• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, fresh, I don't hate your idea as it basically turns on DRM for those that want convenience and turns it off for people who want to keep the value of their disc (or the ability to let your wife play god of war on her system, in my case...). But I think it's a bit too late for them to just invent a new DRM scheme without delaying the system. I think basically the only options this late into game is on or off since the systems begin production within a month or so.

But I would also just say that those who want convenience (which I am on, for the record) just buy it digitally. It's no like boxes are even worth anything anymore... they are cheaply made, covered in slogans and marketing ho-ha and have no instruction booklets. Screw it - go digital.

Akihidas

Baller, am I like really bad at communicating or did you actually read my post? I said that you have the option to keep the game tied to the disk.

What I mean by that is if the game is tied to the disc, it must be in the drive to play. THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT IS NOW!!!! The online check is only for if you do NOT have the disc. In other words, with my system, you do not have to mess with internet or DRM or anything if you don't want to, just choose "keep game assigned to disk" and never have to deal with it again. Trade your game, sell it, blah blah blah, EXACTLY AS IN THE CURRENT SYSTEM.

It all just seems rather pointless, if they're really adamant about installing the full game just make it so that you can only play with the disc inserted (you know, as usual). No messing about with any bullshit then

Gold Member
Baller, am I like really bad at communicating or did you actually read my post? I said that you have the option to keep the game tied to the disk.

What I mean by that is if the game is tied to the disc, it must be in the drive to play. THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT IS NOW!!!! The online check is only for if you do NOT have the disc. In other words, with my system, you do not have to mess with internet or DRM or anything if you don't want to, just choose "keep game assigned to disk" and never have to deal with it again. Trade your game, sell it, blah blah blah, EXACTLY AS IN THE CURRENT SYSTEM.
He is right though, it's still incredibly convoluted and pretty much unnecessary. If they are going to do that they may as well save themselves the money and keep it as it is.

yeah i read that post after bro :)

Well thanks. Then...did you like it then? See, I've always been PC, ya know, and I like not having to have the disc in the drive. The reason I came to Xbox was because of, well, console exclusives (plan on getting Ps3 later). But very importantly, I came to consoles because of simplicity. What I'm trying to do is think of a solution for both. And for those who like the current system, I simply devised a plan which I haven't seen anywhere else on the internet, to allow them to keep the current system.

Jondoyle123

Neo Member
Well thanks. Then...did you like it then? See, I've always been PC, ya know, and I like not having to have the disc in the drive. The reason I came to Xbox was because of, well, console exclusives (plan on getting Ps3 later). But very importantly, I came to consoles because of simplicity. What I'm trying to do is think of a solution for both. And for those who like the current system, I simply devised a plan which I haven't seen anywhere else on the internet, to allow them to keep the current system.

in total honesty i hate the mear mention of DRM and online only

so would rather they minamized any procedures

in total honesty i hate the mear mention of DRM and online only

so would rather they minamized any procedures

Can i make this simple as possible? I'll talk slowly. :)

1. Stick disk into drive. (Game asks you if you want to "Keep game assigned to disk" or "Assign disk to My Profile")
2. Press A (or X for ps4) ("Are you sure? You can change this later in the [blahblah] menu if you want to.")
3. Press A

...Soooo, basically just press A twice and your in the game and never have to mess with DRM again. Is that simple enough for you? Other stuff is just for people like me who don't like disks. See? :)

That is kind of the same as saying we will have no DRM isnt it? Sony might not have it on their console like Microsoft, but I doubt they can stop publishers.

Uh... yes they can. What would even give you that impression? They control one of the platforms publishers would put their games on.

Gold Member

1. Stick disk into drive. (Game asks you if you want to "Keep game assigned to disk" or "Assign disk to My Profile")
2. Press A (or X for ps4) ("Are you sure? You can change this later in the [blahblah] menu if you want to.")
3. Press A

...Soooo, basically just press A twice and your in the game and never have to mess with DRM again. Is that simple enough for you? Other stuff is just for people like me who don't like disks. See? :)
Or...

You could just buy the digital version, no?

