• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to a displayport monitor?

b0bbyJ03

Has anyone here successfully connected a PS4 to a displayport monitor? I've got an ROG PG278Q connect to my PC and recently picked up a Pro. I don't mind playing on my TV for most games but I get too much lag on shooters so I'd like to make use of the low input lag on my monitor. Is it even possible to get a picture out of my ROG?

Isn't that only the otherway round? So dpp to hdmi should be active, but hdmi to dpp doesn't have to?

I have no idea for DPP->HDMI, but I wanted to do the same thing as OP with my PS3 and the only option was to get an active adapter. Keep in mind that if you did get an active adapter, it may introduce some input lag itself (or not, no idea how the HDMI->DPP conversion works), defeating the whole point.

I ended up get getting a cheap HDMI -> DVI cable instead, so you may want to go that route if your monitor has an input for it.

antibolo

Banned
I'm also looking into this, as my Dell UP2414Q has a HDMI port, but can only do its full 4K@60Hz resolution over DisplayPort.

I've seen some active adapters online but all of them seemed to be limited to 1080p only.

b0bbyJ03

I have no idea for DPP->HDMI, but I wanted to do the same thing as OP with my PS3 and the only option was to get an active adapter. Keep in mind that if you did get an active adapter, it may introduce some input lag itself (or not, no idea how the HDMI->DPP conversion works), defeating the whole point.

I ended up get getting a cheap HDMI -> DVI cable instead, so you may want to go that route if your monitor has an input for it.

unfortunately it's a Gsync monitor with only 1 display port :(

I'm also looking into this, as my Dell UP2414Q has a HDMI port, but can only do its full 4K@60Hz resolution over DisplayPort.

I've seen some active adapters online but all of them seemed to be limited to 1080p only.

I've seen a few 4K adapters, but you have to be careful because several (all?) of them only do 4K@30Hz.

Avalt

Try a cheap adapter first. You never know, it just might work... We never have trouble with these guys at work. Thou it's usually from a laptop display port to HDMI monitor.

NN8U7IA.jpg

Other option is HDMI to dvi cable.

Try a cheap adapter first. You never know, it just might work...

Don't do this, it won't work:

Thou it's usually from a laptop display port to HDMI monitor.

These cables only work in one direction (DPP->HDMI), not the other way around. You only have to visit the review sections on Amazon and Newegg to see lots of people finding this out the hard way.

b0bbyJ03

Don't do this, it won't work:

These cables only work in one direction (DPP->HDMI), not the other way around. You only have to visit the review sections on Amazon and Newegg to see lots of people finding this out the hard way.

Yes, just want to make it clear to all the people even considering this, you need an active adapter, not a passive one. you can convert displayport to HDMI with no problem, but to do it the other way around you need an active adapter, meaning it actually has to process the signal and change it (they're even powered) so for those that want to try this, don't just go ordering any adapter. I did my research before i created this thread, what I'm not sure about is what will happen if I connect to a 1440p monitor, like mine (should have included that in the OP).

riflen

Out of intrest what monitor do you have OP?

active converters are the only way to go.

Says right there. Asus ROG Swift PG278Q. It's really an insanely daft idea to try and connect a PlayStation to a 2560x1440 144 Hz G-Sync monitor imo.

Wozzer

There's a handful of related threads on GAF, but I've yet to see a concrete tried and tested working solution to leverage. I too have a DisplayPort only monitor, an Acer XB270HU specifically.

After some similar investigation I knew I needed an adapter that was active and promised HDMI to DisplayPort (and not the other way around or worse purposefully not being clear), and found a relatively cheap one to try...

.. it initially looked to work, and looked stunning on the screen as hoped...

.. but then it flickered :(. Every 30seconds to a minute or so it will flicker black, only for a brief half second but it's constant and obliterates the usability.

I'd love to have a proven tried and tested solution, ideally not overly expensive, so I can finally leverage the monitor for both PC and console gaming. Please update this thread if you find a way :D

antibolo

Banned
Says right there. Asus ROG Swift PG278Q. It's really an insanely daft idea to try and connect a PlayStation to a 2560x1440 144 Hz G-Sync monitor imo.

Why? Just because he won't be able to make 100% use of its features doesn't mean it's a pointless thing to do.

Kudo

Why? Just because he won't be able to make 100% use of its features doesn't mean it's a pointless thing to do.

Yeah, it ought to have less input lag than his TV so probably a good idea for competitive games.
But nevertheless won't be cheap as buying a cable to get it running on that monitor, and I'm not sure if cheap active adapters add to input lag (can they even?) but wouldn't trust them without further googling, and if they do kinda beats the whole purpose to connect it to monitor unless he just wants to play it on his desk which is what I also prefer.

b0bbyJ03

so its daft to want to get as much use out of an expensive monitor that I already own that will give me much lower input lag? please explain.

You used the word pointless, not me. I said it was daft. Just for fun, let's see what features can be used.

