• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

gtj1092

It's only Amazon but it seems as if every ps4 is flying up the charts and shockingly enough none of them can play UHD Blu rays. I won't be buying a pro but I'm not the average consumer.

Audioboxer

It's only Amazon but it seems as if every ps4 is flying up the charts and shockingly enough none of them can play UHD Blu rays. I won't be buying a pro but I'm not the average consumer.

Of course it is going to do that, it's not just a lick of paint (like the Slim), it's fundamentally a generational leap in quality. People are kidding themselves if they think the Pro isn't going to sell at $399 (especially not because of UHD BR). It's not so much to do with 4K PR/marketing, it's because it's a much faster PS4.

Yeah, the messaging is crazy bad. Imagine someone going in to purchase a 4k tv this holiday.

Sales person : would you like to add a ps4 pro to that purchase to enhance your 4k experience?

Customer: oh wow, that sounds like a good idea actually. So it plays games in 4k?

Sales person : well, kind of.

Customer:. It plays 4k blu rays though?

Sales person: no

Customer: ...

2 College buddies are the electronics/games manager at 2 different big box stores in the LA area and literally not one person has asked about the Xbox one S playing UHD disc yet.

TheYanger

Of course it is going to do that, it's not just a lick of paint (like the Slim), it's fundamentally a generational leap in quality. People are kidding themselves if they think the Pro isn't going to sell at $399 (especially not because of UHD BR). It's not so much to do with 4K PR/marketing, it's because it's a much faster PS4.

Nobody is saying it's not going to sell, they're saying it's a stupid decision that is pissing them as consumers off.

cbrun44

Plus side of all of this is if I have no 4K Blu-Ray Player, I can't spend money on 4K Blu-Rays. I'll take that as a win for the wallet.

Being real, most niche movies I'm interested in will never come to 4k Blu-Ray. Will always be the newest Blockbuster which is fine but not my thing. I'm ok with pedestrian Blu-Ray.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
24 hours later i'm still upset with Sony for this cock up.

After the event there was so much talk with developers about image quality, HDR etc. 4K BluRay is such a missed opportunity for any movie buff that appreciates good image quality.

I just wonder how many sales have been lost to people that were considering buying a Pro primarily as a 4K BluRay player. l bought PS3 primarily for BluRay but found l gradually started buying Sony first party games and enjoying it more than just a BluRay player.

:(

Plus side of all of this is if I have no 4K Blu-Ray Player, I can't spend money on 4K Blu-Rays. I'll take that as a win for the wallet.

Being real, most niche movies I'm interested in will never come to 4k Blu-Ray. Will always be the newest Blockbuster which is fine but not my thing. I'm ok with pedestrian Blu-Ray.

BvS 4k Blu-Ray costs €40 on amazon.de right now. Might as well buy a game instead... Damn this is some expensive stuff.

4K disc are about $5-10 more than the standard Bluray. However you get the 4k version, the 1080p version, and the 4k digital version. Even without a 4k player, buying the 4k disc is a better deal than buying a Bluray that still gets packaged with the shitty DVD. Then if you ever do get a 4k player, you already have the movies in your collection.

MrCarter

Yep same here in the UK. The PS4 Pro is top seller right now and I'm sure it will remain that way until the launch. It seems gamers only care about the games. Strange.

gtj1092

Yep same here in the UK. The PS4 Pro is top seller right now and I'm sure it will remain that way until the launch. It seems gamers only care about the games. Strange.

Looks like it's number one in Japan too. I understand personal disappointment. UHD was the only thing that made me even consider it but I'm not delusional enough to think this will significantly hurt sales in anyway. Did we all forget the 360 launched with DVD? I can guarantee over half the people in this thread owned a 360.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I just thought about this, I've had my ps4 since november 2013 and have watched countless blu rays on it. Notice how people who care about movie IQ care about 4k blu ray, and those who don't care about 4k blu ray dont care about movie IQ?

It does not stop the former buying expensive UHD TV's, perhaps paying for professional calibration, and then connecting a bandwidth constrained highly compressed video stream to it and posting about how they do not buy Blu-Ray's as using streaming and not plain ol' discs makes you feel more modern ;).