Look don't get me wrong your idea is sound enough mate I just don't see the need for it when people who don't want disks can just go the DD route, that's all :) I don't see what's wrong with the current system personally, it even lets you install providing you put the disk in the drive.

For the record, fresh, I don't hate your idea as it basically turns on DRM for those that want convenience and turns it off for people who want to keep the value of their disc (or the ability to let your wife play god of war on her system, in my case...). But I think it's a bit too late for them to just invent a new DRM scheme without delaying the system. I think basically the only options this late into game is on or off since the systems begin production within a month or so.

But I would also just say that those who want convenience (which I am on, for the record) just buy it digitally. It's no like boxes are even worth anything anymore... they are cheaply made, covered in slogans and marketing ho-ha and have no instruction booklets. Screw it - go digital.

Or...

You could just buy the digital version, no?

Look don't get me wrong your idea is sound enough mate I just don't see the need for it when people who don't want disks can just go the DD route, that's all :) I don't see what's wrong with the current system personally, it even lets you install providing you put the disk in the drive.

It all just seems rather pointless, if they're really adamant about installing the full game just make it so that you can only play with the disc inserted (you know, as usual). No messing about with any bullshit then

I have a nickname already. 0_0

---

Thanks for understanding the point of my Idea, famousmortimer. :)

In all honesty, I would really like it if it was the same as now too, but Microsoft doesn't seem to want to do that, so I'm trying to compromise. Basically, my main reason for suggesting it was (1) Microsoft seems to want games to be installed (besides, couldn't this be changed via firmware/software. They haven't been manufacturing disks yet, have they?) and (2) Notice how high the prices for Digital games are? They aren't going to come down soon, AND there are people like me who don't have the bandwidth , and, this would allow me to have the convenience while still being able to sell the game later. Didn't you guys want that? It's the best of all four worlds really (the three plus digital-only for people who want that.

Come on guys, I don't got the money or bandwidth for DD only. This would give people the convenience without the difficulty.

TheLight

Uh... yes they can. What would even give you that impression? They control one of the platforms publishers would put their games on.

Sony: Our console won't have DRM!

Publisher: Cool, then it'll be implemented via software.

Color me green, but I doubt Sony can do anything besides flail their arms in a situation like this. In fact, we have seen articles come up saying "sony will leave DRM up to publishers" so it's not ludicrous to think that.

MogCakes

Come on guys, I don't got the money or bandwidth for DD only. This would give people the convenience without the difficulty.

The problem with your idea is it's complicated enough that it's impossible to shrink down to a hashtag or anything that can be easily spread. Further, Sony and MS have already spent a large amount of time considering their options, and wouldn't be very receptive to a solution that will require a lot of time and money to implement, especially so close to E3. The reason the campaign has worked so far is because the message is simple, clear, and easily to understand: no used games DRM. Lastly, having come this far, changing the message from 'no used games DRM!' to 'consider this used games DRM option!' would completely dismantle the movement. It would send a very confusing message, as well as give the impression we don't really know what we want or what we're talking about.

Yeah I checked there and the websites but no luck.

^^ ta very much
images2.jpg

Color me green, but I doubt Sony can do anything besides flail their arms in a situation like this. In fact, we have seen articles come up saying "sony will leave DRM up to publishers" so it's not ludicrous to think that.

True, but can't Sony mandate things? Like, I believe both Sony and Microsoft both said that devs had to have digital versions of their games even if they have physical versions for both the ps4 and One, correct? Well, that's rather arbitrary don't you think (I agree with it, I mean, it's just that it it's perfectly possible to not use it, hence, arbitrary)? I'm sure Sony could do that. Could someone like EA go "Well fine then, ps4 doesn't get Fifa14"? Sure they could, but they'd be loosing quite a bit of profit that way -- not to mention LOADS of angry fans.

