• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Review Thread

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

G76WDnz.png

Wow. That's impressive.

Zep

Banned
So many Sony threads I'll post it here...

Found it interesting that while nba2k14 was installing there was only one mode available, two teams and no commentary. So until the 4th quarter, when it finished installing, the game was a glorified demo. Good news was as soon as it was done everything became available during the actual game.

Took about 25-30 mins overall

Nymphae

Banned
So many Sony threads I'll post it here...

Found it interesting that while nba2k14 was installing there was only one mode available, two teams and no commentary. So until the 4th quarter, when it finished installing, the game was a glorified demo. Good news was as soon as it was done everything became available during the actual game.

Took about 25-30 mins overall

That's interesting, at least it's better than having to wait for the entire thing to install.

Zep

Banned
That's interesting, at least it's better than having to wait for the entire thing to install.

I didn't have to start a game. I like the feature no doubt. Way better than sitting at a screen waiting for everything to load.

turnbuckle

I don't mind a review of a console mentioning software (or lack thereof). I think that's fair game and a legitimate concern. But that's why I like the Kotaku review as opposed to a score-based review like Polygon's. Although I have plenty of issues with Polygon like everyone else, I thought the text of their review (so long as the information is accurate) was rather well done. But putting a number to the review is dumb.

That being said, some people are putting reviewers in a spot where they can't win. Ok, I would say reviewers are the one that put themselves in this spot, but the gaming community is trying to have it both ways. Our cynicism is at a very high level; myself included. But people suggesting reviewers who say these consoles "aren't worth it" right now should return their free consoles are likely the same ones who would say the review scores are inflated because they received them for free. So which is it?

For me, I can't help but feel cynical looking at the high review scores of a game like Killzone and think "of course it's high, reviewer is a shill or being paid off". For the scores that hover around an 80% I find myself thinking the reviewer is being too safe, not wanting to over or underrate a game and instead takes an easy out. For Polygon's 5/10 I think....really? Are you kidding me?

So yeah, I'm finding myself appreciating a non-scoring based review system more and more over the years. GAF and a few other sites out there tend to be far more reliable than the gaming media on the whole. Heck, even tech sites and general news sites seem to be more trustworthy and reliable than most gaming outlets. Kotaku has stepped up big. Giant Bomb is wonderful. I'm hoping USGamer will be good, but I'm pegging all that hope on the fact that Jeremy Parish works there and I always loved 1up/EGM. But we saw what happened to them. I did like the PS4 review he and Mike Williams wrote for USGamer.

grendelrt

So the best versions of the largest winter multiplatform games (BF4, COD:G, ACIV,etc) and two exclusives that are already scoring well from what I have seen (KZ, Reso), yet there is nothing to buy on the system? I mean if you are high end pc gamer maybe (I am , and still getting KZ) but if you are a current console owner why wouldnt you move up?

Not to mention that none of this has a reason to drop the score on what is supposed to be a hardware review......

KAL2006

Banned
Don't own a PS4, but reading shit this would be my hardware review

Design - 10
Sleek as fuck, small for a first iteration, no external power brick

Controller - 10
I actually played with a DS4,a perfect fusion of a DS3 and 360 pad, th best of both worlds, plus a added touchpad

Price - 10
Affordable and the most powerful system besting Xbox One at multiplatform games.

Software - 7
Game line up not so good, though nice mix or F2P games, Indie and AAA games. Also nice to get Res0gun and Contrast free with PSN+

OS - 8
Looks to be fast and does all the functions, multitasking and quick starting. Also nice to have sharing features, PS Mobile App, social integration and remote play. Basically functional but too plain.

Overall 9/10

Hell knows why some reviewers gave it a low score.

RulkezX

So the best versions of the largest winter multiplatform games (BF4, COD:G, ACIV,etc) and two exclusives that are already scoring well from what I have seen (KZ, Reso), yet there is nothing to buy on the system? I mean if you are high end pc gamer maybe (I am , and still getting KZ) but if you are a current console owner why wouldnt you move up?

