• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to lead all consoles with 51 million sold by 2016 - IDC

flkraven

51 million? Can Sony actually manufacture that many by 2016? I'm not sure.

This. 51 million in 2 years sounds fucking insane. Currently Sony is average roughly 1 million sold per month, no? Wouldn't that be close to 25-30 million sold by 2016? 25 million would be good, 30 million would be great, 51 million seems impossible.

Eusis

So basically 51 million in 3 years is behind both the Wii and PS2 and people are still saying it would be impossible.
Yeah, I realized after looking at that it really wouldn't be a big deal to SELL that many if it can be the most successful console this generation, never mind that merely producing that many is perfectly feasible. Especially in the era of Foxconn.

EDIT: Though I guess the catch is by the end of 2016 rather than the start. I don't see it pulling that off by year start.

FDC1

51M is a tall order. I think the brightest projection for LTD by end of this year is 15M. They'd need to increase the average sale rate since launch to hit 51M by end of 2016.

It will easily be over 15M by the end of the year if they can produce enough for the Holiday period. 15M is a pessimist number.

This. 51 million in 2 years sounds fucking insane. Currently Sony is average roughly 1 million sold per month, no? Wouldn't that be close to 25-30 million sold by 2016? 25 million would be good, 30 million would be great, 51 million seems impossible.

I think they mean 51M at the end of 2016, not at the beginning

Going forward, from now until the holiday period 2014, I can only see things getting worse for the bone.

TLOU: Remastered coming in June/July, $500 million Destiny, heavily associated and with exclusive content for the PS4 coming September. Then DriveClub before the biggest exclusive title to cap off the year: The Order.

Now, the fact that the PS4's mid to late 2014 launch line-up is so comparatively strong is in large part due to a limited launch line-up of AAAA titles (not indies) available at launch. DriveClub going from a launch title to October 2014 hurt the launch line-up but obviously that release is now adding huge weight to the library of titles at the end of the year.

The worry for MS is that they had a lot of big exclusives at launch, and they have played the TitanFall card in March, but the PS4 still handedly outsold it in the same markets that both are available in. Things are going to get more uncomfortable for them looking at the line-ups going forward.

The only solution is a significant price cut. In the UK, they need to go lower than £350.

Will easily reach 51m sometime in 2016. In 3 years, it will both have had a 100 dollar/euro pricecut as wel as a slim model on the market.

I can't see 51 million being sold by 2015.

Bear in mind though that it is selling roughly 1 million a month during slow sales months.

Holiday sales (November/December) would be what, almost triple that figure per month?

jayu26

PS4 had sold 5 million by the end of 2013. 51 - 5 = 46.

So to hit 51 million mark by the end of 2016, PS4 would need to sell ~1.2-1.3 (46/36) million a month.

PS4 is averaging 1 million a month right now. Either the Japanese sells will have to pick up considerably, or China (if and once PS4 releases there) is going to have to make up those sells.

Will easily reach 51m sometime in 2016. In 3 years, it will both have had a 100 dollar/euro pricecut as wel as a slim model on the market.

For all we know it might be at $250 by the 2016 holiday season. I think we will get a $100 price cut some time next year with a revision in 2016 and it might be $50 cheaper.

mo60

PS4 had sold 5 million by the end of 2013. 51 - 5 = 46.

So to hit 51 million mark by the end of 2016, PS4 would need to sell ~1.2-1.3 (46/36) million a month.

PS4 is averaging 1 million a month right now. Either the Japanese sells will have to pick up considerably, or China (if and once PS4 releases there) is going to have to make up those sells.

It will be a lot more possible by the end of 2016 because of the holiday months.The only problem will be the amount it sells in Japan by the end of 2016 and some of the smaller countries. It`s very possible that the PS4`s ltd will be under 5 million and maybe even 4 in Japan by the end of 2016.NA.

I can't see 51 million being sold by 2015.

Bear in mind though that it is selling roughly 1 million a month during slow sales months.

Holiday sales (November/December) would be what, almost triple that figure per month?

Also keep in mind that the rate has been slowing down since january. I can't imagine the PS4 doing a million a month from now until the Fall.

DieH@rd

Banned
51mil by the end of 2016 is achievable if pricedrops are regular. That's 4.2mil in 2013 and average of 15.6mil in the following three years.

First three years are always rising in their sales, oldgen will get abandoned few big games will attract a lot of sales. After ~3 COD games, 3 AC games, 2 BF games, and possibly one game from Rockstar [RDR sequel], FF15, KH3, and tons of Sports games, a lot of casual gamers will join the ranks of regular gamers. By end of 2016, PS4 should cost $299-349, which is the price that sold ~60-70% of PS3 consoles.

Melchiah

Looking at the bigger picture, the retail component of the video game business is expected to see continued declines, IDC said. IDC's forecast states that, together, eighth generation consoles will generate about 10 percent less retail revenue from console hardware and disc-based games than seventh generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii) consoles did combined through their first six years on the market.

Well, isn't that expected as digital sales have constantly been on the rise, and wouldn't that mean there really isn't decline in the overall game sales? Kinda odd in this day and age to separate them altogether, and leave the digital sales out of the equation.

Little conservative methinks. By the end of 2014 they should be around 20 million units. Likely around 8 million units by now, they've been averaging around 1 million units sold a month WW so far they've still got five months left of the calender year nonholiday months. That'd knock them up to 13 million units before the holiday.

If they increase unit production for those two months they could sell anywhere around 5 million WW in those two months. Which would put them at 18 million units before the fiscal year has ended. You get to the end of their fiscal year without significant monthly WW drops and they'd be well over half way there. By the end of 2016 they could be nearing the 60 million unit mark.

IF there isn't a significant slowdown.

Melchiah

That and the fact that potential buyers have no exclusives to look forward to until Fall.