The problem with your idea is it's complicated enough that it's impossible to shrink down to a hashtag or anything that can be easily spread. Further, Sony and MS have already spent a large amount of time considering their options, and wouldn't be very receptive to a solution that will require a lot of time and money to implement, especially so close to E3. The reason the campaign has worked so far is because the message is simple, clear, and easily to understand: no used games DRM. Lastly, having come this far, changing the message from 'no used games DRM!' to 'consider this used games DRM option!' would completely dismantle the movement. It would send a very confusing message, as well as give the impression we don't really know what we want or what we're talking about.

Well, I didn't mean it has to be a hashtag and all that. Besides, like I said, "besides, couldn't this be changed via firmware/software. They haven't been manufacturing disks yet, have they?"

Think about it like this. With all the backlash we've thrown at them, they (at least Microsoft) with have to be doing some firmware reworking regardless. My suggestion would take just as much work to do as any other. As far as my idea being "complicated" read this reply I had to someone else:

3. Press A

It's really really simple. Of course it looks complicated when I describe it, but so does EVERY SINGLE IDEA DEALING WITH THIS KIND OF STUFF. To the consumer, as described above, it can hardly be simpler.

Which is a complete fucking cop out on Sony's part.

So how will publishers use DRM without Sony being complicit in it's use?

So, on Wednesday, do we just send out a tweet with the hashtag, or do we tweet to those at Sony again?

At sony (or microsoft... or both). I mean, feel free to just tweet the hashtag as well just to give the thing a little kickstart. But the goal is to talk directly with sony one last time before they leave for LA.

So, on Wednesday, do we just send out a tweet with the hashtag, or do we tweet to those at Sony again?

Basically, but I'm also going to set up an entire page of new tweet links on the website to target publishers, PR shills, basically everyone we know about who has a Twitter account.

MogCakes

Well, I didn't mean it has to be a hashtag and all that. Besides, like I said, "besides, couldn't this be changed via firmware/software. They haven't been manufacturing disks yet, have they?"

Think about it like this. With all the backlash we've thrown at them, they (at least Microsoft) with have to be doing some firmware reworking regardless. My suggestion would take just as much work to do as any other. As far as my idea being "complicated" read this reply I had to someone else:

It's really really simple. Of course it looks complicated when I describe it, but so does EVERY SINGLE IDEA DEALING WITH THIS KIND OF STUFF. To the consumer, as described above, it can hardly be simpler.
Sony and MS have already been working on all kinds of options like I said - this isn't something they just threw together. They've most likely already considered your idea in several forms. My point is there's no need to further complicate the message we're sending - and your idea will definitely complicate the message.

At sony (or microsoft... or both). I mean, feel free to just tweet the hashtag as well just to give the thing a little kickstart. But the goal is to talk directly with sony one last time before they leave for LA.
Basically, but I'm also going to set up an entire page of new tweet links on the website to target publishers, PR shills, basically everyone we know about who has a Twitter account.
Okay, sounds good. :) That page with tweet links is going to be very handy. I'm definitely going to use that.

"DRM for convenience"?

No thank you.

The status quo works fine for games that install. The only issue arises when the incredibly lazy want to buy a physical retail product, install it and go "discless" as if they bought a digital product.

If you want a digital product, buy the digital product with all the benefits and drawbacks that entails.

Gold Member
"DRM for convenience"?

No thank you.

The status quo works fine for games that install. The only issue arises when the incredibly lazy want to buy a physical retail product, install it and go "discless" as if they bought a digital product.

If you want a digital product, buy the digital product with all the benefits and drawbacks that entails.
I agree completely.

"DRM for convenience"?

No thank you.

It'd help if you actually read the post (the relevant part) and the subsequent posts. "DRM for convenience" is not really accurate at all. Think about it, wouldn't it be awesome if we could just install the disc and then sell it? Sure it would, but it would put devs out of business if it was just that simple. The "Convenience" famousmortimer is referring to in my post is this what I said a sentence ago but with a solution that, unlike Harrison's, is not anti-consumer. In fact, my idea allows you to avoid the DRM completely! Not only that, but it allows you to jump in and out of the DRM without the necessity of a middle man at the FRIGGIN PUSH OF A BUTTON! How can you guys not like this? In my solution, if you don't like the DRM and want it the same as it has always been, just stick the disk in and press "A" (or "X") twice and you're in....TWICE. How can you say "No thank you?" Please read before posting guys.

Baller, now do you think this is "blah blah blah worst idea ever"?

emb

"DRM for convenience"?

No thank you.

I think the data cap and bandwidth issues are valid ones though.

I don't like the idea of having the possibility to ruin normal discs regardless. Even if there's some sort of sign, that still leaves open possibilities like losing access to the account it was activated on, and then losing your game. It would have all these almost legit copies floating around, that were already hollowed out.

My solution would be to just sell disposable install discs. Instead of selling download codes, go that route. All the advantage of digital, no harm to actual physical media hopefully. And it's not like the disc itself or its packaging is a huge cost to the makers.

I think the data cap and bandwidth issues are valid ones though.

I don't like the idea of having the possibility to ruin normal discs regardless. Even if there's some sort of sign, that still leaves open possibilities like losing access to the account it was activated on, and then losing your game. It would have all these almost legit copies floating around, that were already hollowed out.

My solution would be to just sell disposable install discs. Instead of selling download codes, go that route. All the advantage of digital, no harm to actual physical media hopefully. And it's not like the disc itself or its packaging is a huge cost to the makers.

michael-scott-no-o.gif

Dude, ok, this whole #PS4NoDRM and #PSRUsedgames is precisely what we're trying to help along, and your post is the opposite of what we're trying NOT to do. Also, please read the post above as well as my first post (it's literally my first post). Don't bog yourself down, just read the relevant part. See? I'm trying to allow both.

To those of you who think Microsoft already considered this...I'm pretty sure they didn't, as evidenced by the fact that I have not found a single person on the internet (I searched for hours) who has suggested -- Not to mention the fact that, though it's incredibly simple if you would just read it (and if not, just read my subsequent posts), hardly anybody seems to understand it. Jeez people, learn to read. We're better than that.

Think of it like this: If you don't want to read a long long post, fine. However, if you decide not to read it, then PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASE don't respond!

So speaking of DRM and such, today I'm trying to play The Last Remnant. Now my 360 isn't connected online since it's an older model and requires the wire or a 99 dollar wifi connector (though probably cheaper now). It gives me this error when loading my save:

"Load failed. Please download a required update to load this data"

Now I've been online about a week ago, and there was no "update", and I doubt SE updated the game ever anyways.

So i googled the problem I have:
http://www.gamespot.com/the-last-remnant/forum/wtf-help-please-load-failed-47192844/

So in order to load my save, since I have DLC, I NEED to be connected to the internet so it get check the DLC for verfication, wtf?

See this is the bullshit I don't want next gen. I cannot play the game because of a pre-order bonus DLC I installed. Jesus Christ.

So speaking of DRM and such, today I'm trying to play The Last Remnant. Now my 360 isn't connected online since it's an older model and requires the wire or a 99 dollar wifi connector (though probably cheaper now). It gives me this error when loading my save:

"Load failed. Please download a required update to load this data"

Now I've been online about a week ago, and there was no "update", and I doubt SE updated the game ever anyways.

So i googled the problem I have:
http://www.gamespot.com/the-last-remnant/forum/wtf-help-please-load-failed-47192844/

So in order to load my save, since I have DLC, I NEED to be connected to the internet so it get check the DLC for verfication, wtf?

See this is the bullshit I don't want next gen. I cannot play the game because of a pre-order bonus DLC I installed. Jesus Christ.

Yup. I remember a post user DocSeuss made about trying to play a Ubisoft game (can't remember the name) on his lap top while riding in a car and, while the game booted up, it simply would not allow him to access his saves are use his DLC. SOOOOOO dumb. Were I a developer, I'd keep that insanity a million miles away from my stuff.

It'd help if you actually read the post (the relevant part) and the subsequent posts. "DRM for convenience" is not really accurate at all. Think about it, wouldn't it be awesome if we could just install the disc and then sell it? Sure it would, but it would put devs out of business if it was just that simple. The "Convenience" famousmortimer is referring to in my post is this what I said a sentence ago but with a solution that, unlike Harrison's, is not anti-consumer. In fact, my idea allows you to avoid the DRM completely! Not only that, but it allows you to jump in and out of the DRM without the necessity of a middle man at the FRIGGIN PUSH OF A BUTTON! How can you guys not like this? In my solution, if you don't like the DRM and want it the same as it has always been, just stick the disk in and press "A" (or "X") twice and you're in....TWICE. How can you say "No thank you?" Please read before posting guys.

Baller, now do you think this is "blah blah blah worst idea ever"?
I read your posts. The idea is convoluted and pointless, given the status quo works fine. The idea as stated would not work, as publishers would not go for it, because it defeats the purpose of DRM - trying to extract revenue from secondary sales.

Not having a disc in the drive is purely a convenience issue. One that I have no sympathy for.

The high price, the bandwidth usage, those are the drawbacks you incur if you want a discless digital console.

Your idea that this is some novel idea is also false. It has been suggested that publishers/platform holders could allow users to deactivate ties to accounts - for a fee.

I read your posts. The idea is convoluted and pointless, given the status quo works fine. The idea as stated would not work, as publishers would not go for it, because it defeats the purpose of DRM - trying to extract revenue from secondary sales.

Well duh, but that's precisely why we are here, to convince them to not block used games. All I'm trying to do is say, "Hey, you can get rid of used games, publishers, but you don't have to get rid of at least the option for disk-less while your at it."

Also, how is this complicated?:

3. Press A

YOU DO NOT EVEN HAVE TO TOUCH THE DRM IF YOU DON'T WANT TOOOOOO

Not having a disc in the drive is purely a convenience issue. One that I have no sympathy for.

...so what. Lot's of people do, and a lot of those people don't have the internet speed or bandwidth caps to do DD. What's wrong with options? This is not that hard to implement, dude.

The high price, the bandwidth usage, those are the drawbacks you incur if you want a discless digital console.

They don't have to be. My solution is simple. For a company like Microsoft, an operating system factory no less, this can't be hard. It would not take any more work than any other system would.

Your idea that this is some novel idea is also false. It has been suggested that publishers/platform holders could allow users to deactivate ties to accounts - for a fee.

No, it has not been suggested. Something similar, yes, has. The problem with the one your are refering to is that it does not allow the simplicity of the current system to be an option. In mine, after pressing "A" twice, you never have to see the DRM again. In the one you are refering to, people have to be connected to the internet all the time (ok every 24 hrs), it necessitates a middle man (gamestop and their stupidly low trade-in rates), and trading games is pretty much impossible (Harrison said that a friend can play on his console, sure, but it has to be on the owners user. But who wants to do that? I would like to play the game on my user account thank you very much, and I don't want to be connected all the time to do so.). Harrison's proposed system needs a lot of, well, needless stuff. I'm trying to provide a system that is not as convoluted as his. No, shinra-bashno, my idea is not the same. I am not inclined to believe you actually listened to what you read.

You create a situation in which anyone purchasing in the downstream market does not know whether the game they're buying is already tied to an account.

Your proposed "solution" still requires an internet-based DRM even for people who have the retail disc.

Your "solution" entails that someone purchasing a title may not be able to play it for a week; I don't know why anyone would consider that reasonable.

Your proposed solution requires that even if someone wants to go disc-less, the entire point of this pointless system, they would still need to put the disc in periodically defeating the entire purpose.

Your solution is not a solution to DRM at all. It creates multiple layers of DRM, not just one. All so that the few - appalled by the shockingly awful idea of having a disc in the system while playing a game - can install their games and eject their disc (for a week max).

Your solution is not "simple" in the broad view. It is simple for you, who wants to be able to pretend physical purchases are digital ones (while for some reason ignoring that you haven't even created a disc-less solution). It is needlessly convoluted for everyone else who is perfectly fine with the status quo.

And again, it has been suggested on here already that a system could or should be implemented to allow for private transactions i.e. not through a retailer middle-man, but for a fee, since that's the point of all this DRM, revenue extraction.
Will we ? I haven't heard anything about a customer not being able to pay the fee to deactivate the game from his account and sell it on their own.
Take away the fee, and it's the same idea - self-deactivation for private transaction purposes - it is not a novel concept. And it defeats the purpose of the thread, that being the retail disc should not be tied to an account in the first place, it is a retail disc.

Fresh Face, move along. This is not the proper venue for your
idiotic
discussion. This is our thread for mobilizing and strategy planning for #PS4NoDRM and #XboxOneNoDRM. Go thread shit somewhere else. There's a reason why Juniors can't make new threads.

Back on topic, a Newsfeed has been added to the Xbone website as well. Both websites have now achieved parity. Ready for Wednesday!

Also, couldn't help myself but to register XBONENoDRM.com
8Mzl3Ia.gif

You create a situation in which anyone purchasing in the downstream market does not know whether the game they're buying is already tied to an account.

Your proposed "solution" still requires an internet-based DRM even for people who have the retail disc.

Your "solution" entails that someone purchasing a title may not be able to play it for a week; I don't know why anyone would consider that reasonable.

Your proposed solution requires that even if someone wants to go disc-less, the entire point of this pointless system, they would still need to put the disc in periodically defeating the entire purpose.

Your solution is not a solution. It creates multiple layers of DRM, not just one. All so that the few can install their games and eject their disc (for a week max).

Your solution is not "simple" in the broad view. It is simple for you, who wants to be able to pretend physical purchases are digital ones (while for some reason ignoring that you haven't even created a disc-less solution). It is needlessly convoluted for everyone else who is perfectly fine with the status quo.

And again, it has been suggested on here already that a system could or should be implemented to allow for private transactions i.e. not through a retailer middle-man, but for a fee, since that's the point of all this DRM, revenue extraction.
Take away the fee, and it's the same idea - self-deactivation for private transaction purposes - it is not a novel concept. And it defeats the purpose of the thread, that being the retail disc should not be tied to an account in the first place, it is a retail disc.

Four things:

1. How hard is it to understand that my system is currently the only one that still allows for the current system to be an option?

2. "Your proposed "solution" still requires an internet-based DRM even for people who have the retail disc." No it does not. This is only the case if you want to go disk-less.

3. A week long wait a MAXIMUM. The next time the original owner connects to the internet, he can no longer play the game, and the second player is perfectly free to.

4. Concerning the fact that this is not a totally disk-less situation. Of course it isn't, but it's better than nothing. It doesn't take away your ability to download games if you wish. You have three options in this situation, two of which are already available. If you don't like the third one, fine, don't use it. If you do want to go utterly and completely disk-less, then go DD only and don't complain. It's an option for those who want it. You don't have to participate in it, so why are you complaining? My system allows for options, Harrison's does not.

You know, I just thought of something, since "Bob" in the example has to connect to the internet every week....then why does he have to have the disk? Oops, I think I found a hole in my plan, but this is a good hole, because guess what, dude: I just realized that you can go disk-less forever. And yes, I know, a week still isn't as good as it could be, but Microsoft seems to be insistent that the console is connected to the internet periodically, isn't a week better than 24 hours? All I'm trying to do is make it less bad than Microsoft is making it.

Fresh Face, move along. This is not the proper venue for your
idiotic
discussion. This is our thread for mobilizing and strategy planning for #PS4NoDRM and #XboxOneNoDRM. Go thread shit somewhere else. There's a reason why Juniors can't make new threads.

Back on topic, a Newsfeed has been added to the Xbone website as well. Both websites have now achieved parity. Ready for Wednesday!

Also, couldn't help myself but to register XBONENoDRM.com
8Mzl3Ia.gif

First, yeah sorry for hijacking the thread, though I'm not sure why you consider it idiotic. I mean, it's really simple and allows the gamer to keep things the way they are if they don't want to get into the whole disk-less thing -- basically, it's exactly the same if you want it to be. Contrary to what you originally said, no it is perfectly in line with what this thread is for because it allows for used games. I wish you would have actually read what I said.

As for "There's a reason why Juniors can't make new threads," well, if I had been able to, I wouldn't have hijacked the thread, which is what your complaining about...

