• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro could end up faster than XBX thanks to Rapid Packed Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceCLea

Banned
via TechRadar

Last week, AMD announced its newest series of high end graphics cards, RX Vega, which introduce a number of new technologies on the PC platform. However, it’s since emerged that these technologies could lead to massive performance boosts on the PS4 Pro.

The PS4 Pro includes a chip manufactured by AMD based on its Polaris architecture, which is how the technology is able to come to the platform.

However despite the fact that the PS4 Pro’s upcoming competitor, the Xbox One X, is also built using AMD technology, Microsoft has opted not to include the new functionality.

In other words when 32-bits of precision are not required, the GPU could instead run two 16-bit operations in parallel, thus effectively doubling processing throughput.

For example, a shader may be calculating colors where 32-bits of accuracy is unnecessary and in this instance could drop to 16-bits to save on performance.

Developers will also need to code for the new technology in order to take advantage of it. AMD has revealed that upcoming shooters Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Far Cry 5 will do so on PC, but it’s currently unclear how large the support base will be when it comes to the console.

When the Xbox One X saw its big reveal at E3 this year, Microsoft proudly claimed that it was the most powerful console ever made. However thanks to Rapid Packed Math the gap between the two 4K consoles might be much smaller than it initially appeared.

xbot me if old

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FP16 RPM brings efficiency gains to the Pro GPU but it isn't going to get anywhere near closing the gap in terms of raw GPU output. It's a good feature to have in a console GPU but it's not a game changer.

Perhaps the worst thread title I've seen in a long time. It's not even the name of the article, lol. It's the OP's conclusion after reading the article.

At any rate, rpm will result in performance boosts, but not to the degrees implied by the article or the OP's fever dream thread title.

This reminds me a lot of when Wii fanboys started playing up bump mapping like that shit would bridge the tech gap. Not saying you're like a Wii fanboy, OP, just that I can't get over that goddamn title lmao

_woLf

seo-secret-sauce.jpg

BruceCLea

Banned
Some publications who reiterated the article said it could be more powerful, but it should be that it narrows the power gap significantly.

I think they are talking about Cerny's 8.4 teraflop comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom