• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 games now available on PS Now

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
I doubt new games will be release day and date on PS Now especially the exclusive ones. Unless of course PS Now will be bigger than PS4.

I agree it's a start. It's funny though, seeing some comments here from known supporters of the other system, heck one already started the "no need to buy PS4 now" narrative LOL.

Lol they probably couldn't wait to post that. With that being said it's a start but it stills have a ways until it decent. I mean it only stream 720p/30fps, you can't use add-ons with said game, you can only save data on the cloud, and you have to pay a sub for it plus the PS+ sub in order to use the cloud save data.

Compare to MS where I can actually take advantage of my hardware in my PC, and use addons, and not pay addition sub for it.

kc44135

Could be licensing.

I believe I read the current PS1 titles they sell are only licensed for PS3, PSP and Vita. So they'd need to renegotiate contracts.

That would be pretty disappointing if true. I've really wanted to see PS1 Classics get the same treatment as PS2 Classics on PS4, with High Resolution, Trophies, etc. (not to mention a better selection of PS2 Classics). Anyway, anybody saying that PS4 games on PS NOW eliminates the need for the console probably hasn't tried the service before. Horrific input lag, heavy compression that makes it look like Vaseline has been smeared across your screen, and AFAIK 720p is the max resolution you're going to get (I believe the service may have been capped at 30 FPS as well, but I'm not sure on that point). It is by no means a PS4 replacement, y'all.

I've often wondered if services like PS NOW could be the future of gaming. As in, instead of buying a bunch of expensive hardware, you buy a streaming device of your choice, pair your preferred controller with it, go on the "PlayStation channel" or maybe the "Xbox Channel" etc., buy/rent a game and start playing, just like with movies and TV shows. It would finally break down the biggest barrier to gaming (generally high cost of entry) and make the medium available to anyone with a streaming capable device, smart TV, smartphone, etc., basically stuff that everybody already has. Sadly, we aren't there yet, and anyone who tries out PS NOW should quickly realize why.

autoduelist

I like the subscription concept but the idea of streaming PS4 games on a PS4 seems a little crazy. You should be able to download locally if you have a sub.

As PS4 owner I'm not interested on this, I would more if there was more legacy content, and a lower barrier of entry for ppl with slow internet connections. 20 megs is not enough for this, so meeeh....

PSNow has never really been meant for people who own the devices already. People used to complain they could buy PS3 games for cheap... well, PSNow was for those who don't own a PS3. Likewise, this is primarily for those who don't own a PS4, or don't own the PS4 they might be using [think a Hotel tv].

FN-2187

Just tried and none of the PS4 games are working for me on PC. PS3 stuff is still working fine. Have to try again later I guess.

Does this basically mean they have topped out on the number of PS3 games publishers are willing to put on the service? That sucks because the library is missing a ton and seems pretty sub-par when I occasionally check in on it

Dabanton

Probably one step closer to full downloadable PS4/5 games on PC. Sony dipping their toes in the water...

I know some people would literally meltdown at such an idea. But it's worth exploring.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Are they high? all most people want is ps1/ps2.....maybe psp/vita...if this is ps5 BC and they never add ps1/ps2 games I don't think I'm buying PlayStation consoles anymore.

kc44135

Are they high? all most people want is ps1/ps2.....maybe psp/vita...if this is ps5 BC and they never add ps1/ps2 games I don't think I'm buying PlayStation consoles anymore.

Yeah, agreed. This is no replacement for BC, and it has to be there with PS5, especially with what their direct competitor is doing on that front right now. If MS comes out and offers a "Xbox 2" or whatever , and it can play four generations worth of Xbox games, but PS5's only form of BC is PS NOW... Yeah, that would be really, really bad. I wouldn't want to ever touch another PlayStation Console again if that happened.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
so I know that downloading ps3 games and playing them is impossible... but with PSNOW why couldn't it just allow you to download the ps4 games and play them lag free?

DieH@rd

Banned
so I know that downloading ps3 games and playing them is impossible... but with PSNOW why couldn't it just allow you to download the games and play them lag free?

Because PSNow PS3 games are rendered on the actual PS3 hardware [eight PS3 hardware sets on a single server-sized motherboard]. Sony does not have PC emulation of PS3.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Because PSNow PS3 games are rendered on the actual PS3 hardware [eight PS3 hardware sets on a single server-sized motherboard]. Sony does not have PC emulation of PS3.

I literally just said I know ps3 is impossible.

edit- just realized I forgot to put ps4 in my post.

Vashetti

Banned

I believe he's asking why you can't download the PS4 games to your PS4 rather than stream a video feed of them.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well, the answer remains the same. Neither PC nor PS4 cannot emulate PS3 easily, and Sony is not willing to invest in that obviously.

c0de

I believe he's asking why you can't download the PS4 games to your PS4 rather than stream a video feed of them.

Oh, you mean you download the game but you can only play if the console is connected to the internet? Hmm, that might be interesting and I'm wondering why nobody thought of this before.

Vashetti

Banned
Oh, you mean you download the game but you can only play if the console is connected to the internet? Hmm, that might be interesting and I'm wondering why nobody thought of this before.

Don't need to be connected, they can put an expiry date on it that ends when your PS Now sub ends, same as PS Plus games.

dracula_x

Don't need to be connected, they can put an expiry date on it that ends when your PS Now sub ends, same as PS Plus games.

maybe Sony afraid that option will reduce PS Plus value for some users.

in addition: "PS4 and PS3 multiplayer games can be enjoyed through PS Now without a PlayStation Plus subscription"

kc44135

Now, if they did something like this, I'd be very interested in PS NOW as a PS4 owner. It would essentially be a digital rental service for PS4 games. This is essentially what Xbox Game Pass is, correct?

Goalus

That's great news, because it will save Sony the headache of implementing PS4 compatibility on PS5.

shandy706

I played, easily, through Uncharted 2 on PSNow.....I'm not sure anything faster pace would be a good idea.

Fake edit** I also played through God of War successfully.

Fighting games and twitch (online) shooters are a no go though. Basically anything with fast timing needs could get frustrating. The lag was never bad for me in the above 2 games though.

Now, if they did something like this, I'd be very interested in PS NOW as a PS4 owner. It would essentially be a digital rental service for PS4 games. This is essentially what Xbox Game Pass is, correct?

Not "essentially", they're both subscriptions...but you actually download the Xbox One Game Pass games. No streaming/input delay/lag.

So no, it's very different...besides having to subscribe to play a library of games.

Edit* Misread what you quoted...so yes.

gossi

I just tried Killzone Shadow Fall, F1 2015 and Master of the Beast with this. I own none of the titles.

It works really well. Input lag is obviously.. not good.. but the games play fine. Multiplayer works as expect, as does voice chat and rumble.

Vashetti

Banned
I just tried Killzone Shadow Fall, F1 2015 and Master of the Beast with this. I own none of the titles.

It works really well. Input lag is obviously.. not good.. but the games play fine. Multiplayer works as expect, as does voice chat and rumble.

Any idea if the video feed is still 720p?

Top Bottom