• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PS+ games have disappointed me for almost 2 years

Means a game created by a small studio (<100 employees) and self-published.
So using an example...

Which game is indie?

Grow Home (published by Ubisoft)
Valiant Hearts (published by Ubisoft)
Journey (published by Sony)
Angry Birds (published by Rovio)
Unfinished Swan (published by Sony)

So in this list Angry Birds is the Indie game.
B-tier would be the others.
A-tier would be eShop games like Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
AA-tier would be the budget titles like Captain Toad.
AAA-tier is the $60 games.

I know, I was hoping he would answer it to help him understand what indie actually means.

Words mean what ever people evolve them into. Are you somebody that corrects someone when they literally use "literally" wrong? Sorry you are that person but everyone hates you.
I guess you're not. You should start a petition to evolve words to mean what you want. Start with the word diarreah. It should now mean "cleanliness"!

Words mean what ever people evolve them into. Are you somebody that corrects someone when they literally use "literally" wrong? Sorry you are that person but everyone hates you.

Wow. Words do evolve but you can't just turn them into literally whatever you want. But there's obviously no helping you so I'm out.

AmFreak

The difference is that now they don't need those sorts of offerings in order to get people to pay the subscription, so it makes a lot less sense to go after them, rather than cheaper alternatives.

Bingo!
Before, the wide majority subscribed for games, now the wide majority subscribe because they have to (to play online).

I guess you're not. You should start a petition to evolve words to mean what you want. Start with the word diarreah. It should now mean "cleanliness"!

I don't care what the word means. Simply pointing out that the word has evolved to a different meaning just like words in our language evolve all the time.

Bishop89

I think im just not a fan of these 2d-2.5d games.

I rather have AA'esque games like Warframe and outlast. 3D worlds.

Grow Home is not an example of this. Thats like an 'A' game, if that.

Bingo!
Before, the wide majority subscribed for games, now the wide majority subscribe because they have to (to play online).
Or, you know, less than two years worth of game releaaes exist for the PS4 and its still selling well around the world, meaning people are buying games from the past two years for it, so it doesn't make sense to suddenly give away larger games that people still buy or poorly reviewed / mediocre titles over new or well reviewed ones.

I don't care what the word means. Simply pointing out that the word has evolved to a different meaning just like words in our language evolve all the time.
You still tried to claim a multitude of games that are of varying genres are all one genre, because you're unwilling to comprehend what an independent release is. Not to mention that many games being mentioned are actually not indie. Hell, someone could call Life is Strange is indie, except it's published by Square... Maybe try educating yourself instead of sticking to something just because you started with that opinion.

Anyway, I'm out as well. Maybe I can get a few more hours of sleep, heh.

ps3ud0

Never expected such uninformed views regards 'indie' games on NeoGAF of all places. Really are people out there that can't be even bothered to google

ps3ud0 8)

Or, you know, less than two years worth of game releaaes exist for the PS4 and its still selling well around the world, meaning people are buying games from the past two years for it, so it doesn't make sense to suddenly give away larger games that people still buy or poorly reviewed / mediocre titles over new or well reviewed ones.

Occam's razor.

kewlmyc

Could be better, yeah, but at least having PS+ means I didn't have to buy Ground Zeroes so I appreciate it.

That or I could have just bought it on PC. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Xater

Then cancel. It's ok to have bad taste. I continue to be happy with PS+. I am probably more happy with it now than when they released old retail games I have already played anyway.

Just because the rally cry for this issue has been "*scoff* indies!", which I agree is stupid, doesn't mean there isn't an issue. The free games are definitely focused towards a specific segment of gamers. A buddy of mine would love the odd sports game, which I don't believe we have received yet (and no, while Rocket League is fantastic it does not count). I'm trying to think what we've received for shooters, and all I'm coming up with is Tower of Guns (which in my opinion was garbage, maybe not the popular opinion).

Not only that, but a fair number of the games we're getting is nothing but shovel-ware. We get some great titles like Rogue Legacy and Rocket League, but we're also getting a fair number of titles which may be buggy or not really worth much more than a quick look in.

It's ok to have bad taste.

People can't enjoy different things than you? Gamers are made up of many different people with different tastes. For example, not all gamers are assholes like you.

dralla

I can't say I agree, I think PS Plus has been great so far. I can understand why people would be disappointed though if they play a lot games on PC. My three favorite PS Plus games are Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and Rocket Leauge. I do wish we'd get some better discount deals.

Elandyll

Banned
It depends on the month, but not being hang up on "AAA" helps to appreciate the offering imo.

