• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to lead all consoles with 51 million sold by 2016 - IDC

Return of the king.
iHzXFvuXxVT2z.gif

Sweeeet gif. Glad to see PS4 is doing well so far.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I can't imagine it—or any next-gen console—achieving that kind of success that quickly in an era of increased competition from microconsoles and mobile without a serious price drop. Didn't IDC previously say a bunch of silly shit before too?

luckydan79

Neo Member
I know this is wrong and I shouldn't really quote it but ******** at them moment "State" 7.4 million units sold with 127 thousand across the world for this month.

So if 127000 is the standard for 1 year 127*12 = 15.24 million*2 = 30.48 if it keeps up this standard which is very unlikely adding in the rest of this year

= 10.16 million so 47 million at the end of 2016 if the sales trends continue which is rather unlikely. Phones are needed, Computers are, etc.

So you can guess where this so called site gets is source from www.********.com which is stated is unreliable and complete bullshit it has to sell 127 thousand every month for an add-on for the TV which is completely unnecessary.

I know this is wrong and I shouldn't really quote it but ******** at them moment "State" 7.4 million units sold with 127 thousand across the world for this month.

So if 127000 is the standard for 1 year 127*12 = 15.24 million*2 = 30.48 if it keeps up this standard which is very unlikely adding in the rest of this year

= 10.16 million so 47 million at the end of 2016 if the sales trends continue which is rather unlikely. Phones are needed, Computers are, etc.

So you can guess where this so called site gets is source from www.********.com which is stated is unreliable and complete bullshit it has to sell 127 thousand every month for an add-on for the TV which is completely unnecessary.

Dont ever use the site that makes up numbers on the fly, to try and make a point.

quetz67

Banned
Think he is referring to the messiah Phil Spencer. Which is pretty funny, he should be on the Xbox One chalkboard.

OK, so that is about the talk how everything is geared toward the (hardcore) gamer now, but which resulted in no actions and won't before E3.

zhao3gold

Banned
Here is my estimation by the end of 2016:

PS4: 60millions;
Xbox One: 32millions;
Wii U: 20millions;
3DS: 70millions;
PSVita: 35millions.

Can I have the same payment as the researcher in IDC?

Don't ask my methodology, because it is just a pure estimation.

FDC1

Outside of the fact the forbidden site is unreliable, your maths are wrong.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If they continue to produce a million a month they will have 24 million units produced in 2014 and 2016. They'll have another 12 million produced this year. So, 36 million. With the units sold in 2013 that nets them about 40 million. The only way I see 50 million to happen is if they do a price cut next year and ramp up production. But then they'll be just as likely to achieve 60 million as they are 50 million.

RiggyRob

Not saying it won't happen, but never forget:

ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

Predictions at the start of a generation generally end up inaccurate. The PS4 is off to a brilliant start, but this industry has proven more than once to be unpredictable.

I've seen that graph before, but it still amazes me how the Wii prediction numbers were the most accurate relative to the others.

OT: 51 million is a good target, I'd definitely say the PS4 is capable of reaching that number.

Skeff

I really don't understand why they predict xb1 to take over in the us once kinect is unbundled, they seemingly don't expect ps4 sales to slow at all judging by the 51 million, they also expect the kinect to be unbundled in 2015 and looking at current sales the gap between ps4 and xb1 will surely be wider by then if kinect stays bundled, which would give us a 2015 situation of ps4 and xb1 price parity but xb1 would be less powerful and have a smaller install base meaning people moving to next gen would likely have more friends on ps4 than xb1.

Some of their predictions kind of go against each other.

I really don't understand why they predict xb1 to take over in the us once kinect is unbundled, they seemingly don't expect ps4 sales to slow at all judging by the 51 million, they also expect the kinect to be unbundled in 2015 and looking at current sales the gap between ps4 and xb1 will surely be wider by then if kinect stays bundled, which would give us a 2015 situation of ps4 and xb1 price parity but xb1 would be less powerful and have a smaller install base meaning people moving to next gen would likely have more friends on ps4 than xb1.

Some of their predictions kind of go against each other.
Aren't U.S. sales rather close for PS4/Xbone currently? The major gap in sales is attributed to all the other countries. If Xbone is keeping pace in the U.S. with a price and power disadvantage, then I guess the logic is that with price parity, brand preference will help Xbone surpass PS4.

Skeff

Aren't U.S. sales rather close for PS4/Xbone currently? The major gap in sales is attributed to all the other countries. If Xbone is keeping pace in the U.S. with a price and power disadvantage, then I guess the logic is that with price parity, brand preference will help Xbone surpass PS4.

I think ps4 is leading about 3 mil to 2.5m or something, but the xb1 has just had a strong period with titanfall and price drops, sales will drop as April to September seem to be stronger sony months so it's expected the gap will widen. The xb1 was only $50 more than ps4 during march but had kinect and titanfall included at that price in most stores. I think 50$ for kinect and titanfall is a pretty good value proposition.

I think ps4 is leading about 3 mil to 2.5m or something, but the xb1 has just had a strong period with titanfall and price drops, sales will drop as April to September seem to be stronger sony months so it's expected the gap will widen. The xb1 was only $50 more than ps4 during march but had kinect and titanfall included at that price in most stores. I think 50$ for kinect and titanfall is a pretty good value proposition.
It's pretty well understood that value in the form of bundled content is not as effective as a lower total price. I don't think it's clear how the market will react when/if Xbone reaches price parity with PS4 or even undercuts it. At least in the U.S.. PlayStation has the obviously stronger brand WW.

I'm not sure how much it affected it but Xbone was more readily available, especially in the first few months compared to the PS4 as well. Just another reason why the gap may not have been larger.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't underestimate consumer ignorance/apathy, and I can see people who just prefer those listed games over what Playstation has not being performance conscious enough to care that it's the notably weaker system, or possibly even blowing off the value of Plus over Gold.

Oh, of course. That's why the "unless" even exists - there are always going to be some customers that fit that category, so the only question is if that customer base is large enough to make it viable as a business.

The question will continue to be ever-present until we see precisely where these systems settle out in the following months (April, May, June). These are going to be extremely telling months that establish a sort of floor for off-holiday months, and it will begin to show us the true level of excitement for these consoles. In this time, Microsoft still does not seem to have an adequate answer to why Kinect continues to be an albatross around their neck without any quality software for it, so I think it'll be the time they make some hard decisions about what to do with their systems going forward (with or w/out Kinect). And Sony only really has a few multiplatform games with marketing agreements in there, so we will likely see something like a floor for PS4 numbers as well. So they will be pivotal months.

Still, it's why I can't imagine the XB1 actually overtaking the PS4. PS3 became much more aggressive and actually price matched well enough as I recall, yet it still lagged outside of a GTAV bundle. Everything you said give the PS4 the edge when you figure ignorant consumers are likely roughly half and half at best, and I do believe once momentum gets going the leading console can keep the lead by inertia alone. Sony has to REALLY screw up (or Microsoft pulling off something unbelievable) to change things now, just removing Kinect and going for price parity shouldn't lead to the XB1 getting ahead, and like said I'd find it kind of irritating if that's all it took, not system selling exclusives or anything.

Yeah, it's not impossible. I mean, as of yet... at least in North America... no matter how we shake it or read the tea leaves, they are still "only" separated by a few hundred thousand. Any big news story in one direction or the other can fill in a few hundred thousand given enough time. The big question that stays in my head is simply: now that Titanfall is out for XBO, does Microsoft have anything that can stop a fairly significant downslide? Does the numbers in settle at become a worrying 141k like in January, or something more reasonable like 225k or something like that?

Top Bottom