Not to mention that none of this has a reason to drop the score on what is supposed to be a hardware review......

I get the feeling that both systems are going to review poorly (because they are not a tablet or made by Apple) with the shiny, snap snap snap, NFL ,snap , Tv , snaaaaaaaaap(y) Xbox scoring slightly higher, at least with US based reviewers.

Haven't read anything so far to put me off, infact a lot of cool unknows stuff has come out today.

I never paid much attention to these. A system is defined by it's games and that comes in time.

I'm pretty sure the Xbox 1 is gonna get better reviews simply b/c of Kincet and what the functionality can do, if it works right.

Even if it's the same crap the old kincet did.

old

The system will no doubt be awesome. But as of now, I am comfortable in my decision to await greatness until next year. Even then, I am likely to go ahead and get an Xbox One first for having more features and games that appeal to me.

My position exactly.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
just had a guy at work come up and ask me if I saw the PS4 reviews..

he quoted polygon and said that its just not different enough the XMB hasn't changed and its more of the old and doesn't see any reason to upgrade if its just another PS3.

I was fucking raging.. but I bit my tongue.

I am pretty sure everyone at Polygon is simply someone that couldnt get hired on at Apple. Their hipster reporters and overly self-aware design just scream Cupertino. It is the same reason I cant read Gizmodo anymore. Yeah, their PS4 review page looks great. But lets remember their SimCity debacle.

BTW I am NOT a Sony fanboy. Polygon just gets on my nerves.

Zep

Banned
just had a guy at work come up and ask me if I saw the PS4 reviews..

he quoted polygon and said that its just not different enough the XMB hasn't changed and its more of the old and doesn't see any reason to upgrade if its just another PS3.

I was fucking raging.. but I bit my tongue.

That's straight up bs. It's slick and very easy to find what you need. An evolution over the old xmb in every way.

b0neshank

Banned
I am pretty sure everyone at Polygon is simply someone that couldnt get hired on at Apple. Their hipster reporters and overly self-aware design just scream Cupertino. It is the same reason I cant read Gizmodo anymore. Yeah, their PS4 review page looks great. But lets remember their SimCity debacle.

BTW I am NOT a Sony fanboy. Polygon just gets on my nerves.

I agree and believe this myself.

dyergram

The polygon video review seemed fine to me. What's weird to me was with the wiiu there seemed to be a overriding undercurrent of assumption that when Sony and ms launched new consoles they would be full featured out of the box guess we'll see how ms get on next week.

Thoraxes

Actually all these reviews tell me is that as long as I understand the system will suffer for normal launch blues, I'll be okay.

Which is the exact type of console purchaser I am. The PS4 isn't going to be my only console, much like the same was true for the Wii U when I bought that.

Someone should reverse the Banderas gif so it goes from him doing the "so good" face to him looking shocked at the laptop.

Just kidding. I have a PS4 launch console pre-ordered. I think a lot of us on both sides have been caught up in the launch hype of both consoles. It's nice to see the press being somewhat honest for once and trying to keep everyone's hype in check instead of feeding into it. I'm buying a PS4 for its potential, Sony's first-party studios, their courtship of indie devs, specs and, of course, the cheaper price - not the launch lineup. Well, outside of ACIV, which I want to play on a next-gen console. I will eventually get an Xbox One too, though I really want to get a new gaming PC.

People are moaning about the Killzone reviews, but Killzone has never really been a killer app. Also, even sacred cows like CoD are averaging like 7's and last I checked Battlefield 4 isn't getting 9's or 10's across the board either. I'm surprised that people are getting upset at the press for handing out honest reviews for these AAA games when we've been bemoaning for so long now that the focus-tested, AAA CoD-ification of games has left a lot of AAA gaming creatively bankrupt. Just my two cents.

synce

So many Sony fanboys, WTF... I thought the Polygon review was pretty honest. The PS4's UI is a confusing mess, it can't suspend/resume or play mp3's, and the launch lineup is severely lacking (ZERO Japanese games, no next-gen fighters or RPGs, etc). 7.5 seems accurate to me, I'm holding off until it gets some more games and an OS update. Now if they give the Xboen something like 8.0, then I can understand the bitching.