Velocity 2X, Resogun, Outlast, Trine 2, Strider, Infamous First Light, Transistor and many others made it worth it to me, alongside the (sometime quite nice) discounts.

While i see your point i don't think its been that grim when it comes to games released on ps4. To name a few these games has been great additions.

• Resogun
  • Outlast
  • Strider
  • Fez
  • Injustice
  • Rocket league
  • Infamous first light
Having full retail games is tricky given that PS4's catalog is still pretty small, so i understand why we don't see them all that often. It does suck that MP is locked into plus now but even so, I can get behind supporting the network to make it better. My bigger problem is the PlayStation network needs to improve. Everyone is putting money into it so we should see a better functioning network.

Then cancel. It's ok to have bad taste. I continue to be happy with PS+. I am probably more happy with it now than when they released old retail games I have already played anyway.
Yeah, I think I rather have recent small budget games than 4 year old AAA games personally.
People who think they are going to put any AAA game less than 2 years old on PS+ make me laugh.

Fonds

The "then cancel it" argument is getting really old really fast.
You need PS+ for online play, so that one is out the window.

Secondly, for those saying people that want AAA games (it's not even about wanting AAA games, but okay for the sake of argument) just have bad taste; it's not as if pretending to like games that are being churned out by "black rimmed glasses/ beardy types" at a faster rate than even Ubisoft can keep up with makes you more of a "gamer".

This thread isn't about one genre being better than the other, it's about one side being too heavily represented on a service that used to offer more of a balance in the past.

it's not as if pretending to like games that are being churned out by "black rimmed beardy types" at a faster rate than even Ubisoft can keep up with makes you more of a "gamer".

So much wrong with this statement that I'm not really sure how to unpack it.

And 'One side' is not being more represented than the other. Indie and AAA are not competing 'sides'. The only people who seem to think that are the people who want AAA games, as if indie games aren't real games.

Muzy72

Banned
I think it is about time we had retail games more regularly, especially from the launch titles.

AC: Black Flag and Killzone,
and Knack
should be on there by now.
No thanks, none of those games interest me at all. Would much rather continue to get the excellent indie titles we've been getting.

See, now there is no need for this. This is what you get on the opposite end of the spectrum. Why does he/she have to like indie games?

nib95

Banned
The cinema equivalent for those who don't like indie games, is like only wanting to watch big blockbuster films that cost well over a hundred million to make, and disregarding everything else, irrespective of quality. There's no sense in it, and if anything it just means you need to broaden your taste.

I mean, here's a list of some of the higher rated PS4 PS+ releases so far, along with their metacritic averages. You likely have to have some extremely narrow taste in games to have not found at least a few of these enjoyable.

Flower - 91
Fez - 90
Limbo - 90
Spelunky - 88
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - 88
Guacamelee! STCE - 87
TowerFall: Ascension - 87
Velocity 2X - 86
OlliOlli2 - 86
Resogun: Heroes - 86
Rocket League - 85
Resogun: Defenders - 85
Rogue Legacy - 85
Resogun - 84
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty - 84
Trine 2: Complete Story - 84
Sound Shapes - 84
Transistor - 83
The Unfinished Swan - 83
The Swapper - 83
SteamWorld Dig - 82
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate - 82
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition - 80
Super Time Force Ultra - 80

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
It was pretty obvious this was going to happen once they made it compulsory to subscribe to PS+ for online play, unlike last gen where is the incentive to keep you subscribed?, they know most people will pay to play MP games so they don't have to push up the quality of the 'free' content as much as they did on the PS3.

I'm not sure whether it was actually planned but personally I think the decent content they offered for 'free' on the PS3 platform was a pretty clever way of softening the blow for compulsory online subs on the PS4.

....list.....

The problem with that list for me is that, not all, but most of the games I really like on it are games I played last gen.

Xater

Secondly, for those saying people that want AAA games (it's not even about wanting AAA games, but okay for the sake of argument) just have bad taste; it's not as if pretending to like games that are being churned out by "black rimmed glasses/ beardy types" at a faster rate than even Ubisoft can keep up with makes you more of a "gamer".

This thread isn't about one genre being better than the other, it's about one side being too heavily represented on a service that used to offer more of a balance in the past.

If you want retail games you inevitably want the big AAA titles. They are even the examples you mentioned in your opening post. There barely even is a middle ground now when it comes to retail games, unless you want some shovelware that is sold for way too much like Angry Birds on PS4. I also still continue to not see the appeal of 2+ year old retail titles. At that point you could hve bought whatever you wanted to play for dirt cheap anyway or you most likely have played it already.

