• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I created dedicated pages for Phase II media coverage on both websites. Both websites will have the exact same list. The reason there are two websites to begin with is the open letters, and also to increase the likelihood of a response from Microsoft and/or Sony (it's doubtful they would respond to something that heavily features their competitor).

Check 'em out, what do you think?

www.ps4nodrm.com
www.xboxonenodrm.com

They're great

Kane1345

I contacted those guys, glad to see they did articles. I also contacted vg247 who has an article on it, I asked them to take my name off it but they didnt respond :p

Freki

I created dedicated pages for Phase II media coverage on both websites. Both websites will have the exact same list. The reason there are two websites to begin with is the open letters, and also to increase the likelihood of a response from Microsoft and/or Sony (it's doubtful they would respond to something that heavily features their competitor).

Check 'em out, what do you think?

www.ps4nodrm.com
www.xboxonenodrm.com

Where's the Phase I coverage? I can't find it.

Akihidas

I have some questions for the thread.

1. What do you expect out of Next Generation Gaming?
    Personally all I want out of Next Gen is pretty much exactly the same as every other generation but with prettier and perhaps some new mechanics that couldn't have been implemented before. I'm a big gamer and a lot of the social integration (although streaming my gameplay is something I would be interested in) and entertainment side of things don't bother me. But as long as the games are there then I will happily jump on.

2. What will be your standards for a good game?
    First: Is it fun, do I enjoy playing the game, is it a game I come back to again and again. Second: Artstyle, I do find that a good artstyle can make even fairly dull games mechanic-wise really exciting and fun. Plus I like looking at pretty things.

Everything else is kind of a bonus (great story, characters etc).

3. Do you expect more variation in games compared to this generation?
    I do hope there will be, I'm not the biggest fan of shooters (which seemed to be a lot of what a lot of this generation was about), but I love action games, RPGs and platformers. It'd be great to see more of those and perhaps some new genres I haven't seen before. So I don't really expect variation (although the fact that Sony has invested in Knack as a new IP gives me hope), but I do hope for it.

4. What do you think of the current state of the market for devs and pubs for their survival?
    Devs and pubs seem to be striving for the 'next CoD', something they can rely on to rake in heaps of cash. Or perhaps aiming for that 'blockbuster' game that a lot of popular titles seem to be going for, but by doing this they're pouring thousands (millions) into these projects which are ultimately doomed to missing sales targets as so much has been spent in development.

I'm actually hoping for a decrease in production costs, perhaps more of a focus on (not necessarily indie titles) smaller games which are more about the gameplay and having fun rather than telling a huge overarching story.

5. Are you willing to go to other options for gaming if Sony decides to go through with the DRM movement in order to gain support from 3rd Parties?
    I will be disappointed if Sony goes through with something like this and I would possibly just stick to current gen/ PC/ handheld for the time being. Then in a few years drop some cash on PS4 when its cheaper and there are more games available (traditionally though I am an early adopter).

6. Do you still plan to support the PS4 or One if they go in that direction? Which one and why?
    I kind of answered that above I believe.

7. How do you think publishers/platform holders/consumers can reach a compromise, while still offering the content desired while being able to survive and profit from it?
    Reduce production costs for games, perhaps the curse of Uncharted's success is that every game wants to replicate that blockbuster movie experience. Unfortunately they have to pour ridiculous amounts of money into a project on the hopes it will sell.

I don't believe that restricting the sales of used games or shoving on DRM will help them at all though. Used games are a big part of the industry, plenty of gamers rely on that trade in value to purchase new games.

Answers in bold

Gold Member
I have just finished my list. Already got an email back from one site (cinemablend) saying he has been chatting with our very own Famousmortimer and is going to run another story :)

Is there going to be a new thread for Phase 2 or are we going to stick with this one?
The plan is we stick with this thread as there is a lot of sites, tweets, etc pointing to it & it has had a lot of exposure already.

I started to think i've been terribly unlucky spreading the news to spanish media, but i have something for you :) They reference the article at VG24/7

http://www.meristation.com/playstat...a-mano-en-ps4-continua-esta-semana/61/1869957

You and me. :(
No answers from the sites/journalists I contacted. Only IBTimes wrote an article, but they were referring to Gamezone. You would think Kotaku is one of the first to cover this, bot no answer from them either. Also nothing from german websites.

Akihidas

You and me. :(
No answers from the sites/journalists I contacted. Only IBTimes wrote an article, but they were referring to Gamezone. You would think Kotaku is one of the first to cover this, bot no answer from them either. Also nothing from german websites.

I haven't heard anything either, they might be holding back though waiting to see how Wednesday plays out.

Someone give me my stripes!
illusive_man_by_rqldtipkx.png

Can my avatar be nodrm'd please?
disgaead14o2h.png

I'll do my part if I don't forget.
m1qwew7d1ool2.png

Carl

CVG and MCV got back to me and said they would be running an article at some point. Im guessing it'll be up tomorrow

Is there any site you didn't get in touch with lol?

