• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

sector4

50 pages of misinformation.
Y'all must have missed this announcement:

pEi8obX.jpg

bwahahahaha

Inbachi

Neo Member
This doesn't affect me at all since I don't have a 4K TV and won't for a long time (probably) but it's still disappointing.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think this will be an issue during the holidays. Retailers will make the Xbox one s appear to be a better 4K machine than PS4P. I am thinking tv bundles with the system plus 4K movies.

It'll be great until they see the difference between the same game running on Xbone S and PS4 Pro, kinda think one having literally triple the TFlops of the other is going to be very noticeable.

WadeitOut

It'll be great until they see the difference between the same game running on Xbone S and PS4 Pro, kinda think one having literally triple the TFlops of the other is going to be very noticeable.

Except they won't see that. Because no games being shown take advantage of those TFlops. And it's not like stores are going to be displaying them both side by side anyways lol.

It's worth bearing in mind Sony don't have any form of consumer UHD BD player available at all, that includes consumer electronics.

I'm wondering if this is a Sony Corporate strategy to not support UHD BD? Maybe Sony have been burned one too many times supporting niche physical storage formats?

There is a mention Sony have UHD players coming in 2017 and they cite they're waiting for the market to improve before they step in. I'm sure Sony will add a UHD to the Pro, just question of when.

http://4k.com/news/sony-is-also-moving-into-the-manufacture-of-4k-uhd-blu-ray-players-12371/

Naudi

Banned
1248715795982.png

Like you said, it's mind boggling what Sony is doing or better yet...smoking.

I'm kinda a home theater junkie and pride myself on a nice set up. Sony has *always* been part of the core set up of the experience.

After this news....not anymore. Looks like I'll be right with you looking at Xbox One S systems or waiting a bit longer for Scorpio. Either way, Sony has burnt through almost all their good will with me. I've literally(rather foolishly now looking back at it) spent thousands of dollars on supporting them as I'm sure others have done as well.

I've got TWO Playstation 4s in my house. One in the living room I use with my youngest son who's 13 and I bought my 16 year old his own for his bedroom. That means we have to buy DOUBLE of everything. We love playing Destiny together(14 gig update dropped today!). PSN access for the year(over 100 dollars), wireless 7.1 channel headphones(the only way to go for us(well over $100 a pair). We went though 4! Sony gold wireless headsets and they're junk. They break at the same weak points everytime and got tired of duct taping them. We've gone through at least 6 dual shock 4 controllers. Honestly, Destiny destroyed them lol.

Anyways, my point being I don't take my support or money I spend towards Sony lightly but apparently they do and them not including a 4K Blu Ray player in the PS4 Pro just told me to "fuck off" imo. So Microsoft will be getting that money now.

Not sure if this has been said yet, but you don't have to buy 2 PS+ memberships and you can share game library as well. Your can even play online together.

ahahaha oh my god... This bundle did not exist yesterday.. (Australian retailer)

015gX2M.png

Walmart (US) is doing a buy Xbox One Slim get a free game and UHD movie too.

Welp, now is definitely the time to be scooping up those disappointed potential customers.
A whole boatload of people are suddenly realizing they need to look elsewhere and Microsoft is clearly glad to be that elsewhere.

My favorite examples were Larry's tweets immediately after the meeting just casually throwing out there that there already is a console that plays 4k blurays in hdr and can stream 4k netflix since a month ago.

You'd think that Sony wouldn't want to give Microsoft an inch and instead they gave them a mile. A clear and obvious line of thinking for some consumers to go down that doesnt point toward Sony. It's not a door you'd expect them to leave open, leaving a major feature for a competitor to satisfy.

The lack of a 4K Bluray drive was an incredibly dumb decision. They're pushing 4K and HDR in about every way possible and then don't include an UHD Bluray drive? Ridiculous.

Oh well, gives me a reason to pick up an Xbox One S alongside the PS4 Pro.

That's the biggest reason it's so confusing. The way they advertise the PS4Pro they make higher resolution output to be one of the biggest selling points, with them talking about upscaling to 4k and all the 4k media you can consume on the device and how amazing hdr 4k displays look. It was a large chunk of the meeting and Cerny spent a good deal of time going on about it.
Then they shoot themselves in their own foot by making a choice directly counter to that same goal/idea.
Really just...weird. Not consistent at all.

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/090816_1630

thedigitalbits said:
However, it’s been noted around the Net in the last day or so that the actual disc structure and drive hardware are essentially the same between regular Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. So it seems very possible that, once Sony Consumer Electronics’ set-top Ultra HD Blu-ray player finally arrives in stores and sells through for a while, you could see Sony Interactive Entertainment surprise people with a firmware update that adds full 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc compatibility to the PlayStation 4 Pro.

eXMomoj

The lack of a 4K Bluray drive was an incredibly dumb decision. They're pushing 4K and HDR in about every way possible and then don't include an UHD Bluray drive? Ridiculous.

Oh well, gives me a reason to pick up an Xbox One S alongside the PS4 Pro.

Hawk269

I have a few friends that are serious PS4 fans and they love the system. They were eagerly waiting for the NEO and one of the features was the 4k Blu Ray player. They wanted a better gaming console but also a UHD player. Now, they are not sure what they are going to do. Some of these guys are now thinking of just sticking with the standard PS4 and getting a Xbox One since it is the cheapest entry point for a UHD player.

I know that some argue that Sony is focusing on the gaming aspect only, but if that was the case they would of not spend time talking about 4k Netflix and You Tube and talking about certain 4k TV Shows. In this day and age, gaming consoles are media machines as well and not having the UHD player I think was a mistake. It just would of added a lot more value to the system and looking at the cost, it would of not been that much more. But we don't know the build of materials and it seems Sony was dead set on having this at $399.99. I know the suits would not allow them to have a loss on each console sold, but is the cost of leaving out the UHD drive going to hurt in the long run?

For my small group of friends it has been a negative exclusion. I have a Pro on pre-order, but I have a Xbox One S and a Samsung UHD player so I am covered in that respect. I think once it is out a few of them will still get it, but I know of 4 of them that are dead set against it due to the exclusion.

Naudi

Banned
Given the choice I would prefer it of course for same price. But for 399$ it is a powerhouse compared to any other console out for probably a year. Much rather the extra power for games since I never watch disks on it. I mean holy shit did you see how those games looked? Amazing!

bidguy

Banned
this decision has nothing to do with focus on gaming. they have a uhd player in the pipeline ready for 2017. that must have been key in the decision to withhold uhd on pro

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lol, it's funny cause it might be true
Even funnier because it turned out to be the right decision back when MS did it...

especially if the company, which weirdly on he other side has a lot of interest in great 4K content and sells Blu-Ray discs, thinks 4K Blu-Ray is perhaps a fad... again something I disagree with, but Sony might think that.
I doubt they think it's a fad as much as it a case of diminishing returns. BluRay sales peaked significantly lower than DVD sales did - the highest selling BRD movies don't even manage half the sales of any of the top 10 selling DVD movies. The cumulative sales of the top ten best selling BRD movies of all time barely manage to outsell the #1 DVD movie of all time (Finding Nemo). It stands to reason the trend will continue for UHD.

Hawk269

Given the choice I would prefer it of course for same price. But for 399$ it is a powerhouse compared to any other console out for probably a year. Much rather the extra power for games since I never watch disks on it. I mean holy shit did you see how those games looked? Amazing!

I agree. I was just in complete shock in the thread leading up to the conference that some would consider it "shit" if it was 4.2tf machine and that it needed to me 5tf or better and Zen Lite CPU. I mean, this is a monster machine for a great price and while many games will not be true native 4k, what they are doing is a substantial improvement over standard PS4/Xbox One games.

I just hope between now and the launch of the unit that more older games get a patch to take advantage of it.

Hawk269

this decision has nothing to do with focus on gaming. they have a uhd player in the pipeline ready for 2017. that must have been key in the decision to withhold uhd on pro

Even if they have a standalone player coming next year, Sony has always used their consoles as a Trojan horse for new media delivery. PS2 for DVD, PS3 for Blu Ray. PS4 came out too early to have it, but that is why the PRO not having it is so shocking for many, myself included. Even with a pending standalone player, Sony could have really marketed this thing as a great gaming machine that has no competition and the best media device all in one system.

Kawngi

I guess Sony was bound to slip up at some point this generation, they were killing it before this. Just super baffling to omit this feature :/

Blastoise

Banned
In Sony's eyes not many people have 4K TVs so they thought that having a UHD drive would not be required. However they should've realised that the PS4 Pro would've made people upgrade their TVs, just like how PS3 and Bluray did. A misstep by Sony. But something that can be fixed in the future...... I hope.

riotous

Banned
Even if they have a standalone player coming next year, Sony has always used their consoles as a Trojan horse for new media delivery. PS2 for DVD, PS3 for Blu Ray. PS4 came out too early to have it, but that is why the PRO not having it is so shocking for many, myself included. Even with a pending standalone player, Sony could have really marketed this thing as a great gaming machine that has no competition and the best media device all in one system.

Sony also launched a 4k streaming service this year.

They see a "trend" an want to benefit from it; so forgo a bit of consumer choice, save a few bucks on hardware in the PS4 Pro and hopefully help your streaming service take off.

bidguy

Banned

They see a "trend" an want to benefit from it; so forgo a bit of consumer choice, save a few bucks on hardware in the PS4 Pro and hopefully help your streaming service take off.

4k streaming is trash

a 1080p blu ray looks better than a 4k stream. its not an alternative

Robot Pants

In Sony's eyes not many people have 4K TVs so they thought that having a UHD drive would not be required. However they should've realised that the PS4 Pro would've made people upgrade their TVs, just like how PS3 and Bluray did. A misstep by Sony. But something that can be fixed in the future...... I hope.

So they made an entire console for them instead... haha ok

Naudi

Banned

What? It's basically for people with 4k tvs lol.

MaulerX

That is the weirdest argument. Why make the Pro then? What's the point if it wasn't 4K?

Nephtis

Well, Sony just lost a sale from me.

I was absolutely ready to buy a PS4 Pro but if it won't play 4k Blurays I will be skipping it and getting me a XBONE instead.

I hope they're happy giving all that money away to Microsoft.

Kai Ozu

Really pissed about this, waited all this damn time for Sony to make this announcement and we get this, guess I'll just wait for Scorpio next year. i was willing to pay $600 for a really nice premium PS4.

Robot Pants

You know, MS announced the Slim with a UHD drive in it months ago. Sony has known this, it's not like it popped up over night.
Sony could have EASILY put the nail in the coffin for MS this holiday season, and probably the whole generation by putting a fucking drive in there. But no, now they just gave people a reason to buy an Xbox.

What is wrong with them?! This has to be one of the stupidest decisions they've made, and their excuses are so aggravating.

MaulerX

You know, MS announced the Slim with a UHD drive in it months ago. Sony has known this, it's not like it popped up over night.
Sony could have EASILY put the nail in the coffin for MS this holiday season, and probably the whole generation by putting a fucking drive in there. But no, now they just gave people a reason to buy an Xbox.

What is wrong with them?! This has to be one of the stupidest decisions they've made, and their excuses are so aggravating.

You're right. But if anything it goes to show you how deep down the rabbit hole Sony already was with the Neo/Pro. It probably was already being massed produced at the time. And to think people were guessing/hoping for upgrades.

I have a few friends that are serious PS4 fans and they love the system. They were eagerly waiting for the NEO and one of the features was the 4k Blu Ray player. They wanted a better gaming console but also a UHD player. Now, they are not sure what they are going to do. Some of these guys are now thinking of just sticking with the standard PS4 and getting a Xbox One since it is the cheapest entry point for a UHD player.

I know that some argue that Sony is focusing on the gaming aspect only, but if that was the case they would of not spend time talking about 4k Netflix and You Tube and talking about certain 4k TV Shows. In this day and age, gaming consoles are media machines as well and not having the UHD player I think was a mistake. It just would of added a lot more value to the system and looking at the cost, it would of not been that much more. But we don't know the build of materials and it seems Sony was dead set on having this at $399.99. I know the suits would not allow them to have a loss on each console sold, but is the cost of leaving out the UHD drive going to hurt in the long run?

For my small group of friends it has been a negative exclusion. I have a Pro on pre-order, but I have a Xbox One S and a Samsung UHD player so I am covered in that respect. I think once it is out a few of them will still get it, but I know of 4 of them that are dead set against it due to the exclusion.

They spent maybe what? 5-8 minutes on those. They kind of just wooshed through them.

Well, Sony just lost a sale from me.

I was absolutely ready to buy a PS4 Pro but if it won't play 4k Blurays I will be skipping it and getting me a XBONE instead.

I hope they're happy giving all that money away to Microsoft.

So true, I doubt sony knows how successful the UHD market really is.

But no, now they just gave people a reason to buy an Xbox.

The #&$@ ?! Whats wrong buying an Xbox?

Have to agree tho Pro is kinna DOA, there will be ton of sales but once Scorp launches it will get buried and demolished for good. High 5 brehs 😎

Robot Pants

Have to agree tho Pro is kinna DOA, there will be ton of sales but once Scorp launches it will get buried and demolished for good. High 5 brehs ��

Nothing.
But from their point of view, why would they want to give their competition any advantage? Throw in a UHD player and the choice between the two is a lot harder for a lot of people.

oh i see. you kinda seem....MS biased..

Have to agree tho Pro is kinna DOA, there will be ton of sales but once Scorp launches it will get buried and demolished for good. High 5 brehs ��

Considering the release date on that thing, that's some silly logic. If the scorpio is priced well, it will do well I'm sure, but there is a lot of time for that pro to sell.

Hawk269

They actually already did this when the first 4k sets came out. They released the XI Media player (I still have one). It was a special box that you could download/stream 4k content from Sony to play on Sony 4k sets. This was back in 2013. Sony has had this service since then. I don't think the exclusion was because of a newer service coming...since they already have one.

riotous

Banned
They actually already did this when the first 4k sets came out. They released the XI Media player (I still have one). It was a special box that you could download/stream 4k content from Sony to play on Sony 4k sets. This was back in 2013. Sony has had this service since then. I don't think the exclusion was because of a newer service coming...since they already have one.

Yes the download service; they released a streaming service this year.

Not sure what your point is or what that had to do with my point.

My point is Sony has services they are clearly prioritizing over UHD BR. If you think Sony doesn't use PlayStation to support their other ventures then you haven't been paying attention; and while that used to be their disk based formats now they are favoriting their streaming setvice(s).

Curufinwe

You're delusional if you think this gen wasn't settled along time ago and that UHD will make a significant difference.

OCD Guy

The chances of the PS4 suddenly dying in terms of sales is unlikely.

It's unlikely the Xbox one will completely die too, but if I'm honest out of the two consoles it's the most likely to die.

Also by the time Scorpio launches there will be millions of Pro owners, so Microsoft will have lot's of catching up to do....

If we're honest the lack of UHD player is a minor blemish on an otherwise very successful console. My PS4 plays blu-rays too, but I can't remember the last time I watched one on it. I don't doubt people use their consoles for physical media, and I'm sure that the lack of UHD player will result in lost sales, but I can't see it having a major impact.

Most people buy a games console to play games on them.

Top Bottom