See, now there is no need for this. This is what you get on the opposite end of the spectrum. Why does he/she have to like indie games?

If you dislike Indie game sin general you are a weird person. It's almost like saying you dislike food despite only not enjoying mushrooms.

Bluenoser

People saying the games with gold selection on XB1 is superior to the PS+ selection must have horrible memories, or incredibly shallow taste in games.

Not only is the list of games less than half the size, but the only standout retail game was AC: Black Flag (until this month when they got TR: DE)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

I mean, if all it takes to sway you is one AAA release, that's pretty sad. I'll take Transistor, Rocket League, Resogun, Injustice, Binding of Isaac, Infamous, Rogue Legacy, and Don't Starve. Rocket League alone is literally worth a yearly sub.

Scrawnton

Dust was a very nice free game, as was Don't Starve, outside of that Sony hasn't given me anything super great that I wanted. I'm shocked we are going into the third holiday and pieces of full games weren't given away for free. Why not give out killzone single player free? Knack?

If you don't think online play alone is worth the costs per year don't buy a PS4. You're going to pay ~$300 over the lifetime of the console for something you don't view as worth the asking price?

Comet

I would prefer more retail games that's for sure. While these indie games are great, if you wait a handful of months you can grab them up dirt cheap so it feels like that value for PS+ has lessened significantly since the PS3 glory days.

I'd consider dropping the service but as Vita owner I dig the PS+ library.

weekev

Banned
People saying the games with gold selection on XB1 is superior to the PS+ selection must have horrible memories, or incredibly shallow taste in games.

Not only is the list of games less than half the size, but the only standout retail game was AC: Black Flag (until this month when they got TR: DE)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

I mean, if all it takes to sway you is one AAA release, that's pretty sad. I'll take Transistor, Rocket League, Resogun, Injustice, Binding of Isaac, Infamous, Rogue Legacy, and Don't Starve. Rocket League alone is literally worth a yearly sub.
Great post. Im enjoying the hell out of the games Ive got with ps+ its like a 3 or 4 game bonus every month, and so far the only ones ive not really enjoyed (only had it 3 months) are Styx and Lara Croft.

Draft

PS4 owners need PS+ to play online. Sony doesn't need to incentivize subscriptions like they did on PS3. So one of your free games every month is some piece of shit that started life on the app store, then got ported to Vita and uprezzed to 1080p. That's the new normal.

I'm back! Quick question, would you consider Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous to be indie games? How about No Man's Sky?

Alienous

It was inevitable when multiplayer became part of it.

You'll get indie games that value the exposure and potentially three year old games when the sequel needs a boost. They don't need to go out of their way to making subscribing appealing outside of the multiplayer.

Faenix1

Amazes me people expect premium PS4 games for free right out of the gate on a regular basis.

PS3 had a lot of years worth of games before PS+ was a thing

bosseye

I've had enough out of my PS+ subscription on PS4 over the last couple of years to make it worth it, online play requirement aside. I don't tend to keep that many, maybe one game every 3 months perhaps, but those that I have kept I've greatly enjoyed.

I'll try everything available for that month, but if its not grabbed me after half hour or so, it gets deleted. I don't have the HDD space to hold onto random games 'just in case' I want to try it in the future.

Bolivar687

Banned
I prefer the smaller downloadable games, they complement the retail titles I buy. With my backlog, I probably wouldn't have the time to invest in playing AAA games I wasn't already interested in buying anyway.

I do feel like the quality this year was not as good as last years though, I hardly recognize any of the games. The only standouts to me were Rocket League and OlliOlli2.

Game are hit or miss, but far more former than latter.

Honestly, I don't have time to play through all the games they threw at me back on PS3, but I play them when I can (and when I get a new PS3, sadface).

You don't HAVE to like Indie games. It's the idea the you don't like all of them because they have a smaller budget, dev team or other thing that's the problem. Indie games and AAA games can both be great. But people want to put them against each other like they're different, but they aren't.

As evidenced by the age most PS3/Vita retail games have been upon hitting the IGC, publishers are reluctant to give away games they used to sell for $60 for free unless they're >2 years old, and obviously the PS4 doesn't have any of those.

I'd be surprised if we didn't see some of the PS4's launch window titles within the next 3-6 months, though. Putting a "big" game on the IGC in December to convince people who buy it for Christmas to grab PS+ along with it would make sense.

Top Bottom