Seems a bit pointless us all doing it if you've already done them xD

Hey, First Post on NeoGAF! Yay! :)

So yeah, since I'm a Junior, I can't exactly make a new thread, so I thought I'd Post it in here. I've been searching all over the internet (and lurking GAF), and I really cannot find anywhere where this has been suggested. Versions of it yes -- but none as simple as this. Besides, most of them have holes in them that would allow two people to play at once.

TLDR: game disks have two states that that can easily be switched between. To allow for both conveniences. Skip to the bolded "Proposition" to get the details.

Thanks for reading guys.

(Also, although this letter is addressed to Microsoft, I really, REALLY would like it if Sony did this as well.

---

Dear Microsoft,

Currently, it seems to me, the Xbox One presentation of the 21st was met with not a small amount of negativity and criticism. While I too was somewhat unimpressed, I recognize that the reveal was not necessarily targeted for me, a junior in high school who likes games, and, though I have always preferred PC gaming, was finally convinced to by an Xbox 360, mostly because of its simplicity as a console. Therefore, I await your E3 conference rather impatiently as the “15 exclusives” containing “8 new IPs” has got me very excited.

I have read a lot of the criticism of your conference on the internet and heard it in real life. The problem with most of it is that it rarely is what I would think would be constructive criticism, and when it is, it rarely makes sense to me. The following is a solution to the used games fiasco which I am absolutely stunned at not having seen suggested anywhere though I have been searching for hours over the internet:

Currently, by what seems to be the most concrete info we have, games may only be “activated” on one console at a time. If a friend wants to borrow a game and play it on his Xbox One with his account, the game must be deactivated from the original users account, and then when the original user wants it back, the process must be repeated. This is a confusing, convoluted, and most importantly, a time-consuming process. This is not innovation, as you at Microsoft seem to think (or at least enjoy telling us); innovation is new and exciting changes for the better for all parties involved, or at least for the consumer. This is not better for me, nor many of the people I know. If it were not for the current system of being able to share games simply and easily, I would not ever have tried some of my favorites like Viva Piñata, or non-exclusives such as SSX. Now, Viva Piñata is practically my favorite franchise of all time, and I plan on buying Viva Piñata 3 (pleaseohpleaseohplease!!!) on Xbox One new, and if it comes to PC as well (pleaseohpleaseohplease!!!), even if that happens later, I will then proceed to double dip. On topic, see, neither of those types of games would normally excite me, in fact I usually really dislike those genres, but now I love those two games, and I hate the thought of no Viva Piñata. This proposed system is anti-consumer. It restricts us; innovation should free us.

---

Proposition [this only concerns physical games. Digital games with selling solutions and stuff would be cool, but I’m focusing on the big issue right now]:

Every game disc has two states. State 1: tied to the disc, and State 2: tied to an account.

Example: Bob buys COD: Ghosts. When he sticks it in his disc drive, the Xbox One tells him that he can either keep the game tied to the disc or tied to his account and that he may reverse either decision by going into his account settings (or storage, or whatever you guys choose. The best place would probably be the current one where currently I can choose to install a game). Bob thinks that playing without the disc is pretty cool, so he ties it to his account. The Xbox installs the game, ejects the disc, and Bob puts it away. He then proceeds to play through the campaign.

Bob’s friend Jim comes over later while Bob is still playing and asks if he might try it. However, Bob does not want Jim earning achievements for him (who would?), so Bob gives Jim the disc. Jim then runs to his house and sticks the disc in his Xbox One. However, the disc does not install (or maybe it does, but the game is locked), and the system pops up a message that says that the game is tied to an account, and cannot be used. Jim then runs back to Bob’s house and asks him “Hey, Bob, it wont let me play.” “Yeah,” says Bob, “that’s because it’s tied my account. They don’t want two people playing at once.” “I see,” says Jim, and he waits till Bob is done playing. Bob then takes the disc, inserts it into the Xbox One, and changes the settings so that it is tied to the disc. Now, when Jim takes it to his house, Bob cannot play it because it is not tied to his account anymore (such a thing is made impossible. The system will only attach it to either the disc or an account at one time).

Before Jim takes it to his house, however, since Bob wants his disc back really soon (he still hasn’t finished the campaign, and he’s itching to get into some multiplayer), he tells Jim to not tie it to his account. Jim therefore, takes it to his house and sticks it in, and the system asks him the question of what he wants to tie it to. He chooses to have the game remain tied to the disc, plays, and then pulls the disc out. Now, if he wants to play the game, the system tells him (just as with the current generation), he must put the disc in. Note: the player must be connected to the internet to register the disc with his account.

[Of course, this system could make selling games a little complicated, so I will explain problem and the solution below]:

Later, Bob decides to buy Halo 5, but he doesn’t have the money quite yet. He kisses the game goodbye, and lists it on Amazon, where Sophie sees it. Sophie has already bought Halo 5, but would also like to by Ghosts, so she purchases the game from Bob’s Amazon account. He ships the game, she opens the package, and sticks it into the drive. However, Bob is either dishonest or just very forgetful, so he has not yet activated the game on the disc since the last time he activated it to his account. Therefore, Sophie cannot play it. That is the problem.