Sometimes the battle between luddites and modernists-for-modernity's sake people is so so depressing :(.

rpg_fan

The more I think about it the more I think they just missed their mark here. The specs bump will be nice, but I'm happy with my current ps4. I was absolutely going to buy one if the price was right, because I wanted to get the 4k bluray in the process. With that out, I may as well wait for price drops or sales.

I went from a strong 'probably' to a 'probably not at the moment', with the only difference being support for 4k bluray. I'm sure I'll wind up with one, since my bedroom tv is 4k, but not this year.

It's worth bearing in mind Sony don't have any form of consumer UHD BD player available at all, that includes consumer electronics.

I'm wondering if this is a Sony Corporate strategy to not support UHD BD? Maybe Sony have been burned one too many times supporting niche physical storage formats?

Oersted

It's worth bearing in mind Sony don't have any form of consumer UHD BD player available at all, that includes consumer electronics.

I'm wondering if this is a Sony Corporate strategy to not support UHD BD? Maybe Sony have been burned one too many times supporting niche physical storage formats?

There is a difference between industry standard and proprietary format bullshit Sony loves to pull off.

I'm going to jump on the "I don't care" wagon with this, I haven't touched physical media in years. I also have an Xbox One S, so I REALLY don't care.

PS4 Pro pre-ordered!

Decado

4K disc are about $5-10 more than the standard Bluray. However you get the 4k version, the 1080p version, and the 4k digital version. Even without a 4k player, buying the 4k disc is a better deal than buying a Bluray that still gets packaged with the shitty DVD. Then if you ever do get a 4k player, you already have the movies in your collection.
Can you play the 4k digital version on the ps4?

MaulerX

Looks like it's number one in Japan too. I understand personal disappointment. UHD was the only thing that made me even consider it but I'm not delusional enough to think this will significantly hurt sales in anyway. Did we all forget the 360 launched with DVD? I can guarantee over half the people in this thread owned a 360.

Not sure why people keep bringing this up. The 360 launched when Bluray players didn't exist.

Audioboxer

Of course there is, but LaserDisc was also a standard once. As was HD-DVD.

I wonder if Sony Corporate are extremely sceptical of UHD BD?

I would just say PlayStation is probably indifferent. Sony movies may have wanted a different say, but ain't nobody telling Kaz what to do with the profit he's managing. Especially not after Sony movies and the PS3 Spider-Man font influencing.

They'll just leave the fight for relevance up to others and come in with UHD at a later date if it doesn't flatline itself into irrelevance.

I'll say it again but in the gaming sector, so between Xbox and PlayStation, no matter how hard MS try on Twitter, UHD is not going to cause the One S to start outselling the PS4 2:1 and make the Pro flop. It's just not going to. We'll see in a few months what NPDs are like for those that don't buy my 2 cents.

I refuse to start over my blu-ray collection for 4k, no no no.... thats just me.

Sony leaving out UHD is a dumb move
Same here. I already replaced my dvd collection. The thing is, I am very satisfied with 1080p. So, I don't feel the need to replace my blurays with 4K blurays. I am going to buy new movies in 4K or whatever I haven't added to my movie/show collection.

Chrisdk

I doubt it since they have confirmed that they will release a UHD bluray player. They have already showcased it at IFA.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Of course there is, but LaserDisc was also a standard once. As was HD-DVD.

I wonder if Sony Corporate are extremely sceptical of UHD BD?

Why push a format that really shows the quality your TV can produce, nah... better push people to enjoy compressed much lower bitrate streams... ;)?

sector4

I doubt it since they have confirmed that they will release a UHD bluray player. They have already showcased it at IFA.
Also Sony Pictures has been one of the biggest supporters of the format early on. They even released those "Mastered in 4K" regular Blu Rays before we had proper 4K Blu Ray.

masteredin4kspiderman.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would just say PlayStation is probably indifferent. Sony movies may have wanted a different say, but ain't nobody telling Kaz what to do with the profit he's managing. Especially not after Sony movies and the PS3 Spider-Man font influencing.

Or maybe the electronics group is pushing for PS4K not to hav it as to make their standalone 4K Blu-Ray player fit its premium pricing better (PS4 Pro not undercutting it in price). It is stupid, but I can see it happening unfortunately... especially if the company, which weirdly on he other side has a lot of interest in great 4K content and sells Blu-Ray discs, thinks 4K Blu-Ray is perhaps a fad... again something I disagree with, but Sony might think that.

Hex

Banned
Blu rays sell less than DVDs; they don't sell like shit.

By the week ending July 3rd, Star Wars Force Awakens sold
(Bolded is life to date)
(-) Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens 24,492 -25% 5,062,883 $611,330 $127,336,594

On DVD

(14) Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens 20,939 -15% 1,529,397 $417,942 $26,352,159

Kung Fu Panda 3
Blu

(-) Kung Fu Panda 3 359,706 359,706 $7,179,732 $7,179,732

DVD:
(-) Kung Fu Panda 3 286,680 286,680 $4,549,612 $4,549,612

It is the trend for most if not all "popular" movies.
So I would really appreciate it if people would not spout off idiocy and try to clowndick the facts with shit they hear other people say.

Hex

Banned
"Not enough interest"?
Maybe if the updated version of the most popular console this generation supported it... That may have changed?

I seem to see alot of interest across social media and the web.
They got caught with their pants down on this one, they thought the price would be the be all and end all and you know what if the presentation was no so irritatingly boring and bleh they might have been able to do some sleight of hand but by the time they got on stage they already knew that they fucked up.

oSoLucky

This made my decision to get the XB1S Halo bundle a couple weeks ago a lot better now at least. Guess there's no chance of me being single console for the next 4 years minimum now.

sector4

"Not enough interest"?
Maybe if the updated version of the most popular console this generation supported it... That may have changed?

Exactly, goddamn.... It's so frustrating.. It seemed like such an obvious thing!

Since the XB1 doesn't support Dolby Atmos (afaik, please correct me if there's a way to get the signal to a reciever) I'll probably need to buy a stand alone player in addition to an XB1 anyway... This is a pretty fringe case, and the XB1 will be suitable for most people as a 4K Blu Ray player.

It's such a weird decision.

They're promoting some of the biggest cinematic advancements like 4K and HDR, but are completely ignoring BD (their "own" format, even) which comes with much higher quality.

I mean, to me, 4K and HDR means very little if you're watching a compressed low quality stream. What's the purpose if it still looks like a Youtube clip?

edit: And I agree completely, the market is going towards an all-digital future—and I'm totally embracing that—but 4K movies are simply not viable for the digital market yet. <100GB for a single movie is not reasonable for a lot of people - not even compressed <20GB, which means a significant downgrade in quality, both in terms of audio and video. Some people are happy with that, and that's totally fine - but even then, I think a lot of people appreciates the possibility of playing your favorite movies in the highest fidelity possible.

And before people claim "people who care will just buy a separate device": yes, some will do, but far from all of them. Having several devices (for largely the same purpose) isn't optimal, and the IQ difference between a separate BD vs. PS4 would be minimal. And considering PS4 Pro is partially aimed at enthusiasts, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a high quality option when it comes to movies.

Yeah so was the Xbox one s. It's like a day after the announcement. We need to wait out a bit longer than 24 hours.

The regular ps4 with cod bo3 is doing well.

ahahaha oh my god... This bundle did not exist yesterday.. (Australian retailer)

015gX2M.png
I think this will be an issue during the holidays. Retailers will make the Xbox one s appear to be a better 4K machine than PS4P. I am thinking tv bundles with the system plus 4K movies.

ahahaha oh my god... This bundle did not exist yesterday.. (Australian retailer)

015gX2M.png
Good. As much as Sony consoles are my preference I hope Microsoft do well out of including the player in their console. Sony have been caught drinking their own bathwater and will hopefully feel at least a little pinch regarding this. Sony's support of 4K through out its various divisions has been incredibly muddled and this is just another prime example of it.
Although rather hypocritically I'll still be buying a Pro. The increased performance for 1080p titles and hopeful PSVR enhancements can't be ignored.

gtj1092

Yeah so was the Xbox one s. It's like a day after the announcement. We need to wait out a bit longer than 24 hours.

The regular ps4 with cod bo3 is doing well.

Have you read this thread? People are claiming the conference and pro are a disaster and UHD is very important. Pointing out the bo3 bundle is doing well proves my point. Two non UHD consoles are out selling the X1S.

Our feeling is that while physical media continues to be a big part of the games business, we see a trend on video towards streaming.

Well, certainly, but isn't physical media still a big part in the movie business as well?

Considering games are identical, no matter format - whereas movies are significantly lower quality in digital form vs. physical (BDs).

Top Bottom