• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

Planet

So GT Sport,on Pro,with boost mode should be glorious.
Again and again and again, boost mode only works on older titles that haven't been patched for Pro support already.

Nevertheless GT Sport reportedly looks great on a 4K TV, and should be extremely clean on 1080p, glorious enough.

Anything about Uncharted Collection and other PS3 remasters? After seeing GOW3 Remaster getting corrupt textures, I don't know if we can have that option activated all the time.
Also what about The Order 1886?

Paganmoon

Anything about Uncharted Collection and other PS3 remasters? After seeing GOW3 Remaster getting corrupt textures, I don't know if we can have that option activated all the time.

The Order is pretty much locked 30, won't see much improvement I think.

Again and again and again, boost mode only works on older titles that haven't been patched for Pro support already.

Nevertheless GT Sport reportedly looks great on a 4K TV, and should be extremely clean on 1080p, glorious enough.

For the final firmware they should call it "Legacy title boost mode" or something so people don't think they actually downloaded more power for their Pro.
Sweet.Your a PD Dev then.Thanks for the info bud.

Cool post, lad.

”PS4 Pro marks a historical moment," says Yamauchi-san, speaking with us at a media event in London earlier this month. ”It's the first time video games are going to exceed and better the quality of images in movies, broadcasting, and packaged media out there."
With GT Sport, a powerful engine is everything — and PS4 Pro pushes the game into an eye catching fast lane featuring dynamic 4K, targeted 60 frames per second, HDR, an 18 GB VPS uncompressed stream, and wide color support. What that all means is the races are smoother, slicker, and more vibrant than they've ever been. And as any car enthusiast knows, the details are part of what drives the passion.

And just generally there is zero chance Sony will publish a game without Pro support now.

black070

The corrupt textures were always present in the God of War 3 Remaster.

In case you're planning to pickup a Pro and don't want the hassle of selling it online with high shipping fees, Gamestop is offering an additional $50 for PS4 trade-ins, resulting in a total of $175. Considering that new PS4s were sold for ~ $250 on Black Friday I think that's a pretty decent offer.

Kevin

I hope you guys are reporting these bugs to Sony. Hopefully they will get fixed by the time the patch is officially released.

TLZ

Banned
I've tested a lot of games thus far and it's been a mixed bag. Some really impressive improvements in some games while others remain mostly the same. I'm excited to do a video on this stuff.

For me, it's actually a lot of the small games that benefit the most - games which almost had stable performance but often dipped below in busy scenes.

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero is a great one - it was mostly 60fps already on PS4 but a number of specific stages consistently ran below this (~55fps). In a side scroller, this is bad since it results in noticeable judder. Playing with boost mode 100% eliminates this - the town section on fire was loaded with slowdown but plays at a perfect 60fps now.

Mighty No 9 is an example - I know people hate this game but it was a curious one being UE3. The highway stage, for instance, suffered from near constant slowdown on a base PS4 - lots of dips and hitching. Boost mode completely eliminates those issues resulting in a completely smooth experience.

On the flip-side, I was surprised to see Shadow Complex fail to improve in any significant fashion. A lot of areas struggle to hold 60fps on PS4 which seemed crazy to me and boost mode doesn't really improve anything here.

It's a very interesting feature, though.

Waiting for your video John.

Have you tried Lichdom?

bombshell

Great suggestion, please post it in the beta forum with some explanation, that should really be made more clear for the less technical-savvy.

I mean, the description for the setting already literally says it's only for games from before Pro launched.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've been playing Table Top World Tour this morning, it's very smooth now in boost mode. In normal mode it was mostly OK but often used to slow down when shit hit the fan in races.

TLZ

Banned
Anyone interested in having this beta fw 4.50, I still have the few burner accounts running, so PM me. Letting you guys know since the thread was closed.

Yakuza 0 is running at a higher frame rate and actually forces much of he game to run at a faster pace too from first glance. Combat with Majima in Breaker style was super quick.

And if anyone asks, OutRun also runs faster too, so good luck getting that 5 million score!

ive been playing yakuza 0 since it came out everyday, tried boost mode, there is no difference in speed, fighting or running around. Only the screen tearing is gone.

Also, it was actually the first time i ever got over 5 million when i was using boost mode in outrun.. lol

I guess we should do a comparison to really know if its speeding up or not.

KyleCross

I haven't read the thread so I dunno what the corruption looks like, but this post caught my eye. I picked up GOW3 Remaster about 5 months ago and played some of it and textures were fucked left and right, especially while inside Gaia. If this is the same thing, it definitely isn't caused by either boost mode or the Pro at all.

EDIT: Ah, saw that it was addressed. Yep, that's the same texture glitch I got on base PS4 months ago, so yeah not a fault of boost.

Been testing out Bloodborne all day.

I can FINALLY really play now without those agonizingly long load times and FPS drops.

It's a good thing.

Crumpo

I have a bunch of older games I re-downloaded to my Pro so I could play through again, without the rush to clear space on the HDD. Just running through what I have it looks like quite a few (Driveclub, Sleeping Dogs, TR) will be better off with this mode enabled.Very good news and great to see Sony getting to grips with what the Pro can do.

Anyone know how long the beta runs for? Trying to work out when we think 4.50 will be released.

Jafku

I have a bunch of older games I re-downloaded to my Pro so I could play through again, without the rush to clear space on the HDD. Just running through what I have it looks like quite a few (Driveclub, Sleeping Dogs, TR) will be better off with this mode enabled.Very good news and great to see Sony getting to grips with what the Pro can do.

Anyone know how long the beta runs for? Trying to work out when we think 4.50 will be released.
I personally think the fw will be publicly available around the time Horizon launches

Crumpo

I personally think the fw will be publicly available around the time Horizon launches

That's only a few weeks away now...could be true. It might just be me but I find Q1 a much more interesting time for Sony than Q4...lots more first party stuff happening.

Minamu

Has anyone tested No Man's Sky or Alien: Isolation? They have fairly stable framerates but the loading times are pretty long, at least in A:I.

Ahasverus

In case you're planning to pickup a Pro and don't want the hassle of selling it online with high shipping fees, Gamestop is offering an additional $50 for PS4 trade-ins, resulting in a total of $175. Considering that new PS4s were sold for ~ $250 on Black Friday I think that's a pretty decent offer.
Can't find info in their site about the additional ps4 credit. Do you have a link? This would be what pushes me to a pro!

RAWRferal

Can you just leave it on while playing pro patched games or do you have to manually unbox it everytime?

I've left it on and had no issues with Pro enabled games.

Does the boost mode offer full access to the Pro hardware (full GPU etc) or just o/c CPU and o/c original GPU?

No details yet AFAIK, but I would say just the OC as the fans on my unit don't spin up in boost mode as much as they do in some Pro enabled games.

brobban

Sweet.Your a PD Dev then.Thanks for the info bud.
Every game from November 2016 (or was it October)is required to support Pro mode. So they already run with the full GPU and clock, no matter how the developer chooses to use it. Boost mode is only for games prior to that, that chooses not to support Pro mode through a patch.

For the final firmware they should call it "Legacy title boost mode" or something so people don't think they actually downloaded more power for their Pro.

Cool post, lad.

And just generally there is zero chance Sony will publish a game without Pro support now.

That's a good one. Or Legacy Title Pro Support.

It really does seem that some people are thinking Boost mode is some secret sauce or something.

Audioboxer

I've started playing Just Cause 3 and everything is smooth. Never played it before so I can't say how much of a mess it was (although it sounded bad).

Game is pretty fun as well. I've got massive open world fatigue seeing as everything needs to be open world these days, but this is fun!

If you do YouTube streaming then it gives you a 60fps option

So.. it can stream at 60fps, shareplay at 60fps.. but it cant save videos at 60fps? bit weird..

i did stream my yakuza video yesterday and it saved at 30fps though. i gotta change something? or youtube changes it to 30 after it streamed?

Paz

So.. it can stream at 60fps, shareplay at 60fps.. but it cant save videos at 60fps? bit weird..

i did stream my yakuza video yesterday and it saved at 30fps though. i gotta change something? or youtube changes it to 30 after it streamed?

Games run off the HDD, I always assumed the lack of 60fps capture was due to limited R/W bandwidth since that would be 2x what 30fps uses.

Streaming should just be a data stream being sent out of RAM so no such HDD R/W concerns. As for stream setup it should be part of your streaming configuration.

BigEmil

When you broadcast gameplay there should be a quality section, open that up go up 60fps option should be there. Here's a video someone made demonstrating that
https://youtu.be/L28CeNSS2GA

Top Bottom