The solution to this (although of course there are other possible scenarios) would be that once a week, the player must both connect to the internet and insert the disc to re-verify. If Sophie is trying to play the game then, it will block her, but the next time Bob connects to the internet, the system will lock it from his account and unlock it on hers the next time she connects to the internet. The longest he can keep anyone else from playing it is only a week, and if he does, he has to forgo all internet features for that week because, as stated, as soon as he connects to the internet (even if it hasn’t been a week), it will lock it from him and unlock it for Sophie. Sophie my then proceed to either keep it locked on the disc or locked to her account.

Of course, none of this would have anything to do with the fact that the game must be installed. I am actually for that as I know it can help developers a good deal (besides, I always install my games anyway).

---

The above is innovative because it is new and benefits the consumer more than the previous system while not harming the seller.

Microsoft, it simply must be understood that to get people excited for your product’s new features, you must make it so that, instead of punishing the user for not using them, you reward them for using it. Under the proposed system, the consumer is punished for borrowing a game; under this proposed system, the consumer is rewarded for buying his own copy.

(Also, the whole “Permission” statement….yeah, don’t…don’t say that kind of thing. That’s kind of a huge turn off. I don’t want “permission” to play a game. And yes, I know what you mean; I read the statement thoroughly, and I don’t care so much, but it really makes you guys seem just a little bit hubristic and rude.)

I am fully aware that this letter is not likely to be read by anyone important, but if someone somewhere who has any sort of influence in a position of power, I think it will have done some good.

To reiterate, remember that I am indeed very excited for what those at Microsoft and the Xbox team have to show. I am excited for Blu-ray movies (finally) and the new games. I would like to be excited about the cloud but, as I just do not have the ability to connect to the internet on a habitual basis, it does not benefit me in the least, but the concept at least is exciting. I don’t care for Kinect (I don’t like talking if I don’t have to in any case, and electronics are no different, so I really hope there’s a way of “waking” it without talking – what about people with stutters, deaf, mute, or who game late at night when everyone is sleeping? What about when I just don’t really want to talk?), but I am definitely excited for what it might bring to gaming with a more advanced and accurate camera. I am excited that it might convince me. I am excited for Spielberg’s project. I am excited for the future of Xbox, though I may not be able to participate in all of it.

Just remember, Microsoft, sometimes a guy just wants to play a game. He doesn’t want to go through connect, he doesn’t want to install it, and he certainly doesn’t want to use the internet and jump through hoops to get it. He just wants to plug it into the wall, plug it into the TV or monitor (lots of people, including me, do use monitors), stick the disc in, and play. Kinect as well is a barrier. I gotta calibrate it, I gotta talk to it, I gotta make sure it’s connected (it’s just one more thing to have to pick up and move when I move my Xbox, and don’t tell me that it’s supposed to go in the living room. Well, my family doesn’t like games and Xbox and things, so it’s not going in there, and I would really like to…ya know…take my stuff where I want), and yet Kinect was supposed to remove barriers. It doesn’t, it creates more. Don’t get me wrong, I kinda like using Kinect for menus and stuff, but…it’s just not simple. You can’t get simpler than just pressing a button. Memorizing things to say is annoying and time consuming. Seriously, the Guide button and then “A” to get to the home is infinitely quicker than saying “Xbox, Go Home,” and with all the RAM that enables a games to be suspended while I browse my dashboard, this can now be reduced to one button press! I really hope that those at Microsoft understand that and will make sure that, just as previous generations and just as with Microsoft’s competitors, this is possible and simple as can be.

Thank you for reading,
An Loyal Xbox user

P.S. Please make Viva Pinata 3 for PC and Xbox One. :)

---

Edit: Sorry for such a long post (My first posts of all things) :p

You just described exactly what we're trying to avoid with this campaign. DRM, online checks, discs with RFID chips. I think you might be a bit confused as to our goals -- we want none of that bullshit.

Baller, am I like really bad at communicating or did you actually read my post? I said that you have the option to keep the game tied to the disk.

What I mean by that is if the game is tied to the disc, it must be in the drive to play. THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT IS NOW!!!! The online check is only for if you do NOT have the disc. In other words, with my system, you do not have to mess with internet or DRM or anything if you don't want to, just choose "keep game assigned to disk" and never have to deal with it again. Trade your game, sell it, blah blah blah, EXACTLY AS IN THE CURRENT SYSTEM.

Baller, am I like really bad at communicating or did you actually read my post? I said that you have the option to keep the game tied to the disk.

What I mean by that is if the game is tied to the disc, it must be in the drive to play. THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT IS NOW!!!! The online check is only for if you do NOT have the disc. In other words, with my system, you do not have to mess with internet or DRM or anything if you don't want to, just choose "keep game assigned to disk" and never have to deal with it again. Trade your game, sell it, blah blah blah, EXACTLY AS IN THE CURRENT SYSTEM.

Nokterian

And totalbiscuit is still bitching on twitter about this. I think he doesn't fully understand that a lot major websites expect off course IGN did not even write about it for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom