horrible AMD Jaguar CPU, you're looking at a linear scaling in graphics power of 2.3x. If for some reason you found a game which was completely GPU-bound, you could expect about 2.3 times the base framerate scaling from The Amateur to The Professional.

In the case of Rainbow Six: Siege, in that particular scenario, it seems we have found a game which is completely GPU-bound. So there it is.
The screen tearing must be insane.

SlickVic

Really interesting. Makes me wonder whether this Boost Mode was planned since the Pro's inception (don't remember if any of the leaked documents mentioned it) or something that started coming together more recently. On one hand, announcing Boost mode when the Pro was first unveiled probably would've increased Pro sales at launch even if they stated the feature was coming not coming until 2017. But it probably would have also driven some of us impatient with the wait for when exactly it would come out. All in all, I think this was probably the best way to unveil it; show it off in a beta firmware and then have a final version ready within a few weeks after that.

Is it just me, or are some of these Boost mode enhancements actually way more impressive than a lot of the actual Pro patches? You would have thought that devs could do a better job with their own damn games... but it seems like many can't even get close. WTF?

Marlenus

I'm not a programmer, but I'm guessing that Sony must be adding some sort of hardware abstraction in firmware 4.50 via Boost mode. We know that they tested it and were seeing a lot of problems at launch, so maybe in the interim they've discovered the root cause of most of the issues and were able to build in a workaround via hardware abstraction (Boost mode) that seems to be fairly reliable, with the new firmware doing the heavy lifting and leaving the underlying base mode game still blissfully unaware of the Pro hardware.

How do we know they were seeing a lot of problems? All Cerny said was that it was possible to break some games so to make sure unpatched games worked properly they put in the restrictions. It was probably simply a lack of having enough QA time to test a large enough stack of games hence the caution at launch.

It will only really be exclusives that are prone to issues as multiplats will not be programmed at such a low level that a change in cache/memory timing will cause problems because doing that and targeting 2/3 platforms is super, super, super dumb.

wapplew

Is it just me, or are some of these Boost mode enhancements actually way more impressive than a lot of the actual Pro patches? You would have thought that devs could do a better job with their own damn games... but it seems like many can't even get close. WTF?

Because pro patched game usually use the power for higher resolution.

bombshell

Pro patches also deal with increases in resolution chasing that 4K paradise. Boost mode makes no effort in that area unless it's a dynamic res game and that will still only have a ceiling of 1080p.

Cartho

They've actually done this in a pretty smart way. Making it an option, where it clearly states "if you experience any unsual issues then disable" totally covers them.

It also shows that alot more games could probably do better with pro mode enhancements in official patches. Having said that, supersampling from, say, 1800p is a massive GPU hog so that probably soaks most of the power. I'd like devs to give us more Rise of the Tomb Raider style options with pro patches. Nioh's "movie mode" and "action mode" was a nice way of putting it - cinematic or smooth and fast, your choice.

This is also probably going to be needed on PS4 Pro for when Scorpio comes out. If MS have managed to get good improvements to existing XB1 games (i.e making them actually hit their frame rate targets all the time and run at the highest res possible when dynamic res was used) without patches then this was essential otherwise Pro would look pretty poor by comparison.

Cincaid

This is truly a game changer, let's just hope the Beta period is not too long! How long are these things in Beta normally?

Can't wait for Digital Foundry to do a thorough comparison.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The load times in Witcher 3 are really fast now. I'd say twice as fast if not more.

This is in the stock Pro drive.

Fredrik

Really interesting. Makes me wonder whether this Boost Mode was planned since the Pro's inception (don't remember if any of the leaked documents mentioned it) or something that started coming together more recently. On one hand, announcing Boost mode when the Pro was first unveiled probably would've increased Pro sales at launch even if they stated the feature was coming not coming until 2017. But it probably would have also driven some of us impatient with the wait for when exactly it would come out. All in all, I think this was probably the best way to unveil it; show it off in a beta firmware and then have a final version ready within a few weeks after that.
The upside is that the early launch reports wasn't about the tiny amount of games that crash in Boost mode, the press always hunt for the negatives and blow them up, now we have the actual gamers going crazy with positive reports instead and it'll take some crazy spins to turn this to something negative now. PS4 is in Beast Mode now, or like I said earlier just fall the PS4 Pro The Beast from now on so we know what we're talking about, $399 for a huge upgrade like this on basically all games is crazy, the DF faceoffs will be slaughters from here on.

Marlenus

The upside is that the early launch reports wasn't about the tiny amount of games that crash in Boost mode, the press always hunt for the negatives and blow them up, now we have the actual gamers going crazy with positive reports instead and it'll take some crazy spins to turn this to something negative now.

It is a classic example of under promise and over deliver.

Voidguts

all these bloodborne videos..... fuck, I just got a PS4 in Nov. and now I'm 99.9% sure I'm gonna swap this thing for a Pro.

Raonak

Banned
Anybody know if rocket leauge splitscreen runs better? Framerate is noticeably downgraded when doing 3+ players

I was kicking myself recently for wanting and getting a Pro for christmas for my son and I before having a 4k set.What a difference 24 hours makes this gives me the warm and fuzzies and the youtube comparisons are looking to be game changing in most literal terms.

Mepsi

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Final Fantasy 14 on this patch. I would love to play this game more on PS4 at times when i play with other people but it runs like ass.
EDIT: Post ahead beat me, that performance increase is seriously impressive.

Tagg9

Gotta test Resident Evil 7. The initial load is pretty long. I need to see if that got improved!

Resident Evil 7 already has Pro mode enhancements. This ONLY affects games that were released before the Pro and are not enhanced.

I just had a thought - all Telltale games should be improved now!

sirap

Oh wow. Not sure if it's simply placebo but Bloodborne feels smoother with Boost mode on. Best way I can describe it is like playing a game at 35fps with Freesync/Gsync on vs 30fps with Vsync.

c0de

I think it's also a reaction to Scorpio which will most likely also offer upgrades to bone games, just to a bigger degree.
Bone games start lower and will see a bigger boost as Scorpio is even more powerful than the pro.
It wouldn't put a good light on the pro if Scorpio can do it and the pro doesn't and now they even made it possible before Scorpio launch. Clever.

Mascot

Somebody please do a detailed Project CARS before/after analysis in different weather. Performance on the vanilla PS4 is pretty good in clear weather with minor dips and tearing. I'm hoping the Pro beta version is now a sixty lock with zero tearing in clear weather, but fully expect some issues to remain in stormy weather.

I just checked Shadow Warrior.
Still, not perfect but is far more stable framerate. Much more pleasing to the eye.
During intense fight scenes game looks like is closer to stable 60 fps. On PS4 Amateur you've got 30 fps during fights and inconsitent 60 fps during roaming through levels.
PS4 Beast mode is simply killer.

Withnail

I think it's also a reaction to Scorpio which will most likely also offer upgrades to bone games, just to a bigger degree.
Bone games start lower and will see a bigger boost as Scorpio is even more powerful than the pro.
It wouldn't put a good light on the pro if Scorpio can do it and the pro doesn't and now they even made it possible before Scorpio launch. Clever.

Thanks for the view from the console war trenches but the rational explanation is they tried it and it didn't break as many games as they originally thought.

Savoury69

Neo Member
Somebody please do a detailed Project CARS before/after analysis in different weather. Performance on the vanilla PS4 is pretty good in clear weather with minor dips and tearing. I'm hoping the Pro beta version is now a sixty lock with zero tearing in clear weather, but fully expect some issues to remain in stormy weather.
I hereby second this motion, the suspense is killing me.

Top Bottom