• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 chipset limited you 32gbps over HDMI 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought this was a bit surprising. Apparently only Xbox can offer high bitrate 4k120hz output, while ps5 is limited to 422yuv.

Perhaps some of you with the console saw this, but here it is.

At least those who choose 60fps options in ps5 games will get the full rgb 4k60hz, unlike x1x and ps4 pro. Thoughts?

My phone messed up the thread title, mods can correct it if they want.

Last edited:
Google it. Would have taken the same time as asking that. PS5 Ultimate FAQ.

That update is for 8K support though.

Will PS5 require a 4K TV? What resolutions are supported?

No, PS5 does not require a 4K TV. Supported resolutions are 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p. PS5 can output resolutions up to 2160p (4K UHD) when connected to a 4K display.

PS5 is compatible with 8K displays at launch, and after a future system software update will be able to output resolutions up to 8K when content is available, with supported software.

formatdataratetable-100743742-large.jpg

This might be helpful for the discussion.

inflation

image.png

Found something interesting... This info only appears on Google's cache. The person removed the line in the page. If it's true, then a 1200MHz pixel clock Retimer could achieve 42 Gbps

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm sure Sony is aware of this and has been planning to update whatever this is in a patch long before this video was made. Isn't that what we say at times like this?

Seriously, though. How many people does this really impact?

Lone Wolf

And VRR?

They have a 48gbps spec in the x900h, and they were hocking that TV alongside the PS5 working closely together with their other divisions. I would be shocked if it weren’t a matching setup.
can 32 gbps do VRR at 4K I have no idea. I’m surprised it’s currently 32 right now. It should get updated but why even have it at 32 right now?

Jigga117

I'm sure Sony is aware of this and has been planning to update whatever this is in a patch long before this video was made. Isn't that what we say at times like this?

People that expected at least 40.1 who purchased TVs for the PS5 and future TVs that will have HDMI 2.1. You know how normal technology evolves and this becomes the norm

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
can 32 gbps do VRR at 4K I have no idea. I’m surprised it’s currently 32 right now. It should get updated but why even have it at 32 right now?

Probably waiting on how they choose to certify it before unlocking. They did the same on their TVs as have others. They shipped with a 48gbps cable even though it wasn’t certified yet. Cables were tested and verified.

So PS5's HDMI 2.1 isn't even real 2.1 which is 48gbps?

Wow.

Well here's the difference between the different HDMIs.

featuresupport-100743741-orig-1120x651.jpg

Sony already confirmed HDMI 2.1 for the PS5.

The PS5 console is compatible with 8K displays through HDMI 2.1 support.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
People that expected at least 40.1 who purchased TVs for the PS5 and future TVs that will have HDMI 2.1. You know how normal technology evolves and this becomes the norm
How many people purchased TV's for a PS5? Is it normal to purchase a new TV just for a video game console?

skneogaf

All ps5 games that have tried to achieve 120fps have been 1080p I believe.

Xbox series x has a few games that are 4k@120fps for comparisons.

I've now been informed of one at 1440p.

Last edited:

Jigga117

How many people purchased TV's for a PS5? Is it normal to purchase a new TV just for a video game console?
? By all means do a survey If you want to know who in the world purchased any tv that is HDMI 2.1 in the last two years. It doesn’t even matter if we were 5 years into this it is still a problem if this is capped at only 32Gbps

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I got the x900h for the PS5, etc.. I was due for a gaming TV upgrade anyhow from my 4+ year old 4K set. Even made PS4 games look better with the colors and input lag compared to my older Sony that still has a great picture. Better colors, deeper blacks, everything pops even more now.

timmyp53

Did he try the TV's PC input?
From hwzone:

Very important side note to TV owners with HDMI 2.1.
Specifically LG TV owners.

If your 'Colour format' shows up as RGB like in your settings, here, it means that the PS5 is not doing any chroma subsampling. Meaning, it is outputting at the full 4:4:4 chroma.

The thing is, the LG TV will change all the inputs to output your content as 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. Even using Game Mode won't help. The only way to get full 4:4:4 chroma is to change your PS5's input to 'PC' in the Input Settings on your LG TV. And then use Game Mode in that 'PC input' of cos; because there's no ALLM.
This is very important if you want to fully utilize the full 4:4:4 chroma. Both RGB and YUV444 outputs the full 4:4:4 chroma. This means that every single pixel will get its own colour information.

Last edited:
All ps5 games that have tried to achieve 120fps have been 1080p I believe.

Xbox series x has a few games that are 4k@120fps for comparisons.

Currently the PS5s HDMI port allows it to output 4K @ 120FPS with 32GB/s. Backwards compatibility is limited to 4K 60FPs. Your going to have to look at actual PS5 games to get 4K @ 120FPs.

It impacts anyone with a 4k120hz 2.1 display.
Probably waiting on how they choose to certify it before unlocking. They did the same on their TVs as have others. They shipped with a 48gbps cable even though it wasn’t certified yet. Cables were tested and verified.
Lol

there are no 32gbps HDMI cables

Jigga117

What do PCs have to do with this?

Also if Ori is the benchmark then I think we can rest easy
and Goal post moved. It isn’t about Ori being a benchmark. The point is your saying agreeing About a comment of saying it won’t happen when we have games that do it. Future games are planned to do it. you got the internet. Do your own leg work and/or sit back and spectate to see.

and Goal post moved. It isn’t about Ori being a benchmark. The point is your saying agreeing About a comment of saying it won’t happen when we have games that do it. Future games are planned to do it. you got the internet. Do your own leg work and/or sit back and spectate to see.

Lmao what goal post? 4K 120fps IS a pipe dream. Even trash like The Falconeer can't hit 4K 120fps.

This thread is about consoles. Not your fucking PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom