• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

Curufinwe

It'll be great until they see the difference between the same game running on Xbone S and PS4 Pro, kinda think one having literally triple the TFlops of the other is going to be very noticeable.

The difference between COD on Xbone vs PS4 Pro will be noticeable, yeah.

I just don't get it.

They miss the opportunity to convert PS4 users to UHD buyers.

They miss the opportunity to convert 4KTV owners/AV enthusiasts to PS4 gamers/App users.

And they leave the latter opportunities to their competitor.

For a $15 BOM difference. That's the difference in cost between a single blu-ray and it's UHD version. It's nothing.

ZaQ_Q

Neo Member
So there's been a lot of user education over how HDR is a separate feature from 4K, where previously the two ideas were thought to be only available together. Since everyone is so pumped for HDR does this mean (1) regular 1080p Blu-rays (and their players) can support HDR? and (2) HDR 1080p tvs may come out?

Metfanant

I just don't get it.

They miss the opportunity to convert 4KTV owners/AV enthusiasts to PS4 gamers/App users.

For a $15 BOM difference. That's the difference in cost between a single blu-ray and it's UHD version. It's nothing.

No...that was the estimated cost for the drive in the Xbox One S...those costs cannot be directly translated to the cost of the PS4 drive...period...

Sony has not even released their own stand alone UHD player (and don't intend to until at least 2017) THAT is very telling of their feelings about the market for these discs...

As has been stated MULTIPLE times, since it's reveal the PS4 has been marketed as a gaming device...NOT an all inclusive entertainment device (that's how the PS3 was marketed)...

Sony OBVIOUSLY wanted to hit the $399 price point with the Pro at all costs...and they have also made it very clear they are no longer willing to all hardware at a loss (like the did with PS3)...

The closest competition to the Pro right now is the 1tb version of the Xbone S which costs $349...

Yes, the S has its UHD BD drive...but the Pro has WAY more than $50 worth of upgrades over the S on the gaming side of the equation...

The inclusion of a UHD drive (that Sony DOESNT EVEN MANUFACTURE YET!) would have certainly pushed the cost of the console beyond $399

I just don't get it.

This is along the same lines of my thinking. I thought pushing 4K was the whole(most) of the point.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You're delusional if you think this gen wasn't settled along time ago and that UHD will make a significant difference.

I know, its kinda funny to me that UHD seemed barely a talking point when S was unveiled at E3, and now its this huge difference maker apparently!

Nipo

So there's been a lot of user education over how HDR is a separate feature from 4K, where previously the two ideas were thought to be only available together. Since everyone is so pumped for HDR does this mean (1) regular 1080p Blu-rays (and their players) can support HDR? and (2) HDR 1080p tvs may come out?

In theory 1080p hdr sets could exist but no manufacturer has indicated a desire to make them. Hdr is still a premium feature even a lot of of 4k tvs in 2015 didst have it and a lot of 4k tvs in 2016 have fake hdr.

I know, its kinda funny to me that UHD seemed barely a talking point when S was unveiled at E3, and now its this huge difference maker apparently!

It wasn't really a talking point because the general assumption was that UHD Blu-Ray was going to be in the Neo/Pro. Not because of any implied fanboy bullshit.

Arklite

I just don't get it.

It's surprising for Sony not push a new format twice this generation considering their push for CD, DVD, and Blu ray. With how vested Sony is as a company in films, television, and media players it seems their PS strategy is to go essentials only, probably due to how well the PS4 did.

shpankey

not an idiot
Disappointing to say the least. Talk about missing the boat.

At the start of this gen, it was Microsoft making unbelievably stupid decisions. Seems like they are finally recovering from stupidity and now Sony gladly steps in to do the same. :facepalm

Phreak47

Disc movie sales/rentals are still in rapid decline. I've been one of the biggest holdouts on letting it go, because it's still the best way to watch (esp. with a DTS Master Audio capable receiver)... but still I give a big fat ho-hum to this outcry. I'm tired of collecting discs. I'm over it.

Nothing.
But from their point of view, why would they want to give their competition any advantage? Throw in a UHD player and the choice between the two is a lot harder for a lot of people.

Just let people make the choice.

Choose a 3yr old console, that wasn't the most powerful at release, with a UHD drive. Or a console 3x as powerful.

And it's only really a choice in the US, I don't think they'll be many Germans struggling to decide between a PS4 pro and a XB1 S.

2thepoint

When the talking point keeps fluxing from secret sauce, hidden GPUs, Titanfall, removing Kinect, Power of the Cloud, price cut, Halo 5, and so on - soon they all proved to have made little to no difference in turning the tides.

The tides did turn - just as a tsunami against Xbox One.

And now we have moved to the UHD talking point - because, lets face it, the major reason its been touted all of a sudden is because Sony opted to not include it for now.

Real game changer for the mass market......

giphy.gif

As has been stated MULTIPLE times, since it's reveal the PS4 has been marketed as a gaming device...NOT an all inclusive entertainment device (that's how the PS3 was marketed)...

Actually, if we go back to the PS4's reveal, they said it would be capable of 4K media, it was "future proof".

So, despite being a games machine, they WERE marketing it as an all inclusive entertainment device.

Metfanant

Dude, I'm talking about the PS4 reveal, not even talking about the Pro.

Just saying, Sony were pushing 4K media capabilities right from the reveal, despite being 'games first'.
Sony said very clearly, that the PS4 COULD output 4k "pictures and video" it was NEVER marketed as a 4k media machine...please show me where it was

Crayon

Not really, there were rumors the iphone would ditch that going back a year at least.

There was always the expectation that the Pro would have UHD.

I didn't know the headphone jack was rumored that long ago. Still similar in a "Because fuck 'em/ That's why" sense.

j26GJNu.jpg

Metfanant

This is eerily similar to the headphone jack thing, isn't it?
What!?

Not really, there were rumors the iphone would ditch that going back a year at least.

There was always the expectation that the Pro would have UHD.

Rumors? Motorola ditched the headphone jack on the Moto Z in reality MONTHS before the iPhone 7

No? One is an essential standard being removed, another is opting out of something unproven and never had to begin with

Does the difference really allude you?

Not sure what's so "essential" about a headphone jack...but ok

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
What part of "4k media" can't the PS4 Pro do exactly?

The part that offers the highest quality 4k image. What most people don't understand is that resolution is only half of the equation when it comes to streaming. The other half is bitrate, and with 4k streaming the bitrate is shit.

Yes, physical disc movies are a niche market, but this is Sony's top shelf media machine. With all the PR about 4k it's not crazy to expect it to be compatible with the best quality source material for 4k.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
When the talking point keeps fluxing from secret sauce, hidden GPUs, Titanfall, removing Kinect, Power of the Cloud, price cut, Halo 5, and so on - soon they all proved to have made little to no difference in turning the tides.

The tides did turn - just as a tsunami against Xbox One.

And now we have moved to the UHD talking point - because, lets face it, the major reason its been touted all of a sudden is because Sony opted to not include it for now.

Real game changer for the mass market......

giphy.gif

UHD was talked about ever since they unveiled Xbox One S, what are you even talking about? Everyone was excited in here when there were leaks and unconfirmed rumors of UHD BD and it then got confirmed at the conference because it was going to be the cheapest UHD played on the market while offering good value in terms of the system itself.

Also, to whoever is saying there is only a 50$ difference between the S and the Pro, there is a 100$ difference between the 2 lowest SKUs. No point in comparing with same HDD capacity. So for 300$ (same price as a slim btw) you get a UHD drive, while for 100$ more, you do get 4k gaming vs 4k upscaled on the S, but you don't get the UHD drive, which has always been a will always be a big selling point as it is one of the best ways to showcase 4K TVs, especially the ones Sony is trying to sell. Also, UHD Blu-ray is currently selling at a faster pace than HD Blu-ray was at its release so there is a high demand for it and Netflix or Amazon 4k just doesn't cut it because of compression, and nobody wants to pay 25$ for a digital version of a movie.

For a company that always pushed for the newest physical media in its consoles as a main selling point (CDs with PS1, DVD with PS2 and Blu-ray with PS3 and 4), it is sad to see them not going forward with the newest format, especially since they have movies releasing on it (some of the best as a lot have 4K DIs).

jayu26

The part that offers the highest quality 4k image. What most people don't understand is that resolution is only half of the equation when it comes to streaming. The other half is bitrate, and with 4k streaming the bitrate is shit.

Yes, physical disc movies are a niche market, but this is Sony's top shelf media machine. With all the PR about 4k it's not crazy to expect it to be compatible with the best quality source material for 4k.

The bold. Is it?

ZaQ_Q

Neo Member
I use to be in #TeamDisappointed

but they've shown how amazing the upscaling/checkerboarding effect can be for games. Maybe that means they have an amazing blu-ray upscaler that was so effective they figured the drive wasn't necessary? Also, they may have insider knowledge that 1080p Blu-rays, at least the ones bundled with 4K discs, will support HDR soon.

thuway

I honestly don't understand the outrage. If people really want a 4K UHD player, the Xbox One S exists, and players will eventually reach that bottom of the barrel 99 dollar price tag. Dedicated 4K Bluray content is limited, expensive, and doesn't necessarily have the catalogue to see me jump in at the moment. Xbox 360 existed for how many years, and that thing didn't have a Bluray Drive.

In any case, I highly doubt those of you interested in playing the next Naughty Dog game in the highest possible will quality will turn away from the PS4 Pro because it lacks the support for a disc format.

Metfanant

People like you selling a missing feature as a statement towards gaming.... lets leave it at that.

You have to look at it this way...

- Sony wants to hit $399 at all costs...
- the nearest competition to the Pro is the 1tb Xbone S...that costs $349...
- the PS4 Pro has 3x the GPU power, faster memory, and a faster CPU...for $50 more
- The cost of a UHD BD drive would ABSOLUTELY have caused the PS4 Pro to cost more than $399

It's not an excuse..I was expecting the Pro to be Sony's first UHD player...but the Pro is a GAMING update to the PS4...and they delivered that big time...it's 3x the power of the Xbone S for only $50 more!

Hawk269

The difference between COD on Xbone vs PS4 Pro will be noticeable, yeah.

So will the difference between COD on PS4 vs. PS4 Pro. Not sure what your point is. How will 40+ million PS4 owners feel that within 3 years, their system is being out performed by an updated version of the same console? I personally don't think it is a big deal, but I know many that do.

thuway

Blu Ray wasn't even ready when the 360 launched; over 6 months later the first BR players were sold to consumers for $1,000.

Not quite the same scenario.

And than what? Years went on and the Xbox 360 continued to exist without a Bluray player and people bought it for the reason it was created: Gaming. Bluray was also far more popular in the broader conversation because Netflix / Streaming services at the time hadn't hit their inflection point.

4K UHD Bluray players have impressions and user reviews on various forums across the internet. It's reception has been lukewarm and not as pivotal as you might think.

Top Bottom