• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Oversight... how can professionals overlook something so elementary?

Yeah, not buying into the "devs forgot to turn it on" theory. There is a reason, I would just like one of these devs to come out and tell us what it is.

Javin98

Banned
Payday 2

8SRpoCe.png
Yep, just read the DF article. This is beyond ridiculous, since Sony are already helping devs to fix these AF issues. The least we can hope for now is a patch, just like in DMC and Dying Light.

It's a strange situation because some PS4 games have AF like Dark Souls 2 and some games have been patched after release to fix the AF, so the PS4 is more than able to do AF, it appears to be a problem on the development side, not a problem with the PS4.

Stacey

Banned
Yep, just read the DF article. This is beyond ridiculous, since Sony are already helping devs to fix these AF issues. The least we can hope for now is a patch, just like in DMC and Dying Light.

Overkill/starbreeze are among the laziest devs I've witnessed in years. Don't expect a patch beyond the bare minimum of fixes.

Javin98

Banned
Overkill/starbreeze are among the laziest devs I've witnessed in years. Don't expect a patch beyond the bare minimum of fixes.
Jeez... This makes it even worse. Even Street Fighter 4 got an AF patch in just a week, though it's not for all stages IIRC.

Macrotus

Thx for multiple replies.
I'm glad its not something with the PS4.

I really hope devs stop "forgetting(?)" to enable AF.
Because its quite frustrating when it happens over and over.

EGM1966

Oversight... how can professionals overlook something so elementary?
Let me reverse that. How come what looks like 95% plus of developers manage to add it?

Are they wizards? Do they know something the minority don't? Are they putting in 120% vs the "lazy devs" minority?

Too many people are trying to extrapolate something from a small data set (games with AF issues) while conveniently ignoring the elephant in the room; the much, much larger data set of games with AF (and games that appeared to easily add it after missing it on release).

Bottom line some devs, for reasons unknown, are failing to properly add AF to the PS4 version and the console and its SDK/API clearly supports it.

To be honest though I'll leave the arguing to those that can't let it go. Case seems closed to me from what I've read publicly noted and the facts at hand.

Lemondish

Let me reverse that. How come what looks like 95% plus of developers manage to add it?

Are they wizards? Do they know something the minority don't? Are they putting in 120% vs the "lazy devs" minority?

Too many people are trying to extrapolate something from a small data set (games with AF issues) while conveniently ignoring the elephant in the room; the much, much larger data set of games with AF (and games that appeared to easily add it after missing it on release).

Bottom line some devs, for reasons unknown, are failing to properly add AF to the PS4 version and the console and its SDK/API clearly supports it.

To be honest though I'll leave the arguing to those that can't let it go. Case seems closed to me from what I've read publicly noted and the facts at hand.

This subject will likely rear its ugly head each time a new developer releases their first title on the new machines and everybody rushes to discuss the oversight. I dread the potential shenanigans following Arkane's Dishonored remaster or *gasp* even Fallout 4.

Mabufu

Banned

You are ignoring that a lot of games came with AF in XBOX and not in PS4.
So there's clearly something going on here.

Maybe it is on by default with the XBOX SDK but not in PS4?
I mean, something was "clearly going on" with DmC with your reasoning. Then Ninja Theory tweeted they would look into it, and bam, within about a week there was a patch with a single function - turn on AF. What do you think COULD have been going on there?

Mabufu

Banned
Maybe it is on by default with the XBOX SDK but not in PS4?
I mean, something was "clearly going on" with DmC with your reasoning. Then Ninja Theory tweeted they would look into it, and bam, within about a week there was a patch with a single function - turn on AF. What do you think COULD have been going on there?

Off by default like some others are saying.
But that's weird. It should have been changed by now...

Sorry but I don´t buy this "Developers forgot to check a box in the SDK" line ;-)

Why not? How else could it be so quick to fix, and have no performance hit?

I think this issue resonates with people because it exposes the fact that developers do not care about the image quality of their product as much as the customers do, which is pretty amazing when you consider it. But I must confess in person, I would hardly notice AF.

Truespeed

I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of PS4 games with no AF and the number of games that are developed with the Xbox One as the lead platform.

EGM1966

Comprehension skills - how do they work? Did you read my post at all? I'm not ignoring the games without AF, I'm pointing out when 1% doesn't have AF and 99% does you don't jump to the conclusion the PS4 is the common factor (which is contradicted by the 99%) and instead you reach the informed view that the 1% is specific to the developers.

There is something going on - some developers, either by leading on PC or XB1 or being more familiar with DirectX or Unreal Engine requiring some specific tweaks for PS4 for AF vs XB1 with DirectX, is causing some titles to omit AF due to developer error. This is further confirmed by the developers who have been able to patch AF in without any issue.

However some are determined to try and ignore the 99% evidence and keep pushing the idea the PS4 has an issue which the evidence just doesn't support.

Read carefully next time.

I wonder if there is a correlation between the number of PS4 games with no AF and the number of games that are developed with the Xbox One as the lead platform.
Anecdotal as can be, but Project Cars also has worse AF in PS4, and looking at the performance difference, it also seems to me like they used the PS4 version as lead.

SaucyJack

I doubt its a problem with the SDK, more of an oversight from the developers. AF is likely off by default.

this is FUD the PS4 is capable of it, and it was confirmed ages ago that its not a problem with the API. Like i've said above, likely an oversight by developers.