EGM1966

I don't really get how you can possibly attach a score to a console at launch. It's for early adopters then - there's never a big library and with the extended media elements that came in owner PS3/360 full features are never there at launch either.

I literally have no idea the point of anything other than a factual review of the console itself at best at this point with perhaps a commentary about known games.

So many Sony fanboys, WTF... I thought the Polygon review was pretty honest. The PS4's UI is a confusing mess, it can't suspend/resume or play mp3's, and the launch lineup is severely lacking (ZERO Japanese games, no next-gen fighters or RPGs, etc). 7.5 seems accurate to me, I'm holding off until it gets some more games and an OS update. Now if they give the Xboen something like 8.0, then I can understand the bitching.

If you find the PS4 UI confusing then you have serious problems. It's simple as hell.

I think part of the problem is a lot of us are almost certain Xbox One is gonna get better treatment. I'd like to be wrong though.

btkadams

has any reviewer commented on the quality of screenshots and/or recorded video? the vita screenshot function is near useless because of its compression.

demigod

I knew it was Stephen who posted that kotaku article without even clicking it. Lets see what he says about Xbone.

Darryl

Banned
Maybe just call it a PS4 review instead of a hardware review if you are including software.

I don't get it. Most hardware reviews include software. Android hardware got docked for years over the weakness of the App ecosystem. It's the package deal they're reviewing.

HORRORSHØW

hahaha.

Remember:

Improved UI - check
Better online infrastructure - check
seamless game streaming - check
higher res and perf on multiplats - check
vastly superior controller - check
remote play with your vita - check

Should you buy this system? No.

And software being constantly mentioned in a hardware review. GAF is the go to place for hardware and software impressions. Period. The gaming press is on the verge of imploding upon itself.

Sanctuary

Hey, let's bitch about all of the things most people don't care about in the slightest, then give it a lower score than everyone else, because that's what we do at Polygon! It's not like people actually buy gaming consoles to primarily play games on or anything.

I'm surprised that they didn't bitch about how it doesn't make you eggs and toast in the mornings.

I don't typically ever complain about someone's review, and I don't ever really lean too heavily on any particular site, but anymore, it's almost expected to see Polygon giving lower scores than every single other site out there; just for infamy.

Sucks that you can't insta-open messages you receive like on Xbox.

And they got rid of the subject in messages too, right? That's actually a step back if true

sikkinixx

I feel like so many of these reviewers and people haven't ever experienced a console launch.

360? 3DS? Wii U? PS3? Vita? None of those had any unanimous OMG YOU MUST BUY A $xxx SYSTEM FOR THIS games, but had cult favourite (Resistance, Kameo, Zombie U etc) that had some good press but no 10/10 Oscar worthy stuff. Polygon giving it a SCORE is hilarious... are they gonna update it every time the firmware adds new features or a big name game comes out? What does PS3 get now? How bout the 360? Wii U got a 6.5, will Mario, Zelda, Wonderful 101 etc help bump that up?

Wynnebeck

Banned

Yup, those pesky Sony fanboys! Taking our women and ruining our water supply!

turnbuckle

It's a games console. What else are they going to review, its bluray capabilities?

The hardware?

I wouldn't want a review of a blu-ray player to base part of the review on the library. Especially at first. It pretty much goes with the territory that software will be limited.

If a company comes out with an incredible 8k television with perfect everything should it get slammed for there not being much of anything available in 4k, let alone 8k?

Im staying out most of these review threads as they tend to be a carnival of stupid at the best of times, but I will say this. There is a clear agenda not to highly praise one console or multiplatform game over another in the gaming press of today. I think your own hands on impression are the ones that are important, no matter what console of choice you get.

Clearly, until the market itself leans one way or another, no outlet wants to piss off a potential fanbase more than they have to and fuck with their ad money.

Top Bottom