Looking at the EA fiscal report, I don't think it's the exclusives that sell the systems.

Calendar year-to-date, EA continues to be the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the Western World led by FIFA 14, Titanfall™, Battlefield 4™, Need For Speed™ Rivals and Madden NFL 25.
In the fiscal fourth quarter, EA titles represented 40% of Western World combined title sales for the PlayStation®4 and Xbox One.

Architect

Neo Member
By end of 2016, that's likely what IDC is calculating, otherwise the numbers are ridiculous.

Anyone have the original IDC PR link for this report? As currently titled, this thread will mostly draw ridicule.

As for pulling off 51 million sales by Dec 31st, 2016, the PS4 has a good shot of achieving it.

Eusis

Looking at the EA fiscal report, I don't think it's the exclusives that sell the systems.
EA had a lineup of either well made cross gen games (NFS:Rivals, BF4 ALMOST counts) or annual sports titles that managed to make it at launch (Madden, Fifa.) Next to no one is buying these systems for Killzone or Ryse, more likely the exclusives they have their eyes on are games like Uncharted 4, Project Beast, Halo, and Quantum Break.

Granted even when the exclusives come out and are flowing they only seem to be a sure thing to push systems on Nintendo platforms, but certainly the ones out at launch aren't the most exciting, and even the better ones are arguably downgrades from before (Forza and Dead Rising.)

Vinc

Solid, if slightly safe predictions in my opinion. I do think it's obvious that Sony will lead the market, but I also think it's obvious that Microsoft will do drastic things to help retake the lead, at least in North America.

It will easily be over 15M by the end of the year if they can produce enough for the Holiday period. 15M is a pessimist number.

I have no doubt that they can make enough for the holiday. Supposedly they were 1.6M peak production around launch. That number would go up with their processes having been refined. They could stockpile before launch too. They could support 4M a month for November and December if they wanted to in my opinion. I just don't think we'll reach much past 15M if that.

ricelord

Return of the king.
iHzXFvuXxVT2z.gif

never gets old

Syrus

Banned
im not expertor analyst but...theres no fucking way PS4 will sell 51 mill in 3 years. MAYBE combine all next gen sales it can hit 51 mill but not one alone.
just a prediction but this stuff was dumb

Kru

PS4 could easily hit those numbers in the same time frame.

It doesn't have much in the way of competition, wii u is effectively out of the running
and Xbox one, while still selling somewhat respectably compared to the PS4 in the US,
it's still never going to provide a real threat to PS4's sales.

The wii did it, the ps2 did it, and the ps4 is currently outpacing both.

Cubed

This seems ridiculously high. No offense to Sony, because their new system is selling very, very well; but I don't think they can even produce 51,000,000 consoles in 3 years. Sony is probably sitting just south of 8 million sold right now and we are a full six months into this generation already (a sixth of the time that these guys think Sony can sell 51 million).

I just don't see it. Even if Sony keeps up the momentum that they have now they will not be able to hit 50 million by that time.

I hope I'm wrong... but I doubt it.

Melchiah

EA had a lineup of either well made cross gen games (NFS:Rivals, BF4 ALMOST counts) or annual sports titles that managed to make it at launch (Madden, NFL.) Next to no one is buying these systems for Killzone or Ryse, more likely the exclusives they have their eyes on are games like Uncharted 4, Project Beast, Halo, and Quantum Break.

Granted even when the exclusives come out and are flowing they only seem to be a sure thing to push systems on Nintendo platforms, but certainly the ones out at launch aren't the most exciting, and even the better ones are arguably downgrades from before (Forza and Dead Rising.)

I think the next entries to popular 3rd party franchises, that won't be available on the last gen systems anymore, will draw in many of those who weren't ready to bite for the launch window titles they could play on their PS3/360.

Unbundling the Kinect sensor helps but I think games are a bigger factor for Microsoft. They don't have the edge in power that would make the multiplatform titles alluring so they have to shine even brighter with lots of new IP's.

This seems ridiculously high. No offense to Sony, because their new system is selling very, very well; but I don't think they can even produce 51,000,000 consoles in 3 years. Sony is probably sitting just south of 8 million sold right now and we are a full six months into this generation already (a sixth of the time that these guys think Sony can sell 51 million).

I just don't see it. Even if Sony keeps up the momentum that they have now they will not be able to hit 50 million by that time.

I hope I'm wrong... but I doubt it.

More PS2s and Wiis were made in the same time frame.

Eltros

Banned
Not saying it won't happen, but never forget:

ProjectedConsoleChart_v1_460x323.gif

Predictions at the start of a generation generally end up inaccurate. The PS4 is off to a brilliant start, but this industry has proven more than once to be unpredictable.
I was going to post this also. It is clear they have no idea what they are talking about. That forecast and the one they did a couple years later were FAR off from what really happened.

Piggus

Exclusives aside, how the hell do people think unbundling Kinect (removing the one big exclusive feature Xbox One has) and matching the price will make it more attractive than a console that's more powerful, more compact, and has a better online service? Are they just betting that consumers are stupid and think CoD is an Xbox exclusive?

Undercutting Sony is the only way MS comes back. They also need to cut the "hur we'll just buy our exclusives" bullshit because that isn't feasible when your competitor has millions more systems sold. They need to build up first party studios the same way Sony did.

koutoru

So according to IDC, all Xbox has to do to take the lead in North America is unbundle Kinect?
I would've thought there's more to it than that by this point.

Eusis

I.dont think thats a likely number. We are already.to May and it has only sold 7 million.
If it kept that exact trajectory it'd be 7 times 6 half years, resulting in 42 million by the time the PS4 turns 3 in 2016. And when you consider holiday spikes especially with more system selling games it definitely sounds doable.

Top Bottom