• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

Roshin

Good news, IMO. 3D BR support is a big feature off the list and it didn't take as long as I was afraid of. I'm starting to feel optimistic about this now.

LAA

Well, I hope they're gonna have a MASSIVE update after this to include the bunch of things we've wanted before even Day 1. Surely they've been working on it long enough, unless the PS4 just isnt quite stable yet.

spwolf

PS3 was also a really great GAMING console. The two things are not mutually exclusive. For progress we like to move forward. Great gaming console + great media centre -> great gaming console + sh*t media centre is not progress. For Christ's sake even the PS1 could play music CDs.

PS4 OS easily trumps PS3 OS in gaming features, both day 1 and today. OS side, PS3 was much better media centre than gaming console.

PS4 is million times better gaming console than PS3.

I wonder how many of you actually had PS3, especially from the start.

PS3 was also a really great GAMING console. The two things are not mutually exclusive. For progress we like to move forward. Great gaming console + great media centre -> great gaming console + sh*t media centre is not progress. For Christ's sake even the PS1 could play music CDs.

Yes, and do you remember how PS3 struggled, just like Xbone is struggling now. While PS4 is one of the healthier consoles ever and it doesn't have these distracting extra options yet. Do you see the correlation? Every media console has failed, even though PS3 went to become a wonderful console in the end.

I really understand that CD player is a typical thing to have these days, but I guess they want to make the whole music player good enough for its release. You can't have CD player without music player, and while you're at it, include file support as well (maybe even video file support). I bet you can play those CDs with some other player, right? Now give them time, it's only 6 months old and it was rushed to the shelves.

Lady Gaia

Harmony Remote support or GTFO.

So long as there's a rational Bluetooth profile for the remote it should be straightforward to roll out a Harmony update to support it. I do think it would simply be expedient to support the PS3 media remote and by extension get Harmony support more or less for free, though.

I would love to get DLNA, but with no Cinavia protection. And no i don't download illegal stuff. A tv series that i can record anyway over the air is not piracy

you do realize that Youtube works perfectly over PS4 browser?

No it doesn't. Its awful. If I play more than about 5 or 6 videos and then quit the browser it slows the whole OS down to a level of crawl that's unbearable.

The browser needs a LOT of work. I can't even go to Rdio.com without it crashing.

SpecX

This is great news. I just bought Rio 2 for my kids and got the 3D version along with it. I had no idea Sony didn't have 3D support for the system and was unfortunately surprised by having to find out that way.

Mindwipe

I would love to get DLNA, but with no Cinavia protection. And no i don't download illegal stuff. A tv series that i can record anyway over the air is not piracy

If you recorded it off air it wouldn't have Cinavia on it.

If it has Cinavia on it it means it's a blu-ray or a theatrical rip.

Lan_97

Really hope this update resolves issues with 3D detection through my receiver as well as being able to force RGB for video (neither are issues for PS3). Not holding my breath.

linkeds

Banned

Then i can walk into a movie theater with my camera and record the new Godzilla?

Technically it's also over the air.

Joke post?

Think about. Sony hasn't released a feature adding update in almost 3 months. They were probably going to add 3D playback in the next big update around Gamescom and so they already made the code for 3D but were holding it until the next update. But then MS announced they were adding 3D playback and Sony doesn't want to fall behind in media capabilities (especially Blu-Ray which Sony should be on top) so it makes sense that they would pull 3D playback from the next feature adding update and instead release it now.

If 1.75 is released next week and only add 3D playback then that pretty much confirms it. It doesn't make sense to release a stability update one week and then release feature update the next week.

icespide

Banned
Think about. Sony hasn't released a feature adding update in almost 3 months. They were probably going to add 3D playback in the next big update around Gamescom and so they already made the code for 3D but were holding it until the next update. But then MS announced they were adding 3D playback and Sony doesn't want to fall behind in media capabilities (especially Blu-Ray which Sony should be on top) so it makes sense that they would pull 3D playback from the next feature adding update and instead release it now.

If 1.75 is released next week and only add 3D playback then that pretty much confirms it. It doesn't make sense to release a stability update one week and then release feature update the next week.

eird-al-yankovic-tin-foil-hat.png

ethomaz

Banned
Guys, this new feature needs to be planned at least one month ago to be ready to public release next week.

There is no way they did it in few days lol

People are sound like when Sony released the sales number in April two days before NPD March... "It is damage control because Sony lost the NPD" lol lol lol

Huh? How does what he said not make sense, or seem conspiratorial? It makes way more sense than them putting together that functionality in a week.

Why would they hold back the update it they didn't want to fall behind in media capabilities?

What makes the most sense is that 3D bluray playback has been penciled on the roadmap in August for months, and it's coincidence that MS also have it at that time too.

VanWinkle

Holy christ. I can't even tell who's being sarcastic anymore...

What are you talking about? How could my post possibly seem sarcastic? You think it's more likely they started putting together 3D Blu-ray playback right after MS announced it and then had it done and ready to release in like a week or two?

ethomaz

Banned
What are you talking about? How could my post possibly seem sarcastic? You think it's more likely they started putting together 3D Blu-ray playback right after MS announced it and then had it done and ready to release in like a week or two?
Looks like sarcastic to me :p

I don't think Sony did the firmware in response to MS... I'm sure they are working on this feature for some good time.

But I believe the PR twitter talking only about 3D Blu-Ray was a response to Microsoft...

I'd rather get the Suspend/Resume feature.

Not me.

I bought a 3D LED 55' TV last year + Jurassic Park 3D. I get home try and play it in the BlurRay player, it's not a 3D BluRay player - I didn't know there were different types of players.

So, I waited to find out more about the systems launching later in 2013 and Sony confirmed PS4 would play 3D BluRay. I preordered and got a PS4 at launch and never bought a 3D BluRay player....

....waiting for firmware to watch movie....

....waiting more.....

....XBOne can play 3D BluRay (don't have one)....

....more waiting....want to watch Jurassic Park 3D!....

....waiting....

.....have never seen Avatar in 3D, can't watch it if I wanted to - stupid PS4!.....

Finally!

Announcement on feature promised pre-launch!

Yay!

icespide

Banned
Looks like sarcastic to me :p

I don't think Sony did the firmware in response to MS... I'm sure they are working on this feature for some good time.

But I believe the PR twitter talking only about 3D Blu-Ray was a response to Microsoft...

logic has no place in this thread

mrklaw

MrArseFace

No. I think it's more likely they've been working on it for a while and it happens to be ready around the same time as MS. MS will probably have it out in September so they'd be about 4-6 weeks apart.

RedAssedApe

Banned
1.75 is going to break the ps4 though...then ya'll gonna complain about it not being stable ;)

also how does 3d-bluray work. do you need a tv that supports 3d or is it like those last-gen games where you could turn on a 3d-mode and wear crappy glasses :D

Vashetti

Banned
1.75 is going to break the ps4 though...then ya'll gonna complain about it not being stable ;)

also how does 3d-bluray work. do you need a tv that supports 3d or is it like those last-gen games where you could turn on a 3d-mode and wear crappy glasses :D

You need a 3D-capable TV.

I wish 3D became a thing, its actually quite awesome. Watched a soccer match in 3D once and it blew my mind.
I know, and Trine 2 and Sniper Elite 3 both look amazing. Sadly I think this ship has already sailed, at least in its present form. Maybe glasses-less 3D will take off better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know, and Trine 2 and Sniper Elite 3 both look amazing. Sadly I think this ship has already sailed, at least in its present form. Maybe glasses-less 3D will take off better.

I think it might mount a comeback with PS4. If a game can run 1080p/30, then it should be able to run 720p/3D with little or no drop in detail (unlike PS3). Plus when Sony start making games Morpheus compatible, that would make them suitable for 3DTVs too (in terms of performance at least, not any of the tracking stuff)

Speaking of CDs. When is Sony going to add SACD to PS4. Playing them can actually be hardware accelerated on CPU. And there is an x86 software to play using foobar

Top Bottom