FUD is exactly the right term to use.

18 months into the gen and you don't even need to take your socks off to count the number of games that have an AF issue on PS4 with the reasons being well understood and documented (developer oversight) and many of those being patched already.

Mabufu

Banned
Comprehension skills - how do they work? Did you read my post at all? I'm not ignoring the games without AF, I'm pointing out when 1% doesn't have AF and 99% does you don't jump to the conclusion the PS4 is the common factor (which is contradicted by the 99%) and instead you reach the informed view that the 1% is specific to the developers.

There is something going on - some developers, either by leading on PC or XB1 or being more familiar with DirectX or Unreal Engine requiring some specific tweaks for PS4 for AF vs XB1 with DirectX, is causing some titles to omit AF due to developer error. This is further confirmed by the developers who have been able to patch AF in without any issue.

However some are determined to try and ignore the 99% evidence and keep pushing the idea the PS4 has an issue which the evidence just doesn't support.

Read carefully next time.

I readed it well.
The AF thing became some sort of a trend, hence this thread.

If I'd said somethiong like "PS4 isnt capable of it" I would understood your reply. But I didnt. I said "there's something going on", and that's a fact.

thelastword

Banned
Any news on Batman's AF for PS4 vs XBO?
Batman has 8xAF on the PS4, the xbone version is unknown yet since there's no coverage of it yet, but I imagine it's the same.

Someone should inform the Payday devs that their game has no AF on the PS4 and that we need it patched. I think it's beyond embarrassing for those devs at this point. I absolutely do not believe that they forgot it either as some are saying, they were conscious enough to implement trilinear filtering but not Aniso, whilst giving the XB1 16xAF?

I think we make too many excuses for these devs, this is the most basic thing to implement. A game which should be running 1080p 60fps with 16xAF is running 1080p 30fps 0XAF on PS4 is just embarrassing.

Cyborg

Why don't you both shut up about it? How ridiculous to sit here and name PC games that do and don't support 16x AF out of the millions of PC games out there. You two are why no one can have a decent conversation on this god damn website.

No way in hell PC has millions games! You lie :(

dr_rus

I doubt its a problem with the SDK, more of an oversight from the developers. AF is likely off by default.
It's unlikely that AF is on by default on any platform. Since this isn't a h/w problem - which is proven more than once already so no point in discussing this again - the only possible explanation is the SDK "issue" which prevents some games from properly transferring AF settings from the dev environment to the console runtime. I'm saying "issue" because it's really likely to be a peculiarity of software layer more than an issue which makes it unnecessary hard to control.

Why don't you both shut up about it? How ridiculous to sit here and name PC games that do and don't support 16x AF out of the millions of PC games out there. You two are why no one can have a decent conversation on this god damn website.
You're fast.

dr_rus

Everybody says the game is gorgeous.

I thought something was wrong with my PS4, but no, other games look great....

This looks bleh. Especially compared to Ethan Carter.

Yeah, there's a clear lack of proper AF in EIGTTR. Anyone's willing to ping them on Twitter about that?

impact

Banned

This game looks legitimately bad in this screen

"Everybody" must be high as fuck or not care about their blurred textures.

Why on earth? I can only assume a dev does not care enough about their game's visuals at this point if they do not at least have 8xAF. Other games do it, you should too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why on earth? I can only assume a dev does not care enough about their game's visuals at this point if they do not at least have 8xAF. Other games do it, you should too.

at this point, after all the pages in this thread, that is the conclusion you come to?

It is disappointing though, and I hope they can patch it in. Weren't they getting tech support from Sony XDEV or Santa Monica?

at this point, after all the pages in this thread, that is the conclusion you come to?

It is disappointing though, and I hope they can patch it in. Weren't they getting tech support from Sony XDEV or Santa Monica?

I come to that conclusion because a number of games on PS4 have been patched to have reasonably good AF. At first it seemed like it was an API-dev interfacing problem where devs did not get how to implement it. But now if a game does not have it now, I can only assume it is not a system problem anymore but a decision by the dev. It is so glaringly obvious to anyone who cares a tiny bit about graphics (and it must be super easy for a graphics engineer to spot), that I can only assume they said other things are more important.

It's certainly a mixed bag when it comes to graphics.

It can almost look photorealistic at times and others it's a blurry mess.

Melchiah

This game looks legitimately bad in this screen

"Everybody" must be high as fuck or not care about their blurred textures.

It also has some pop-in issues, and the screenshots don't really do the game justice. It looks better when playing, which I guess is something you haven't done.

dr_rus

I6b293U.png
UA6TOkc.png

Elsewhere, texture filtering takes a hit on the PS4 with a trilinear implementation visibly impacting texture quality on distant scenery and surfaces when viewed off-axis. By comparison, a high degree of anisotropic filtering is present on both PC and Xbox One, better preserving the quality of the artwork.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-dishonored-definitive-edition-face-off

1066.gif

Kinda funny that there's this "why call devs lazy" thread around 'cause I see no other explanation for this shit anymore.

Oneself

I noticed a lack of AF in some places in MGSV, I don't know if the same for all "current gen" version. (by that I mean PS4/XB1/PC)

Investigators?

Top Bottom