• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 games now available on PS Now

kc44135

I played, easily, through Uncharted 2 on PSNow.....I'm not sure anything faster pace would be a good idea.

Fake edit** I also played through God of War successfully.

Fighting games and twitch (online) shooters are a no go though. Basically anything with fast timing needs could get frustrating. The lag was never bad for me in the above 2 games though.

Not "essentially", they're both subscriptions...but you actually download the Xbox One Game Pass games. No streaming/input delay/lag.

So no, it's very different...besides having to subscribe to play a library of games.

Edit* Misread what you quoted...so yes.

Yep 😃

Well, damn. If Sony were to offer downloadable PS4 games, I think it would substantially increase the value of the service, and it could potentially be an Xbox Game Pass competitor. I know I'm not the only one put off by the limitations of steaming games, but if they offered this, I'd be 100% on board.

Jonboy

Very interested to see how this plays out and where they ultimately take this. That's an okay library of games to start with, but doesn't look like anything too recent. For those who primarily game on PC, but have a PS4 for exclusives, I first thought this may be a viable alternative to needing to own a PS4 at all. With such a limited selection of games - and old ones at that - it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

Indeed, the lag combined with the inevitable macroblocking caused by the insane number of voxels, isn't going to be too healthy.

Personally, I'm far too sensitive to input lag for PS Now to ever been feasible for me. I tried it once and hated it no matter what I played. Sony should really let you download these PS4 games too and let you play them for the duration of your subscription - essentially making it a competitor to Xbox Game Pass.
I really think they could turn PS Now around if they would do 2 things: 1) Allow games to be purchased a la carte and not as part of a subscription and 2) Give the ability to download games.

The first one seems like an easy, no-brainer to me. The second one would present significant technical hurdles in getting PS2 games to run on PS4, PS4 games on PC, etc. At the very least though, they should give you the ability to download the PS4 games on PS4 if you're paying for the subscription service. I'm with you on input lag. Very sensitive to it and was immediately turned off by PS Now when I tried it back when the service launched.

If I were them, I would completely remove PS Now as a separate service and instead, have those games directly integrated into the PSN. You could search the entire catalog of PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games. They would just need a little indicator on which games could be downloaded and played natively on your respective system vs games that would need to be streamed from the cloud.

gossi

Any idea if the video feed is still 720p?

I think it is probably 720p, but I haven't pixel counted. It is heavily compressed image too.

That said I just played first level of Shadow of the Beast, a 60fps side scroller which needs good controls. It played absolutely fine. F1 2015 played fine too, which is 60fps. I was competitive in multiplayer.

so I can play PS4 games on a Microsoft Platform without buying a PS4? nice

RIP PS4 exclusives

Age of Sony is done

PS4 becoming the next system becoming irrelevant with no true exclusives like the Xbox One

Switch the only one with real exclusives

Giving me doubts whether I should buy PS5 or not but probably not with no exclusives no point

lol you people are something else. Honestly can't tell who's trolling or not

Ughh...........

This is the absolute LAST FUCKING THING I wanted on this service.

Give me the god damn PS2/PS1 games.

Let me buy a sub for a year, and just play a ton of ps2 and ps1 games that I have never heard of or seen before.

That would be a massive waste of bandwidth.

do you need ps+ to play ps now ps4 games online?

Probably.

I wouldn't count on seeing any system sellers in the catalog. Maybe when the generation is almost over.

Yep. Anyone expecting to see games like Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, or Horizon any time soon are sorely mistaken.

Finally.
Good for the service.

Now bring HZD and i can play the game on my PC

Not happening. It will be niche games, remasters, and older less successful titles (like Killzone SF)

JawzPause

Want to try this out but only have a third party controller for PC, anyone know any tricks on how to get it working? Seems like ps now doesn't recognise it

Arkam

Want to try this out but only have a third party controller for PC, anyone know any tricks on how to get it working? Seems like ps now doesn't recognise it

An Xbox360 controller works for PS3 games (or did not that long ago) but it definitely made me hook up my DS4 when I went to launch a PS4 game.

They're reducing the compatible devices, not expanding.

Vita, PS3, TV and Blu-ray player support for PS Now will be removed soon, only way to access it will be on PS4 and PC.
Is this speculation or have they said it? I play PS Now on my TV and PS3 when the PS4 is in use. That would suck.

KSweeley

DEDlGJ3XUAE291r-1031x580.jpg

Is PS Now anything but terrible in terms of latency?

It's bad. It's more or less noticeable depending on the game, though. I played through Journey just fine, but Last of Us was pretty painful. I was going to check out the Uncharted games but decided to pass after that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is PS Now anything but terrible in terms of latency?
It's fantastic. I cant tell the difference between playing locally. To put it in perapective, Retro Grade, a rhythm game all about timing, plays abaolutely perfect on PS Now and I was at no disadvantage.

Izuna

Banned
It's bad. It's more or less noticeable depending on the game, though. I played through Journey just fine, but Last of Us was pretty painful. I was going to check out the Uncharted games but decided to pass after that.

Isn't it like, 8-10 frames of input lag? :(

It's fantastic. I cant tell the difference between playing locally. To put it in perapective, Retro Grade, a rhythm game all about timing, plays abaolutely perfect on PS Now and I was at no disadvantage.

I'd test out a free trial for myself but my PS4 controller is in my new room. If you can't tell the difference, is it possible that your TV has a bunch of input lag?

--

I personally found Nioh underwhelming with Remote Play.

Vuze

Did they even try to put anything worthwhile on the list? I know they aren’t necessarily targeting users with a gaming PC but it feels like 90% of the games are available natively and probably run better than what the streaming experience will be even on modest PCs and laptops. (And for a fraction of the price too in some cases)

I’d be so interested to see the financial side of this for Sony.
Are they making money? How much? How much does adding a game cost. Etc.

This is a good service, but really the next step has to be able to download this locally. It's just not going to be ready with streaming only until everyone's internet is like Japan's.

Hope it works out for Sony though, was a gamble buying Gaikai not sure if it was worth it.

Kickz

Guess PS4 is not really the exclusive place to play PS4 games anymore.

Knack is a perfectly serviceable game. It's nothing ground-breaking, but there's enough meat & quality to the game that it can be an enjoyable experience. If you expect(ed) it to be PS4's Super Mario 64, yeah, it's gonna fall waaay short, but as it is it's a competently made beat 'em up platformer that can offer enjoyment if you can look past a few of its flaws/less good parts.

So its trash, got it.

Caayn

They better not do this shit.
I also hope that they won't use it as a BC method. However it wouldn't surprise me if Sony is going to utilize PS Now as their BC method.

I prefer my games to run locally without all the downsides that streaming brings.

FN-2187

This is a good service, but really the next step has to be able to download this locally. It's just not going to be ready with streaming only until everyone's internet is like Japan's.

Hope it works out for Sony though, was a gamble buying Gaikai not sure if it was worth it.

I feel like streaming is only really an effective way of doing demos, so you get a feel for the game without having to download the whole thing. I bought a year of PS Now last year when it was first added to PC, and I have not managed to play through a full game in that time. I have basically just used it to test out a bunch of games I have always been curious about. When I do find a game I like, I usually just play it for an hour or so and make a mental note to buy an actual copy of the game on another system so I can play it for real.

Agent X

do you need ps+ to play ps now ps4 games online?

According to this post on PlayStation.Blog, PlayStation Plus is not required for online multiplayer within PS Now.

Earlier in this thread I wondered if the PS4 games would be playable on PS Vita, PSTV, or PS3. Over the last two days, I tried PS Now on both Vita and PS3, and can confirm that the PS4 games are not accessible through PS Now on those systems. You will only see the PS3 games that are available. The PS4 games simply don't appear at all, in either the overall game catalog or your "recently played" list.

Some people here have noticed that a few of the PS4 games being offered on PS Now also have PS3 counterparts which were on the service. It is worth mentioning that (at least on the PC, where I've tried it) the PS4 versions apparently replace the earlier PS3 versions in the catalog. For example, if you want to play Ultra Street Fighter IV, you will be presented with the PS4 version. You cannot choose to play the PS3 version, which was previously available through this service.

Vashetti

Banned
According to this post on PlayStation.Blog, PlayStation Plus is not required for online multiplayer within PS Now.

Earlier in this thread I wondered if the PS4 games would be playable on PS Vita, PSTV, or PS3. Over the last two days, I tried PS Now on both Vita and PS3, and can confirm that the PS4 games are not accessible through PS Now on those systems. You will only see the PS3 games that are available. The PS4 games simply don't appear at all, in either the overall game catalog or your "recently played" list.

Some people here have noticed that a few of the PS4 games being offered on PS Now also have PS3 counterparts which were on the service. It is worth mentioning that (at least on the PC, where I've tried it) the PS4 versions apparently replace the earlier PS3 versions in the catalog. For example, if you want to play Ultra Street Fighter IV, you will be presented with the PS4 version. You cannot choose to play the PS3 version, which was previously available through this service.

Makes sense you can't play them on those platforms. They're not going to introduce PS4 games for them when the entire service is about to disappear for those devices.

Fishook

As a PC owner who has never own a PlayStation, I have just dabbed with first Uncharted and found it was fine to play, will try the latest Killlzone later to decide whether I will subscribe after my free week, as I fancy playing a few of the exclusives during the summer drought of games.

Top Bottom