1. How hard is it to understand that my system is currently the only one that still allows for the current system to be an option?
The current "system" i.e. the status quo isn't an option? Your system adds layers of DRM, it does not maintain the current "system." The point of this thread is to not restrict used games/enforce internet-based DRM checks. It is to maintain the current system, which is no system at all.
2. "Your proposed "solution" still requires an internet-based DRM even for people who have the retail disc." No it does not. This is only the case if you want to go disk-less.
Sophie buys her second hand disc from dishonest Bob. She cannot play it without it "unlocking on her account the next time she connects to the internet." So yes it is internet-based DRM.
3. A week long wait a MAXIMUM. The next time the original owner connects to the internet, he can no longer play the game, and the second player is perfectly free to.
Writing maximum in capitals doesn't change that it's a week after which someone has purchased a physical retail product that they cannot use it, after which they must connect to the internet to unlock that physical product, only after which they can decide that they will use it as it was intended as a physical retail product rather than a digital product with a weekly disc-based DRM-check.
Harrison's does not.
Microsoft's DRM sounds terrible, having a DRM that is better than their DRM isn't the intent of this campaign. The point of this isn't to try and make a less terrible but still terrible DRM that lets you play disc-less for a week yay. It's to get them to not implement any terrible draconian DRM.

MogCakes

Four things

Dude, this is not the place for your argument. There are a few relevant threads you can posit your idea in on the board, but THIS thread is for ideas and communication on the strategy for the PS4NoDRM/XboxOneNoDRM movement. You've been arguing with people nonstop since your first post, and it's getting to the point of derailing the topic.

Deitus

First, yeah sorry for hijacking the thread, though I'm not sure why you consider it idiotic. I mean, it's really simple and allows the gamer to keep things the way they are if they don't want to get into the whole disk-less thing -- basically, it's exactly the same if you want it to be. Contrary to what you originally said, no it is perfectly in line with what this thread is for because it allows for used games. I wish you would have actually read what I said.

As for "There's a reason why Juniors can't make new threads," well, if I had been able to, I wouldn't have hijacked the thread, which is what your complaining about...

It's not in line with this thread, because this thread is about a campaign to convince Sony and Microsoft not to implement DRM, not the dream scenario in which DRM is completely beneficial to the customer, entirely unobtrusive, and totally fails at performing the task for which it was designed (blocking used sales). That option was never on the table with Microsoft and Sony. If they are going to design a system level DRM system, you can bet its because they think it will make them money.

It's not that the idea never occurred to anyone else, it's that we don't believe it's a possible outcome, so we are campaigning for things more realistic, like treating a physical disc the way consoles have always treated physical discs.

The current "system" i.e. the status quo isn't an option? Your system adds layers of DRM, it does not maintain the current "system." The point of this thread is to not restrict used games/enforce internet-based DRM checks. It is to maintain the current system, which is no system at all.Sophie buys her second hand disc from dishonest Bob. She cannot play it without it "unlocking on her account the next time she connects to the internet." So yes it is internet-based DRM.
Writing maximum in capitals doesn't change that it's a week after which someone has purchased a physical retail product that they cannot use it, after which they must connect to the internet to unlock that physical product, only after which they can decide that they will use it as it was intended as a physical retail product rather than a digital product with a weekly disc-based DRM-check.
Microsoft's DRM sounds terrible, having a DRM. The point of this isn't to try and make a less terrible but still terrible DRM that lets you play disc-less for a week yay. It's to get them to not implement any terrible draconian DRM.

See my edit.

I get what your saying. As I said before, I honestly would rather it stay the way it is now. Also, the bit about about it being internet based. It is only if you fall into that situation, which can be avoided on the internet by simply emailing the seller. It can be avoided even more assuredly buying it locally because you could have Microsoft give certain stores the ability to override the previous owners ownership. So if you buy brick and mortar, you still do not need to connect to the internet. As far as, "but dishonest Bob," well....dishonest Bob can also sell you a scratched disk that wont play. He can tell you his online pass is still good when it isn't. These are inherent risks of buying used. So, I provided a way to get around this problem. A scratched disk and a used online pass cannot be avoided. My system allows it. It also allows you more secure ways (like the Gamestop thing
though I myself never go there
) if you are worried about buying over the internet. Again see my edit.

