• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

Called it. Xbox announces 3d bluray support coming soon so of course Sony was going to do the same.

Theyre perfectly content to sit on their asses until their competitor forces them to do something.

#4ThePlayersOnlyWhenWe'reForcedTo

22ymjv6.gif

THIS!

Glad it's coming but this seriously looks like a last minute effort to save face!

Sony... I'm not buying a PS4 until you have DLNA ad 5GHz WIFI. It is simply inexcusable to NOT support these two things.

Finally, I'm amazed just how barebones PS4 is when the PS3 had these features for so long. You would think, they would have transferred over these features sets at launch of their brand new system last year but it's so lacking with multimedia that I left my PS3 hooked up as my main player.

Or you know, both companies have been working on that requested feature for months and it's a coincidence that they are both releasing it around the same time? Not everything is a conspiracy you know.

You are aware I was being sarcastic in my post that you quoted, right?

I completely agree with the idea that this isn't a conspiracy and that to think otherwise is just plain silly.

And now the PS3 can be retired to the bedroom! Finally!

To those saying 'Sony didnt just pull it out of their ass in response to MS', absolute crap

I called specifically 3D Bluray playback out four days ago, post #484 here in response to MS

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=857656&page=10

Really so you think because you said so that Sony never had this planned? How quickly do you think they bug test firmware? This has most likely been in the pipeline a while now, difference is Sony don't seem to announce things months in advance.

To those saying 'Sony didnt just pull it out of their ass in response to MS', absolute crap

I called specifically 3D Bluray playback out four days ago, post #484 here in response to MS

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=857656&page=10

So because you just happened to guess something correctly means that there is some massive conspiracy going on?

No wonder all the Moon-landing/JFK/9-11 conspiracies have so many followers. Apparently there takes very little for some people to completely ignore logic in favor of embracing nonsense.

To release next week I'm sure they are testing it for at least one month ago.
No, man. That's why they have so many stability updates; they never test their shit and are constantly on the run playing catch up with MS, who has obviously had them off balance this entire gen. Every untested update causes issues that are then fixed with the next update. I thought people knew. #wakeupsheeple...er...ponies

liquidtmd

Banned
So because you just happened to guess something correctly means that there is some massive conspiracy going on?

No wonder all the Moon-landing/JFK/9-11 conspiracies have so many followers. Apparently there takes very little for some people to completely ignore logic in favor of embracing nonsense.

No my tin foil hat is safely tucked away

But cmon. Were 205 days into the year. Sony announce this feature and only this feature to come separately in a fw update within 4 days of MS doing so. Its looks...pretty suspect.

If theyd announced ANYTHING else that weve been asking for to also come, it would have looked a lot less suspect. It just happened to be 3d support. Not suspend - resume / mp3 support et al.

FuturusX

But cmon. Were 205 days into the year. Sony announce this feature and only this feature to come separately in a fw update within 4 days of MS doing so. Its looks...pretty suspect.

So they are holding features from a firmware to win threads on Neogaf? Makes sense.

If DLNA finally becomes available, this may become something I have to consider rearranging HDMI's. Otherwise my 3D-capable TV will remain with the PS3 while the PS4/WiiU/XBone are hooked to the S60.

So Sony just decided to duct tape 3D Blu-ray support into the PS4 in four days?

I'd imagine putting the software package together, not to mention testing it, takes quite a bit longer than that.

Besides, it's not like 3-D Blu-ray support is something that the masses have been screaming for. Sure, it's a nice feature that some folks (myself included) have wanted, but it's not exactly a major selling point for either company.

What would be the point of sitting on this feature until Microsoft makes the announcement? The announcement from Microsoft made exactly zero waves in the press. So holding on to this update makes literally no sense for Sony.

USC-fan

Banned

If theyd announced ANYTHING else that weve been asking for to also come, it woukd have looked a lot less suspect. It just happened to be 3d support. Not suspend - resume / mp3 support et al.
Likely amd was working on the 3d support and push this out to both. So this why you see it happen so close together.

Or sony had this ready already and was saving it for a x.x0 update which are larger. Ms announces the support and sony pulls it out of the x.x0 update.

Silly to think they added it this week and putting out the next week.

liquidtmd

Banned
So they are holding features from a firmware to win threads on Neogaf? Makes sense.

No I think the implication is that when faced with competition, Sony are quick to respond when theyve been plain coy about this firmware area for the rest of the year.

There are plenty of other things I want to see come first (such as DLNA/MP3 support), but is CD playback a possibility or does the PS4 hardware lack the proper laser for CD playback?

Likely amd was working on the 3d support and push this out to both. So this why you see it happen so close together.

Or sony had this ready already and was saving it for a x.x0 update which are larger. Ms announces the support and sony pulls it out of the x.x0 update.

Silly to think they added it this week and putting out the next week.

All of this seems plausible. Thank you for putting forth a well thought out argument.

liquidtmd

Banned

Yeah id go with this ultimately. Its frustrating though that Sony are now all #4theplayers. Some clarity on this long ago would have been nice

Yeah id go with this ultimately. Its frustrating though that Sony are now all #4theplayers. Some clarity on this long ago would have been nice

Sony adds a feature to the PS4 --> Sony are no longer "#4theplayers."

I get that you're saying it's not #4theplayers" to have held this feature back, but we don't know if they actually did that. So to accuse them of screwing customers is damning them for a crime for which they haven't been convicted.

Pachinko

This could potentially free up some space in my home theater area if it's fully featured 3D bluray playback. Although they would need to release a media PS4 remote too.

I enjoy how fast my standalone player boots discs so I'm kind of torn about switching up to a PS4 instead to be honest.

liquidtmd

Banned
Sony adds a feature to the PS4 --> Sony are no longer "#4theplayers."

I get that you're saying it's not #4theplayers" to have held this feature back, but we don't know if they actually did that. So to accuse them of screwing customers is damning them for a crime for which they haven't been convicted.

Oh I think Sony have been on point with that marketing and actual mentality generally this year. The inclusion of the hashtag for this though just seems a bit laboured.

androvsky

There are plenty of other things I want to see come first (such as DLNA/MP3 support), but is CD playback a possibility or does the PS4 hardware lack the proper laser for CD playback?

CD playback should be possible. There's two reasons certain frequency lasers are required: the main reason is focusing; the shorter the wavelength, the smaller the dot the laser can focus on. Since CD lasers have the longest wavelength, the shorter lasers should have no problem reading it. The other reason is that recordable CDs use a dye that's only readable with certain frequencies. It's also worth pointing out that focal distance is a problem since different formats have different thickness discs, but thanks to the requirements of dual-layer DVDs, a DVD laser and focal head shouldn't have any problem with a stamped (not recordable) CD.

From what I've read, early DVD drives had only the DVD laser and were able to read stamped CDs just fine. The problem was they couldn't read any recordable CDs, which was kind of a big problem back then, especially for computer drives, so they started adding the CD laser in the drive too. I don't think too many people will get too worked up if the PS4 can't read CD-Rs, especially if it's okay with USB drives.

Yoday

Almost one year and no you tube app...Honesty how many people have 3d tv's?
Most TV's of the last few years are 3D capable, so more than you might think. I for one really enjoy 3D, so this is a welcome addition to me. As for YouTube, they already announced support at E3, or was that only YouTube upload support?

Aroll

Nintendo takes longer than Sony between significant updates.

Sure doesn't feel like it. They increased the OS speed within months of release. Then they did it again within a few more months. They've been regularly updating their social network on the system (which seems minor, but it reminds me of Sony updates). Sure it took over a year to get a big quick start menu change and such, but maybe there just is less to correct? Folders are the only obvious omission I see from their OS standpoint. The whole universal account stuff is a separate issue.

Sure doesn't feel like it. They increased the OS speed within months of release. Then they did it again within a few more months. They've been regularly updating their social network on the system (which seems minor, but it reminds me of Sony updates). Sure it took over a year to get a big quick start menu change and such, but maybe there just is less to correct? Folders are the only obvious omission I see from their OS standpoint. The whole universal account stuff is a separate issue.

WII U OS is still slow. At least it was for me 2 months ago. I feel sorry for anyone who dealt with it before the updates.

DeweyChat

Banned
AMEN !

I can finally unplug my ps3 from the living room !

For those requesting a BD remote the ps4 is cec compatible, once activated in the parameters your TV remote will work on ps4 :) (Works with my Panasonic plasma)

Fuck it

Tomorrow I'm gonna announce a new console (probably email Kotaku or Polygon as they don't check facts) and state its gonna have mp3 support, mkv support and can make bread. It'll force MS to strike which will force Sonys hand.

We'll all win.

AMEN !

I can finally unplug my ps3 from the living room !

For those requesting a BD remote the ps4 is cec compatible, once activated in the parameters your TV remote will work on ps4 :) (Works with my Panasonic plasma)

HDMI-CEC is hit or miss. When it works, it's great. When pieces of equipment start turning on or off when you don't want then to, you want to just deal without CEC. I'm not expecting Harmony support anytime soon with something like the PS3 adapter. They may get it to work via Wifi with the Harmony Hub that's available.

Possibly both Sony and MS were waiting on a drive drop from AMD so they could run gpu-accelerated playback of 3d h.264. I understand the Vudu app on PS4 at least supports 3d, but the Vudu app (and possibly others) could just be using the CPU which isn't as power efficient.

I don't remember for sure if it referenced 3D blu-ray or stuff related to DLNA but I think Rigby seemed to post exactly something like this in one of his latest tech posts in the last firmware update thread about stuff that could be coming together due to waiting on different pieces of standards getting implemented enabling these features.

Glad to have 3D blu-ray coming so I'll be able to use either my PS4 or PS3 to play those movies. :)
Would like a remote other than the kinda crappy tiny Nyko one with only a few buttons too.

Just to be clear, people legitimately think Sony had this ready to go, and tested this update to release next week, set in motion solely because of the Microsoft update we just heard about.

c'mon now... this is Sony. of course they didn't test it. they'll just fix whatever it breaks in 1.76!

</SARCASM>

Top Bottom