• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro provides checkerboard rendering in hardware - no cost to devs

Blanquito

More hardware/GPU features that were baked in, coming in the next weeks as well -- straight from Cerny.

Speaking to developers on site, several aspects of the checkerboard technology came into focus. Up until now, we've seen it as a software post-process upscale, but in actual fact, it's one of a number of new custom features backed into the PS4 Pro's GPU and as such comes with zero cost to game developers. We also understand that while it is a hardware feature, game-makers do seem to have a certain level of control - which may perhaps explain why different games exhibit varying levels of artefacting.

To its credit, Sony understands that a certain level of scepticism will persist here and to that end, several Sony developers on site told us that lead architect Mark Cerny will be going into the specifics of the custom hardware features in the next few weeks. Enticingly, we were also told that there was more to the GPU enhancements mentioned than just the checkerboard upscaler, so the details there should be fascinating.

Taken from Digital Foundry's excellent article, I thought it would be nice to focus on the development/hardware side of things.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro

Blanquito

Right, that's focusing on the games themselves and general impressions. I think discussing this new news about how checkerboard rendering is offered in hardware at no cost to devs is important/cool information to get out in its own thread.

Wasn't this already talked about in the leaked documents of NEO?

I don't remember them saying that checkerboard rendering would be baked into the hardware, just that it was suggested that it be used. I could be wrong though.

Blanquito

Does this method result in a blurrier image in motion and sharper when still?

From codswallup's link above, DF says about checkerboard rendering:

But what about the quality? Well, there is a slight softness in motion and hard aliased edges have an interesting dither pattern ... But the overall quality level holds up very well indeed

(Also as mentioned above, I think it's also used in Quantum Break and it is for sure used in Rainbow Six Seige, so if you've played one of those then you've seen it in action -- or maybe not for QB, according to Lord Error)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ummm. Quantum break looked blurry as Fuck. Rainbow six looks soft as well compared to uncharted and infamous.. No thanks.

HTupolev

Does this method result in a blurrier image in motion and sharper when still?
By itself, no; the checkerboard approach can technically stand alone with no temporal component. In practice, I imagine it'll probably tend to be combined with temporal reconstruction, which will cause image quality changes in motion.

Ushay

So this is what OnQ was going on about when he said it's more 'efficient' rendering instead of upscaling.

I'm sure there will still be a stark difference between native and this method?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ummm. Quantum break looked blurry as Fuck. Rainbow six looks soft as well compared to uncharted and infamous.. No thanks.
Both of those were sub 1080p games, which you're comparing to native 1080p games.

The difference here is that you're starting with a base of 1080p, which is huge. Basically, think of it as a sharper looking Uncharted and Infamous.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Well if you read the article the OP is about and links to, it states multiple times that although it looks a tad softer than native 4K, much of the benifits are still present and it is still a colossal upgrade over 1080p.

HTupolev

It's what Shadowfall used to get the 1080p multiplayer that no one realized was not 1080p until months after launch.
Tons of people realized the IQ was lower in MP. It just wasn't called out as spatially half-res because pixel counters were still relying on screenshots from static conditions. The argument that it didn't have significant IQ compromises because people didn't know what was causing the artifacts is silly.

This technique should be more powerful than Shadowfall's though, and the baseline resolution is much higher.

The difference here is that you're starting with a base of 1080p, which is huge.
A base of 2x1080p, actually.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

What your forgetting is that the sample sizes used were sub HD. In the hardware, the sample sizes are all around UHD, which will resolve the picture by itself infinitely better. And they have units inside to resolve the artifacting as well.

Hoje0308

Banned
Right, that's focusing on the games themselves and general impressions. I think discussing this new news about how checkerboard rendering is offered in hardware at no cost to devs is important/cool information to get out in its own thread.

I don't remember them saying that checkerboard rendering would be baked into the hardware, just that it was suggested that it be used. I could be wrong though.

The focus of your thread is mentioned in the OP of the other, original thread.

Caayn

So this is what OnQ was going on about when he said it's more 'efficient' rendering instead of upscaling.

He was talking about his magic "uprender" which he kept swapping the definition of depending on the situation and never managed to explain it clearly. The type of rendering talked about in the article was a thing long before the first Neo leak and onq123's magic "uprender" nonsense.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yes they did. I remember the thread.

The going theory was that it was a different form of AA. We knew the IQ was different, point is, the technique was good enough that it confused us as to what was different.

And as stated, these games will be starting off with a much higher base resolution of 2x 1080p, with evolved tequniques.

These games should look fantastic, and by all accounts they do.

Leonidas

Is it known whether the PS4 Pro will support 2560x1440 displays via settings?

With 1/2 of 4K being 12% higher resolution than 2560x1440 wouldn't this allow for a native 2560x1440 image with some downsampling?

Really hoping the support is there...

Odrion

Banned
I think that sort of scaling is extremely impressive, there's a difference between native and that but it's much better than the other scaling solutions I've seen.

With that + rendering games at 1440p or 1880p I think you'll get a noticeably better image quality on a 4K television than normal 1080p.

onQ123

He was talking about his magic "uprender" which he kept swapping the definition of depending on the situation and never managed to explain it clearly. The type of rendering talked about in the article was a thing long before the first Neo leak and onq123's magic "uprender" nonsense.

I was right accept it

onQ123

As right as Jeff Rigby. This isn't a more efficient way to render at 4k. It has its trades in IQ. Deal with it.

Your comment don't even make sense. how is it not a more efficient way to get 4K when they are achieving 4K when everyone said they couldn't?

HTupolev

Your comment don't even make sense. how is it not a more efficient way to get 4K when they are achieving 4K when everyone said they couldn't?
It is not native spatial 4K rendering.

They're rendering 2x1080p, and guessing the other 2x1080p pixels based on the real spatial samples. It's literally upscaling.

The going theory was that it was a different form of AA. We knew the IQ was different, point is, the technique was good enough that it confused us as to what was different.

But it was different in a negative way.

They're rendering 2x1080p, and guessing the other 2x1080p pixels based on the real spatial samples. It's literally upscaling.
You won't get through to him lol.

vpance

Not quite though is it? It's guessing them with some knowledge vs stretching pixels, basically

HTupolev

Not quite though is it? It's guessing them with some knowledge vs stretching pixels, basically
There's not really a difference. You can use different sample patterns and different resolve filters, but it's all basically the same thing.

The checkerboard method being discussed here is quite nice; it gets good results, and should play very well with temporal AA.

Because they're not ? It's not native, the IQ isn't as good, it's a temporal/upscaled/callitwhateveryouwant, case closed.
Also, not everyone is saying they can't achieve native 4K. They definitely can. But not on all the games, that's for sure and that's already a reality.

Odrion

Banned
There's not really a difference. You can use different sample patterns and different resolve filters, but it's all basically the same thing.

The checkerboard method being discussed here is quite nice; it gets good results, and should play very well with temporal AA.

Yes, but it's a very good up-scaling method and we should welcome it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Because they're not ? It's not native, the IQ isn't as good, it's a temporal/upscaled/callitwhateveryouwant, case closed.

That was never a possibility on games like the ones they showed today.

It seems to produce a pretty impressive effect, unless we think the DF guy is totally full of shit for some reason... Don't really see the need to be so smug and pedantic. This is as good as could have reasonably been expected.

HTupolev

Yes, but it's a very good up-scaling method and we should welcome it.
That was never a possibility on games like the ones they showed today.

It seems to produce a pretty impressive effect, unless we think the DF guy is totally full of shit for some reason... Don't really see the need to be so smug and pedantic. This is as good as could have reasonably been expected.
Nobody is disagreeing that it's a cool technique that gets good results.

HTupolev

Don't really get what this is
In a rough, very small nutshell.

lnYHDdx.png

Render the red pixels.
Calculate everything else.

Top Bottom