Dude, this is not the place for your argument. There are a few relevant threads you can posit your idea in on the board, but THIS thread is for ideas and communication on the strategy for the PS4NoDRM/XboxOneNoDRM movement. You've been arguing with people nonstop since your first post, and it's getting to the point of derailing the topic.

See my previous post.

Again, very sorry for the derail. If I could have created a new thread for the topic, I would have. I only used this one because I could not find the relevant threads you are referring to. Apologies, guys.

It's not in line with this thread, because this thread is about a campaign to convince Sony and Microsoft not to implement DRM, not the dream scenario in which DRM is completely beneficial to the customer, entirely unobtrusive, and totally fails at performing the task for which it was designed (blocking used sales). That option was never on the table with Microsoft and Sony. If they are going to design a system level DRM system, you can bet its because they think it will make them money.

It's not that the idea never occurred to anyone else, it's that we don't believe it's a possible outcome, so we are campaigning for things more realistic, like treating a physical disc the way consoles have always treated physical discs.

First of all, you do realize that having to have the disk in at all times to play (the current system) is technically DRM, right? Yes, you probably do, alright. So, DRM then is not, like you say, simply for blocking used game sales, it is generally for keeping more than one person playing a game at a time (not including Split-screen type stuff). Again, as I have said a few times, I would rather it be the same as well, I'm just trying to compromise is all. It is an option, nothing else. People say they have read my stuff but I get the feeling they are just skimming it. The DRM stuff is an option. Not as good as the current system, but a helluva lot better than that which Harrison has proposed, and if that's all I can get, then I'll take it. I seriously doubt that Microsoft will give up their whole always-online thing completely, I'm just trying to push it. Not to say I wont join in on the 5th though. I am totally with you guys, yes, the current system is the best. :)

---

BTW, can someone get me both of those avatar bands, I'm miserable with photoshop and It's terribly late where I am. Thanks. :)

Again, sorry for the derail

BTW, can someone get me both of those avatar bands, I'm miserable with photoshop and It's terribly late where I am. Thanks. :)
I tried to keep the text clear, and the filesize is a bit too small, so I had to do a bit of rotating and resizing to get it to work. Here you go:

savatar.png

Maybe someone who's actually good with photo editing can help you more.

EDIT: I should check for recent replies before posting. =3

Amatsu

Neo Member
Just catching up on the thread since I just got home - also, got a nice retweet from Marcus Beer today - have to say, that felt pretty good.

YMBNOut.png

Even Yahoo News is reporting on this now. It was in the front page list.

http://news.yahoo.com/gamers-plan-campaign-end-drm-xbox-one-playstation-205008760.html

Added, thanks. Coverage for Phase II has been a lot better than expected considering we haven't even begun in ernest yet. Positive omens!

http://www.xboxonenodrm.com/press-coverage.html
http://www.ps4nodrm.com/press-coverage.html

Stuart444

I'll be out at the start of phase 2 (was going to go out today instead but plans changed ;_; ). Look forward to seeing how phase 2 is going when I get home tomorrow night though.

PFD

When I posted this in the Xbox hype thread prior to the reveal, I was mocked

drm89b1ms9ugu.png

It's funny how things turned out

Not saying I'm glad about this. DRM hurts everyone

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again now... the folks tasked with contacting the media did an amazing job.

I've also done a number of interviews over the last couple days which should start popping up today. We should keep pushing - those that aren't burnt out atleast - for sites that haven't mentioned it. But even if everything stays as is I think the word is out there that tomorrow is our final push.

I have a somewhat choppy day in terms of time available to me... including an evaluation at work that can potentially throw a monkey-wrench into my brain chemistry. But for the most part I will be around during the day... and then at night Im driving to providence to go see The National... but I will probably just be sitting in the corner answering emails - haha.

And then I'll get like 3 hours of sleep and..... PHASE TWO.

After that i would like to sleep until Monday, though my job might not like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom