• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

jonabbey

Custom wallpapers
Dynamic themes
Full youtube support
3D Blu Rays
Better friends list
Folders
Touch pad integration with the web browser
MP3
DLNA
MKV
Pausing Downloads (yes it can't do that)

Suspend / Resume

It's actually pretty impressive how short this list is, compared to how the PS3 wound up, to say nothing of how it launched. Sony did a pretty great job of getting the gaming features that people kept screaming at them about on PS3 in place PDQ.

It sure would be nice if Sony would do better at communicating with us about their schedule for upcoming improvements. I suppose they don't want to tip their hand to the competition, but I don't think Microsoft would have gotten too worried over knowing that Share Factory was coming, say.

Sid

It's actually pretty impressive how short this list is, compared to how the PS3 wound up, to say nothing of how it launched. Sony did a pretty great job of getting the gaming features that people kept screaming at them about on PS3 in place PDQ.

It sure would be nice if Sony would do better at communicating with us about their schedule for upcoming improvements. I suppose they don't want to tip their hand to the competition, but I don't think Microsoft would have gotten too worried over knowing that Share Factory was coming, say.
PS4 launched in late 2013/early 2014 so I expected it to have a lot more features than it does.

Jomjom

Banned

The list is short because theres stuff he left out. We still are missing a lot of apps like HBO Go, and basically all the other ones the xbone has. Not to mention just fixing current features that dont really work right.

Also better voice functions than just starting the app. External hdd support, etc., etc. the list is very long. Its the xbone's list that is truly short because they do updates every month. PS4's list of missing features is fucking HUGE.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The list is short because theres stuff he left out. We still are missing a lot of apps like HBO Go, and basically all the other ones the xbone has. Not to mention just fixing current features that dont really work right.

Also better voice functions than just starting the app. External hdd support, etc., etc. the list is very long. Its the xbone's list that is truly short because they do updates every month. PS4's list of missing features is fucking HUGE.

Just because Xbox is updating regularly doesn't mean heir list is massively shorter. Still plenty of things they need to add too

Sid

So the final list should look something like this:-
Custom wallpapers
Dynamic themes
Full youtube support
3D Blu Rays
Better friends list
Folders
MP3
DLNA
MKV
Suspend / Resume
External HDD support
USB Media Playback
Taking over a friend's game

If they get all of the above features in that would be great.

GutZ31

Pretty sure he's being sarcastic. It is pretty hard to believe that they feel that a random ass friend joining a party is more important than simply knowing when a friend comes online.

When the Wolf Pack is on, you hear their call.

w3Os3uyh.jpg

On a serious note; the friends list should have had the Online>Away>Offline selections for you to default to when you login.

Dead Man

Maybe if it was 2006 it would be impressive. Maybe if there were no other electronic devices to compare it to it would be impressive. People expect more capabilities from new iterations of products, not less.

Jomjom

Banned
Maybe if it was 2006 it would be impressive. Maybe if there were no other electronic devices to compare it to it would be impressive. People expect more capabilities from new iterations of products, not less.

Yup. I dont get how being games focused means you cant have he features. PS3 has more features and is in my opinion more games focused than PS4.

goonergaz

Its gutting there's no suspend resume yet, esp. as it was mentioned day one whereas MS didn't mention it yet they already have it.

I love that feature on my Vita.

goonergaz

Yup. I dont get how being games focused means you cant have he features. PS3 has more features and is in my opinion more games focused than PS4.

yes but it's about getting the hardware out the door first - if they didn't have XBO to think about I'm sure we'd have had the PS4 6/12mths later with pretty much all features there from the off

Jomjom

Banned
Its gutting there's no suspend resume yet, esp. as it was mentioned day one whereas MS didn't mention it yet they already have it.

I love that feature on my Vita.
To get MS back they are trying to beat them to 3D bluray support. That'll show them!

yes but it's about getting the hardware out the door first - if they didn't have XBO to think about I'm sure we'd have had the PS4 6/12mths later with pretty much all features there from the off

But the xbone itself was prematurely released, yet they've hauled ass and added a bunch of shit. Sony needs to correct this. This is exactly how they handle their xperia phones, which is why my current xperia is the last I'll ever buy. Anyone who has an Xperia knows first hand, Sony is probably the worst company in the world when it comes to firmware and OS updates.

I know about the stories of MS not being ready with the Xbone but maybe the PS4 wasn't either. the console we got in Novermber was pretty barebones (ha!)

educator

Why is there no app for HBO? Why are they taking so long? It's really bothering me. Cant believe HBO is taking this long to release it. Why aren't they saying anything?

GutZ31

Is everyone forgetting how barebones the PS3 was at launch?
It played Blu-Ray discs, and it played games. The web browser worked, only just, and the COOLEST thing it came with was folding@home.
No apps, barely a game to speak of, and it was still amazing.
We are asking for end result PS3 features on a product that is less than a year old.
I totally want everything now, I just realize it's going to take time.

Yoday

So the final list should look something like this:-
Custom wallpapers
Dynamic themes
Full youtube support
3D Blu Rays
Better friends list
Folders
MP3
DLNA
MKV
Suspend / Resume
External HDD support
USB Media Playback
Taking over a friend's game

If they get all of the above features in that would be great.
Just add digital content/library sorting and management. Folders are not needed if they fix the content management issues. The PS4 UI is already a nightmare for digital only people, and it will be getting significantly worse with all of the upcoming releases.

Jomjom

Banned
Is everyone forgetting how barebones the PS3 was at launch?
It played Blu-Ray discs, and it played games. The web browser worked, only just, and the COOLEST thing it came with was folding@home.
No apps, barely a game to speak of, and it was still amazing.
We are asking for end result PS3 features on a product that is less than a year old.
I totally want everything now, I just realize it's going to take time.

You dont just wipe the slate clean and start from zero again each time you release a console. If you do then your processes have some serious problems. PS3 was the first Sony console capable of even having "features". Its not like the PS2 could have apps. They had to figure that stuff out from scratch. They dont have that excuse this time.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Why is there no app for HBO? Why are they taking so long? It's really bothering me. Cant believe HBO is taking this long to release it. Why aren't they saying anything?

xbone doesn't have it either so its probably not a sony thing. maybe hbo is making the app. they seem to take their sweet time in getting it out. ps3 one took a long ass time. hbo seems to be resisting getting apps onto some of those tv connected devices versus mobile and tablets. wonder if ms paid them a ton initially to get it on the 360

Themes yet? Thats really all I want. I really dislike the bright blue...

Surprised more people aren't annoyed of this.

what they need to do is use the themes that games have already. but instead of clicking down to see the wallpaper/music it should just happen when we highlight our games, left to right.

GutZ31

Just add digital content/library sorting and management. Folders are not needed if they fix the content management issues. The PS4 UI is already a nightmare for digital only people, and it will be getting significantly worse with all of the upcoming releases.
The user interface is my top pet peeve.
It's not bad, I like the layout in a lot of ways. But come on, I have at least 15 games on my roll, it gets annoying looking through all that by side scrolling.
The voice controls are only helpful when you know what you want, not for browsing you games/apps.

If they revamp the UI, I will be extremely happy.

GutZ31

You dont just wipe the slate clean and start from zero again each time you release a console. If you do then your processes have some serious problems. PS3 was the first Sony console capable of even having "features". Its not like the PS2 could have apps. They had to figure that stuff out from scratch. They dont have that excuse this time.
But the PS3 and the PS4 use very different architecture.
They can't just cut and paste the apps that they had before, as much as I wish they could.
Everything has to be built from scratch, with the smallest footprint possible so they can fit all those features nice and tidy into the new system.
Should they have been working on these features all along? You bet your ass they should have! Does it mean they should have neglected API or other system priorities? Nope.

We can't have our cake and eat it to this time, but maybe the PS5, or Xbox Two'ee will give use everything from the start.
(Actually, so far Xbox has been much quicker on the software stuff.)

Jomjom

Banned
I wish Sony would just fire their JP firmware team and let Cerny assemble an American firmware team. The west for whatever reason is just much better at that stuff. Its the same with OSes and UI - look at all the major players, Apple, Google and MS. That incompetent JP firmware team is a disgrace to the wonderful hardware Cerny put together. They are completely useless.

If you look at the mobile and tablet space, the Japanese are the worst when it comes to software supporting hardware. The US and Korean manufacturers are just light years ahead. Sony has been long criticized that one of the major reasons all their phones and tablets sell like shit is because they always support it so poorly with users often having to wait 6 months or even a year before they get caught up on the latest Android version. I see the parallel in gaming where Sony and Nintendo are both horrible in that respect, and MS just dominating. They just dont seem to care to correct it.

jonabbey

Unfortunately, the PS4 is using a different OS and a very different processor than last time. I expect that PS5 will re-use a lot of PS4's software whenever it comes out, but the PS4 is all new.

They had a much more aggressive launch schedule this time, too. I mean, I know the PS3 had a very long generation, but they went from first demo to launch in only a few months.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The user interface is my top pet peeve.
It's not bad, I like the layout in a lot of ways. But come on, I have at least 15 games on my roll, it gets annoying looking through all that by side scrolling.
The voice controls are only helpful when you know what you want, not for browsing you games/apps.

If they revamp the UI, I will be extremely happy.

same here. i have a bunch of ps+ games and f2p games that i deleted because there was just too much shit to scroll through after you get beyond a few tiles. at the very least make the shoulders or triggers jump shortcuts so you can navigate quicker.

jonabbey

what they need to do is use the themes that games have already. but instead of clicking down to see the wallpaper/music it should just happen when we highlight our games, left to right.

And it would be nice to get to hear each game's theme music without having to have the PS4 smooth jazz menu music playing all the time.

(Seriously, the PS4 supports per-game music when you go down into a game's info panel. I never hear that music because I can't stand the menu music for the rest of the time, though.)

GutZ31

I wish Sony would just fire their JP firmware team and let Cerny assemble an American firmware team. The west for whatever reason is just much better at that stuff. Its the same with OSes amd UI - look at all the major players, Apple, Google and MS. That incompetent JP firmware team is a disgrace to the wonderful hardware Cerny put together. They are completely useless.
You might be onto something.
Japan has been moving towards mobile for the past 5 or so years, and being less and less involved with computer games, as well as consoles.

The money truly is in mobile, so it only makes sense. The problem is that the Japanese gaming world has stagnated, with only JRPGs, Visual Novels, and the occasional fighter.
The genre pool is pretty much empty, and the last fresh game to come out of japan would to most be a JRPG, or a Fighter.
I have fond memories of almost all my PS games being from japan. Now, it's maybe 15%.

Jomjom

Banned
You might be onto something.
Japan has been moving towards mobile for the past 5 or so years, and being less and less involved with computer games, as well as consoles.

The money truly is in mobile, so it only makes sense. The problem is that the Japanese gaming world has stagnated, with only JRPGs, Visual Novels, and the occasional fighter.
The genre pool is pretty much empty, and the last fresh game to come out of japan would to most be a JRPG, or a Fighter.
I have fond memories of almost all my PS games being from japan. Now, it's maybe 15%.

Yeah but even with them moving to mobile, their mobile firmware support is horrible. UI on the Japanese phones are horrible which is why more and more people in Japan are going to iPhone. I remember my friends in JET would always complain how poor the phones were. Great network, shitty ass user experience on the phones. If you look on the sony mobile blog its hilarious that almost every comment is filled with angry people asking when they will get the latest version of android when every competitor has it already.

I remember my Xperia Ion not getting jelly bean until over a year later than everyone else. And even then because I was in the US and had the US version and not the international version, i had to root my phone in order to install it. It didnt become available until a year ago! Sony pulled the same "soon" thing for that one too, except "soon" in that case took over a year.

orochi91

I wish Sony would just fire their JP firmware team and let Cerny assemble an American firmware team. The west for whatever reason is just much better at that stuff. Its the same with OSes and UI - look at all the major players, Apple, Google and MS. That incompetent JP firmware team is a disgrace to the wonderful hardware Cerny put together. They are completely useless.

If you look at the mobile and tablet space, the Japanese are the worst when it comes to software supporting hardware. The US and Korean manufacturers are just light years ahead. Sony has been long criticized that one of the major reasons all their phones and tablets sell like shit is because they always support it so poorly with users often having to wait 6 months or even a year before they get caught up on the latest Android version. I see the parallel in gaming where Sony and Nintendo are both horrible in that respect, and MS just dominating. They just dont seem to care to correct it.

I will have to agree.

Japanese coders/programmers seem incompetent when it comes to software support
and I'm not sure why there's such a difference in technical prowess between them
and other you have listed. Japan isn't doing a good job cultivating talent in the tech
industry.

HooYaH

Yeah but even with them moving to mobile, their mobile firmware support is horrible. UI on the Japanese phones are horrible which is why more and more people in Japan are going to iPhone. I remember my friends in JET would always complain how poor the phones were. Great network, shitty ass user experience on the phones. If you look on the sony mobile blog its hilarious that almost every comment is filled with angry people asking when they will get the latest version of android when every competitor has it already.

Sony should give it to a branch of their ICE team.

jonabbey

I wish Sony would just fire their JP firmware team and let Cerny assemble an American firmware team. The west for whatever reason is just much better at that stuff. Its the same with OSes amd UI - look at all the major players, Apple, Google and MS. That incompetent JP firmware team is a disgrace to the wonderful hardware Cerny put together. They are completely useless.

I think incompetent is going way too far. They made really smart technical decisions on the PS4's operating system, and the PS4 was certainly competitive in terms of features at launch.

They just don't communicate worth beans about their upcoming plans, or even about the contents of all of these stability updates. In the latter case, that's probably because stability update really means security update and they don't want to admit or explain that.

It is true, though, that Microsoft has like three operating systems on the One, and they're able to re-use a lot of what they do in Windows elsewhere, which wasn't such a huge advantage last time given the memory constraints on the 360.

Kysen

Sony has been long criticized that one of the major reasons all their phones and tablets sell like shit is because they always support it so poorly with users often having to wait 6 months or even a year before they get caught up on the latest Android version.

Yup this was the reason I sold my Xperia (and lost 80% of its value when resold), a delayed firmware that broke playing music and browsing at the same time. No way was I going to wait around even longer till they got their shit together and fixed it. Their JP team needs to go.

RedAssedApe

Banned
been brought up before but the three pronged os probably helps mitigate bugs. whereas sony probably has to test every time they do any kind of update to make sure it doesn't break games

orochi91

I used to have one of the earlier Sony Xperia smart-phones and it was just frustrating
to deal with. I had to resort to rooting in order to get the latest android version.

Which sucks because the phone itself was very solid!

Jomjom

Banned
Yup this was the reason I sold my Xperia (and lost 80% of its value when resold), a delayed firmware that broke playing music and browsing at the same time. No way was I going to wait around even longer till they got their shit together and fixed it. Their JP team needs to go.

Yup the tragic thing is their hardware is awesome. I wanted the Xperia Z and Z2 so badly, but knowing that after the first one or two firmware updates, it would begin lagging between competitors like the Galaxy for new versions of Android by 6 months or more, I just couldnt do it.

orochi91

Yup the tragic thing is their hardware is awesome. I wanted the Xperia Z and Z2 so badly, but knowing that after the first one or two firmware updates, it would begin lagging between competitors like the Galaxy for new versions of Android by 6 months or more, I just couldnt do it.

I wish Google made phones with better battery life, then I can ignore other third-party
manufacturers and get a phone I know will have great OS support.

Jomjom

Banned
I think incompetent is going way too far. They made really smart technical decisions on the PS4's operating system, and the PS4 was certainly competitive in terms of features at launch.

They just don't communicate worth beans about their upcoming plans, or even about the contents of all of these stability updates. In the latter case, that's probably because stability update really means security update and they don't want to admit or explain that.

It is true, though, that Microsoft has like three operating systems on the One, and they're able to re-use a lot of what they do in Windows elsewhere, which wasn't such a huge advantage last time given the memory constraints on the 360.

Look either it's incompetence or they literally have one Japanese guy sitting in a cubicle in the corner by himself with a "PS4 Firmware Team" sign hanging askew on the outside. Either way, it's unacceptable.

And why are they focusing so much on security updates? It's not like the PS3 where it was getting targeted from all directions by hackers. I don't know of any real movements to hack the PS4 at this point in time. Geohot's got his job at Google now, Sony can rest easy at least for the time being.

jonabbey

Look either it's incompetence or they literally have one Japanese guy sitting in a cubicle in the corner by himself with a "PS4 Firmware Team" sign hanging askew on the outside. Either way, it's unacceptable.

Done a lot of operating system development, have you?

Jomjom

Banned
Done a lot of operating system development, have you?

No but I have eyes and can see when competitors are far outpacing them. I've never done mobile phone firmware either, but it's incontrovertible fact that Sony is among the worst in the market there too, like me and many other Xperia owners here have already attested to.

Top Bottom