- Variable Refresh. Nope.
- Low persistence strobing. Nope.
- 144/120/100/85 Hz refresh. Nope.

This display has no scalar hardware and is designed to only ever be connected to a PC GPU. Depending on the capabilities of whatever active adapter you try, you may not even be able to send a native QHD signal to it.
Seems like a waste of time. Especially if the stated purpose is to reduce input/signal processing lag, you'll be stuck with a 60 Hz signal at best.

not sure if you realize that people purchase low input lag monitors JUST for the simple reason that they're low lag. That's like telling people that they shouldn't watch 1080p SDR content on a 4K HDR TV. Just because the features are there doesn't mean that is the only way the product should be used.

riflen

You used the word pointless, not me. I said it was daft. Just for fun, let's see what features can be used.

- Variable Refresh. Nope.
- Low persistence strobing. Nope.
- 144/120/100/85 Hz refresh. Nope.

This display has no scalar hardware and is designed to only ever be connected to a PC GPU. Depending on the capabilities of whatever active adapter you try, you may not even be able to send a native QHD signal to it.
Seems like a waste of time. Especially if the stated purpose is to reduce input/signal processing lag, you'll be stuck with a 60 Hz signal at best.

If my 4k Monitor has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports and I hook up my PS4 Pro via an HDMI 2.0 cable, will that output at 4k @ 60hz? It should right, as long as it's HDMI 2.0? I mean I've been running my Pro this way and it's definitely running at 4k in the Display settings, just unsure of the refresh rate - i'd imagine I'd notice 30hz vs 60hz.

EDIT - Looking at the manufacturer's website it says the below:

Resolution
PC(HDMI) 3840x2160@60Hz
PC(DP) 3840x2160@60Hz
Video(HDMI) 3840x2160@60Hz (Ver 2.0)

So looks like I'm ok :)

Miasma

so its daft to want to get as much use out of an expensive monitor that I already own that will give me much lower input lag? please explain.

not sure if you realize that people purchase low input lag monitors JUST for the simple reason that they're low lag. That's like telling people that they shouldn't watch 1080p SDR content on a 4K HDR TV. Just because the features are there doesn't mean that is the only way the product should be used.

OP I have the same monitor, you can do it through an active converter but it will only output the image at 1080p and will not recognise 1440p even if for example a game like titanfall 2 is being rendered at that resolution, as you are probably aware 1080p looks nasty on a 1440p monitor.

http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO3isPIaBLM&t=101s different monitor but it explains a bit.

bomblord1

Banned
Not without

1. A monitor that can support HDCP through display port
2. An active Adapter to convert the signal
3. Disabling HDCP

b0bbyJ03

OP I have the same monitor, you can do it through an active converter but it will only output the image at 1080p and will not recognise 1440p even if for example a game like titanfall 2 is being rendered at that resolution, as you are probably aware 1080p looks nasty on a 1440p monitor.

http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO3isPIaBLM&t=101s different monitor but it explains a bit.

Thanks for this. Seems like you can, but its just not worth the hassle. lol. If I buy another display (bought this monitor and an OLED in the last 6 months) just for lower input lag on my console my wife may divorce me. i may have to deal with it.

Works fine for me, I just need to use the joypad aux port to deliver sound.
It's great actually, no input lag issues and a great image. And I can play PS4 using picture in picture, when 'working' on my computer.

Miasma

Thanks for this. Seems like you can, but its just not worth the hassle. lol. If I buy another display (bought this monitor and an OLED in the last 6 months) just for lower input lag on my console my wife may divorce me. i may have to deal with it.

No problem man. Nice the B6? I'm planning on buying that once I have moved into my new place.

Tijmen

As I still can't make threads myself, my best chances are to ask my question right here. It's also about my new PS4 and gaming monitor!

When I bought both, I was tinkering with the monitor's display settings and came across 'Input Color Format': it was set to RGB but I decided to try out YPbPr. This gave my screen a heavy green tint. Could this have damaged my monitor in any way possible?

Thanks in advance for helping, it'd greatly soothe my OCD mind.

antibolo

Banned
As I still can't make threads myself, my best chances are to ask my question right here. It's also about my new PS4 and gaming monitor!

When I bought both, I was tinkering with the monitor's display settings and came across 'Input Color Format': it was set to RGB but I decided to try out YPbPr. This gave my screen a heavy green tint. Could this have damaged my monitor in any way possible?

Thanks in advance for helping, it'd greatly soothe my OCD mind.

Nope. It was only displaying the wrong colours, which is harmless.

Tijmen

Nope. It was only displaying the wrong colours, which is harmless.

Wish I could give you a hug! Next up: when looking at the PS4 menu, I notice a lot of 'grain' in the solid blue parts. My eyes don't receive it as a static image/color. The same goes for a blank page in a text editor. It's not solid white, but has a dynamic grey/white tint to it that moves all over the place. In-game I don't notice a thing, but still, it's really annoying me.

Top Bottom